Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Any avid anglers on tbhp ?
Yes. One of my favourite sports/hobbies/pastimes. 14 28.57%
No. Yucks. I would rather work on my car/bike. 5 10.20%
Well, never done it. But would like to try it one day. 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 14:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
These guys are strapped on to their chairs holding the fishing rod
True, but can they match the power of a 500kg beast trying to pull in the opposite direction, is what I wonder ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
I do this every time I am in mallu land,
Ha, so another of the 4 guys I expected to be interested in this sport has finally made it to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Last year we managed to get a ride into the sea with a fishing boat. I puked all thru and it was just a 4 hr ride into the sea.
Exactly what prevents me from taking a trip to the sea inspite of many relatives owning fishing boats. I am somehow very sure that I will puke even though I have never been to sea.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st August 2008 at 14:40.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

With a 500BHP motor pulling the other way, yes.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just what i was looking for, I was gifted a griggs fishing rod some time back and was considering to put it to use soon.
Will post some pictures of my catch, if I am lucky enough. Unemployment and lack of vices in town can churn useful things at times.
Would be happy to hear from other anglers on useful tips,
Old 10th August 2009, 20:09   #19
BHPian

Not sure if you have logged in here, S_B India Fishing Forum: Mahseer: Carp: Rod: Reel

Though I have never done this before, I have driven someone to places where you can fish. One good place to go is the wharf in Royapuram
Old 11th August 2009, 13:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well, I broke my Shimano fishing rod.

Am looking for a replacement part, which will come when someone from my company goes on work to the US. Travel restrictions imposed due to recession are not helping the cause of my fishing.

Till then it is back to angling with plain old bamboo rods + nylon string + local hooks. :-)
Old 11th August 2009, 13:30   #21
BHPian

SuperemeBaleno,
Thanks for starting this thread.Hope many others join in this wonderful sport.
What replacement part are you looking for? PM me with details, I will check if i can find it here in Qatar.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried cashew bits for bait, it works fine sometime, easy to hook and a good lure.

Last edited by beejay : 11th August 2009 at 15:28.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:04   #23
BHPian

just curious. Do all anglers catch and release or does the catch end up at the dining table ?
Old 11th August 2009, 18:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Till then it is back to angling with plain old bamboo rods + nylon string + local hooks. :-)
hey thats what i used to fish with at a stream near my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Has anyone tried cashew bits for bait, it works fine sometime, easy to hook and a good lure.
Thats a new one, I used to use the traditional atta (wheat flour) balls . Worked well. Tried earthworms a couple of times but i found them too icky to handle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
just curious. Do all anglers catch and release or does the catch end up at the dining table ?
The biggest fish I ever caught was a couple of inches long so ... no dinner

Though there was one time when I was very excited as there was a good pull on the string. Got hyper and pulled it hard, what I saw sent shivers down my spine. I had caught a small water snake about 18 inches long and as it came flying with the hook. I just dropped the rod and ran for my life.
Within that fraction of a second everyone who was fishing there just disappeared. Thankfully the force with which I pulled the string up was so hard that the snake got loose from the hook and crawled off.

I swear i never ran as fast as I did that day, neither did everyone around me.
All of us would have broken the 100 meters record by a decent margin

That was the last day I ever went fishing.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Depends on the nature of the catch. Edible, easy to clean, large ones end up on the plate. Small ones go free. Sorry lookers also stand a chance to go free.

@ sammyboy, I can picture the incident that you have narrated and I cant stop laughing.

Last edited by beejay : 11th August 2009 at 18:42. Reason: @ sammyboy
Old 11th August 2009, 22:29   #26
BHPian

Well, nice to come by this thread!

I used to spend quite some time fishing while in the college days, both angle and net, miss those days badly.
Upon shifting to Bangalore for work, miss the sport even more. Got myself a fishing rod some 4 years back from Korea but haven't had the opportunity to use it at all, call it misuse, the rod is a permanent occupant of my badminton kit to fish out shuttle cocks that get lodged in unforeseen places and pretty favored by the fellow players :(

Recently on a trip to Alleppey, got an opportunity to do some angling finally after long years, that was sure a relaxing and interesting hour I spent in the evening, not to discount the feel of the backwaters of course; caught 11 fishes, they are sure hungry, atta balls with an oversized hook, a useful lesson when you land up with oversized hooks and no options and the fishes seem to eat the ball of atta and vanish, keep the atta ball small and only covering the back tooth on the hook, took me some valuable time to improvise, then they started falling in line pretty fast.

back in arunachal pradesh, i have seen the locals using hooks the size of an index finger bent and running up and down the streams, no bait, pure luck and luck is aplenty there, sometimes there is a chunk of a big fish on the hook and sometime the entire fish, a big one at that 1-2 kg; wastage of course, but that is how it is done, amazing!

if any one is interested in buying angling equipment in bangalore or online in india, do contact me, have located two sellers in bangalore, rod, bait, line, the whole set.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain
if any one is interested in buying angling equipment in bangalore or online in india, do contact me, have located two sellers in bangalore, rod, bait, line, the whole set.
Do they stock/sell Shimano spares too ? I needed a 6' Shimano rod.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:20   #28
BHPian

What a thread Gone are the days when i was an avid angler. Now only possible when i am back in India on vacations.

Bamboo rod, fishing twine , hook, live earthworms(procured personally), barley water and the local music channel make for great way to spend a quiet day....
Old 14th August 2009, 23:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Do they stock/sell Shimano spares too ? I needed a 6' Shimano rod.
I do not think specific high end brands might be available off the self, to locate a dealer of fishing rods itself took me so much time, apparently the sport is not popular in Bangalore area, but I do wonder what with all the lakes strewn across the city, there must be someone who should feel like relaxing with a fishing line.. there is a lake in front of my office and today lunch time we were all excited to find a good 10-11 inch rohu fish in the driveway, must have been dropped by the eagles that frequent the water for food.
I will send you the number of the dealer and one more place I need to go and see for myself what they offer, maybe you can ask them to get you the stuff you are looking for.
Old 1st October 2009, 22:18   #30

I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. I do a lot of fishing and my 4wd choices are geared towards getting me into a better fishing spot

I normally use shimano equipment and the bait depends on the species being targeted.

Here are some pictures from my earlier trips,
Attached Thumbnails
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-murral-1-small.jpg  

The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-cats.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks