Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 01:30   #1
BHPian

Seminar Topic Support (a little Help please)

Hi Bhpians
i am supposed to do a seminar this coming tuesday morning, but i havnt come up with a topic. Time is running out on me and i need some help selecting a topic which is related to cars and there working etc (easier topic for me to understand)!

I am better off on understanding things about cars so i need an interesting topic!

The topic must have have an article on it! I am allowed to use the topic only if that topic has an article!

I selected "LPG FUMIGATION ON DIESEL ENGINES" but i cant seem to find an article on it. I tried to do "Electronic Braking System" but failed to find an article!

bad luck has been following me for the past 2 weeks, even if i get a topic today, i am not sure if i would be able to complete all the work needed for the seminar like the powerpoint presentation! which i have no clue how to use!

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2008 at 02:36. Reason: Please dont type in all bold text.
Old 27th July 2008, 01:34   #2
BHPian

aerodynamics.
formula one
formula student :P
four wheel drive.
Old 27th July 2008, 01:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
aerodynamics.
formula one
formula student :P
four wheel drive.
can you get some links on that?
the article source or something
Old 27th July 2008, 10:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

LPG FUMIGATION ON DIESEL ENGINES: Check out these links:

LPG (Propane) Fumigation for Diesel Engines

Diesel Engine Fumigation
Old 27th July 2008, 10:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

How about Basic driving manners ? We have a few threads about this too !
Old 27th July 2008, 10:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

lpg injection diesel - Google Search

propane injection diesel - Google Search

Happy googling
Old 27th July 2008, 11:26   #7
BHPian

thank you!!!
propane oh ****! why didnt i think of that..
yup got better results! i will be posting my abstract on the seminar here. grade me haha

Would anyone be kind enough to write me an abstract on this lpg fumigation/propane fumigation matter please! IL CHECK back in a few hours
Old 27th July 2008, 21:53   #8
BHPian

here it goes

ABSRACT

Revving up with LPG-Diesel
Breathtaking Breakthrough in Diesel Engine Fumigation

Proposal for in-depth study on emerging technological innovations in LPG Fumigation for Diesel Engines in the context of widening quest for Alternative, Eco-friendly, Fuel-efficient Hybrid models

INTRODUCTION
Defining basic premises: Breakthrough in Fumigation technology. Definitive advantages

SCOPE OF STUDY
Drive for more Power, Torque. Economic and Ecological compulsions

Pioneering Auto majors in LPG Fumigation

Reaching out: technology transfer: How accessible is it for Indian automobile industry

Alternative outlook: Comparative study on fuel crunch: Petrol-Diesel and Hybrid alternatives: Economic variables vis-à-vis market viability

Safety parameters

Realistic take from Indian automobile makers: Major brands looking for innovative inputs. Rundown on various successful models incorporating fumigation systems

Futuristic assessment: Market trends, projections. Timeline for logistic yields

CONCLUSION

-----------------------------------------------------

Introduction
Inject a small quantity of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) into the inlet manifold of a diesel engine, and it’s sheer magic: The combination of the diesel-LPG fuel brings forth greater power output, lower emissions and more economy.
Generally, diesel engines produce high levels of nitrogen oxide emissions and significant smoke and particulate material levels. Introducing LPG gas into the combustion air intake of a diesel engine acts as an accelerant, promoting the even burning of the diesel fuel, and more complete combustion, resulting in more power – a 25 per cent increase in power across the whole rev range. Exhaust emissions are reduced, with lower quantities of unburned hydrocarbons and fewer particulates. LPG fumigation will even clean up the odour of diesel fuel in the exhaust, making the smell from the tailpipe of an engine much less objectionable.
LPG is used as an ancillary fuel. The original diesel fuelling system – whether that’s a mechanical distributor pump, common rail direct injection or electronic unit injection – stays completely intact and unmodified. The vehicle runs on diesel as it did before.
However, the magic comes in the addition of LPG to the diesel fuelling mix. The LPG is added in vapour form prior to the turbo (in turbo engines) or prior to the inlet manifold (in naturally aspirated engines). The LPG, comprising about 25 per cent of the diesel flow, burns along with the diesel in the cylinders. The reduced running costs come from an improvement that is realised in diesel fuel economy – and the fact that LPG is a cheaper fuel than diesel.
The electronically controlled and custom mappable professional LPG injection system comes with a tank so small that in some applications it can be placed under the vehicle!

What is Fumigation?
A fumigation system injects a gaseous or liquid fuel into the intake air stream of a compression ignited engine. This fuel burns and becomes a part-contributor to the power producing fuel. The fumigation process is divided into major fraction and minor fraction fumigation. When more than 50 per cent gaseous injection is used, it is known as major fraction fumigation. Minor fraction fumigation is under 50 per cent gaseous injection.

How it works

LPG by itself will not self-ignite inside a diesel-fuel compression-ignition engine. During the compression stroke, the air/LPG mixture is compressed and the temperature is raised to about 400°C, not enough to ignite the LPG, which has an ignition temperature of about 500°C. When the diesel fuel is atomized into the cylinder under high pressure, it immediately self-ignites (diesel ignites at about 385°C), and causes the LPG to burn as well. Since the LPG is in mixture with the air, the flame front from the diesel spreads more quickly, and more completely, including igniting the air/fuel mixture which is in contact with the cylinder walls, which are cool in comparison to the super-heated air inside the combustion chamber. Much of the cleaner burning of the fuel is attributed to this ignition against the "cooler" components of the engine, and accounts for raising the percentage of combustion from a typical 75 per cent for a well-tuned diesel engine running on pure diesel fuel alone, to 85-90 per cent with the addition of LPG. Obviously, this more complete combustion also gives a nice boost in power, with an accompanying increase in fuel economy and reduction of pollutants.

Varying results

We have to draw a distinction between engine types. Normally-aspirated engines require different systems to introduce the gas than do turbocharged engines. The results are different as well.

Normally-aspirated engines will realise only a modest gain in power by the use of LPG gas. Displacing one per cent of the intake air with LPG will result in a small power increase, perhaps 5-8 per cent. Turbocharged diesel engines are able to realise a significant increase in power by using LPG fumigation. While the usual suggested increase is considered to be approximately 20 per cent, by careful management of the gas introduction, power gains of up to 40 per cent are possible. Turbo engines are by design blessed with a lean air-to-fuel ratio, and can be fed concentrations of LPG up to about 6-8 per cent of the intake air volume. TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) engines have shown dramatic power increases when properly fumigated with LPG, combined with an "Upsolute" chip, or computer engine management upgrade.

So what makes up the gas system?
The main hardware comprises the injector, converter and filter. The tank is mounted either in or under the vehicle.
A gas line runs forward to the converter that is placed under the bonnet. The converter is heated by the engine’s coolant system.
Following that is the filter (on which two pressure sensors are fitted) and gas then flows to the single injector. The injector feeds a hose that conveys the vapour a short distance to the intake.
The ECU has inputs from a manifold pressure sensor (on turbo engines) or throttle position sensor (naturally aspirated engines), engine coolant temp sensor, tacho and LPG fuel pressure sensor. The last sensor is used primarily as a safeguard, cutting off LPG flow if an open fuel supply hose is detected.
The LPG injector is pulsed at a constant 53Hz but is varied in duty cycle. A fairly simple map is used on most vehicles, adding a constant 20 - 25 per cent LPG across the engine load and rev range. (The optimal amount of LPG depends on the individual engine and the power/economy requirements.)
The ECU software allows correction for engine temp and a few other variables. It’s by no means a high order programmable ECU but appears to have sufficient control functions to be able to do the job.
Safety of the installed system is good, with normal automotive LPG legal standards being met.
The underbonnet components are very compact – there would be few vehicles where the converter and the filter could not be installed. The ECU goes in the cabin and a combined LED bargraph fuel gauge / switch is on the dash.
One of the oddities of the system is that it doesn’t matter if you run out of LPG – the car doesn’t need the LPG to run and so it just reverts to normal diesel operation. It’s possible for the driver to switch the system on or off as wished - normally, the system is left always activated.

So what do you guys think!

1.PERFECT

2.Super perfect

Note from Support Staff: Text format tags removed. Please do not copy-paste from a word processor. Use Notepad instead - or use the BOLD, UNDERLINE and ITALIC tags provided here. You have been notified before. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd August 2008 at 23:29. Reason: See note.
Old 27th July 2008, 22:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

to further expand the scope of your seminar, to more stuff you can inject into a diesel engine
Water injection (engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
methanol also works quite fine it seems

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd August 2008 at 23:30. Reason: Tags have been removed from referenced post.
Old 27th July 2008, 22:20   #10
BHPian

Good job TGS.

Glad we were of some help
Old 27th July 2008, 22:35   #11
BHPian

thanks a million guys and motorhead gets a special thanks!
yup i did it on M.word so front tags came up and water injection wow there horsee!

Last edited by Team_Godspeed : 27th July 2008 at 22:38.
Old 27th July 2008, 22:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

heh, glad to know. now get some pics , a snazzy ppt , and get ready to blow them away
Old 27th July 2008, 23:21   #13
BHPian

All the best for the seminar TGS.

Don't forget to post the pics of your trophy here
Old 28th July 2008, 00:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Don't forget to post the pics of your trophy here
Dont think its a competition. Must be a part of B.Tech syllabus. Anyways, all the best Team_Godspeed
Old 28th July 2008, 13:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you do a seminar on tires. Search a bit and you will get great info on them. Lots of stuff to talk about here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks