Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 10:05   #1
BHPian

Travel websites

How many of you use WWW to find good deals for Hotels, airline tickets etc?
Or do you still go to your friendly old travel agent?

I usually use Expedia in US and MakeMyTrip in India.
Recently I have found Sidestep.com to be better than Expedia especially for airfares.

Any other suggestions/ experiences/ comments?
Old 27th July 2008, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Similiar thread exists here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ravelguru.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ne-ticket.html

Check if you get some useful info here

Nirmal
Old 27th July 2008, 12:43   #3
BANNED

Tripadvisor is a fabulous site for general travel info reg driving rules, telephony, local sites, restaurants, hotels B&Bs etc. They have good forums too.
Old 27th July 2008, 13:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

For general travel advice and information in forum style I'd have to recommend India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com, having hung around that site more than any other for the past four years.

Whilst it started out as a foreign travellers' site, the percentage of Indian (both resident and non-resident) is now quite high and growing.

I'd go so far as to say that the atmosphere there is similar to Team-BHP, and certainly there are a few who belong to both sites.

If you do work out my IndiaMike ID (A few BHPers have; it is not that hadr, but I'm not telling) then please note that it is not, as many people think, 'my' site. It is owned by an Indian guy in America who took it over from the eponymous Mike when Mike got fed up with it.

It's not my interest (too lazy) but for those who are so inclined, there is a strong trekking section.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Check out Tailor My Holiday
Old 16th September 2012, 07:26   #6
AJo
BHPian

Re: Travel websites

Listing out my experience with Expedia (India):

I usually use Makemytrip (MMT) & have had a good experience with them. I needed a multi-city air ticket from Mumbai-Chicago-Vancouver-Newark-Pune & found that multi-city option in MMT crashed, every time I entered my itinerary.

So decided to try Expedia. Booked the tickets (seemed like a great deal at the time), got a call from my credit card (CC) bank about authorizing the payment (amount was 2.33 lacs), approved it & relaxed. 30 mins. later I get a call from Expedia - "Sir, your credit card has declined the transaction!". I am shocked! Call up the CC bank & they say "We have processed the transaction & the amount is blocked for Expedia". The CC bank says apparently Expedia tried to transact more than the allowed "times" & hence they blocked the other transactions. Expedia denies this!! Don't know whom to believe?!!

Net result - Expedia says they will not process the booking since they have not got paid, while CC Bank says "we have authorized the transaction & the amount is blocked for Expedia". (So I cant use the 2.33 lacs either). Bank says the amount will revert back to my a/c if Expedia does not claim it (after 21 days!!).

I request Expedia to hold my booking & try again after 24hrs (as advised by bank) but they refuse & ask me to cancel the booking & assure me I will not be charged at all & will be refunded any charges if charged to my credit card. I do so (since no choice) but am extremely nervous about getting charged 2.33 Lacs & anticipate a tough time for a refund.

I was told it would take 72 hrs for the refunds to reflect in my a/c. Unfortunately, this did not happen & was very nervous. Called up Expedia on 4th day & they sent a "Release form" to my CC Bank. A day later - entire amount is back to my CC a.c!!!

Kudos to Expedia for making a FULL refund. The air booking not happening was a bit of a downer, but I must say they were very professional & ethical in their response regards the charges.

Incidentally I did the exact same booking with ClearTrip & got the same flights even cheaper! Booking tickets on Clear Trip was a very smooth experience.

Hope my experience helps somebody.
Rgds.
AJO
Old 16th September 2012, 14:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

If you do work out my IndiaMike ID (A few BHPers have; it is not that hadr, but I'm not telling) then please note that it is not, as many people think, 'my' site. It is owned by an Indian guy in America who took it over from the eponymous Mike when Mike got fed up with it.

It's not my interest (too lazy) but for those who are so inclined, there is a strong trekking section.
Haha! thad, in the initial years of joining India Mike, i was very curious, and it took me a lot of digging around to be sure that you are not the owner. You are pratically popping up every thread there and are super funny!
Old 16th September 2012, 15:27   #8
Mik
BHPian

A few travel sites worth going to

www.90di.com -- They use NLP so things like "mumbai to delhi tomorrow" work
They can give flights, flights+trains, trains as options. Note that its only search, booking happens at the parent site.

There is ixigo.com which is a air-fare aggregator from multiple airlines+travel sites. Very useful. It has the cute features like air fare calendars and graphs. Giving return fares in a single page is a big advantage too.
Do note that if some special deal is going on, ixigo might not pick it up.

goibibo almost always has a price advantage over most other sites. They have offers running throughout the year and one or the other coupon is bound to work. But, their post-sales experience can be terrible as i have learnt first hand.
For sheer booking ease, cleartrip has no equal. Though i have found their prices slightly on the higher side.
And then, you can never go wrong with makemytrip - the biggest boy in town with cars, buses, trains, rail packages, holidays, hotels, flights + hotels among a host of other features. Post sales rocks too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks