Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 14:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Bro,

when I was in kol, as long as we lived near Kalamandir.. (AJC Bose Rd and Shakespeare sarani crossing) It was ok for me to take my car to work. But once we moved to New Alipore, I would take my bike to work (Wipro) rather than taking my car. On an average I would save atleast 20-25 mins. But yeah, during the summer months, it does become quite challenging.
I cannot but agree with you anymore...by the way my house is near Roy Bahadur Road - in between 14 No. Bus Stand & New Alipore petrol pump.
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

I agree dude... in the last 2 years, seems like the cars on the road have doubled.

I am just DREADING the launch of the Nano... because road congestion will simply sky rocket after that...
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more images of Kolkata traffic here (good and not so good )

Rise in traffic congestion in Kolkata..in recent times-blind-tata-truck.jpg

Rise in traffic congestion in Kolkata..in recent times-sonycamv-1551.jpg

Rise in traffic congestion in Kolkata..in recent times-sonycamv-1496.jpg

Rise in traffic congestion in Kolkata..in recent times-sonycamv-1574.jpg

Rise in traffic congestion in Kolkata..in recent times-sonycamv-1534.jpg
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:05   #19
BHPian

^^ The pics depicting Silver Springs/Dhapa Crossing & Exide More actually hits the nail in the right place...two of the deadiest points of traffic jam where incorrect policing & improper signalling leads to a chaotic situation on a daily basis.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:51   #20
BHPian

Re: Rise in traffic congestion in Kolkata..in recent times

Anyone game in reviving this thread?
The flyovers that were being constructed during 2008 are not finally completed (I thanks my stars there).

But the situation is still the same. From PTS to Sector 5, it takes around 1 hour 15 minutes (peak time) and around an hour (off peak)! Should be around 12-13km of commute.

Traffic congestion along this stretch is mostly created by KMC garbage trucks and random trucks carrying water canisters!
Old 24th November 2012, 02:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Anyone game in reviving this thread?
The flyovers that were being constructed during 2008 are not finally completed (I thanks my stars there).

But the situation is still the same. From PTS to Sector 5, it takes around 1 hour 15 minutes (peak time) and around an hour (off peak)! Should be around 12-13km of commute.

Traffic congestion along this stretch is mostly created by KMC garbage trucks and random trucks carrying water canisters!
Since I'm out of Kolkata for quite sometime now I think it would be interesting to know the ground situation now.
  • What is the status of EM Bypass these days? Has it been repaired or is it still a drivers nightmare.
  • The major flyover construction work near Science City was a cause traffic congestion.
  • Mismanagement of traffic in Sector V during office hours was another pain area.
Old 24th November 2012, 11:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Since I'm out of Kolkata for quite sometime now I think it would be interesting to know the ground situation now.
  • What is the status of EM Bypass these days? Has it been repaired or is it still a drivers nightmare.
  • The major flyover construction work near Science City was a cause traffic congestion.
  • Mismanagement of traffic in Sector V during office hours was another pain area.
The state of EM Byepass is still sad.Though a layer of pitch has been laid down.
Lets see how long does the pitch stand.
The construction of the flyover still causes slow movement of traffic post Science City towards parkcircus.
Expect to take 45mins to cover Science City to Park Circus,it has pure bumper to bumper traffic with the jams extending all the way till ITC.

They way back from PC to Science City is absolutely fine and fast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks