Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What is/are the reason(s) for India's poor performance in Olympics?
Lack of Talent? 12 20.00%
Lack of Will/Application? 23 38.33%
Lack of Facilities? 45 75.00%
Lack of Funds? 43 71.67%
Lack of Encouragement? 42 70.00%
Lack of Interest/Different priorities? 29 48.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2008, 12:09   #31
BHPian

i dunno man..it is just sad..that a nation of 1 billion people..cannot find even a decent group of people to win medals. the comentators (im back home in the states for vacay) were mentioning in the time that the PRC has started competing in the olympics..they have won 200 medals..compared to India's 3...are you kidding me...that has to be a real shock and embarrasment for indians anywhere. I know we can excel in sports..it needs to be promoted from childhood, like it is in other countries. I honestly think, like it has been mentioned earlier, the dirty dirty, utterly disgusting habits of corruption and profiteering, that has ruined sport. India should be united, yes we have diversity, but it is often that diversity that causes so much infighting and bickering. When you have, it seems at times, entire halves of the country hating each other (come on you all know this is true) then what do you think is going to happen. Just look at China man..look at their development..look how far they have come in such a short time since being a world paraiah..will India ever achieve that? as i watched the opening ceremony of the games, i was kinda disappointed in india..i was thinking.will we ever achieve what china has achieved? will india ever host an olympic game? prolly not in our lifetimes..:(. Why cant we get our act together? and im not just talking about sports.. in everything else too. Yes, i know China is a communist government..but maybe India needs a type of strict government to promote development as well..
Old 9th August 2008, 20:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Just look at China man..look at their development..look how far they have come in such a short time since being a world paraiah..will India ever achieve that?
look at the link i posted below, i heard it on the radio, they were saying the players were forced by military to practice and compete despite having serious problems like diabetes. now they are left to rot.

I personally won't place china on my list to admire for sports.
Old 9th August 2008, 21:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
look at the link i posted below, i heard it on the radio, they were saying the players were forced by military to practice and compete despite having serious problems like diabetes. now they are left to rot.

I personally won't place china on my list to admire for sports.
yeah i did see that..but india is almost as bad...i read sometime back that some sportspeople were forced to sell their medals for food and to support their families.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:10   #34
BHPian

India Wins FIRST GOLD @ BEIJING OLYMPICS

Guys,Abhinav Bindra has won Gold in 10 m Air Rifle event....Finaly India's wait for a Gold in the Olympics has come to an end......
PS:Just saw the presentation ceremony live on DD Sports.It was really an emotional moment hearing our Anthem being played in the Olympics arena.First EVER Gold in an individual event.Hope many more follows.
Also was soooo surprised to see Abhinav Bindra stay extremely calm and composed.No drama of the kind witnessed when Leander won Bronze.Is this the sign of new age India????

Last edited by jraj : 11th August 2008 at 10:22. Reason: Updating post with more info
Old 11th August 2008, 10:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

This is indeed great news, considering that this is India's FIRST gold medal in ANY individual event ever.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thats surely a great news. Wish this is only the beginning. Let our sports guy bring a lot of them. Good luck.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

India Wins FIRST GOLD @ BEIJING OLYMPICS

Guys ! Its a proud moment and Abhinav Bindra won his first gold for India in the "10M Air Rifle" category @ the Olympics
Looks like this is also the first GOLD in an Individual event for India!!

Overall Medal Standings - The official website of the BEIJING 2008 Olympic Games

The link above provides the medal tally and its a proud moment and congrats to Abhinav on making India Proud.

MODS: If any related thread exists please merge the same.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 11th August 2008 at 10:15.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

hey,
are you sure? can't believe,
good news.
hoping at least 3 gold medals in this olympic.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:18   #39
BHPian

Time for celebrations:Bindra wins gold for India at Beijing Olympics

Just now i happened to watch a rare event on DD sports,Abhinav Bindra winning a gold medal for India after a long gap of 28 years.

he won it in 10m air rifle in a intense competition involving some really good players.

He was at 2nd position till the last 2-3 rounds and was tied with a Hungarian shooter after penultimate round but he kept his cool and scored 10.8 to win it comfortably in the end.

BTW this is the 1st gold medal for India in an individual event for india in its olympic history.

Edit- Oops...when i logged on to t-bhp there was no thread about this and when made the thread i saw another two.lol
Mods...please merge these threads.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 11th August 2008 at 10:21.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is the first ever individual gold medal for India in Olympics. Congrats to Abhinav Bindra on the wonderful effort!

This effort eclipses Rajvardhan Singh Rathore's silver medal last Olympics.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:30   #41
BHPian

Amazing effort! Bravo - hope this is the first of the many to come in the next 20 yrs !
Old 11th August 2008, 10:31   #42
BANNED

Congrats guys. Now, the same "establishment" which was proclaiming that they are doing a concession by "taking you to the games" will be running after you with goodies and offers.

But all we know that your success is in spite of the support you get from the babudom.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:34   #43
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Thread merged.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th August 2008 at 10:36.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:47   #44
BHPian

Very proud moment for the country and surely Abhinav Bindra has made each one of feel happy about this moment. I hope Abhinav inspires many more Indians to take up individual sports rather than going after Cricket. I also wish that this event would mark the beginning of the end to the hype Cricket gets and most over rated cricketers.

Congratulations Abhinav Bindra. Have fun.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:06   #45
BANNED

Abhinav Bindra wins 10m air rifle gold

World champion Abhinav Bindra clinched India's first ever individual gold medal at the Olympics, winning 10m air rifle event at the Beijing Games here on Monday.

Bindra's historic feat makes him India's first-ever individual gold medallist, bettering the silver medal feat of double trap shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore in Athens 2004.

Most Viewed