Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is/are the reason(s) for India's poor performance in Olympics?
Lack of Talent? 12 20.00%
Lack of Will/Application? 23 38.33%
Lack of Facilities? 45 75.00%
Lack of Funds? 43 71.67%
Lack of Encouragement? 42 70.00%
Lack of Interest/Different priorities? 29 48.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 11:19   #1
BANNED

India in Olympics !!

India is rated as The World's Worst Olympians

Quote:
India - Medal count: 17

Score card: Think of India as the Washington Nationals of Olympic sport. India is by far the worst-performing Olympic country—no matter how you slice it. It’s not for lack of trying. A games participant since 1900, India still ranks behind Nigeria, a country with an economy one twentieth India’s size, in total medals. The country’s athletic ineptitude is so profound that a parliamentarian called for two minutes of silence to “lament the demise of Indian sports” after the squad failed to win any medals in Barcelona in 1992.

What’s wrong? Few sports venues (roughly 33 stadiums and sports complexes for 1.1 billion people), a lack of school sports programs, stingy government funding, and a narrow talent base. The result? A country whose most celebrated claim to Olympic greatness is “The Flying Sikh,” a track-and-field star who broke hearts by placing fourth at the 1960 Rome Games. It’s not that Indians can’t excel at athletics. Since 1933, the state of Punjab has hosted its own “rural Olympics,” where competitors vie for glory in tug of war, mule-cart racing, sack lifting, tent pegging, and various feats of strength.
What is/are the reason for poor performance in the games played at Olympics?
  • Lack of Talent - Indians don't have the skills for those games
  • Lack of Will/Application - Indians don't apply themselves enough to win
  • Lack of Facilities - Indians don't have the required facilities to practise
  • Lack of Funds - Indians don't have the money either to setup facilities or to nurture talent
  • Lack of Encouragement - Indians don't value Olympic medals
  • Lack of Interest/Different priorities - Indians have other priorities than the games played at Olympics
Old 31st July 2008, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

33 stadiums..I think this info is incorrect. There are is two good and big sports complex in FBD alone.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Simple, sports is not a priority in India. Almost no parent would encourage their kids towards a sports career. And there are no facilities, how many city schools have a ground or even a gym?

Compare this with USA, the only other country I know closely. Many parents don't have a clue how their kids are doing in class, but they would know the score of every baseball/soccer/football/basketball/ice-hockey game played by their kids. In fact they fight with coaches, referees and other parents over every small thing at every game. It is this kind of passion that wins medals.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Good topic. The issue is quite complex as there is a mix of lot of factors including, but not limited to..

1. Cultural/historical issues (very bookish/knowledge based pedigree, no known expertise in any form of outdoor sports)
2. Poor attitude towards sports in general (good for nothing people choose it)
3. A perceived lack of "RoI" factor (except cricket, for which they move even central ministers)
4. More importance being given to "intellectual" or "indoor", "non-physical" games (chess,billiards/snooker, carrom etc)
5. Comparatively poor physical ability (may be due to food habits, genetic etc)

and then add all the factors mentioned above by diabloo. Also I feel that we might do extremely well if there is an olympics equivalent to an "indoor/intellectual/non-physical games".

Unfortunately none of the events in Olympics is in "our taste".
Old 31st July 2008, 12:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Since my early teens to graduation, my parents and extended family did their best to discourage my interest in martial arts. I could join my first Karate class only when I could finance it with my salary. That is the attitude towards sports in India.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:16   #6
BHPian

Its surely lack of encouragement in the first place and then lack of facilities. I will not say lack of funds but funds not being used wisely for different sports that India is capable of.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Simple, sports is not a priority in India. Almost no parent would encourage their kids towards a sports career. And there are no facilities, how many city schools have a ground or even a gym?
Every available space is taken up for construction of more classrooms.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Compare this with USA, the only other country I know closely. Many parents don't have a clue how their kids are doing in class, but they would know the score of every baseball/soccer/football/basketball/ice-hockey game played by their kids. In fact they fight with coaches, referees and other parents over every small thing at every game. It is this kind of passion that wins medals.
You are absolutly right!

In India, the parents want their kid to be either Doctor/Engineer/MBA etc.
Even if the kid has a real talent in some sports, parents discourage them to a hilt!

In US, Europe, parents are least bothered about the academics of their kids, and encourage them fully to play sports of their liking!
Old 31st July 2008, 13:01   #9
BHPian

I would say lack of funds because when i was selected to represent my country in world cross country championship ( 6kms road race ) in Amsterdam - Karnataka atheltic association never helped me in anyway,
it was all my parents who made my dream come true ..
Old 31st July 2008, 18:22   #10
BANNED

Many parents here fight with teachers, so that their kids get 24.5 instead of 24 (Max 25 marks), so that their kid gets 1st rank in the class.
Quote:
Many parents don't have a clue how their kids are doing in class, but they would know the score of every baseball/soccer/football/basketball/ice-hockey game played by their kids. In fact they fight with coaches, referees and other parents over every small thing at every game. It is this kind of passion that wins medals.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:46   #11
SuperSyn

Indians are genetically weaker and thus not going to win medals in most of the physical olympics event. This does not mean we should not try because having our own sports idols is always an encouragement to youth who want to lead a fit and healthy life.

We can however win more medals in disciplines that do not require out and out physcial performance, for example shooting. However, even here discipline in training seems to be lacking and the government puts all sorts of hurdles in acquiring guns + ammunition.

Old 31st July 2008, 18:58   #12
BANNED

Different Priorities.

Look at the other side of things - however high the interest in sports, it is finally academics that gets you a good life here. Or an entrepreneurial streak. Or family wealth. Take your pick.

Take fitness centres / gyms - they all look for certifications more than experience to take you on as a trainer. One trainer at a reputed gym in South Madras was thrown out of his job because he didn't know English and therefore couldn't obtain a certification. Its a different matter that the guy was a pro and was the personal trainer (at the same gym) of a popular cine actor whose real name initials are JK.
Old 31st July 2008, 19:47   #13
BHPian

Indians are not physically strong

Although dirty politics, regionalism, lack of funds, discourage from family etc. contribute to the problem, the bottom line is that Indians, in general, are not very strong physically!

An average American/European are much stronger than average Indians. This is fact.

India has comparatively better position in cricket because only few countries play cricket. If cricket was popular like football, Indian's position would have not been any better in global ranking (compared to our football ranking).

However, we are in generally better in academics compared to our western counterparts. There was a scientific study conducted on why so many Indians are in IT and it was stated that Indians are very much argumentative by nature which is beneficial for IT. (although India got jobs initially mainly for cost factor, it is no longer the only reason)

Throughout the history, we never invaded another country. It simply shows we don't really have the agressive attitude (it's a requirement for many sports). If we were strong, how come a few thousands British could rule millions of us for 200 years??

Every race has its own expertise. Unfortunately, sports have never been Indian's forte.
Old 31st July 2008, 20:53   #14
BANNED

Answers

Reason 1. There are more "officials" in the Indian contigent than players. And when players require some assistance from the team management (like filing an appeal), there won't be even a single one around to help.

Reason 2. Politics in our national and State and District bodies. What is Shrimaan Laloo Prasad Yadav doing in the Bhar Cricket Board? Or a retired IPS Officer (was) doing in the Hockey governing body? How many ex-olympians do we have in various sports bodies?

Reason 3. Corruption. An ex-olympian cousin said this of his own experience. "You got a job and the 'ex-olympian' tag because I selected you to the team. You will get more money from your job; so please pay the entire prize money given to you by the govt for that medal to me. Else you never will see the team again".

He is no longer in the team.
Old 31st July 2008, 21:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

While we are at it, this is what china does to it's olympians.

prepare machines for winning medals and then.......

Many Chinese Athletes Find No Glory In Retirement : NPR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks