Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 10:52   #31
BANNED

Govt says no to pump owners

Pumping problem: Kerala operators want Sundays off

CNN-IBN is reporting that the govt. is taking a tough stance on this issue.

For the record, petrol pumps are exempt from certain provisions of the Shop and Commercial Establishments Act, which insists on a weekly off for the establishment. This exemption is not granted unless the establishments themselves ask for it.

BTW, if they really want it, why cant the pump owner's rotate a weekly off? Like Pump X having off on Monday, pump Y having off on Tuesday, and pump Z having off on Wednesday, etc?
Old 21st August 2008, 07:30   #32
BANNED

Now, the No fuel decision is shelved according to the latest info. Maybe, it's time to lock this thread also.

And, guys please don't enter into a Kerala bashing here. Don't forget Kerala's literacy rate, Human Development Index and the fact that 7 out of 10 richest districts in India belongs to Kerala !
Old 21st August 2008, 10:08   #33
BANNED

Yes! Luckily they've shelved the shutting off plans for now. But God forbid before they decide to trigger it off soon.

@Mithun. There's nobody to blame for these Kerala bashing. It's due to our own state and government that we have to go thru all this.
The 7 districts you speak about is all thanks to foreign money and nothing generated from our state itself.

As somebody told in the beginning, soon our Kerala will become a state of oldage home for all the retired NRIs.
Very sad to see this happening to Kerala.
Old 21st August 2008, 16:32   #34
BANNED

Quote:
And, guys please don't enter into a Kerala bashing here. Don't forget Kerala's literacy rate, Human Development Index and the fact that 7 out of 10 richest districts in India belongs to Kerala
Why not? Just consider these facts.

Out of the 38 students in my 10th, only I am left in Kerala now.

Out of 102 who were with me in PDC (that is what it was way back) hardly 10 are here.

Out of 98 with me in graduation (law), hardly 20 are in Kerala.

Out of 18 from post graduation 5.

(edit:- To be honest, I have left out non-working females from the count. I have no clue where they are.)

Out of more than 2 dozen comrades I came across in college days (is that not a HUGE number by any standards?) all - repeat - ALL are into either BUSINESS or outside India. Of those outside India, majority is in the US of A. United States. NOT the gelf. None in politics.

And you want to know what is wrong with Kerala?

A large number of "thozilalis" approach me for protection. They want protection from the unions. Not the "Muthalalis". That is what is wrong with Kerala.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 21st August 2008 at 16:35.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

source : Kerala govt warns petrol dealers of stern action-Thiru'puram-Cities-The Times of India

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The LDF government has warned petrol dealers in Kerala of tough action if they went ahead with their decision to down shutters during night and on Sundays.

District collectors had been instructed to take strong action, including "seizure of the stations", against the dealers if they closed down everyday after 2000 hours and remain shutting on Sundays as any such move would cause severe hardship to the common man.

According to the office of Civil Supplies Minister C Divakaran, a high-level meeting of district collectors, police officials and senior officers of the civil supplies department would be convened soon to discuss the issue.

All Kerala Federation of Petroleum dealers had last week announced to follow the above decision from August 18, saying it was unprofitable to keep the stations open round the clock. The Federation alleged retail fuel outlets were compelled to sell costly premium and branded fuel on meagre rates of commission.

The dealers' move had sparked widespread protests with political parties, youth outfits and trade unions coming out against it. Bus operators associations have also expressed strong resentment at the decision as most of the private buses run on fuel filled on daily collection.

The move also came under criticism from tour operators as most of the long-distance tours are conducted on weekends. Another sector to be hit by the decision would be emergency services like ambulances and short-distance modes of transport such as auto rickshaws and taxis, transport sector unions said.

Surprised that this one wasn't caught. This news has 5th Aug as the release date.

So seems like some good sense prevails.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 26th August 2008 at 14:09.
Old 26th August 2008, 16:55   #36
BHPian

Now they have created another mess in Tamilnadu also. due to lack of fuel they couldn't supply to the petrol station they want to shut down petrol pumps on Sundays.And the decision comes into effect on sep 15th.and in the week day the timing is 6am to 10pm only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks