Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 08:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

I say just get married ... Family and friends will come automatically.

Maybe you can plan a month long vacation to India every year during the bleak winter season.
Old 5th August 2008, 10:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The title of this thread should be referrred to Shri Yeti's Blog on how to post in proper English.
LOL Steroid, you should have been a bit more careful with the 8th word, especially when commenting on the topic of proper english. Afterall, its a forum........typos are bound to happen.

Shan2nu
Old 5th August 2008, 11:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its just personal preferences. Nothing else.

I wont come back to India if I were in any developed country. There is more in UK ( from my reading and friends who are lucky to go in developed countries ) than just the culture you have mentioned. They can be sometimes nusiance. But its much better place.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I wont come back to India if I were in any developed country. There is more in UK ( from my reading and friends who are lucky to go in developed countries ) than just the culture you have mentioned. They can be sometimes nusiance. But its much better place.
Easy to say sitting over here. It is a much more complex decision than that. I came back and settled in a small town in India after 9 years in USA.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Easy to say sitting over here. It is a much more complex decision than that. I came back and settled in a small town in India after 9 years in USA.
Hi

100% agree with you, i came to India after a long stay of 5 years in England. Trust me its is so good to be back.

Amit
Old 5th August 2008, 12:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai, amitpunjani:

I know its easier, but I think that life in developed coutries is good. Is again personal preference. I believe in discipline which is hard to find in India.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Do some traveling. One place you might fall in love with, Canada. Canada has cosmopolitan crime free clean cities, good government, not much racism, tremendous outdoor adventure potential.

They even have some esoteric Hindu sects there. There is small but beautiful tantric temple in Vancouver where people worship the hockey God, Gretzky, and his female consort, the love goddess Kapasi. Many miracles are said to have occured there. Many infirm people are reported to have walked away from the place cured. Once even a sick home showed up and was cured.

Seriously, you have tapped into some insights about the human condition that are universal. That being the case you may have to build your own golden country starting between your ears. But Canada is a pretty good place to build it.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Canada has one of the worst taxation, and really bad job situation for immigrants. Lots of immigrant doctors are working in the gas stations.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:41   #24
BHPian

I second it. Never been to Canada, but work with those folks every night (shift) and get all types of stories from them. No cribbing or bad mouthing at all though & genuinely good folks, but their economy is suffering now since their $$ has become more expensive than American $$ and all the work coming to them due to lower cost than US within NA is under threat. Not a place to immigrate until US crisis is over.

Quote:
Canada has one of the worst taxation, and really bad job situation for immigrants. Lots of immigrant doctors are working in the gas stations.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex gibbons View Post
Hi, to cut a long story short I am living in England and have been here for the past 8 years yet never could integrate. I am going this year to university to study Economics for three years. I just hate the whole British culture of partying/drinking and have therefore found it hard to fit in with people (including british indians). I would like to move back to India after my degree, but don't know what I will do. I have a family back there but they don't live in a big city. How would a foreign graduate go about getting a job in Delhi or Bombay? Is a first mandatory to get a good job in finance/retail/consultancy etc?
Hi Alex,

Eight years is a long time and am sure you have tried your level best in integrating with your surroundings.

Since you are studying economics in college, am sure your aware of the various off-university courses you can take within economics.

The Judge School of Management at Cambridge university has some stellar professors in micro-economics and offer course rebates in exchange programs over a term.

A change of place to Cambridge would probably allow you to see life, a little differently from your present set-up in the city of London.

Another option is to travel north-bound and Glasglow is an eternal haven for economics research scholars in modern day. Again a university exchange program for a term might allow you some diversity.

This 'rant' is probably what I got & finally gave to fellow Asians, during my time as Student Council Guide in London.

As put very aptly, there is a lot more to the British culture than the pubs & weekend haunts that you are exposed to these days.

I wish you luck with your university program and hope you succeed in catchin the bright side of the rising sun, eventually.

Life after university, is still 3 years away & will hold new promise.

Last edited by SRShrikanth : 5th August 2008 at 12:56.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Do some traveling....Many infirm people are reported to have walked away from the place cured. Once even a sick home showed up and was cured.

Seriously, you have tapped into some insights about the human condition that are universal. That being the case you may have to build your own golden country starting between your ears. But Canada is a pretty good place to build it.

DirtyDan, you truly have an amazing sense of humour ...I salute you .

Sometimes, you make it so difficult to know if what you have mentioned is to be taken seriously or if you are just pulling someone's leg !!!

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th August 2008 at 14:04.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is small but beautiful tantric temple in Vancouver where people worship the hockey God, Gretzky, and his female consort, the love goddess Kapasi.
HEY!! What the hell?? lol

Quote:
Once even a sick home showed up and was cured.
Oh Lord this man is good.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:55   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hey Alex
Dont let it get you down.
I suggest you try and develop / discover some new interests while you are there - there are many outlets for your energies plus a whole lot of options that you dont have here in India.
Maybe you should take up golf or off roading or something to keep you occupied and off the weekend binge drinking that seems to be so prevalent thereabouts!
cheers
Old 5th August 2008, 15:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Immigrant doctors are uneducated and unqualified compared to their western counterparts, at least on paper. Hence they are not allowed to practice medicine. The taxes are steep but so is the return from the government. If you have a profession it is a beautiful place to live and raise a family. I have lived close to the border many years and I have relatives in Vancouver and Hamilton. Having said that, I live in India!

Last edited by DirtyDan : 5th August 2008 at 15:07.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:20   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Having said that, I live in India!
I have always wondered how that came about, this may be the right thread to spill the beans if you don't mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks