Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 23:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

I believe it is a fault at OCBC's end. The way it would have happened is that after the ATM established a contact with the OCBC's server it recieved some instruction which the software on the 3rd party's ATM could not decipher. Hence the transaction was rolled back and your bro got the print out. As far as the US bank is concerned they have done their job.

The problem is that OCBC's server recieved a rollback message in a format which it did not understand and the default would be to accept that as a successful transaction (to be on the safe side).

I think OCBC should by now be aware that the transaction never went through because the US bank would not have charged the "amount dispensed" to OCBC which they would have otherwise done.
Old 8th August 2008, 04:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, the dispensing(ATM) bank is never responsible for the non-delivery of cash.

You always raise a complaint with your bank, they sort it out with the other bank and credits your account.

I have had this problem in India a couple of times, and each time HSBC credited my a/c within a couple of days. All it took was a phone call.

2 pointers -

a) WHen dealing with 3rd party banks, never select the 'without reciept' option.
b) Whenever you call customer care, note the name of the person, time of call, complaint number etc. You may need it later if you need to follow up.
Old 10th August 2008, 18:22   #18
BHPian

Happened here in Bangalore. Went to draw some cash at Jayanagar ABN AMRO ATM using my Citibank Debit card (a BIG MISTAKE). The first transaction went ok but the next one, the damn machine kept counting for about 10mins and said Declined which surprised me. Went to the next Deutsche Bank ATM. To my surprise my account still showed the amount was debited. Quickly ran to the nearest Citibank ATM and filed a complaint, and as usual our domestic call center employees arent concerned. So after making a few calls over the next 5days getting different answers each time, i had to finally google and find emails of a few people who were related to such incidents. I found a couple of email addresses for people working in the RBI and sent a HUGE email asking them if i have to file a complaint against them. And after about a month the money was credited to my account saying it is just a provisional credit and post investigation they will either credit or debit the same. And guess what, the amount of transaction was Rs.2800/-. Finally i got my money back and no news from either banks since a month after getting it back.
Old 11th August 2008, 00:02   #19
BHPian

If you ever have any problem with your transactions on your Debit Card / Credit Card or ATM transactions, you will always have to contact your OWN bank. Initially if everything seems to be OK, the money is ideally credited to your account by a method called "Chargeback". The procedures of getting proof and validation happens in the back end by the 2 banks in question.

They might ask your for additional documents (slips etc) to show the ATM bank / merchant to prove the claim is right on their part.

Whenever you have issues like such, always ask your bank / Card co to raise "Chargeback"

I have a lot of experience working for Credit Card fraud and disputes dept for Barclaycard, UK. (And yes, we always required written communication for records)
Old 11th August 2008, 10:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

mmmm.. after reading the posts, it seems that the ATM/Server software mostly does only one type of error (the impacts the end customer):

- Debit the account and NOT dispense the cash

Is it possible to dispense the cash and NOT debit the account? Anyone had this experience?
Old 11th August 2008, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
mmmm.. after reading the posts, it seems that the ATM/Server software mostly does only one type of error (the impacts the end customer):

Is it possible to dispense the cash and NOT debit the account? Anyone had this experience?

Everyone wishes for that to happen, but it never does. Banks are very smart. I even asked the representitive how come they debit the account immediately even if i have transacted using another banks ATM but they never do the so called "ChargeBack" immediately and they couldnt answer.
Now i make it a point to use the respective banks ATM to do any type of transaction, even if i have to travel around a bit.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:55   #22
BHPian

Arghhhh i am also in the same dilemma now, on 31/07/08 i with withdraw cash at corpoaration bank atm in frazer town, i didn't receive the cash but in turn received the receipt saying " Isuer not available resp code **** "

I again try the second time i was able to withdraw 2,000/- i return back to my residence, since i have activated mobile alerts i receive two sms saying i have withdrawed 2,000/- twice. i log on to my account via net banking and all i see is my bank ( ing vysya ) has promptly debited 2,000/- twice.

I had been to Ing vysya bank branch on 03/08/08 and told them the scenario the branch manager there is indeed a very good chap, he advices me not to use corporation bank further for any cash withdrawals and handovers me the claim form and asked a photocopy of the atm slip. i provide him the needfull and the manager tells to wait for eight working days to get my money back.

I hope they do the needfull as soon as possible.

Last edited by praJEEP : 11th August 2008 at 10:57.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:22   #23
BHPian

@praJEEP : I am sure they will credit it back since you have submitted the necessary documents. It will definitely take time for them to credit it back. As i always say, the banks always debit the money from your A/C immediately but always fail to credit it back immediately, they usually take a long time to credit back the money. Anyway, give it sometime and even then if they havent you can approach the HO of ING and raise a complaint.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:47   #24
BHPian

So what is the status now?
Old 13th August 2008, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Status is, as of today. The written letter has been given to the bank by my brother's friend who had gone on a visit to Singapore. As it was a national holiday on the day he went there he could not talk directly to the bank.

My brother is coming to India on 15th, he is leaving today. So will know what is the status only once he is here.

Also, one of his friend tried to withdraw money yesterday(small denomination) again to see if the problem has been rectified. The problem still persists. No money dispensed. It's almost 10 days since the problem was reported to OCBC.

Going by the posts here, it seems Indian banks are more trusting of its customers.
Old 13th August 2008, 23:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Actually I had another kind of error in my favour. This happened this February. I withdrew $1000 from a BOA atm using a BOA card i got $2000 instead of 1000 but got charged only 1000.
The error was instead of getting 100 $10 bills i got 100 $ 20 bills.
Old 4th October 2008, 19:06   #27
BHPian

Happened to me today. HDFC card and ICICI bank ATM
Old 5th October 2008, 08:07   #28
BHPian

The closure for the problem happened only when my brother went there in person and spoke to the branch manager. Even then they were not ready to accept the mistake. They took him to the ATM in the branch to check the card and when it worked, they told no problems.

Gah! in the end money was credited back.
Old 5th October 2008, 15:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Actually I had another kind of error in my favour. This happened this February. I withdrew $1000 from a BOA atm using a BOA card i got $2000 instead of 1000 but got charged only 1000.
The error was instead of getting 100 $10 bills i got 100 $ 20 bills.
Most certainly someone must have come before you and changed the codes on the machine. All you need to do is access the ATM machine with the service codes and you can change the amount dispensed to 2 times the amount entered. So it charged you for 1K but fooled the machine into giving out its twice, 2k. cheers:

Also if this machine was inside a shop/club, the bank is not responsible for the loss, but the owner of the establishment where the machine operates is.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:53   #30
BHPian

hi all,
this happened to me in july.i scratched my debit card at ABT maruti ,trichy.i used my SBI debit card to pay a sum of 6000 towards service charges. the transaction didnt get thru,but the amount was debited.i wrote to sbi trichy.mumbai,and to the banking ombudsman chennai.still my money is at large.
i contact the sbi trichy regularly,but nothing has happened till date.
any suggestions are welcome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks