Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 00:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: ATM Machine Problem, Money Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post
I have heard that interest need to be paid on a daily basis for delay in credit beyond 14 days, so banks do resolve these as quickly as possible.

However they need to have excess physical cash in the machine, since it was not physically dispensed.

If it was dispensed after sometime & some one else took it , tough luck.

Actually that may be the reason such issues happen in the first place so often, and also that they take more than a week (but less than 2) to resolve: the offending bank gets a very cheap (zero interest) unsecured loan from the guy using the ATM.
Old 4th July 2011, 01:59   #62
BHPian

ravi_23 such stuff happens and usually the money gets credited back in 24-72 hours, However you can contact SBI and make a written complaint.
If in the mean time you money reaches back, you can inform the bank, else let them follow up with concerned bank.

Also its certainly not necessary to make complaint at account holding branch, as ATM/Debit card is used on remote location, the details of cash not dispense would be at the city where you tried using the card.

All ATM prints and records each and every transaction done, keeps a copy of it locally and remotely, so once the ATM account is tallied (by the cash management services) there should be a surplus balance, inquiring the error log would tell them which transaction didn't dispense the cash and a refund should be processed.

That's the normal process, Best of luck.

Last edited by ghpk : 4th July 2011 at 02:00.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

I had a problem with the ATM once but for me it was quite the opposite. I asked for Rs1000/- and in return got Rs3000/- . I felt something fishy (obviously) but I was not sure if I typed the correct amount thought would have entered 2600 only so I again entered Rs1000/- and again got Rs2600/-

I checked the mini statement and Rs1000/- only was debited from my account twice.

I didnt have the heart to keep the extra money so I went to the bank branch that was next to the ATM. The problem was diagnosed to human error where the guy filling in cash in the ATM put bundles of Rs100/- where the bundles of Rs500/- have to go and vice versa.

So when I entered Rs1000/- instead of getting 5X 100 and 1X 500 I got 5X500 and 1X100.
Old 4th July 2011, 20:18   #64
BHPian

re: The ATM problems thread

This happened to me a few days back, I wanted to withdraw 5000rs, but there was no money out & the account was credited, I immediately called up ICICI bank expecting a no we cannot help you sir , but surprisingly they were quite helpful & there was reversal within 2 days !!
Old 11th July 2011, 10:02   #65
BHPian

Finally got the money credited back yesterday, took 10 days
Old 12th July 2011, 11:39   #66
BANNED

FYI Notification from my bank:
Quote:
Dear Customer,

RBI issued a circular with effect from 1st July, 2011, banks are required to resolve complaints related to failed ATM transactions within 7 days from the date of receipt of the complaint. Delay in resolution of the complaint entails payment of compensation to the customer @ Rs.100/- per day by the issuing bank. A customer is entitled for compensation, only if a claim is lodged with the bank at which his/her account is held within 30 days of the date of the transaction.
--Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 16:46   #67
BHPian

Reserve Bank of India (RBI) vide Circular DPSS.PD.No.2632/02.10.002/2010-2011 dated 27.05.2011 has made it mandatory that all ATM related complaints regarding credit for unsuccessful transaction where the account is debited but money is not dispensed by the ATM of any Bank, should be resolved and re-credit be given within 7 (working) days by the Bank who has issued the Card and has the account of the customer, failing which the Bank has to pay a penalty of ` 100/- for each day of delay from 8th day without demand from the complainant i.e. the customer.

Last edited by hellletloose : 17th July 2011 at 16:47.
hellletloose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 19:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Had faced similar issue with RBS recently on ICICI Bank ATM.

Money did not get credited to my account within 48 hours. I downloaded a form (Failed ATM Transaction form) from their website, filled it up and couriered it to my RBS branch.

Money was refunded exactly on the 7th day after the incident.

Last edited by DCEite : 17th July 2011 at 19:53.
Old 5th November 2014, 13:47   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Used my Axis debit card in Citi bank ATM and money not dispensed (but debited from my account)
Whom should I contact now? Please do share the contact number aswell.

PS: Tried contacting the customer care (Citi Bank) number available on the ATM but it seems only a citi bank customer can access it (with account / credit card / loan number)
Old 5th November 2014, 13:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Used my Axis debit card in Citi bank ATM and money not dispensed (but debited from my account)
Whom should I contact now? Please do share the contact number aswell.

PS: Tried contacting the customer care (Citi Bank) number available on the ATM but it seems only a citi bank customer can access it (with account / credit card / loan number)
You should call your Axis bank customer care and register a complaint, Usually the money is credited back into the account soon enough.
Old 5th November 2014, 14:03   #71
BHPian

Don't worry, this seems to be a common issue mainly with PSU ATMs. call your bank or send them an email with your complaint and Amount will be credited back in 2-3 weeks. I had similar issues twice with my HDFC card while drawing from SBI, BOB ATM and received the amount back within 2 weeks.
Old 5th November 2014, 15:00   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
You should call your Axis bank customer care and register a complaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
call your bank or send them an email with your complaint
Thank you guys. Sent an email to Axis bank for registering complaint. Will post the update ASAP.
Old 5th November 2014, 15:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Anything above 4-6Hours is bad and bordering-illegal on the part of banks. Assuming the server updates the batch jobs everynight, it is not a big deal to revert that amount within a day. Technically they are diverting funds from our account to their working capital (suspense account belongs to the banks in balance sheet), and say they accumulate 5-10Lakhs per city on average, imagine the interest or any beneft they earn out of this!!
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:38   #74
BHPian

ATM Fraud: advice to safe guard my money and ensure refund

I have been dodging challenges all of January, I have barely tried to balance myself after a bad accident and in comes another shocker, though I’d like to think of this as a temporary phase, these situations sap a lot of energy reserved for the future.

ATM’s for me is more than a consumer convenience product, my life is intertwined, I have far greater dependency than can be imagined, the joy and relief I experience when cash strapped on a distant trip, on seeing an ATM after travelling kilometers upon kilometers is unique.

I look at it as a friend who comes to my need always, I don’t normally carry extra cash and hence often end up in an ATM to help me, (this will change soon as ATM transactions are now charged) I try to restrict my transactions to card swipes for two reasons, one, extra cash gets blown off without thinking twice, secondly, it helps keep tab of expenses and purchases as they get recorded in the statement.

I take my share of casual caution when I am in an ATM to ensure that there isn’t anything abnormal attached or protruding on the machine that a layman would notice, I also ensure that there aren’t people looking over my shoulder. Of course I go by the basic assumption that the ATM is safe to operate and the bank constantly ensures it is in good health and secure.

Now with a heavy heart I share my unfortunate experience here, why because this can happen to anyone, we all visit ATM’s often, if not multiple times a day. Since I have been a victim I chose to post here so it can help us all be more aware and alert, this won’t completely eliminate the risk but will make us cautious.

Also since BHPians are from different walks of life, there could be some who are experts in this field hence I seek advice from them on how to avoid such incidents in the future and also my course of action in the current scenario.

On Jan 29th 2016 suspicious unauthorized transactions from two accounts of mine and a third one belonging to my fiance were observed in the evening, totaling about 1.3 lakhs, causing panic and stress. This was due to a suspected scam by a fraudster who had duplicated card details for transactions done on Jan 25th from ICICI ATM which is attached to the bank in Porvorim, Goa near PDA colony, the said transactions were routed through London proving the Fraud.

On recent inspection it was noticed that this Porvorim ATM does not have any overhead surveillance cameras and hence may well have be an insider job, recent reports floating around mention that about 22 users were swindled.

I vividly recollect this ATM visit as I had parked the car on the side of highway adjoining this ATM, earlier cars were parked along the side of this road, recently they built a pavement along the side, I as usual parked my car along the side and to my surprise the traffic cell put lock for parking in no parking zone. I rushed out of the ATM after hurriedly completing my transfers and withdrawal so I could get them to release the car immediately, it’s a hassle to call them back once the traffic cops have gone ahead. I paid 100 bucks and was happy I didn’t have to go through an ordeal. Sadly this story had another end destined.

Since this is a significant sum for us it has disturbed our daily balance. I visited the bank the following day and for my accounts handed a formal complaint letter along with proof of presence and also registered the complaints with the help line. I could not do the same for my fiance as she is currently overseas in the Gulf and had left Goa earlier that week, I hence have requested her to send signed physical copies through registered post which I can then hand over to the bank.

I approached the local police station but was turned down stating this complaint belongs to the cyber cell, since this is a virtual crime let me know what are the next steps to follow to protect myself and my fiance from being white washed and ensure our hard earned savings remain intact, also ensuring we get full refund and compensation without haggling or unwanted delays.

I am assured by my bank, ICICI not to worry, they have promised that I will be credited full refund after their internal investigation. Supposedly their insurance will pay them after investigation. Since my fiance is in the gulf, it may take a bit longer for her to get this credited back. I am secretly being optimistic, though I am worried at how my new year is shaping, in fact I have been asking around on how to change and improve my time. I am sure there must be better things to come once I get all this behind me.

I have been reading about ATM frauds on Google and here are some of those links:

https://www.commbank.com.au/personal...ness_guide.pdf

http://www.theage.com.au/ed_docs/skimmer.pdf

http://www.ossianstatebank.com/uploa...%20Devices.pdf

And few other related articles:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...-scam-1282.php

http://money.howstuffworks.com/atm-skimming.htm

http://www.komando.com/tips/278304/h...d-skimmers/all

http://wtnh.com/2014/12/03/police-gi...mming-devices/

I had enough of this roller coaster, Friends wish me lots of luck and good fortune for this new year!

Last edited by s_pphilip : 3rd February 2016 at 04:42.
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:34   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ATM Fraud: advice to safe guard my money and ensure refund

Oh boy!!
2016 is just not being kind to you, is it?

Anyway, the bank HAS to carry out its own investigation, and is liable to pay you back for fraudulent transactions. However, with their own processes etc, this may take some time, and at worst, dilly dally. Apparently, if they refuse, they can be challenged. Especially for you, since the amount is big. I can understand how that may put your planning out of whack.

In the meantime, take some time off, take a train to a desolate place, (dont drive!), grab your favorite movies/books/music, and do nothing. Thats what I do to get some peace of mind. And you definitely need to get some of that.
Take care, and someone said, "This too shall pass."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks