Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 11:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
The child in me woke up last weekend and I got myself this humongous battery operated chinese heli. You can see the comparison with the mobile phone in the pics just to get an idea how big this is. This thing needs a large area to fly and the frontyard of our house was not enough that I kept crashing into the plants in the garden even trimming the leaves in the bargain. On the first charge the battery lasted for almost half an hour, hope the duration lasts longer on further usage.

As the pics speak, its got leds in the 'missiles' as well as headlights. Heli battery is rechargeable and has a connector which can be disconnected when the chopper is not in use for long periods. The whole unit is lightweight and the rotating blades are as loud as a vaccuum cleaner. I love this thing!
Hey nice buy!

It would be great if you could post a small video if the flight and also a review of your flying experience in terms of how easy/difficult is it to fly and what range and turbulence level can this thing handle.

Whats the $$ damage btw?
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 12:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hey nice buy!

It would be great if you could post a small video if the flight and also a review of your flying experience in terms of how easy/difficult is it to fly and what range and turbulence level can this thing handle.

Whats the $$ damage btw?

Thank you mate! My friend bought a regular size modelart heli last week and flying it was pretty easy, this inspired me to go for one as I am a RC fan, have owned many RC cars since childhood, however with the model I bought is slightly tacky to control because of the size and the heli tends to glide backwards by default when on air, I will need time getting used to it as I have no RC flying experience at all and to be honest flying this heli is pretty scary than flying my friend's modelart. I am planning to fly this on a ground hopefully this weekend and a video should be on the horizon.

Total damages: Actual MRP is 5k, got a 1K discount, making it 4k
alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 13:08   #63
BHPian

I came across this thread only today. I started on this hobby in 2006. But due to a lot of travel and work pressures, the model had been idling at home in Chennai. Now that I shuttle between Hyd and Chennai, I hardly get any time for this. I intend to move back to Chennai, later this year, and then plan to get back on the hobby. Probably need to change all the batteries, and start from a new Trainer again. Anybody here flying Plane (or fixed wing) at Sholavaram or anyother fields in Chennai?
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I came across this thread only today. I started on this hobby in 2006. But due to a lot of travel and work pressures, the model had been idling at home in Chennai. Now that I shuttle between Hyd and Chennai, I hardly get any time for this. I intend to move back to Chennai, later this year, and then plan to get back on the hobby. Probably need to change all the batteries, and start from a new Trainer again. Anybody here flying Plane (or fixed wing) at Sholavaram or anyother fields in Chennai?
I can put you to the best flyers in Chennai. Sholavaram is officially closed.

Alston, once you have a crash, you will know the difference between a hobby grade Heli and Toy one. You will be unable to fix the toy ones. Look at a Hobby grade one.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd February 2012 at 00:10.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Just curious, are these remote controlled airplanes legal in India? Considering their Radio usage does anyone know about any issue if brought one from abroad as a check in luggage ?

I found a beautiful gasoline powered and remote controlled airplane for sale at my next door, but not sure if they are allowed at the customs hence keeping my side away but if anyone of you have had experience bringing one to India .. well I'm joining this league.

THUNDER TIGER WINDSTAR GLIDER RTF
IT HAS RUDDER,
ELEVATOR AND THROTTLE CONTROL,
SWITCH AND CHARGING JACK MOUNTED ON SIDE OF FUSELAGE.
THE MOTOR IS AN .09 ENYA WITH A 2 OUNCE TANK FOR @ 30 MINUTES OF FLIGHT TIME DEPENDING UPON THERMALS.
THE RADIO SYSTEM IS A FUTABA ATTACK, 4 CHANNELS AND SERVOS ARE 3 FPS-148S .
HAVE ALL ORIGINAL BOXES AND MANUALS.
THE ENGINE PURRS LIKE A KITTEN AND THE PLANE FLIES LIKE A BIRD.......
JUST INSTALLED NEW 4.8 VOLT BATTERIES IN AIRPLANE FOR RECEIVER

the above is the description of the plane in question, while telling me about customs and legality also please let me know if this configuration is good one

Last edited by trammway : 2nd February 2012 at 09:04.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:24   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I can put you to the best flyers in Chennai. Sholavaram is officially closed.
Thanks, mail4ajo, will contact you once I move back for good.

That is bad, I was expecting it, given the location, the realestate growing around. Where is the new field

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hi,

Just curious, are these remote controlled airplanes legal in India? Considering their Radio usage does anyone know about any issue if brought one from abroad as a check in luggage ?

I found a beautiful gasoline powered and remote controlled airplane for sale at my next door, but not sure if they are allowed at the customs hence keeping my side away but if anyone of you have had experience bringing one to India .. well I'm joining this league.

the above is the description of the plane in question, while telling me about customs and legality also please let me know if this configuration is good one
@Trammway:With regards to radio, let me say it could be "tricky" with the customs. Last time I got some servos from Europe, they did not release the baggage. I had to explain the usage, they listened to everything, and insisted that I get the model in which it was to be used. The next day I took the model and they were happy to release. They explained the reason as well as to why the did not release earlier.

I would suggest you start of with a 40 or a 60 trainer under supervision before going into gasoline models. If you are moving to south India, would suggest that you start with electric. Though you do not hear the actual engines as in a glow engine, it does make life easier in many other ways. Gliders are slightly different, since it uses its engine only to climb and not really powerful. You could move to it once you go solo on a trainer.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 2nd February 2012 at 11:26.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

My Exp with RC aircraft is close to zero. But since I have moved closely with many flyers in Chennai including the famous flyer "Billa", I can say a gas model is certainly not the first model you want.

Electrics are the best way to start, but if you insist on nitro, start with a high wing. Spend time on the simulator and learn from experts. I have seen all types of aircraft in Chennai starting from foamies, gliders, funjets, gas Yaks & Helis to turbine jets & Helis. Trust me its more difficult to fly than one think.

India is a good market for aeromodelling. You can buy stuff in all ranges and have people using all kinds of stuff from cheap Hobbyking items to fuel injected jets. Head out to www.rcindia.org for latest updates.
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:25   #68
BHPian

I have a modelart RC chopper. 15 cm end to end. Got for 1.5 grand. Amazing to use indoors. In fact, I seat at a place and navigate it through various rooms
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I would suggest you start of with a 40 or a 60 trainer under supervision before going into gasoline models. If you are moving to south India, would suggest that you start with electric. Though you do not hear the actual engines as in a glow engine, it does make life easier in many other ways. Gliders are slightly different, since it uses its engine only to climb and not really powerful. You could move to it once you go solo on a trainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I can say a gas model is certainly not the first model you want.

Electrics are the best way to start, but if you insist on nitro, start with a high wing. Spend time on the simulator and learn from experts. I have seen all types of aircraft in Chennai starting from foamies, gliders, funjets, gas Yaks & Helis to turbine jets & Helis. Trust me its more difficult to fly than one think.
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the inputs, I was only interested in it because the price quoted for almost new set is $150 (Radio, Glider and engine)
Old 8th February 2012, 02:12   #70
BHPian

Hi All,

Spotted this RC shop in Jayanagar 9th Block, few pics attached, This place has it all, right from smallest spares to full ready to fly models. I believe that this place is run by few Jain college students who are hard core aero modeling students and they also have huge collection of simulators for planes as well as helicopters.

Will post more pics later on.

-Sajan
Attached Thumbnails
Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling-img2012020500056.jpg  

Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling-img2012020500057.jpg  

Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling-img2012020500058.jpg  

Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling-img2012020500059.jpg  

Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling-img2012020500060.jpg  

Miniature Remote controlled Airplanes & Aeromodelling-img2012020500061.jpg  

sajands is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 08:01   #71
BHPian

RCBazzar is a great place, I've picked up stuff from them.. Good service and committed people.
Old 19th January 2013, 10:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Aamby Valley Aeromodelling Meet 24-27 January 2013

Came across the event Aamby Valley Aeromodelling Meet on 24-27 January 2013 being organized by Wings India at Aamby Valley, near Lonavala. The link to the event details is as below. I have no personal involvement in the event. Also, I am first time investigating on such an event and primarily for attending it as a visitor.

http://www.wingindia.com/meet2013.htm

Below images from the above link only:

I will leave the event details to the webpage, which are too much to put in here can be referred in the link posted above.

A few loud thoughts/questions:

1. How much viable is it for a non-flier visitor to go there and enjoy the show for somebody visiting from Mumbai/Pune?

Its about 130-150 kms one-way from Mumbai so the day trip which is easily doable.

2. Is it viable to take family (I guess yes if it is only a couple) especially very small kids for the meet? Are the other arrangements for acco/hotelling/freshen up available close by at hand in case needed for families?

3. It also clashes with the Parx SuperCar Show on 26-27 January 2013 in Mumbai. So dilemma for some on what to miss and what to catch.

Last edited by parsh : 19th January 2013 at 10:29.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 19:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the inputs, I was only interested in it because the price quoted for almost new set is $150 (Radio, Glider and engine)
hi trammway, can you pls share the address location in Chennai where they model? I'd be interested in signing up to learn the aero modeling, sort of get my hands dirty if they are ready to teach the skill...do you know if they have such arrangement? I can spend my weekends there.
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:22   #74
BHPian

Hello,
Can anyone let me know if there is a shop for R/C planes in Goa.If yes then please let me have the address.I prefer to have a look see in the flesh ,so to speak , rather than buying one over the net.

Thanks
Anosh.F.Dhondy
Old 8th June 2015, 18:02   #75
Senior - BHPian

An old video of Gurunath (of the CSK fame) flying his Turbine Jet. Sorry for the video quality, was shot by me in 2009.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks