Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 16:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Does any manufacturer build a bluetooth set similar to a hearing aid ?
As far as i am aware there is no manufacturer as such because companies need to build attractive peices to sell and hearing aid ain't attractive!
Old 14th August 2008, 17:17   #17
BHPian

How about a Blue tooth speaker phone or a car's hands free kit? . It should work in this case as you are not wearing anything and sound comes over the speaker or the Car audio system.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:21   #18
BHPian

Isn't it funny that while it is considered dangerous to talk over the phone even using a bluetooth headset, it is perfectly OK to smoke with a cigarette in one hand and drive. what happens if you accidentally drop a lit cigarette inside the car, maybe on your seat when you are driving :-)
Old 14th August 2008, 18:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Isn't it funny that while it is considered dangerous to talk over the phone even using a bluetooth headset, it is perfectly OK to smoke with a cigarette in one hand and drive. what happens if you accidentally drop a lit cigarette inside the car, maybe on your seat when you are driving :-)
Mate if you check out the new regulations then Smoking a cig while driving has been banned as well and in Delhi region invites the fine of 100.00. Not sure about the fine in other states but the law is same for whole India.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think even smoking and driving is illegal.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
How about a Blue tooth speaker phone or a car's hands free kit? . It should work in this case as you are not wearing anything and sound comes over the speaker or the Car audio system.
The idea behind the ban is to minimize accidents that occur becuase you are distracted from the road by your phone. Bluetooth or not, your are still answering your phone, aren't you? So that's illegal.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:15   #22
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it funny that while it is considered dangerous to talk over the phone even using a bluetooth headset, it is perfectly OK to smoke with a cigarette in one hand and drive.
Yes and they drive at pathetic speeds, one hand hanging out like Mumbai-cabbies with ciggie.
Smoking, all psychological & style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
The idea behind the ban is to minimize accidents that occur becuase you are distracted from the road by your phone. Bluetooth or not, your are still answering your phone, aren't you? So that's illegal.
Absolutely. I agree with distractions. I suffer from it too, sometimes.
I drive with a bluetooth but I dont have one of those which looks like hearing aid piece. I have a itech clip II mini, a bluetooth with a small wire. I clip it to my seat belt.
Old 22nd August 2008, 00:25   #23
BHPian

How about the new law stating. "Talking to co-passengers is prohibited" as they talk to them, got distracted. AFAIK the reason for banning mobile is they bend their neck to hold phone makes them to lose concentration. I believe in US there is phone answering kit paired by bluetooth so you need not to bend your neck and talk.
If talking is disturbing with proper headset then why the H*ll F1 car drivers are conversating even 300+ kmph without any issues
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:01   #24
BHPian

In cochin i was caught using a bluetooth headset while driving .
I don't know if there are any law stating that it is legal or illegal but the cops sure don't know and it varies from cop to cop and i was unlucky to have caught by a cop who thought it was illegal .
he was not even ready to listen to my explanation and i had to pay a fine of 500 .
So i guess cochin cops have no idea regarding this and it varies on their mood.
Just imagine they fight with their wife and come then we are really screwed

thanks
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:19   #25
BHPian

that is an interesting query, is it legal or not to talk in air while driving, coz thats what you do even when you speak to your fellow passengers? so is it illegal to simply speak when driving?
Old 24th August 2009, 09:15   #26
BANNED

No it is not. However, I think it should be permitted.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:47   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Talking on any kind of headset - whether the normal one with wires or the Bluetooth ones are considered illegal.

However, I believe that sense should prevail and bluetooth atleast should be made legal because one cannot completely avoid answering calls while driving.

If blue tooth is also illegal, then what about talking to ones co-passengers while driving? Unless one takes the vows of a trappist monk or something, I really dont see people putting a stop to talking to their co-passengers/ family etc while driving. by the same logic, one shouldnt be allowed to either eat or drink even a sip of water while driving - considering that one normally uses one's hands to hold the food and/ or water bottle.(Not all of us have that rallyists water bag and tube mounted in our cars).

the rules logic is skewed according to me. Yes I totally agree and support NOT talking on the phone by holding the phone in ones hand etc.But the whole need for that is obviated by Blue tooth. And one simply needs to press the blue tooth button to take or disconnect a call. the same way one may feel like scratching one's ear or nose while driving (against which there is no rule as far as I am aware)!

I believe the government should recognise this and simply make head-sets mandatory - preferably blue tooth headsets.

lets consider - even today, after much hemming and hawing and years gone by, there is still no strict enforcement of the helmet rule on two wheeler riders across many cities, towns and villages of india.

this, in my opinion is a far more necessary enforcement for the government to take up on priority. Along with this, YES, please make headsets mandatory for all mobile users!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th August 2009 at 09:49.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Talking on any kind of headset - whether the normal one with wires or the Bluetooth ones are considered illegal.

If blue tooth is also illegal, then what about talking to ones co-passengers while driving? Unless one takes the vows of a trappist monk or something, I really dont see people putting a stop to talking to their co-passengers/ family etc while driving. by the same logic, one shouldnt be allowed to either eat or drink even a sip of water while driving - considering that one normally uses one's hands to hold the food and/ or water bottle.(Not all of us have that rallyists water bag and tube mounted in our cars).

the rules logic is skewed according to me.
i agree with banning all sorts of phone communication while driving while talking to co passengers is alright. the rule was created after doing much research. it's not about using a hand. it's about the passive nature of communication. otherwise it would have been a discrimination against people with one arm. passengers are always aware of the situation and driving conditions so will adjust to that while they talk. talking on the phone is not like that. you apply more concentration to other person talking and that person cannot adjust to your driving condition. i always pull aside while talking or don't attend calls. to me, everything in the world can wait while i'm driving.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

It is illegal to use any headset while driving. But sometimes I need to answer my call. I do it after switching on speaker mode and keeping my phone on dash. My phone has easy option for switching on speaker mode.

But I try to avoid as much as possible.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

There are many a studies done in EU and USA that shows that talking on the go and drinking and driving are at the same concentration levels that is equal to +80 years or constant driving after 3 days of no sleep.

The reaction time reduces significantly. I would say keep your phones on silent while you sit on the driver's seat and take the calls only once you get off. Taking calls while driving is not good, not only for you but for others on road. The others honk and the person on phone does not give way as distracted on call, this adds to road rage. I see girls even trying to sms while driving. That is suicidal and homicide.

The bluetooth integration with cars was brought to stream your songs to the car stereo not to make calls. That is 1 up by geeks In Delhi listening to car stereo too is illegal. You can not argue with the cops here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks