Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 09:44   #91
BHPian

Hi Guys

What is the best interest rate are you getting?

Usually I dont use CC, but when i got a (spam) call from HDFC, 3.4% APR was too sweet, so i accepted the offer.

But when i received the card, the terms and conditions state that 3.4 is for 1 month, not year. For year is it around 39% - CRAP !!

Any suggestion on banks offering good interest rates?
Old 30th July 2009, 10:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
HSBC levies surcharge for Petrol transactions for the Classic cards from June 1st.

I had this card for quite a long time and have been using only for this purpose. A shocker came in the latest bill when I found that there was a total surcharge of more than Rs.100. When enquired, they said it is implemented from June 1st and customers were informed in the April month statement! I immediately checked the statement ( which surprisingly I had) and there was no mention. Then comes the explanation from HSBC that they had enclosed a leaflet mentioning this change in the envelope, ONLY in the month of April about this! But who cares these loads of leaflets on various crap offers we get normally?? Atleast I didn't care and paid the price too.

I got the card cancelled last week.
I have the same card for the last five years. As soon as I got this info from their website, I stopped using it. Now I am waiting to get my 1500 reward points credited for an offer and I will also cancel this card. Too bad, this has been one of the most functional and trouble free cards I have ever had (well atleast till the major system upgrade last year).
Old 30th July 2009, 10:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Just to add up.
Citibank platinum card - no surcharge at any pump
a) Now all Citibank cards can be used without surcharge at all IOC bunks, if it is swiped on a Citibank machine. Using it at any other bunk will attract charges. Just verified this with the bank over phone (mine is a platinum card).

b) HDFC Bank Platinum credit card - no surcharge at any bunk if the transaction value is Rs 450.00 or above.

c) ICICI Bank Titanium card - no surcharge at any bunk for any value.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th July 2009 at 10:53.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Now I am waiting to get my 1500 reward points credited for an offer and I will also cancel this card. Too bad, this has been one of the most functional and trouble free cards I have ever had (well atleast till the major system upgrade last year).
First thing I did was to redeem my points. And the sweet voice told me about their change of policy ( another one!) that they charge Rs.50+tax for redemption handling charges!!

Yeah, I agree that HSBC has been a trouble free one and their website was neat too. But thats it; not any more.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
HSBC levies surcharge for Petrol transactions for the Classic cards from June 1st.

I had this card for quite a long time and have been using only for this purpose. A shocker came in the latest bill when I found that there was a total surcharge of more than Rs.100. When enquired, they said it is implemented from June 1st and customers were informed in the April month statement! I immediately checked the statement ( which surprisingly I had) and there was no mention. Then comes the explanation from HSBC that they had enclosed a leaflet mentioning this change in the envelope, ONLY in the month of April about this! But who cares these loads of leaflets on various crap offers we get normally?? Atleast I didn't care and paid the price too.

I got the card cancelled last week.
I came to know of this shocker - withdrawal of "Petrol Surcharge of 2.5%" only a couple of days back.

I complained to their nodal officer (via email) that this change has not been communicated to card members.

I got a stupid reply saying

"the same has been already updated in our website. We request you
to refer the appended link for the same.

Credit Card India. Compare credit cards for the best | HSBC Bank India

We hope that the above clarifies your concern."

It looks like HSBC expects their credit card customers to visit their website everyday and check the changes in the fine-print!
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:09   #96
BHPian

How much TIPS?

I am never sure what is the right TIPS amount to pay for various service providers. This thread is to find how much people usually tip the following guys:

1. Waiter at restaurant
2. Room service
3. Bellboys at hotel
4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants
5. Valet parking drivers
6. Taxi/auto drivers

Also, does the TIPS amount vary depending on the number of stars a hotel has?
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:38   #97
BHPian

Here is what I pay:
1. Waiter at restaurant - 5% for the bill
2. Room service - Rs.10
3. Bellboys at hotel - Rs.10-20 depending on number of bags.
4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants - Rs.10
5. Valet parking drivers - Rs.10
6. Taxi/auto drivers - Rs.5 for auto and Rs.10 for taxi.

Is this less/more or correct?
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:03   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
Here is what I pay:
1. Waiter at restaurant - 5% for the bill
2. Room service - Rs.10
3. Bellboys at hotel - Rs.10-20 depending on number of bags.
4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants - Rs.10
5. Valet parking drivers - Rs.10
6. Taxi/auto drivers - Rs.5 for auto and Rs.10 for taxi.

Is this less/more or correct?
A 10Rs in a star hotel? They give you a stare back. Any kind of tip is now at a 50Rs note level nowadays when you go out on business trips. even tough you dont pay from your pocket for the room or the car, you end up shelling out money on this tipping which is a big drain (esp when you dont have any change in your pocket). It has become such a norm that you need to handout the notes for however little they do. Now a days, I would prefer to wheel my bag or open the car & keep my bag inside myself.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Resturant / Dining
---------------------
No tip for not satisfactory service.
2% of the bill amount for the normal service
3% of the bill amount for service with personal attention
5% of the bill amount for extra ordinary service

No tips for buffet service.

20 RS for Valet Parking (short duration), 40 RS for long duration.
20 RS for the luggage delivery to the room within 5 minutes.

20 RS to the driver for the airport pick up/drop during day time and 50 RS for the night time pick up/drop

no tips for the door man.

No tips for the room service as they anyway charge extra service charges.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:43   #100
BHPian

5-10% of the bill depending on service.

Any messing in service results in no tip. eg, not/delay in serving water in summer etc - u got my point.

I also tip Rs5 or so to the "chotu" guys in hotels who clean the table before the bill is provided.

Last edited by subscrive : 22nd November 2009 at 14:49.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:52   #101
BHPian

" No tips for the room service as they anyway charge extra service charges."
Is this not service tax - which goes to the govt and is not something that the hotel/service provide gets?
Please clarify.
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:02   #102
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

have made some suggestions in bold below based on general thumb rule and personal experience.

Quote:
I am never sure what is the right TIPS amount to pay for various service providers. This thread is to find how much people usually tip the following guys:

1. Waiter at restaurant - approx 7-10% of the bill value unless the restaurant/ hotel already charges a service charge. In this case, if one has been very happy with the attentiveness and service, one is welcome to leave a little more as a gesture of appreciation.
2. Room service - 7-10% of the bill value - plus same point as above.
In restaurants in Europe when one tips, it is usually only when one has been extremely well-treated. Most trattorias and normal restaurants add a service charge to the bill. It is nice to tip Taxi drivers in Europe- they never ask, but greatly appreciate it when one does tip them. In the UK it is nice to tip at restaurants and it is usually well received. Taxi drivers in the UK appreciate a little tip on top of the fare.
In the UAE and South East Asia tipping is pretty much expected of one and thus is pretty much the norm.
3. Bellboys at hotel - 10-20 Rs in general
4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants - 10-20 Rs in general
5. Valet parking drivers - 10-20 Rs in general
6. Taxi/auto drivers - if the bill is say Rs 80-85 - give him a 100 and tell him to keep the change. For an Airport taxi ride - Say 800 bucks bill - give at least a 50 - maybe a 100 to the driver.
Porters / Attendants at the Stations in India - do give them what they ask and a little over besides - the poor chaps are carrying your irritatingly heavy baggage and working in lousy conditions!

Also, does the TIPS amount vary depending on the number of stars a hotel has? (this is generally a function of the bill amount incurred)
Other than Tipping a simple Please, Thank you and general politeness goes a very long way indeed. I ve seen many of our countrymen being less than polite here in India as well as when overseas and by god, from observation I can tell you that many of them simply hate parting with a few bucks as a tip!!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd November 2009 at 15:04.
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:05   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Resturant / Dining
---------------------
No tip for not satisfactory service.
2% of the bill amount for the normal service
3% of the bill amount for service with personal attention
5% of the bill amount for extra ordinary service

No tips for buffet service.

20 RS for Valet Parking (short duration), 40 RS for long duration.
20 RS for the luggage delivery to the room within 5 minutes.

20 RS to the driver for the airport pick up/drop during day time and 50 RS for the night time pick up/drop

no tips for the door man.

No tips for the room service as they anyway charge extra service charges.
During buffet, who clears your plates, brings oyu water, brings you a fresh plate, some cutlery, etc? Dont they deserve something at least?
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:09   #104
BANNED

Quote:

1. Waiter at restaurant
2. Room service
3. Bellboys at hotel
4. Doorman at hotel & restaurants
5. Valet parking drivers
6. Taxi/auto drivers

Also, does the TIPS amount vary depending on the number of stars a hotel has?
1-4. I don't pay, as i'm already paying them for the services as per Bill
5. I never uses this and never recommend this to anybody
6. Never, Unless they don't have the change. Bangalore auto drivers are already overcharging and they wont use the meter.
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:12   #105
BHPian

"During buffet, who clears your plates, brings oyu water, brings you a fresh plate, some cutlery, etc? Dont they deserve something at least?"

You are mistaken with the concept.
TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.
Theres no service during buffet.

During buffet, you are supposed to take your own water/plates from respective locations, keep used plates in disposable container etc.

There are some hotels/places (like bedekar misal etc) where the food is "pre-paid" n you bring the food etc. But providing water, removing dishes etc is done by the someone else - and its not expected that you tip the guys.
I hv specifically not named macD (in India) etc, since I find that they expect the customer to take food/dispose dishes, but provide services like serving water etc. which is modified version.

Last edited by subscrive : 22nd November 2009 at 15:31.

Most Viewed