Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 02:13   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

Would you mind disclosing information as to when and where she had her surgery. Also who was her doctor?

cheers:
The surgery was done at Manipal Hospital in Bangalore. The Doctor was Dr. Anil Wani.

She had her surgery in may this year. I could PM you more details but I'm not really sure about the medical terms. Let me know what information you need.
Old 23rd August 2008, 02:37   #47
Team-BHP Support

Wow sam, I have also worn these plastic thingy after operations.
Anyways, stay away from Girls. First they drink your contacts, then they give you conjunctivitis.
Old 23rd August 2008, 04:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I went to the extremity of chosing a lady paediatric dentist for my root canal that happend last month. My reason was, its a lady (will be kind to patients by nature) and she does dental care for children (so will be more kind and patient to anyone). And I was 100% right on my thoughts.
When I had to first visit a dentist as an adult, I chose a lady dentist too. Why? Because she was so pretty, of course !
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:15   #49
BHPian

I have been wearing glasses from 5th std onwards and doc said that i should have examined my eye when i was 2 yrs old.its -3.5 in my right eye and around 8 in my left. infact i dont remember how much it is in my left . since it cant be corrected with glasses, doc advised me to use same power as in right eye. i cant see anything with my left eye. last year i checked if Lasik can be done. i was hopeful but dissaponted when i was told that there was no use since there were no issue with retina . problem was with some nerves. and i was told that this cannot be corrected due to this.

Any idea on this? Has anyone heard/ experienced similar problem that was treated succesfuly?
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

My vision was -5 and -9 when I got my LASIK done, must have been in the year 2000 - I was about 20 years old then. As on today, my vision is perfect.

My sister got a LASIK done in '98 when she was about 19. Then, her no. was -2 -3 types. Unfortunately, she hasn't been so lucky and got a no. of -0.5 in one eye about 2-3 years ago.

Nonetheless, LASIK is something I would recommend.
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
My vision was -5 and -9 when I got my LASIK done, must have been in the year 2000 - I was about 20 years old then. As on today, my vision is perfect.

My sister got a LASIK done in '98 when she was about 19. Then, her no. was -2 -3 types. Unfortunately, she hasn't been so lucky and got a no. of -0.5 in one eye about 2-3 years ago.

Nonetheless, LASIK is something I would recommend.
I guess you are lucky. Your sister has experienced what generally happens to most myopics. There is a tendency for the dioptres to increase with each passing year till the age of 40. In my own case, I started with -3 in both eyes at age 17, and over the years it increased to -4.5 in the right eye and -7.5 in the left. However, there has been no increase from age 40 (8 years ago). Only change is from age 43, even presbyopia (long sight) of +1.5 has developed in each eye.
I was told that if I underwent Lasik, I would still need glasses to read owing to presbyopia, and that it would become more noticeable after lasik.
Apart from this, since the surgeon to whom I went for second opinion scared the daylights out of me, I dropped the idea.
Now I am getting renewed vigour to pursue that option once again.
Thanks, Sam and others, for positng your experiences here.
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

Great Real Time post of LASIK experience !!!

First of all I would like to thank Sam for effort to pen down his experience regarding LASIK.

Well my experience is more or less same as Sam during early days of my life. I have had my specs in class 5th and believe me it was kind of painful experience. It is almost 24 - 25 years that I married to spectacles and she(spectacles) is no mood divorcing me.

Even, I have not switched to even lenses as my repeated consultancy with doctor and every time their discouraging remarks regarding my mixed power minus power(Myopia) + Astigmatism and their doubt about whether contact lenses will suit my eyes or not.

But during my last consultation in Bangalore I was told that they will experiment with my eyes with contact lenses for 15 days and they will see whether it will suit my eye or not.

My power is kind of fixed and it around

Spherical: -3.25 (L), -2.50 (R),
Cylindrical: -3.00(L), - 3.25(R)

DocG can you advise (offline advise) whether my eyes is suitable for contact lenses or not?
Old 24th August 2008, 20:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

I had been waiting till Sam completed his narration before reading the entire post, he has a way of making you want more with his style of writing, didn't want to end up with that feeling.
Great narration Sam.
Could you and the others who have undergone this procedure tell us about the costs involved and long term side effects if any.
Also what precautions are to be taken in general to keep seeing right.
Regards,
Hari.
Old 24th August 2008, 20:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Can LASIK be done for +.75 and +.5 ? ,short sight ( cant see far objects clearly ,correct ? ) .
Old 24th August 2008, 22:54   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
There is a tendency for the dioptres to increase with each passing year till the age of 40. However, there has been no increase from age 40 (8 years ago). Only change is from age 43, even presbyopia (long sight) of +1.5 has developed in each eye.

I was told that if I underwent Lasik, I would still need glasses to read owing to presbyopia, and that it would become more noticeable after lasik.
I am 45 and need glasses to read. However I am also very senile and because of this often (a) loose my glasses despite having multiple sets or (b) walk around with my glasses on my nose despite the fact I am not reading.

My Opthal told me that since I only recently got a number I need to wait till the number stablises which can take up to 10 years!

Does Lasik correct for presbyopia as well as myopia?
Old 24th August 2008, 23:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

mishra ji

your kinda contact lenses will be custom made and will start from like 3k+ to typically around 6k a pair. toroidal (?) stuff requiring a littil more care in wearing properly but can be done. Speak only to mfrs and shop around.

/friend in delhi got for 2.4k a couple of years back, while a friend went to pseud optical boutique and paid 5k for similar lenses.
Old 25th August 2008, 02:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Can LASIK be done for +.75 and +.5 ? ,short sight ( cant see far objects clearly ,correct ? ) .
I dont think for that kind of power u should be going under the knife.
Old 25th August 2008, 03:12   #58
BHPian

I commend sam for contributing so much knowledge with this thread

I have a question, What's the difference between lasik and Custom LASIK? What are the costs involved for each procedure?
Old 25th August 2008, 03:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess you are lucky. Your sister has experienced what generally happens to most myopics. There is a tendency for the dioptres to increase with each passing year till the age of 40. In my own case, I started with -3 in both eyes at age 17, and over the years it increased to -4.5 in the right eye and -7.5 in the left. However, there has been no increase from age 40 (8 years ago). Only change is from age 43, even presbyopia (long sight) of +1.5 has developed in each eye.
1) The "power" when acquired at a young age, increases rapidly during puberty, and later stabilises. Say at around the age of 21-22. Any time after this is safe to opt for LASIK. What you are talking about is age related problems of accomodation, yes they do crop up, the "power" does advance with age.

2) Presbyopia is not a refractive error. It is the insufficiency of accomodation [of the lens of the eye] which then leads to diminision of near vision. This is a natural physiological phenomenon, the crystaline lens in the eye becomes shorter and fatter when viewing near objects and longer and thinner when viewing objects far away. The diminision of this ability causes presbyopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Spherical: -3.25 (L), -2.50 (R),
Cylindrical: -3.00(L), - 3.25(R)

DocG can you advise (offline advise) whether my eyes is suitable for contact lenses or not?
The myopia in your case is easily correctable. However to treat your astigmatism, you require the use of Torric lenses. Sadly soft lenses can only correct an astigmatism of upto 2 Diopters. I would not recommend hard lenses or RGP lenses as they are not disposable and therefore hygene is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
It can be done, but why? Are you experiencing any trouble with day to day activities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Does Lasik correct for presbyopia as well as myopia?
For the benefit of all,
LASIK can be performed to correct Myopia (Short Sightedness), Hyperopia (Long Sightedness), Astigmatism (Cylindrical power) and Presbyopia (Age related diminision of near sight)

However different variations of LASIK are performed for each of these refractive errors

As always, feel free to ask questions, and I'll try my best to answer them as and when time permits..it's 3:30 AM now...ahhhh have to be up again at 7...such is life in this profession

cheers:
DocG

Last edited by DocG : 25th August 2008 at 03:36.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:25   #60
BHPian

Sam,

Thanks a lot man! We've been thinking of getting this done for my wife, and, I really appreciate the time you've taken to pen down your experience.

Cheers,
Su-47

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks