Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 11:30   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
For the benefit of all,
LASIK can be performed to correct Myopia (Short Sightedness), Hyperopia (Long Sightedness), Astigmatism (Cylindrical power) and Presbyopia (Age related diminision of near sight)

However different variations of LASIK are performed for each of these refractive errors
Thanks Doc,
What if you got a bit of Myopia and a bit of Prebyopia? Actually I feel awkward asking you all these questions. I should ask my opthal no?
Old 25th August 2008, 12:26   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Sam,

Thanks a lot man! We've been thinking of getting this done for my wife, and, I really appreciate the time you've taken to pen down your experience.

Cheers,
Su-47
You are very welcome. If I can offer any more assistance out of my experience - you or your wife can feel free to email me anytime
My first name @Team-BHP.com
Old 25th August 2008, 12:34   #63
BHPian

My wife also suffers from high myopia, about -22 on each eyes. Not many doctors has agreed to do a LASIK for her; they say it cannot be corrected beyond certain point. Still waiting for some good options. I think she requires Phakic IOL implant rather than laser correction.

Last edited by appuchan : 25th August 2008 at 12:37.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:41   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
My wife also suffers from high myopia, about -22 on each eyes. Not many doctors has agreed to do a LASIK for her; they say it cannot be corrected beyond certain point. Still waiting for some good options. I think she requires Phakic IOL implant rather than laser correction.
I agree. I do not think a seriously high number like that can be fixed by LASIK.
-22 is really a lot. Has she always had such a high number?
Old 25th August 2008, 12:50   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Cost

A lot of you have messaged me asking me the cost of the procedure that I went through. In May 2005 I paid a little less than Rs.40,000/- for the entire procedure (Both eyes) and the follow-up medicines were fairly inexpensive.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:57   #66
Senior - BHPian

@ appuchan ..
what will be the approximate cost of IOL implant?

BIT OFF TOPIC...
Is there any other way to reduce eyesight number?

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th August 2008 at 19:00.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:59   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
-3.5 in my right eye and around 8 in my left. infact i dont remember how much it is in my left . since it cant be corrected with glasses, doc advised me to use same power as in right eye...... problem was with some nerves. and i was told that this cannot be corrected due to this. Any idea on this? Has anyone heard/ experienced similar problem that was treated succesfuly?
Hi buddy, I hope you have seen what I have posted few pages back. I feel like we both have very similar issues. My left has -3.25 and right has -13 or more. I doubt if I can be subjected to Lasik since the difference is so much. I always felt (after few consulations with some opthalmologists over the years) that my issue is vein/nerve related. If you find any commentable place or doctor, please let me also know.

Quote:
My wife also suffers from high myopia, about -22 on each eyes. I think she requires Phakic IOL implant rather than laser correction.
That figure -22 is something I havent heard of. My right eye has -13 or more and I was thinking there would not be anyone else with higher powers. I am wrong. I am very curious to know if both eyes are of -22 how is the vision corrected at present ? The word Phakic IOL also is new word for me. I am searching for more infos.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:09   #68
BHPian

Well, for me also it was a big shock when I knew that her power is -22. She is "almost blind" without glasses and can see only very faint blurs. She has normal spectacles and contact lenses. Spectacles are too thick and heavy and almost unusable in most cases. She wears contact lenses and it seems to give her fairly good vision. Her vision is in that range since she was about 15 yrs old.

I took her to many doctors and most say that LASIK may only help to reduce the power to somewhere around -10 or so. And then she have to continue wear glasses, even though comparatively thinner. I dont feel its a good idea, with a poor risk-reward ratio. Other option is to completely replace the lens, an operation similar to cataract surgery. This is called phakic IOL. This again has higher risk and if some issues such as rejection happens, it could be quite problematic. She enjoys her job as a school teacher and doesnt want to risk it as well. However we are still on the lookout for better options.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:22   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hi buddy, I hope you have seen what I have posted few pages back. I feel like we both have very similar issues. My left has -3.25 and right has -13 or more. I doubt if I can be subjected to Lasik since the difference is so much. I always felt (after few consulations with some opthalmologists over the years) that my issue is vein/nerve related. If you find any commentable place or doctor, please let me also know.
i dont think -13 can be subject to LASIK. Are you sure its an issue with nerve?please confirm it. May be its a different thing. Backseatdriver suggested trying out ayurveda. im planning to consult someone during my next visit home. Will update you regarding this.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

That figure -22 is something I havent heard of. My right eye has -13 or more and I was thinking there would not be anyone else with higher powers. I am wrong. I am very curious to know if both eyes are of -22 how is the vision corrected at present ? The word Phakic IOL also is new word for me. I am searching for more infos.
do we get Lens for such high power also?
what make are those lens?
Old 25th August 2008, 18:46   #71
BHPian

@sam
thanks for the price quote, just want to know that what you underwent was normal lasik or Custom LASIK? im specifically interested in the price difference and/or advantages between these two.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She has normal spectacles and contact lenses. Spectacles are too thick and heavy and almost unusable in most cases. She wears contact lenses and it seems to give her fairly good vision.
Thats a surprise information for me, that spects or contact lenses are available for such high powers. My doctor suggested me to ignore my right eye that has -13 power and he assumed that right eye would be the same power since childhood. So I am using -3.25 for both eyes, just to keep my left eye vision alrite and not to cause any synchronisation issue with the right eye (I tested using -3.25 for left and -10 for right, but had terrible issue of both eyes getting focused without co-ordination).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
i dont think -13 can be subject to LASIK. Are you sure its an issue with nerve?Backseatdriver suggested trying out ayurveda. im planning to consult someone during my next visit home. Will update you regarding this.
My first visit to a doctor back in 1991, I had an expert feedback that my right eye (-13) had to be ignored because it could not be corrected through spects. He had suggested a nerve/vein detailed check-up later, but I ignored it as I got my normal vision for left eye that was just -1.25 that time. Now it has reached -3.25 in 17 years. But my right eye which was -13 that time remains almost at the same power even after 17 years. Means its not decreasing nor increasing over the years. Thats my assumption that its not retina issue but nerve.

Ayurveda has very powerful treatments for any extreme situations. I have a very famous (among americans and europeans) ayurveda eye speciality clinic in my howetown back in Kerala, which I didnt realise till 2007. I heard about this clinic from someone in Muscat who got cleared of his extreme eye powers through a 1 month fully admited ayurveda treatment which costed above 2 laks. Results are very positive there but the costs are not affordable by many indian standards. Therefore that place is 95% occupied by foreigners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
do we get Lens for such high power also? what make are those lens?
I think that question is to appuchan.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:13   #73
BHPian

My Lasik Experience

Hi all,

Well done Sam..
you have explained the process in extreme detail, so i need not do that..
I went through the similiar process..but the enquiry part was less..I did all my research on the net.
I started wearing glasses from age of 8..got the surgery done in 2007 at 27..

Anyways i got the surgery done, i had -5 and -6 on left and right eye respectively. after the surgery i have the clearest vision in daytime.
it is 20-20 vision now..whatever that means.

At night i had the halo vision for some 15 days then it cleared to great extent. But i still the have that scattered light effect at night..the type when light hits a water drop. i don't know how else to explain it..
Now this discourages me from night driving, but a good thing as i am most alert while driving and some more when drunk..
I must emphasize that night vision only bothers me sometimes but its fine most of the time..
maybe its more in my mind then in actuality..

One VERY IMPORTANT THING which i guess very few people know or have been told..The flap never actually heals. once it is cut it stays that way all your life..and it can come off in some cases..you know hard rubbing, get hit in the eye..
This information is not to scare anyone but i feel everybody should know this.
earlier i had some doubts and was apprehensive as i had read the information after the surgery..but guess what i have rubbed my eyes vigioursly a few times but the flap seems to stay..so i guess you need to rub it quite hard to dislocate it..but what i have read people have had that sort of experience..

I have seen a few ads nowdays where they claim to do the surgery without any cut..don't know how it works..but if anyone knows or has had one kindly let me know..i want my younger brother to have lasik so if this new surgery is good i'll ask him to have that otherwise the one which i had.

btw I paid 21000/- in hissar, haryana in October 2007. i might have got some discount as my father in law is doctor and the doc who operated was his friend.

ZeRo

Hey sam i had met you in audio-video expo in 2004 or 2005, when they had this fiat palio with JBL sepakers on display in delhi, Hotel Ashoka.
I came around to see JBL demo in one of the rooms and quite remember the thing you said about about JBL"We have speaker ranging from 4 thousand to 40 lakhs"..just to make sure i heard correct i reconfirmed with one of your team member..but you tell did i hear it right or did you mean some component instead of speakers...
when i first joined Team-Bhp..i saw this guy Sam being worshipped..i googled your name to check if could find any pic and saw the same guy with that weird hair style whom i had met in that expo.. Do you still have the same hair style?

btw i have bought JBL comps and three ways for my fiesta which i toppled recently..do they have any area where the survivours can post their experiences... as for me seatbelts saved me and my wife..

THE ACCIDENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY EYESIGHT OR LASIK , The car went out of control after i hit a pothole on national highway on a wet rainy night...
Old 25th August 2008, 19:37   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Results are very positive there but the costs are not affordable by many indian standards. Therefore that place is 95% occupied by foreigners.
There are multiple choices. One option. There are plenty of nameless (in sense of not having a branded presence) ayurvedic physicians around. You hire a home near them, and go them when time for treatment is due. You will still spend a 5 figure amount starting with 1 or 2 for a 2-3 week course.

Option 2. You meet a physician, decide on the treatment and medicines required, and get somebody knowing ayurvedic treatment (preferably "Compounders" or nurses retired from govt. ayurvedic hospitals) to actually administer the treatment.

Option 3. Go to a govt. ayurveda hospital in Kerala.

Option 4. Scout around for affordable private hospitals. Like ayurvedic medical college hospitals.

Remember though that going in for ayurvedic treatment is a big drain on the physique. You HAVE to take rest for same number of days as the duration of treatment. (Eg. 21 days rest for a course of 21 days). And keep a strict diet - no non veg, no eggs, no oil, no curd, no yogurt, no red chillies, no hot masala, no physical exertion, no going out in the sun (your eyes will hurt anyway). Some doctors will say "I do not insist on diet control"; but that is more out of "some treatmetn is better than no treatment at all" attitude.

As for alternatives to lasik - there is something called radial keratotomy. It involves making holes in the eye balls, and the eye balls will collapse along those holes, correcting short sight. Makes the eye balls mechanically weaker though. (Eg. army does not accept people who have undergone such surgery). And there is one more procedure. Forgot what it was all about. (carving the eye's surface?) This 2nd procedure was very, very quickly replaced by LASIK. As per my understanding, lasik is most safe among all.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Info on Ayurveda way !

I just called up my uncle and got the details of the place I mentioned in my above post. The reason for posting this info is not 'praising my home town' (where I was born and brought up till age 15). I heard about this clinic while working in Muscat (2001 to 2005) from a person whose eye issue (gradual losing of total sight) was given up by most famous eye hospitals in the US and UK. He spent 35 days in this ayurveda clinic and got a 100% recovery, like many other 1000s of cases of 100% healing. Its now a 200 bed eye research centre with consultations conducted in many Indian cities.

Instead of explaining about the place, here is the website link which will help you .::. Welcome to Sreedhareeyam .::.

The issues that are treated here in brief:
Diabetic Retinopathy
Retinitis Pigmentosa
Macular Degeneration
Glaucoma
Detachment of Retina or Retinal Detachment
Kerato Conus
Myopic Degeneration
Hyperaemia Retinae
Retinitis Simplex
Dazzling of Retina
Retinitis Leukaemia
Retinitis Haemorrhagia
Retinitis Apoplastice
Retinitis Syphilitica
Anaemia of Retinae
Embolus of the Centralise Retina
Hyperaesthesia of Retina
Commotio Retinae
Myopic Degeneration
Glioma of Retinae
and many more unknown eye disorders.

If I can spare 30/40 days totally cut off from the world, this is my way to go. And I believe it will be a permanent correction without regrets or side-effects. Hope this info helps atleast someone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks