Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 4th October 2020, 18:50   #166
AZT
BHPian

Default Re: The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
There are articles against Indians posted on government owned forums daily, and these use language that would be barred in any other country.
There are rental ads specifying No Indians Allowed in Singapore and this was published quite widely in the last few years. My friend faced the same even today. The discrimination is real.
We have such extremist forums in India too, I wouldn't judge an entire country on the basis of those even if the govt supports such people.

As for the housing discrimination, it happens in Mumbai too and is pretty much an open secret. I understand people from the North East also have go through a lot of hoops to get housing. I'm not trying to undermine what your friend is going through, just pointing out a lot of this rhetoric is a global problem.

We've recently had a lot of Anti-china rhetoric from our side and those people aren't blind, they see what we post Lol. So this could partly be a backlash for that.
AZT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 08:44   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
As for Singapore, the local situation is quite bad. There are articles against Indians posted on government owned forums daily, and these use language that would be barred in any other country. Hardwarezone is an example.
A recent survey says otherwise.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ds-them-survey

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2020 at 08:50.
Old 20th November 2020, 02:29   #168
Senior - BHPian

Question.

Someone I know is a liberal arts grad (graduated 2020, from say a Christ / FLAME league college)

They got an admit into (and are attending) KEDGE (https://kedge.edu/) in Marseille.

Just wanted to know. What is the job outlook for liberal arts grads in 2020, especially from random French B-Schools?
Old 20th November 2020, 11:43   #169
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Just wanted to know. What is the job outlook for liberal arts grads in 2020, especially from random French B-Schools?
I've seen a lot of fresh grads taking up roles different from what they studied so as long as your friend is open for that, it should be the same as any other random college.
Old 20th November 2020, 17:02   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I've seen a lot of fresh grads taking up roles different from what they studied so as long as your friend is open for that, it should be the same as any other random college.
Okay, adding to that.

Friends of mine are getting seats in Narsee (SBM).

Their POV is that they simply wanna move to Bombay, and stay there.

My question: These dudes have barely interned anywhere, and are making the jump to MBA straight out of Engineering (Mechanical).

What is their employability as a Product Manger in say, Google or someplace?

Can they realisitically draw salaries above 20-25 LPA?
Old 20th November 2020, 17:17   #171
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, adding to that.

My question: These dudes have barely interned anywhere, and are making the jump to MBA straight out of Engineering (Mechanical).

There is no answer for this. Simple advice for early career people would be don't fixate on a location and be open to move wherever you get the best opportunity. After 2 years you can move where you want.

The salary figure sounds unrealistic. Even companies which hire purely from ISB / IIM would not offer that, I have a close friend who passed out from ISB 4 years ago and he was a CA with prior 3 years Big 4 Work ex. There may be exceptions but in general those figures are wrong. Again, the job market being as it is no one can predict what things would like when they graduate. I would ignore all salary figures and join a college purely based on ranking.
Old 20th November 2020, 17:18   #172
BHPian

Quote:

Post covid world is going to be drastically different. Even at top IIMs the salaries have stagnated in the recent past. For every McKinsey or BCG consultant or top FMCG company manager (ITC, HUL, Nestle etc) recruited, you have many more going to traditional industries where a general manager with 10+ years of experience getting that salary.

As for your question about the French university, it would be tough to get a job there. Most masters courses except in technical fields don't lead to jobs these days.

Off topic but recently someone told me about a recent aeronautical engineering MS from UT Austin getting less than 50k salary in Mumbai. She'd probably take 5 or 6 years just to clear off the loan. People return because job offers don't materialize in fields other than digital technology or in very rare occasions strategy consulting. PhDs have it slightly better but even they are struggling because post doc offers are being cancelled. Very tough times.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 20th November 2020 at 17:22.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 18:31   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Writing as an employer - these are first step qualifications. They only signify you have completed your basic grad+ post grad education. You are still a greenhorn with some IQ but almost no experience of the practical world.
Quote:
I am not from the IT industry but I very seriously doubt it. What experience or knowledge does a fresher bring?
Quote:
Can they realistically draw salaries above 20-25 LPA?
In India no. They only place, in India, the can get such salaries (grossly over rated in my personal opinion) is McKinsey as they recruit for their global pool regardless of where they post you.

Salary paid to an employee, in India, and I'm sure elsewhere too, is a function of the value the role adds to the company directly or indirectly and of course demand & supply for the specialization. It isn't a function of what the education cost the candidate.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 20:08   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Narsee has a placement report published on their website here.

The CTC that is published here can be misleading at times - depends on how the components are split. Plus with the pandemic, not sure if all these offers actually converted.

Also, the question should be what the interviewee brings to Google for them to pay whatever they pay to this friend rather than people with more experience from the same batch.
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:58   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, adding to that.

I had PM'ed you regarding this hope you got it.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:42   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Zero.

PM is one of the most highly sought after roles right now. You will need a few years of high-pressure tech experience as well as basic product experience - APM or similar - to hit a PM role at a decent company, let alone FANG.

Most Viewed