Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 14:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

Actually GTO is an authority on this topic, do contact him.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I guess you shouldn't target any. Be open to work anywhere. Chances are that you might land up back in Asia-pac. Having said that, there is a H1B reservation for folks graduating from US.
Thanks. It is actually a bit difficult analyzing all the good bschools, takes a lot of time but I guess I'll write my GMAT first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
It is always good to be an early bird. As you might know, first round deadlines for 2009 fall should be really close. Writing essays, getting those reviewd, getting reccos- all are going to take time. You better take professional help in those.
Very true. Ill try to get these done in parallel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually GTO is an authority on this topic, do contact him.
PMed him. Thanks.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
How does one earn points? Can you please direct me to more info on this?

Do you refer to the FT rankings or is there another reliable source of information?
Canadian Immigration and Visas | Canadian Immigration Points Calculator
HSMP Points Calculator

keep i mind that this system keeps changing, AFAIK, HSMP is soon going to be replaced with a different system.

I use FT, I do not take numbers at absolute value because there are a lot of loopholes in there. but they are good for relative ranking of schools.

Also check skoolix.com for a quick research. I think it's only for US schools.
Old 26th August 2008, 13:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Canadian Immigration and Visas | Canadian Immigration Points Calculator
HSMP Points Calculator

keep i mind that this system keeps changing, AFAIK, HSMP is soon going to be replaced with a different system.

I use FT, I do not take numbers at absolute value because there are a lot of loopholes in there. but they are good for relative ranking of schools.

Also check skoolix.com for a quick research. I think it's only for US schools.
Thanks Vivek, useful info there. Yup, skoolix is only for US schools.

Any more inputs, guys?
Old 16th September 2008, 14:15   #20
BHPian

Do you think it is a good time to pursue an MBA from the UK, given that the world's economy is slowing down? I plan to join next Sept.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking forward to a job offer from Lehman brothers and their ilk (i.e. investment banking), I suggest you slow down as well.

Otherwise, go right ahead. There are other sectors which have a healthy demand for MBA's.
Old 16th September 2008, 16:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
If you are looking forward to a job offer from Lehman brothers and their ilk (i.e. investment banking), I suggest you slow down as well.

Otherwise, go right ahead. There are other sectors which have a healthy demand for MBA's.
Good one.

I don't want have anything to do with investment banking. Looking at marketing, and operations as my area of specialization. Which is a good b-school in the UK for operations? Any idea?
Old 16th September 2008, 19:57   #23
BHPian

After graduating from UK, one can get IGS visa, which is a graduate visa which allows you to stay in the country and work. But you should convert IGS into another scheme called HSMP once you find a job.

There are some regulations on how much money you should earn in the job to retain your HSMP.
Old 16th September 2008, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
After graduating from UK, one can get IGS visa, which is a graduate visa which allows you to stay in the country and work. But you should convert IGS into another scheme called HSMP once you find a job.

There are some regulations on how much money you should earn in the job to retain your HSMP.
Yup, that's what I heard too. There is a points calculator where if you get the 75 points needed, you can work there for 2 years. Working there for atleast a year is required to offset my study expenses I guess.

However, will join only if I get a *very* good bschool, am more than prepared to wait for a year (or 2) to get into a good bschool.
Old 17th September 2008, 00:05   #25
BHPian

The situation in the US looks VERY bleak. Not sure if this is the right time for an MBA!!
Old 17th September 2008, 12:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at marketing, and operations as my area of specialization. Which is a good b-school in the UK for operations? Any idea?
I remember Cranfield having some specialization in Marketing and Supply chain Strategy.

If you are looking at pure Supply Chain Management, MIT has a 10 month program.

Quote:
The situation in the US looks VERY bleak. Not sure if this is the right time for an MBA!!
On am optimistic forecast, you should be riding into a reviving global economy 2 years down the lane.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
In addition to what WhiteKnight has suggested, this is actually a nice time to go study (as lots of people from all over the world are doing), especially if your current industry has been directly affected by the economy slowdown.

Or you may just play it safe and wait another year like me!
Old 17th September 2008, 19:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
In addition to what WhiteKnight has suggested, this is actually a nice time to go study (as lots of people from all over the world are doing), especially if your current industry has been directly affected by the economy slowdown.

Or you may just play it safe and wait another year like me!
Yup, but the economic downturn also means that the applicant pool this time is going to be much larger and more competitive. Expect a lot of laid off i-bankers to be aplying to B schools now.
Old 21st September 2008, 12:40   #29
BHPian

Although I'm no expert on Business Schools (being an Engineer), I can certainly shed some light on the education and immigration scenario in Canada.

As far as I've heard, Schulich (York U), Rotman (U of Toronto) and Alberta's B School are considered top notch in North America. I don't know how much you need to score in your whatever exam to get into these, but the general consensus is that score really high and get ready to pay steep tuition fees (esp. for international students).

The immigration system was recently simplified in Canada, with outsiders getting work permits equal to or slightly lesser than the duration of their study terms.

The Permanent Residence system is points based as mentioned before and is not so hard, but you need to stay here and work for a good 3-4 years before you can become a Permanent Resident (equivalent of a US Green Card).
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Although I'm no expert on Business Schools (being an Engineer), I can certainly shed some light on the education and immigration scenario in Canada.

As far as I've heard, Schulich (York U), Rotman (U of Toronto) and Alberta's B School are considered top notch in North America. I don't know how much you need to score in your whatever exam to get into these, but the general consensus is that score really high and get ready to pay steep tuition fees (esp. for international students).

The immigration system was recently simplified in Canada, with outsiders getting work permits equal to or slightly lesser than the duration of their study terms.

The Permanent Residence system is points based as mentioned before and is not so hard, but you need to stay here and work for a good 3-4 years before you can become a Permanent Resident (equivalent of a US Green Card).
Thanks sujaylahiri. And yes, the fees are very very very steep.

Approx: 70000 USD without stay\food\travel\other expenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks