Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 03:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

after almost two years of starting preparation, accepting HEC montreal's admit, getting canadian visa and then declining it, and going through various other options, finally I have decided to pursue part time MBA (weekend classes) in purdue university (Krannert school of business). I will be starting this January.

This may also change my plan of a second car as I was discussing on the "what car in US" thread. I have calculated almost 30,000 miles I will be driving to get this course done.

Now only hurdle left is maintaining my work, visa and current location for next 3 years.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:36   #62
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. I am planning to take up GMAT in a couple of months and have been putting fair amount (read 2-3 hours a day) on preparation. My question to all foreign MBA experts, would you advise against a winter admit? If yes, kindly state the reasons as well. Also, are there other BHPians who intend to take up GMAT in the near future?
Old 24th February 2010, 21:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

depends on the school choice. Usually winter MBAs are for executive, part time or other non traditional courses, and recruitment is very slow since not many are in the program for new jobs. If you want a new job, better to go in the regular sessions.
Old 24th February 2010, 23:49   #64
BHPian

Thanks Vivek. Would it be that bad? The problem is that, I would have to wait another year and half as most of the deadlines for this fall intake are over :(.
Old 25th February 2010, 00:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

only a few months. applications open in may-july and start closing in oct. You have better chances if you apply in the first round. And you said you haven't taken GMAT yet. by the time you do, it will be time to apply for those.
Old 25th February 2010, 00:10   #66
BHPian

Completely agree with vivek. Join the regular sessions.
Old 12th April 2010, 02:10   #67
BHPian

MBA abroad: Help Me to choose.......

Hi guys, i am about to finish my B.E in mechanical and i am an average student .i am planning to do an MBA or (any other good management course like industrial management) abroad, anyway after the course and some 2-3 years of work experience , i have to join my family business(industry)... but i am in dilemma where to it , US, UK , Aus or any other European nations... also i heard many universities need work experience for MBA course.. so please some universities which doesn't imply that....
Old 12th April 2010, 10:28   #68
BHPian

If you need to do MBA without GMAT or any exam then you can go to any university all are good but if you are seriously looking for a good one then you must have to appear in GMAT and admission will depend on your score.

IMHO you should consider giving GMAT and then apply for universities as schools accepting admissions without GMAT scores are not excellent and exceptional. Else this will be your decision go ahead and take admission without GMAT all schools are of same level.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:16   #69
BHPian

How good is an MBA from Oz?
Old 12th April 2010, 14:03   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Work experience is needed for an MBA, if a university accepts you without work exp then I'd doubt it's credibility. IMO, an MBA without work experience is pointless.

MBA is not like your typical undergrad degree, it is very discussion based rather than book-ish. Hence if you don't have min 2-3 years of working experience you will not have anything to bring to the table of discussion, nor will you be able to relate to the matters being discussed.

I just about to begin my MBA process, I plan to go Fall 2011. Infact, will be going for my first GMAT tutor class tomorrow. I did my undergrad from USA and been working in my family business since June 2007. Hence by the time I go to grad school I would have 4 years work experience.

FYI- I have a friend that got a 720 on his GMAT and with less than a year of work ex, he got rejected from almost all schools inspite of having a good GMAT score.
So the GMAT is important but it's not the only deciding factor.

Food for thought: HBS(Harvard) has GMAT scores ranging from as low as early 500s !

My advice: Work for atleast 2-3 years and then do your MBA or if you are in a rush get a Masters degree, you don't need work experience for that.

Last edited by Sahil : 12th April 2010 at 14:08.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Food for thought: HBS(Harvard) has GMAT scores ranging from as low as early 500s !
An addition to that, the average work ex ranges around 7-8 years. And the average age of the class hovers around 29.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:18   #72
BHPian

Hi there,

One of the factors that may influence a student's decision would be the possibility of obtaining a post study residency / work visa. Quite often when a student studies abroad and builds contacts, friends etc he/she may wish to stay longer and be able to work in that particular country. If the qualification would give you a further stay permit or permanent residency option, that may be an added advantage. However, choosing a university or course solely to get immigration benefits would be a strict no no. If post study work interests you then read on:

United Kingdom
If you choose to study in the UK, select an institute that is registered in the DIUS and has a license to sponsor students under the Tier-4 scheme. Once you complete your studies, you may be eligible for a 2 year post study work visa that allows you to work full time. For further information on a post study work UK visa:

UK Border Agency | Post-study workers

Australia
If you graduate from an Australian University, you may be eligible for a Skilled Graduate Visa which could lead to a Permanent Residence visa and eventually Australian citizenship. If your skills are in demand when you graduate, you could directly apply for a Permanent Residence visa. For Further info:

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

Canada
Citizenship and Immigration canada(CIC) has a range of visa options for foreign students. Most of these lead to Canadian Permanent Residence and eventually Citizenship. Further info:

Canadian Experience Class

There are many other countries such as Denmark, New Zealand and Singapore that have similar options. If you need specific advice, feel free to PM. Though your primary goal is not migration but if you choose a course that gives you the option of staying further after your studies, that would be additional value.

cheers.

ps: This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 12th April 2010 at 14:22.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:04   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
An addition to that, the average work ex ranges around 7-8 years. And the average age of the class hovers around 29.
Those averages have been coming down greatly, year on year.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Its advisable to go by FT rankings and the accreditions.And yeah ,I would stay from any school that is ready to accept you without a GMAT score !!

Some top B-schools require you to have atleast 3 years of managerial exp .Your essays are also as important as your GMAT scores.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:48   #75
BHPian

Guys I am in my pre-final year of engineering (Electronics and Communication). I plan to do a MBA from the States after 3-4 years of work ex. So I have a few queries.
1. How important are the marks I scored in my graduation for the admission process?
2. What type of extra curricular activities are recommended?
3. Are there any other things apart from GMAT scores, LORs and PI and the above that will help me improve my file?
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks