Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 04:36   #76
BHPian

Does anybody have any info about MBA courses in Australia? I see Melbourne Business School (MBS) and Australian Business School on the FT MBA rankings.
I want to know how good are these courses and their acceptance world wide. Would it be regarded highly in India as well or do they have very limited reach?
I will be taking GMAT again sometime during the end of this year or early next year and want to short list school
Any info will be welcome!
Old 18th June 2010, 06:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Does anybody have any info about MBA courses in Australia? I see Melbourne Business School (MBS) and Australian Business School on the FT MBA rankings.
I want to know how good are these courses and their acceptance world wide. Would it be regarded highly in India as well or do they have very limited reach?
I will be taking GMAT again sometime during the end of this year or early next year and want to short list school
Any info will be welcome!
I don't a point studying in australia if you want to use it in India. Programs in India will be much more suitable for our businesses. If you are looking at global jobs (finance, IT etc where location doesn't matter much), then any of the top ranking programs will work.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:31   #78
BHPian

MBA Query.

I am planning to do my mba in the next 1 or 2 years. Over the long term i see myself settling down and working in south India(preferably kerala) or atleast around India. Right now my profile is 6 years of work ex. 2.5 in Bangalore Infy, 3 years in a large US bank at their office on behalf of infy, last 5 months in Chennai leading a team of around 12 people. My acads for Btech is nothing great (around 73%). I should be able to get some recommendations from my managers in infy/clients in BOFA/Former btech staff etc. I have an excellent record in infy till now in terms of ratings/feedbacks till now.Considering all this can you guys suggest some schools where i can try. I am confident of getting a high score (95 percentile and up) in both GMAT or CAT as and when required.

Is my profile good enough for top schools like Harvard/Kellogg's?

Which is best bschool i can try for in india?

1 year MBA vs 2 year MBA?

Is ISB a good choice considering that it's a 1 years course?

Is there a necessity to make my resume more substantial in terms of some NGO/social work experience for MBA?

Are the course materials similar in most of the bschools or are there wide disparities in what the different schools follow?

Answers to any of these questions will be highly appreciated.
Old 18th June 2010, 22:37   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I don't a point studying in australia if you want to use it in India. Programs in India will be much more suitable for our businesses. If you are looking at global jobs (finance, IT etc where location doesn't matter much), then any of the top ranking programs will work.
Hey Vivek, Thanks for the answer. In the immediate short term, i don't intent to come back to India. In the long term, i intend to come back and settle down in India.

Just wanted to know how good those schools are. I know US is No1 and UK is No2. Where does Oz figure in that picture?
Old 19th June 2010, 00:19   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Is my profile good enough for top schools like Harvard/Kellogg's?
The best way to know this is start talking to the admission committee in each school you are interested in. Most of them have their own culture and character and suit a specific purpose. Write their essays and fill applications (don't need to pay till you have completed it). This will give you a lot of insight into your own strengths, weaknesses, peer groups etc. Most of them have a career goal essay and that itself will help you understand what you want from life after MBA.

direct answer, thousands of candidates apply in these schools and your direct competition is with people in your own profile. You will succeed if you can differentiate yourself among other folks with similar background. More people from your background, more competition. e.g. A doctor from france is not at all your competitor for admission in harvard.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Hey Vivek, Thanks for the answer. In the immediate short term, i don't intent to come back to India. In the long term, i intend to come back and settle down in India.

Just wanted to know how good those schools are. I know US is No1 and UK is No2. Where does Oz figure in that picture?
Any more views on Oz B schools?
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:03   #82
BHPian

I'm looking to join one of the school by late 2012 (yeah, I know it's too far, but I'm not yet ready to take a full year long break). I just wanted to be sure that I do want to be a part of management circus but which field, I would like to be absolutely sure about it and I'm not quite ready for it right now (Okay, I do like Finance).

Shortlisted are US-based schools and ESC Rennes School of Business, France. I'm not interested in moving to UK on long term, so ESC seems like a very good option for the cost of course and living expenses, not to mention, living in a fantastic country for a year.

So has anyone applied there, or know a pass-out of that school. I'm looking for a long term stay in Either US or Europe (Not UK). So would like to know if ESC Rennes is a good choice.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:21   #83
BHPian

Help

I am a B.Tech(IT) holder with close to 5 years of work-ex in IT Hardware/Software/Services Sales in different MNCs in Bangalore. I have few queries here:

1. I want to start with GMAT classes ASAP, Which are the best GMAT coaching Institutes in Bangalore?

2. Considering 3 months of preparation for GMAT, appearing for GMAT exam, Applying in Universities, By what time (Approx month & year) can I kickoff my MBA class?

3. I am interested in doing 1 year MBA course in US, anybody with that background here?

4. I do not have much idea in selecting the specialization? seeking help form gurus around
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:41   #84
BHPian

MBA fair @ Mumbai, Delhi...

Hi guys, i have completed my BE mechanical in june 2010 and is in to my family business now.I am planning to do an MBA from UK/US/Aus. I dint write GMAT and my degree % is 55.

I have got the newsletter from pagalguy about the MBA Fair (http://www.topmba.com/mba-tour)to be held in Mumbai and new delhi. I am from kerala, now my query is whether it would be helpful for me if i travel to mumbai or delhi to attend the fair to choose the right university? or is the universities participating accept only students have high GPA, GMAT and work experience?

Please help me out...
Old 4th April 2011, 20:17   #85
BHPian

Re: MBA fair @ Mumbai, Delhi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
Hi guys, i have completed my BE mechanical in june 2010 and is in to my family business now.I am planning to do an MBA from UK/US/Aus. I dint write GMAT and my degree % is 55.

I have got the newsletter from pagalguy about the MBA Fair (http://www.topmba.com/mba-tour)to be held in Mumbai and new delhi. I am from kerala, now my query is whether it would be helpful for me if i travel to mumbai or delhi to attend the fair to choose the right university? or is the universities participating accept only students have high GPA, GMAT and work experience?

Please help me out...

I feel that students/candidates who have high GPA or GMAT scores or who have a lot of work experience need not approach such "fairs". They can apply directly and have a good chance of being considered positively.

Its the students who have lower scores or who do not have satisfactory work experience who need to attend these "fairs" and get an audience with the course coordinators and impress them on a face-to-face basis for a chance to get into a B-School.

Prajwal
Old 4th April 2011, 21:56   #86
BHPian

re: The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Thanks for the reply and hope to get some good benefits from the fair..
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:19   #87
BHPian

Guys, does this certification like
  • AACSB - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
  • AMBA - The Association of MBAs
  • EQUIS - European Quality Improvement System
matters in choosing the university?
Old 10th May 2011, 19:39   #88
BHPian

Guys,

How good a institue is Asian Institute Of Management, Philpines? Is it worth a shot for someone with 5yrs of experience? Please provide whatever details you have regarding the institute. Thanks.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:53   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
Guys, does this certification like
  • AACSB - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
  • AMBA - The Association of MBAs
  • EQUIS - European Quality Improvement System
matters in choosing the university?
These accreditations are done on basis of set of parameters which a school should possess to have it. Basing the choice of schools on these accreditations is not a good idea, but knowing that the school you selected has these is a comforting feeling .
Old 19th May 2011, 10:31   #90
BHPian

Hi guys... i got offer letter from following universities in UK for MBA in general Management. I am Kind of confused which one to go for

1. Coventry University
2 UWIC
3 . robert gordon university
4. University of Bangor
5. University of Lincoln
6. Staffordshire University
7. Glasgow Caledonian University
8.Teesside University

Also applied for following to which the response is yet to come

1 .University of Aberdeen
2.Oxford Brookes

Please help me out to choose the right one.

Most Viewed