Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 12:34   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Well, to be just blunt here, Coventry Uni isnt very well ranked (its decent for Auto Engg perhaps) and neither does it exhude quality (if you get what I mean) considering Univ of Warwick is right there.
Well, I did consider Warwick for a moment but then, there are two issues -

1) GMAT is compulsory (I dont plan to give GMAT, not a big issue though)
2) Tution fees is approx Rs. 25 Lacs, which is way out of my budget

I am taking an education loan & cant afford a loan of 25 Lacs.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:45   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

I am taking an education loan & cant afford a loan of 25 Lacs.
True, Warwick is expensive, especially the MBA.

Please do check out more about Coventry Uni before you take my word for(/against) it
Old 31st March 2012, 17:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I have shortlisted some universities based on the rankings & my budget -

Coventry
Bangor
Northumbria
Sheffield
Brunel
Leicester
Exeter
Glasgow
Nottingham
Burmingham
Buckingham
King's College
Newcastle
Cardiff

Please help me select a few universities among the above to apply. I still really prefer Coventry and I am aware that their ranking is really low.

Though I am an automobile engineer, for some reason, I dont wish to do MSC in automotive engg. from Coventry.

Coventry has another course called "Engineering Management". The qualification would be MBA though. Is this worth a shot over "General MBA"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Also, I suggest you visit Edwise consultants
Thank you buddy. I visited their Thane branch & they were indeed helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Please do check out more about Coventry Uni before you take my word for(/against) it
Hmm, I did check out with my friends who are studying there & their reviews have been very positive. But they are studying MSc. None of them are doing MBA there.
Old 31st March 2012, 18:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

One way to check out the quality and scope is to look at FT global rankings of the university and then taking the plunge. The rankings are decently exhaustive and do look at areas like how diverse is the class and what is the average experience of the class like. Like Vivek suggested a few posts above is to look for the mix.

As far as my research goes, recruiters look at these rankings and the ones passing out of these schools are given higher preference. Dont have personal experience to quote, as i am yet to enroll.

Not sure if this has been posted earlier, but here is the link.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...-rankings-2012

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 31st March 2012 at 18:12.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:36   #110
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking to enroll for the 1 year e-PGP from IIMB. Has anybody heard about this program/have any feedback? The comparable PGPx from IIMA has an FT ranking of 11.

This is a 1 year full time mba programme for experienced folks. The program claims to be highly selective and has an average GMAt of 700 odd. My GMAT is a balanced 740.

The course fee + opportunity cost for the above program is around 40 lakhs.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 4th December 2012 at 16:59.
Old 19th December 2012, 18:53   #111
BHPian

1 Year Full Time "Executive" MBA

Starting a topic that would be of interest to mid-career professionals who are looking for an MBA.

One question could be, why am i posting this here and not a forum like pagalguy. The short answer is that Team-bhp userbase is probably the best and most informed and diverse userbase that i can think of. I am primarily looking for feedback/thoughts from a mature audience who occupy middle/senior/top management positions in diverse sectors.

This discussion/question is primarily about the 1 year full time programs at IIM A/B/C and ISB and their usefulness to mid career professionals (people who have more than 6-7 years of experience).

Some of the specific courses are EPGP at IIMB, PGPX at IIMA and PGPEX at IIMC and PGP at ISB. These programs are sometimes referred to as Executive mbas but in the real sense of the term, executive mbas are part time. Hence i have put the executive in quotes.

All these programs claim to be highly selective and very intensive. Most of these have an average GMAT around 690-710 which is quite high(comparable to probably INSEAD or HARVARD purely on GMAT) and have a selection process which looks at all aspects of your personality . The placements are also supposed to be pretty decent.

However the course fee (20-25) + opportunity cost(11) + interest cost(6) for the above programs are around 45 lakhs for me.

I am interested in hearing general feedback on the utility of these programs to act as career accelerants. Like most, I want to get an overall business prespective from this MBA with key interest areas being strategy and marketing. E-commerce is my interest/domain currently and i hope to continue in this area in a consulting/sales role after my mba.

From those of you in senior management/top management/middle management i would like to know how you view people who have done such 1 year programs(basically the industry recognition of these programs and if you have peers from such programs).

People have told me that you should do your mba early. From my perspective, when i started my career i liked technology and never thought of doing an mba. However over a period of time i have realized that technology has mostly an operational role in a business and if you want to influence strategy/functional decisions you need to have a holistic business prespective. Hence the mid career mba for me.

I am most interested in IIMB's EPGP because of location/personal reasons.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Mods - There are other threads like Foreign MBA/interactive distance learning/MBA or not/ etc but couldn't find one which was good fit for this post.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 19th December 2012 at 19:06.
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:21   #112
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Hi folks, I have around 8.5 years of work ex in the IT industry, mostly related to software development(Siebel CRM to be specific). Currently working as technical lead, but it is increasingly becoming clear that the technology I'm working on, is at the fag end of its lifecycle, and I need to figure something out before it's too late. No intention of learning a new technology from scratch unless I run out of options, rather I'm more interested in getting into software consulting.

So now the plan is to try and pursue the one year full time Executive MBA from some reputed college in India. Then join my parent company back, since I can take an year off as leave without pay. Besides, leaving Chandigarh is no longer an option since my wife is well settled professionally over here.

I checked the programs of various IIM's, and to my shock found that executive MBA tuition and related costs will be close to 25 Lakhs! Needless to say, it's a hopeless scenario for me from an ROI perspective. I dont want to dig a 30L hole and then re join at the same package an year later (specially since I'm not doing this MBA for monetory factor but to get into consulting).

I'm at my wits end trying to figure a way around this. Some institutes like MDI Gurgaon have this program and the cost is around 11L which is bearable. Should I target these colleges? Is anyone aware of any other decent institutes I should target? Should I ditch the MBA idea for good and try for an internal role change? Any other advice?

Last edited by avisidhu : 3rd April 2013 at 15:26.
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:56   #113
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
...I'm at my wits end trying to figure a way around this. Some institutes like MDI Gurgaon have this program and the cost is around 11L which is bearable. Should I target these colleges? Is anyone aware of any other decent institutes I should target? Should I ditch the MBA idea for good and try for an internal role change? Any other advice?
Also look at XLRI's GMP program. Course fee is around 15L. http://www.xlri.ac.in/academic-prog/...iness/gmp.aspx

I would suggest that you figure out the kind of role that you are targeting post MBA and then check for a fit with the recruiters that typically visit the school that you zero in on.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 3rd April 2013 at 19:18.
Old 4th April 2013, 18:33   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Guys do let me know if Sikkim Manipal University is a good & trust worthy university to do MBA and if this MBA is acknowledged in MNC's.

Hope to get some replies on this thread.
Old 1st May 2013, 00:15   #115
BHPian

@avsidhu Some info about the 1 year full-time MBA at IIMB.

1. It's a rigorous program and you should take it up only if you are ready for the rigor.

2. Getting into IT consulting is fairly easy and you don't need an MBA for it. However an MBA will help you perform better in a variety of job profiles one of which is consulting.

3. Once you get into one of these programs, you come across a variety of profiles. some of which you had no idea existed. The diversity is good for eg we have a variety of people from sectors as diverse as defence, PSU, IT(Different functions), Infra, Automotive, Pharma manufacturing, food, retail , advertising, semiconductors, telecom, media etc . Expect 40% of your class to be from different functions in IT though.

4. The placements are quite good but it is also a factor of your prior experience. The top indian and US salaries will be in range of 1 C (indian salary) and 200+ k(US) $ respectively. The median would be around 25 lakhs at IIMA or IIMB.

5. if you are picky about location, chances of getting a great job decreases. The more flexible you are, more options you have.

6. Professors are in a different league and the learning environment/networking opportunities are quite good.

7. The program is quite selective and the current cohort at IIMB/IIMA will have about 12-13% selectivity. 600+ applications for 90 offers is the ball park figure. The exact figures are not revealed becomes of some policy of IIMB.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 1st May 2013 at 00:25.
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:33   #116
BHPian

Reviving this thread after a long time,

Guys,

I am planning to take my GMAT this year with the intention of joining MBA either in January or fall of next year. I was looking at the colleges in US when the fee structure jolted me. A simple calculation put the costs at upward of 65 lakhs in some reputed colleges only for the first year.

Is this always the case? Do people really spend around 1 crore for a MBA in US and if so, how do they afford it? Is UK a cheaper and possibly a better alternative?
Old 4th March 2014, 00:18   #117
BHPian

Yes, Even i found it too costly! Infact i enquired about "Online MBA course" from Berkeley University which costs 65000USD, which is around 40L!
Old 4th March 2014, 10:31   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post

Is this always the case? Do people really spend around 1 crore for a MBA in US and if so, how do they afford it? Is UK a cheaper and possibly a better alternative?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Yes, Even i found it too costly! Infact i enquired about "Online MBA course" from Berkeley University which costs 65000USD, which is around 40L!
Do not be surprised - whatever figures you have found are correct. An MBA from the top institutes in US will cost >80 lakhs. Even I wonder how does one pay for them - probably student loans but I have not seen anyone personally take a student loan of such a huge amount.
Old 4th March 2014, 12:04   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Do not be surprised - whatever figures you have found are correct. An MBA from the top institutes in US will cost >80 lakhs. Even I wonder how does one pay for them - probably student loans but I have not seen anyone personally take a student loan of such a huge amount.
Yeah. As far as I know no bank offers a student loan for 80 lacs without a collateral. Precisely the reason why I posted this question here.
Old 20th July 2015, 16:46   #120
BHPian

Guys,

I'm a typical IT bloke with more than 8 years of experience. In the pursuit of doing something purposeful in life and to expand my horizon, I thought of doing MBA and in the process I applied for a few colleges abroad.

Recently, I received an offer from University of Edinburgh, UK. The MBA costs, including stay, will set me back by about 35 Lakhs.

I just want to know, is University of Edinburgh, UK, worth it?

Most Viewed