Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 10:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys,

How good a institue is Asian Institute Of Management, Philpines? Is it worth a shot for someone with 5yrs of experience? Please provide whatever details you have regarding the institute. Thanks.
Not only worth a shot, you should try your level best to get into this , if you can. And probably Sales & marketing is a very strong domain here.
I think you can get enough details about the college on net. Amongst the leading colleges in the world.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:36   #92
BHPian

GMAT / MBA in Australia

Hi guys , I went through a few topics I could find on GMAT here. I am pretty clueless about all of this . One of my good friends gave me Barron's - its by Galgotia Publications. Im unhappy with the font and find myself becoming irritated and distracted by it when I try to study . Are there better publications ? I read about Kaplan here, any specific publications you guys recommend ? How much would they cost approximately ? I am located in Bangalore. I would like to meet and talk to someone who has done his MBA in Australia so I can get some sort of an idea about what its about. Any help on this front would be greatly appriciated. Thank You .

ps: hope ive posted in the right section

Last edited by aah78 : 26th June 2011 at 19:48. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thread merged with existing.
Old 26th June 2011, 19:25   #93
BHPian

Re: GMAT / MBA in Australia

Kaplan is good.The official guides are a must have. Check The Official GMAT Web Site for details of the books. You should also refer to the many forums for gmat like beatgmat, gmatclub.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 19:47   #94
BHPian

Re: GMAT / MBA in Australia

Barron is known more for GRE. Kaplan is great for GMAT. Plus online you will get lots of material on how to study and what to study. English is the most important thing in GMAT. BTW, are you looking to do MBA specifically from Australia? Is there any particular reason or are you open to other places too?
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 21:01   #95
BHPian

Thanks for the information: The reason for Australia are many that I been given to believe/ or have imagined, that might not be entirely true. I have been given to believe that one can apply for permanent residency once one does a 2 year masters in Oz. I am asthmatic and have a problem with dry cold high altitude weather, basically humidity and heat makes me feel normal . Eg : Bombay. plus that kind of weather makes riding possible almost all year round Other than that I "hope" to be secure and have plenty of employment opportunities. I have been given to believe that cost of living is cheaper esp for a student. I am also open to Canada and the UK as well in that order. US of A would be ideal but I do not have 4 yrs of college education. Basically im trying to kill alot of birds with one stone . Other than Kaplan and (mba.com - those books cost almost 10k - is there a better deal ? I downloaded their GMAT Prep software it refuses to open showing an error) are there any other books that I should buy ?

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 26th June 2011 at 21:27.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:46   #96
BHPian

@aah78 : dear moderator i think that by merging the thread you have greatly reduced the chances of my posts being read or answered. I know moderation is a thankless job but please consider resorting my topic as a separate thread . thank you .
Old 27th June 2011, 19:35   #97
BHPian

I got an offer letter from Uni of Glasgow today for MBA 2011. Anyone here has an idea about the uni,place etc ,can you share please...
Old 28th June 2011, 00:58   #98
BHPian

Any efficient agents that you guys can suggest / recommend for an MBA programme abroad would be of great help .
Old 26th March 2012, 17:53   #99
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to do MBA from UK, a one year full time course. The course will start in Oct 2012.

What are your opinions regarding -

Coventry
New Castle
Bangor
Cardiff

The reason I have shortlisted the above schools is because they do not require GMAT or GRE scores for admission and they are affordable as well. I am particularly very interested in Coventry as Coventry is known as the "Motor City"! Moreover, Coventry is known to be very very safe and the city is very affordable as well.

I am planning to approach "Global Opportunities" in Thane/Dadar/Bandra for the admission process.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th March 2012 at 17:55.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:07   #100
Senior - BHPian

The reason you have selected them is not a good one. MBA is collaborative learning. You need to see what kind of fellow students you will get because that decides the quality of learning. And that is usually decided by the selection procedure.

Preparing for a good MBA program itself is an experience, try for a more rigorous program if you can.

Disclaimer: I have not read about these programs so I am not commenting on these, just advising in general.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:37   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, I am planning to do MBA from UK, a one year full time course. The course will start in Oct 2012.

Coventry
New Castle
Bangor
Cardiff

The reason I have shortlisted the above schools is because they do not require GMAT or GRE scores for admission and they are affordable as well. I am particularly very interested in Coventry as Coventry is known as the "Motor City"! Moreover, Coventry is known to be very very safe and the city is very affordable as well.

I am planning to approach "Global Opportunities" in Thane/Dadar/Bandra for the admission process.
I lived in Coventry for sometime until last year, (did my Masters at the Univ of Warwick). So yes, as a city is pretty safe and affordable however I wouldn't really advice Coventry university.

If the ones you mentioned are your options then you are better off with either Newcastle or Cardiff.
Old 26th March 2012, 23:05   #102
BHPian

Dude, I also got the same options from these so called "consultants". It all depends up on why u want to do the MBA.I did a lot of research before i dropped the plan of doing MBA after my Engineering graduation.That too after visiting UK for 2 weeks and going through all the universities from which i got offer letter from. If u really serious about a good MBA, you must get atleast 3 years of Full time managerial work experience , in order to get through atleast tier II universities.If u really want to get tier I universities, you should take GMAT and score good marks apart from 3 years of work experience. It all depends "Why you are doing MBA" ,if its just for getting a master degree, you can choose any of these because all of them are of same grade .

N.B: Also dont depend up on the agents, they will refer only universities which fetch them a good commission. Try lot of research on net and try applying by yourself on different universities by " online application". I got offer letter from 3 universities directly from which my agent told , "its impossible to get in this university for your profile" ,Also refer this link for rankings.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gement-studies

Last edited by Mt.olympus : 26th March 2012 at 23:08.
Old 27th March 2012, 00:04   #103
BHPian

Quote:

Coventry
New Castle
Bangor
Cardiff

Coventry is an affordable and safe place. Even I was suggested that uni for Automobile Engg. But don't just go with the suggestions of the consultants, do some research on your own. You can find all universities with your course requirements on the UCAS website i.e. UCAS - Home

It might happen that some particular admission consultants would push for a particular uni if they are getting more commission from it.

Also, I suggest you visit Edwise consultants. Many people I know who have gone abroad for studies through edwise. Even I went there last year when I was planning to go to UK for my UG. They have a branch at malad link road near inorbit. Its in the same building that has popular car accessories and Greens restaurant on the ground floor. Another branch is at santacruz sv road near the honda and vw showroom. These people conduct various seminars too where you can get spot admissions. I had registered for one such seminar last year and I had got a spot offer from City University, London and HIBT, Hertfordshire. But then I decided to do my grad from India only and go to UK later for mba.

BTW how many years of experience do you have after your grads? If you really want admission in a top uni then an experience of atleast 1.5-2 yrs is recommended and a good GMAT score is required. There are various scholarship options too, your consultants will help you on this.
All the best!

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 27th March 2012 at 00:09.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I lived in Coventry for sometime until last year, (did my Masters at the Univ of Warwick). So yes, as a city is pretty safe and affordable however I wouldn't really advice Coventry university.

If the ones you mentioned are your options then you are better off with either Newcastle or Cardiff.
I got to know about Warwick yesterday, so even that is in my list now.

Any specific reason you asked me to avoid Coventry?

Yes, I am trying for Cardiff but problem with New Castle is that it is too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.olympus View Post
If u really serious about a good MBA, you must get atleast 3 years of Full time managerial work experience , in order to get through atleast tier II universities.
I have 3 years work experience but I am not planning to give GMAT.

Can you suggest some good colleges in UK in that case?

Quote:
If u really want to get tier I universities, you should take GMAT and score good marks apart from 3 years of work experience. It all depends "Why you are doing MBA" ,if its just for getting a master degree, you can choose any of these because all of them are of same grade.
Allow me to be blunt, it's just for the degree.

Quote:
N.B: Also dont depend up on the agents, they will refer only universities which fetch them a good commission. Try lot of research on net and try applying by yourself on different universities by " online application". I got offer letter from 3 universities directly from which my agent told , "its impossible to get in this university for your profile" ,Also refer this link for rankings.
True. But dont you think applying through these consultants will save me a lot of hassles. I mean, I guess they will be doing the paper work & Visa process, etc. In short, they will make sure I get an admission in my desired college & also arrange accommodation for me.

P.S.: If it's Coventry, I dont need to worry about accommodation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
You can find all universities with your course requirements on the UCAS website i.e. UCAS - Home
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Also, I suggest you visit Edwise consultants. Many people I know who have gone abroad for studies through edwise. Even I went there last year when I was planning to go to UK for my UG.
Even I have been suggested Edwise by a friend who is in Coventry right now. I am planning to visit their Thane branch soon.

Quote:
BTW how many years of experience do you have after your grads? If you really want admission in a top uni then an experience of atleast 1.5-2 yrs is recommended and a good GMAT score is required.
Though I have 3 years work exp., I am not planning to give GMAT.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:59   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I got to know about Warwick yesterday, so even that is in my list now.

Any specific reason you asked me to avoid Coventry?

Yes, I am trying for Cardiff but problem with New Castle is that it is too expensive.
Well, to be just blunt here, Coventry Uni isnt very well ranked (its decent for Auto Engg perhaps) and neither does it exhude quality (if you get what I mean) considering Univ of Warwick is right there.

Well that is strictly my opinion (no offence to anyone associated with Cov Uni) considering I lived there and interacted with students from Uni of Warwick as well as Coventry.

Coventry as a city is very nice, quiet and affordable. It Automobile heritage has its charm. Plus its at the centre of england, close by to almost every place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks