Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2005, 12:11   #1
BHPian

The Indian / Foreign MBA thread

Guys, I need some first hand information about doing MBA in the states. Preparing for GMAT right now. Will probably start intensively from this week on. No more full fun weekends :(

I did get some information from the net. But still there are certain other things i would like to know from guys who have been there and done that.

First and foremost the top 5 B schools in the US.

1. I have 1 year IT experience as of now (will probably be 2) by the time I get admissions, 4 years industrial experience in foundries and machine shop as engineering trainee and 1 year as enterprenuer selling t-shirts.

The 4 years industrial experience was part of engineering degree and not full time.

2. Supposing i get a pretty good score in GMAT (god willing) is my experience sufficient to get me into one of the top 5 B schools? I am aiming for Harvard and such Ivy leagues.

3. What will be the actual course fees?

4. What will be the cost of living? I understand in B schools it is impossible to work part time as in tech schools because of academic load. Is this correct?

5. What other schools would you recommend and also the reason why.

6. What is the average GMAT score and the experience each of the top 5 schools expect ?
Old 30th June 2005, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

just get in touch with GTO. he is the man for this
Old 30th June 2005, 18:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Harry,

Most Ivy league schools state that they require "atleast" 2 years of management work experience. But I can tell you that most are inclined toward minimum of three years for international students.

Typically they are looking at 4 factors:

1. Academic records
2. GMAT scores
3. Work experience
4. References (VIMP)

The preparations for an IVY league are entirely different from that of a regular Mba application. They must start more than a year in advance; my office is currently preparing students for the September 2006 semester.

Quote:
2. Supposing i get a pretty good score in GMAT (god willing) is my experience sufficient to get me into one of the top 5 B schools? I am aiming for Harvard and such Ivy leagues.
The GMAT is extremely important and can be the difference between you getting into a school of your choice and not. Typically, aim at a 720+. That said, your list of top 5 B Schools will differ depending upon the major. A school that ranks well for a finance degree may not necessarily be the top school for marketing. I can assure you that there will be a lot of variables in your choosing a B School (apart from top 5 rankings).

Quote:
What will be the actual course fees?
Quote:
What will be the cost of living?
You can account for annual expenses in the ballpark of $50,000 all inclusive.

Quote:
5. What other schools would you recommend and also the reason why.
Require a lot more information than what you have provided (previous academics, choice of program major,budget, location preferences etc). Feel free to drop me an email if you have any further questions.

GTO
Old 1st July 2005, 11:24   #4
BHPian

Hey Harrie

As GTO said, 3 years of full-time work-ex after your graduation is generally preferred.

To get a good idea of things I would suggest you to check up this MBA forum : www.pagalguy.com.

Its a great site, lotsa members. People giving CAT, GMAT, already into MBA etc.

They have specific threads for inputs on GMAT and likes.

Should prove helpful.
Old 1st July 2005, 11:48   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys.

I am still digging for more information. I have started preparing full time for both CAT and GMAT now. My dad has to support my expenses. I'll have another talk with him when i go home.

So guess i'll just concentrate on taking GMAT and CAT now.

GTO - I am just starting off now. I'll do some more research and mail you in detail.
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:59   #6
BHPian

The foreign MBA thread

Hello BHPians,

I know a lot of you are management graduates, some from foreign B-Schools, many of the mods in particular. I would like to do a good MBA from abroad and would like your suggestions.

I follow this list. FT.com / Business Education / Global MBA rankings
I am targeting the schools ranked between 20 and 100, don't think it is possible to break the top 20, atleast I am not banking on it.

I am a business analyst working in the IT sector for about 5 years and would like to do a good MBA this year (2009). My plan is to do it and work for about 3 years abroad and come back and start my own venture.

Given the current scenario, which is a good school\country to graduate from, given the dearth of visas and jobs in some of the top countries. I dont want to be in a situation (I know a lot of people who are) where I do an MBA and cant get a job there because of visa issues.

Please help.
Old 23rd August 2008, 04:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Proxima, I am in same boat as your's, but with slightly different profile. the Visa is a critical factor because not only your future depends on it, but also your school's, since it affects your employability and their statistics. If you see, most of the top schools are in US, but there are a few outside US too. if you are interested in living in other countries, you should explore them, but apart from UK and probably Canada, almost everywhere you will have immigration issues.

I also prefer ranking by FT because it gives you real numbers to compare with. I would say don't give up hope on top 20. try a few if you can.

my plans is halted because of immigration issues. US is busy reforming it's laws to help illegal immigrants more than legal immigrants in queue
Old 23rd August 2008, 08:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered Australia? Visa wise, its very easy to get thru. But there are only 2 colleges of "International" repute - AGSM and MBS. The sad part is they dont have much of a reputation in India because most people dont think beyond US/UK MBA degrees.
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:12   #9
BHPian

You have 5 yrs. You could get a 680 + and look at the top 20 schools.. it really depends a lot on your essays and recos. Why you not looking at top 20!

And hey with 5 yrs you could start looking at European schools like the HBS, INSEAD, Oxford etc. Canada look at Rottman, McGill and there is another one cant remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hello BHPians,

I know a lot of you are management graduates, some from foreign B-Schools, many of the mods in particular. I would like to do a good MBA from abroad and would like your suggestions.

I follow this list. FT.com / Business Education / Global MBA rankings
I am targeting the schools ranked between 20 and 100, don't think it is possible to break the top 20, atleast I am not banking on it.

I am a business analyst working in the IT sector for about 5 years and would like to do a good MBA this year (2009). My plan is to do it and work for about 3 years abroad and come back and start my own venture.

Given the current scenario, which is a good school\country to graduate from, given the dearth of visas and jobs in some of the top countries. I dont want to be in a situation (I know a lot of people who are) where I do an MBA and cant get a job there because of visa issues.

Please help.
Old 25th August 2008, 00:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Proxima, I am in same boat as your's, but with slightly different profile. the Visa is a critical factor because not only your future depends on it, but also your school's, since it affects your employability and their statistics. If you see, most of the top schools are in US, but there are a few outside US too. if you are interested in living in other countries, you should explore them, but apart from UK and probably Canada, almost everywhere you will have immigration issues.

I also prefer ranking by FT because it gives you real numbers to compare with. I would say don't give up hope on top 20. try a few if you can.

my plans is halted because of immigration issues. US is busy reforming it's laws to help illegal immigrants more than legal immigrants in queue
Are you saying that getting a work permit in the UK and Canada is easier than the US? That's good news then.

York University: Schulich and University of Alberta are the 2 b-schools in Canada ranked in the top 100. It is quite expensive but if getting a work visa after graduation is almost assured, I am more than willing to give it a try.

There are a lot of good b-schools in the UK, I am considering the following:
  1. Manchester Business School
  2. Lancaster University Management School
  3. Cranfield School of Management
  4. Warwick Business School
  5. Imperial College London: Tanaka
It is cheaper than the US and it is of 1 year duration. Looks a good option too.

Can you confirm if it is pretty easy to get a work permit for Canada and UK?
Is any one in team-BHP a Canada or UK or Australia MBA graduate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Have you considered Australia? Visa wise, its very easy to get thru. But there are only 2 colleges of "International" repute - AGSM and MBS. The sad part is they dont have much of a reputation in India because most people dont think beyond US/UK MBA degrees.
I am definitely considering AGSM and MBS. AGSM is ruled out because the last date is 15th Oct, however, MBS has another session starting in September 09, so I will give that a shot.

Are you sure the work permit (not study visa) is easy for Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
You have 5 yrs. You could get a 680 + and look at the top 20 schools.. it really depends a lot on your essays and recos. Why you not looking at top 20!

And hey with 5 yrs you could start looking at European schools like the HBS, INSEAD, Oxford etc. Canada look at Rottman, McGill and there is another one cant remember
Thanks mate, if i get 700+, ill give those a shot. My BE marks are not that great.

Last edited by Proxima : 25th August 2008 at 00:19.
Old 25th August 2008, 01:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying that getting a work permit in the UK and Canada is easier than the US? That's good news then.

York University: Schulich and University of Alberta are the 2 b-schools in Canada ranked in the top 100. It is quite expensive but if getting a work visa after graduation is almost assured, I am more than willing to give it a try.

in both canada and UK permanent residency (equivalent to Green card) is points based. as long as you satisfy them, and you file them from their while studying, you may get it within an year. in US you will have to apply for work permit (H1-B) first which restricts your movement, you job profile can not change and if you lose your job you HAVE to leave the country. Green card takes years to complete.

in canada you should try for:
queens
rotman
ivey
schulich
HEC - Montreal, quebec, learning french recommended
McGill - Montreal again

second tier may be alberta, calgary, british columbia, john molson (montreal again) etc.

in UK you already have a good list. you can add cambridge and oxford. just keep in mind cost of living in UK may be double of canada or US. take salary numbers accordingly.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
So guess i'll just concentrate on taking GMAT and CAT now.
I have written both GMAT and CAT at different times, and I had 730 in GMAT. I guess I am experienced to comment on this.

It is a bad idea to prepare for CAT and GMAT together. Both requires different approach.

Quote:
There are a lot of good b-schools in the UK, I am considering the following:
  1. Manchester Business School
  2. Lancaster University Management School
  3. Cranfield School of Management
  4. Warwick Business School
  5. Imperial College London: Tanaka
Why not consider Said and Judge. There are less expensive too.

Quote:
I am definitely considering AGSM and MBS.
These schools tend to be expensive and don't offer many financial options compared to UK schools. Look at Australia if
1) You have money
2) You want easier admission

Quote:
Thanks mate, if i get 700+, ill give those a shot. My BE marks are not that great.
Haven't written yet? There is a lot more things to be done after GMAT. It's going to be a squeeze to make it to 2009 fall
Old 25th August 2008, 12:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I have written both GMAT and CAT at different times, and I had 730 in GMAT. I guess I am experienced to comment on this.

It is a bad idea to prepare for CAT and GMAT together. Both requires different approach.

Why not consider Said and Judge. There are less expensive too.

These schools tend to be expensive and don't offer many financial options compared to UK schools. Look at Australia if
1) You have money
2) You want easier admission

Haven't written yet? There is a lot more things to be done after GMAT. It's going to be a squeeze to make it to 2009 fall
Thanks WhiteKnight, which country do you suggest I target in-terms of work permit after graduation?

Did you do your MBA abroad? I am sure you will be of great help to the likes of me.

What needs to be done after GMAT? I know the application process and deadlines, is there anything that I have not considered?
Old 25th August 2008, 12:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
in both canada and UK permanent residency (equivalent to Green card) is points based. as long as you satisfy them, and you file them from their while studying, you may get it within an year. in US you will have to apply for work permit (H1-B) first which restricts your movement, you job profile can not change and if you lose your job you HAVE to leave the country. Green card takes years to complete.
How does one earn points? Can you please direct me to more info on this?

Quote:
in canada you should try for:
queens
rotman
ivey
schulich
HEC - Montreal, quebec, learning french recommended
McGill - Montreal again

second tier may be alberta, calgary, british columbia, john molson (montreal again) etc.

in UK you already have a good list. you can add cambridge and oxford. just keep in mind cost of living in UK may be double of canada or US. take salary numbers accordingly.
Do you refer to the FT rankings or is there another reliable source of information?
Old 25th August 2008, 14:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks WhiteKnight, which country do you suggest I target in-terms of work permit after graduation?
I guess you shouldn't target any. Be open to work anywhere. Chances are that you might land up back in Asia-pac. Having said that, there is a H1B reservation for folks graduating from US.

Quote:
What needs to be done after GMAT? I know the application process and deadlines, is there anything that I have not considered?
It is always good to be an early bird. As you might know, first round deadlines for 2009 fall should be really close. Writing essays, getting those reviewd, getting reccos- all are going to take time. You better take professional help in those.

Quote:
Did you do your MBA abroad? I am sure you will be of great help to the likes of me?
Well, to start with, it was my dream to study at a GSB that carries name of a railroad business legend. I liked this GSB fore because of their non-traditional approach. I prepared many years, reserched FT, US News, WSJ, and all other rankings. Prepared for GMAT, and hit a good score.
Then, when I looked back, I felt I didn't really want to do it. It hurts my ego, but there are other things that takes priority. So I dropped the plan.

You know, I felt so good when I watched the movie "Cars". There is more to life than just winning.

I also did an opportunity cost analysis (to satisfy my ego-of course), and I came with numbers that doesn't fit with my plans. My dad's salary when he retired was less than my first salary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks