Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 06:50   #15811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: HDR Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I prefer to shoot just one exposure in RAW and process it to get more DR in the photo.
I shoot in RAW all the time. But I don't think you can not get as much DR from one exposure as from multiple. That's the whole point of HDR.

Jeroen
Old 1st July 2013, 09:54   #15812
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Edit: @ Chevvele: great shots, wouldn't it make sense to tone down the highlights, lift the shadows and perhaps increase the structure a little bit?
Thanks! A little too much of photography terms for me to understand.

Honestly, these are straight out of camera. Haven't done any editing except re-sizing. Will try to follow your suggestion though can you please explain what you mean by increasing the structure?

Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 10:48   #15813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I shoot in RAW all the time. But I don't think you can not get as much DR from one exposure as from multiple. That's the whole point of HDR.

Jeroen
How much DR you can extract out of one exposure depends on the camera's sensor. I'm happy with what I can extract out of my K-x's single exposure. Another thing is I don't want to buy Photomatix just for HDR, it's not worth the investment for me as I don't do HDR that often.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:17   #15814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
HDR? BTW. it's nice.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Thanks, pseudo HDR. A little overcooked if you ask me, but I was experimenting :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Petronas Twin Towers from KL Menara observation deck.

Attachment 1104256
Lovely photo.

Quote:
I searched the forum. There are several threads on cameras, photography, photoshop etc. But I found virtually nothing on HDR photography.

Anyway, here goes, my first HDR shots ever, Golden Temple:

Jeroen
Great photos - would look even better if you reduce the noise.

Quote:
American Bald Eagle in San Francisco Zoo

Attachment 1104446
Very nice. I love raptors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hypotenuse!

Attachment 1104481
Nice. You might want to try out b&w as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks! A little too much of photography terms for me to understand.

Honestly, these are straight out of camera. Haven't done any editing except re-sizing. Will try to follow your suggestion though can you please explain what you mean by increasing the structure?

Thanks
With some photo processing SWs - Lightroom etc. - you can get back from detail from the white highlights and 'lift' the shadows i.e. make them look less dark. Idea is to capture some more detail.

Structure: helps in making the patterns more prominent.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:21   #15815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to see someone living in my home country! I grew up "next door", in Amstelveen and know Aalsmeer quite well.
Especially the "Westeinder plassen". Used to own and race several dinghies! (Stern, OK and I used to crew on a Vrijheid)
Jeroen
I very much like the place. It is an area mostly occupied by the rich.. Can see lots of nice cars in the neighborhood.

Few weeks back I went to a place called Giethoorn, and rented a small motor boat and drove (is it the correct word?) myself.. it was fun!
Old 1st July 2013, 15:31   #15816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Few weeks back I went to a place called Giethoorn, and rented a small motor boat and drove (is it the correct word?) myself.. it was fun!
Yes, especially as it was a motor boat, you can "drive" it. I assume it was an electrical one though> I seem to recall they have banned petrol/diesel engine for all the rental boats.

Jeroen
Old 1st July 2013, 22:02   #15817
Senior - BHPian

Queen of the jungle

The Official non-auto Image thread-tigress2.jpg
Old 1st July 2013, 22:12   #15818
Team-BHP Support

Here is another HDR.

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_8209_dppa3.jpg
Old 1st July 2013, 22:49   #15819
BHPian

How do you guys define HDR? The expansion of the acronym is High Dynamic Range, but I don't see very high dynamic range in some of the photos posted.

When do you decide that you have to shoot a scene in HDR?

Would you consider this photo an example of HDR?

The Official non-auto Image thread-20110822belur0002.jpg
Old 1st July 2013, 23:43   #15820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is another HDR.
Attachment 1104899
Quote:
How do you guys define HDR? The expansion of the acronym is High Dynamic Range, but I don't see very high dynamic range in some of the photos posted.
When do you decide that you have to shoot a scene in HDR?
Would you consider this photo an example of HDR?
Attachment 1104909
IMO, these two pictures can be directly achieved from a single RAW without processing HDR.

Some people would like to see colorful and surreal HDRs but that may not suit well for all kinds of subjects. Some prefer just subtle HDR processing.

An HDR can really bring out the vividness of colors, with the dynamic range.

Original click (one of them)

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc1963web.jpg

HDR-1

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc1962_3_4_tonemapped2.jpg

HDR-2 (More painterly)

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc1962_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

Personally, I prefer the first HDR, which is milder than the second.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st July 2013 at 23:49.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:01   #15821
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, these two pictures can be directly achieved from a single RAW without processing HDR.
Agree.

Quote:
Original click (one of them)

Attachment 1104916

HDR-1

Attachment 1104917

HDR-2 (More painterly)

Attachment 1104918

Personally, I prefer the first HDR, which is milder than the second.
Even in this photos I feel that the shadows could've been easily recovered (depending on the camera sensor) with one RAW exposure. The bright areas doesn't have that much detail anyway compared to original exposure.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:26   #15822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree. My reason for taking an HDR is if there are enough refections in water or a dramatic sky which wont come out clean on a single RAW. There can be more reasons. But these two come to me first hand.
On top it, I like the HDR to be mild for landscapes. I dont want it to go over the top. Hence the one I posted looked like a normal landscape. May be it might be possible to extract the same from a single RAW, but when I snapped I was not too sure and hence went with a bracketed shot.

Quote:
Even in this photos I feel that the shadows could've been easily recovered (depending on the camera sensor) with one RAW exposure. The bright areas doesn't have that much detail anyway compared to original exposure.
I have tried single RAW enhancement to lift the dynamic range. In most cases for me the image always gave me highly processed look. While I always looked for the milder tones.

This image for example I shot with cell phone and tried an HDR enhancement to extract the details.

The Official non-auto Image thread-20130629-11.01.42_hdra3-1.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2013 at 00:31.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:39   #15823
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried single RAW enhancement to lift the dynamic range. In most cases for me the image always gave me highly processed look. While I always looked for the milder tones.

This image for example I shot with cell phone and tried an HDR enhancement to extract the details.

Attachment 1104921
That's why I mentioned "one RAW exposure". I should've emphasized more on the word RAW. Doing multiple exposure bracketing is a no-brainer if you are shooting JPEG. There is no other way to get that kind of DR from JPEG.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:45   #15824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's why I mentioned "one RAW exposure". I should've emphasized more on the word RAW. Doing multiple exposure bracketing is a no-brainer if you are shooting JPEG. There is no other way to get that kind of DR from JPEG.
I still have not fully grasped the art of HDR. What I meant was even with a single RAW image, we may get a washed out sky or a washed out foreground depending on where we focus. Those are my first order points to make a decision, if I want to bracket. In the water image that I posted, I was not sure, if the refections would get captured correctly. Hence my reason to go for an HDR.
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:48   #15825
BHPian

Quote:
I still have not fully grasped the art of HDR. What I meant was even with a single RAW image, we may get a washed out sky or a washed out foreground depending on where we focus. Those are my first order points to make a decision, if I want to bracket. In the water image that I posted, I was not sure, if the refections would get captured correctly. Hence my reason to go for an HDR.
I think you are mixing focus stacking with HDR. The focus point doesn't change for multiple exposures that make an HDR image. And as most HDR images are landscapes (in general), the focus area is large enough to have everything sharp in the image.

Take a look at this image. This is the original unprocessed version of the image I posted in this post here.

The Official non-auto Image thread-20130622sf-skyline6.jpg

I under-exposed this by 3 stops to make sure the reflection in the water and sky doesn't blow out. Then extracted the details and colors out of shadows in post-processing. In hindsight it was probably not required to under-expose it by that much and I paid the price in terms of noise and loss of some IQ because of f16.

Most Viewed