Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2017, 21:08   #17206
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
@Durango Dude - Excellent snaps. But as a viewer, my personal preference is for snaps that has life in it. I guess it is so with almost all of us. That's why I remembered the old post of Jeroen the moment he posted it now. It was imprinted in my mind then - and as I said, I was able to feel the energy of the place. At the same time, since the discussion started with this photo, what problem do you find with this photo of Jeroen's?[/url]
Thank you, as such, I was apprehended by the police twice (who reviewed the images and asked for my id and let me go) when I took that Costa Coffee shot as it was done with a tripod (long exposure); my wife and family were livid. My wife usually sent my son to 'take care' of me when I'm on a 'mission'! My family has stopped accompanying me on drives when they see me with the camera bag and tripod. I like street photography to, but haven't tried for the fear of misunderstanding that may arise. The only models are my family when they want a new DP they'll pose or they will just ask me to get lost! This has diverted me towards nature, which doesn't complain & poses beautifully!
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-1360-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 14th May 2017 at 21:20.
Old 15th May 2017, 16:17   #17207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
As an average human, one is accustomed to seeing certain stereotypes associated with certain places - because as you rightly pointed out, they sell.

It is as though our minds are reluctant to step outside the comfortable grooves that are so familiar & accept any other reality.
Yes. And many street photos I see, continue the same pattern. Perhaps because of (1 or 2 or 1+2):
1. Because of the existing steretypical associations that appeal to a certain type of audience
2. Because some previous masters in this genre shot those type of photos, so today's street photogs want to continue on the same path because they feel that 'this is what street or candid' means

That Japanese photographer made me think. He is a great photographer. But his choices were interesting.
1. Why no beautiful India, like his beautiful portrayal of Japanese natural beauty?
2. Why not show a different side of Japan through street/candid, like he showed re India?

The only reasons I can think of are stereotypical associations, leading to cognitive bias, and catering to his audience.

And not just photos. Many travel stories and articles cater to those same associations, for same reasons. One can take a risk if one is established, but for most aspiring writers or photographers, it is easier to cater to a ready market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
This has diverted me towards nature, which doesn't complain & poses beautifully!
+1, though in my case it is wasn't a matter of diversion. Before I bought a DSLR I knew what genre I liked. My preferences have changed over time. I used to like taking tight portraits of animals, now I prefer interesting light and habitat shots.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_1964_00002.jpg
Old 15th May 2017, 16:37   #17208
Team-BHP Support

I shoot people participating happy occasions, like parties, weddings and festivals. Here most are dressed in their best, so I don't have to worry about taking advantage of them.
Old 15th May 2017, 18:06   #17209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
.....And not just photos. Many travel stories and articles cater to those same associations..........]
This rang a bell. I remember reading Paul Theroux' "Riding the Iron Rooster" many, many years ago and a passage which remains riveted in my mind - where he describes visiting one of the Buddhist monasteries in Tibet and walking down the hallway to find the floor "smeared with human excreta etc". I remember thinking even then - now, why would a writer go into such bottom-scraping detail about a presumably sacred place. Granted that one needs to be "clinically objective", but there is also something called poetic licence & perhaps Mr. Theroux could have exercised it here. I wonder how he would describe our Benaras temples with their narrow, labyrinthine lanes!
Old 15th May 2017, 23:49   #17210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1, though in my case it is wasn't a matter of diversion. Before I bought a DSLR I knew what genre I liked. My preferences have changed over time. I used to like taking tight portraits of animals, now I prefer interesting light and habitat shots. Attachment 1639124
For those who have the patience, nature can be rewarding. I like multiple genre's, I do nature as there soo much to shoot in your backyard like the images posted below are all taken at home! ))
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-5640_filtered.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-bee-within.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 15th May 2017 at 23:59.
Old 16th May 2017, 01:30   #17211
BHPian

Interesting discussion going on here. Although I've not travelled extensively throughout India, I have a few clicks which I feel do portray India... "A beautiful India".

I feel the culture, the nature and the people are it's soul. Rural India is not only about poverty and proud poor people moving on with their daily chores.

I'm not a professional photographer.. Kindly pardon the image deficiencies..

Beauty of India's nature

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_20151023_104338_hdr1600x900.jpg

A woman going on with her day to day work. The paddy fields and the temple do portray the deep running notions of India's traditions

The Official non-auto Image thread-20161204100907_img_03221600x1067.jpg

People in cars enjoying nature at Kava. Those small boxes are cars..

The Official non-auto Image thread-20161127181035_img_01321600x1067.jpg

People admiring the beauty of the huge Indian flag mast at Hussain Sagar lake Hyderabad

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_20170219_181239410_hdr1600x900.jpg

Fishermen indulged in their daily chores unmindful of the beauty in their backdrop at Shanghumugham

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_08511600x1067.jpg

Grandeur of Indian architecture. Verandah of kuthira malika Thiruvananthapuram

The Official non-auto Image thread-verandah1600x1067.jpg

Celebrations begin by lighting a lamp.. A symbol of hope.

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_53461600x1285.jpg

Caparisoned Elephants displaying kudamaattam in front of the huge pandhal at Nemmara Vela

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_20170403_180638265_hdr1600x900.jpg

Development reaching rural India.. A smooth scenic flower tree clad highway running through rural Karnataka

The Official non-auto Image thread-photopictureresizer_160831_2255444471600x900.jpg

There is much more to India than what is portrayed IMO.
Old 16th May 2017, 13:25   #17212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those who have the patience, nature can be rewarding. I like multiple genre's, I do nature as there soo much to shoot in your backyard like the images posted below are all taken at home! ))
Lovely shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I shoot people participating happy occasions, like parties, weddings and festivals. Here most are dressed in their best, so I don't have to worry about taking advantage of them.
There are enough challenges around. There is a lot to be said for capturing happy moments instead of struggles or sadness.

Some world famous agencies and cos go to horrible extremes to capture the decisive moment, or to promote photography. See this which caused a huge uproar. https://petapixel.com/2017/05/01/len...fication-rape/

Quote:
This rang a bell. I remember reading Paul Theroux' "Riding the Iron Rooster" many, many years ago and a passage which remains riveted in my mind - where he describes visiting one of the Buddhist monasteries in Tibet and walking down the hallway to find the floor "smeared with human excreta etc". I remember thinking even then - now, why would a writer go into such bottom-scraping detail about a presumably sacred place. Granted that one needs to be "clinically objective", but there is also something called poetic licence & perhaps Mr. Theroux could have exercised it here. I wonder how he would describe our Benaras temples with their narrow, labyrinthine lanes!
I have read too many such articles even from respected publications such as The Economist. Even good coverage was polluted by an unrelated snide sentence or two. Of the 'India sends rockets or launches missiles but still is struggling with poverty/lack of toilets/etc' type. True of course. But not required when covering unrelated topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Interesting discussion going on here. Although I've not travelled extensively throughout India, I have a few clicks which I feel do portray India... "A beautiful India".

I feel the culture, the nature and the people are it's soul. Rural India is not only about poverty and proud poor people moving on with their daily chores.

Very nice photos. Is that a Nilgiri Tahr near the Anaimudis?

-------------------
On a separate note, today I came across a Bandhavgarh resort/travel company using images - taken from my old Tadoba travelogue on Team BHP - to promote their tours and resort. Commercial use without taking permission. And LOL about using Tadoba images to promote Bandhavgarh. Have sent them a case and desist email.

This is the travelogue - see the last photo of the first post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2810284

And this is what they are using on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/bandhavgarh365/
The Official non-auto Image thread-16174549_1915213585375688_6346055800300412092_n.jpg

They are also using another photo - this one http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2824630 - on their Facebook retargetting ads.

Those days I used to post larger file sizes, didn't even know about resizing apart from what options were available on Picasa.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th May 2017 at 13:34.
Old 16th May 2017, 16:44   #17213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely shots
There are enough challenges around. There is a lot to be said for capturing happy moments instead of struggles or sadness.

Lovely images of the tigers, Nilanjan!

Here's one captive white tiger in Singapore Zoo. Agree, there's no kick like 'capturing' one in the wild!
The Official non-auto Image thread-white-tiger.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 16th May 2017 at 16:56. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 16th May 2017, 18:26   #17214
M35
BHPian

Quote:
My preferences have changed over time. I used to like taking tight portraits of animals, now I prefer interesting light and habitat shots.
Attachment 1639124
Lovely lighting there !

Quote:
She beautiful close-ups there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Thanks for taking me my place through your pictures. I always enjoyed driving to Kava whenever I got time in Palakkad.

I am sharing this picture of mine which got published on the NatGeo -Daily Dozen, today.
The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc65243edit2.jpg
Old 16th May 2017, 22:39   #17215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
She beautiful close-ups there !I am sharing this picture of mine which got published on the NatGeo -Daily Dozen, today.
Thank you, M35, Congratulations on getting featured in Nat Geo!

here's an image of mating Mangrove Tree Nymph butterflies shot by me in Singapore Insect & Butterfly Kingdom.

Woodpecker at home.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_1515.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-4148002-copy001.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 16th May 2017 at 22:45.
Old 17th May 2017, 05:04   #17216
BANNED

Quote:
Terrific Durango Dude! - and such fabulous rewards for so meagre a price - just patience! You forgot to add the eye for detail & knowing what to look for!

Nilanjan, M35, Durango, i20ian, - thank you for this surfeit of soul food! For a layman like me, it is enough to know that I am in such august company.

Quote:
Some world famous agencies and cos go to horrible extremes to capture the decisive moment, or to promote photography. See this which caused a huge uproar.

The above reaffirms my long held belief that we are a diseased & dysfunctional species. Almost along the lines of another belief popular (in some quarters), that we are a failed experiment in some superior civilisation's laboratory! Whatever the truth, it's time we vacated the planet for a better example to sit on top of the dung hill.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2017 at 07:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 17th May 2017, 07:42   #17217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Terrific Durango Dude! - and such fabulous rewards for so meagre a price - just patience! You forgot to add the eye for detail & knowing what to look for!Nilanjan, M35, Durango, i20ian, - thank you for this surfeit of soul food! For a layman like me, it is enough to know that I am in such august company
Thank you, Shashanka! Some more from my 'backyard' (home) archives!

A female Shikra, Painted Stork and Spot Billed Pelican in flight overhead!
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-female-shikra-flight.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-painted-stork-flight.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-spotbilled-pelican.jpg  

Old 18th May 2017, 00:13   #17218
BHPian

Quote:
Very nice photos. Is that a Nilgiri Tahr near the Anaimudis?
Thank you Nilanjan. Yes it is a Nilgiri Tahr taken from Munnar.

Quote:

Thanks for taking me my place through your pictures. I always enjoyed driving to Kava whenever I got time in Palakkad.

I am sharing this picture of mine which got published on the NatGeo -Daily Dozen, today.
Attachment 1639428
Congrats M35 on getting published in Nat Geo. That was a great shot!!
Old 18th May 2017, 02:27   #17219
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! M35. Great shot!

Quote:
Thank you, M35, Congratulations on getting featured in Nat Geo!

here's an image of mating Mangrove Tree Nymph butterflies shot by me in Singapore Insect & Butterfly Kingdom.

Woodpecker at home.
Lovely shot of the woodpecker Durango Dude.

Nice discussion going on about how India is being portrayed through pics. I wish I took more pics when I was in India to show its glory. But digging up through my pics I found some that I can share.

Mahabalipuram - Chennai
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_5260-copy.jpg
Kodaikanal - Tamil Nadu
The Official non-auto Image thread-kodai-large.jpg
Ooty - Tamil Nadu
The Official non-auto Image thread-landscape.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-misty-hill.jpg
This was shot in San Fransisco
The Official non-auto Image thread-34222764381_8d5f377b3c_k.jpg

Last edited by navin_bhp : 18th May 2017 at 02:36.
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:42   #17220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Lovely shot of the woodpecker Durango Dude.
Nice discussion going on about how India is being portrayed through pics. I wish I took more pics when I was in India to show its glory. But digging up through my pics I found some that I can share.
Thank you, Navin! Every country will look as good or as bad as we want to depict it! On that note, took a joy ride with family in the newly opened squeaky clean Chennai Metro, yesterday, took some images with my iPhone 7 plus with an addon Olloclip Wide Angle Lens. Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-17.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-2336.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-2341.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-2378.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-2410.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-2411.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-topaz-2389.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks