Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2007, 21:58   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
yes, last week. my photos really don't do justice to the scenery here.

I noticed your ohio background in school and college.
here are a couple more, from smokies and some from my office.

falll colors pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots
Nice pics,Vivek. I really miss those fall colors..
I went to Bowling Green State Univ, 30miles south of Toledo. The scenic drives towards Akron & towards Michigan are simply amazing. I had a good collection of pictures taken there,but lost it all when my computer got infected with a virus..
Old 19th November 2007, 23:36   #1862
BHPian

This will seem OT since everyone is posting sunsets, but I dont have a sunset pic...

Old 20th November 2007, 00:12   #1863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Although i do agree with your concepts of composition, i do also think that there is more than just one universal aesthetic.

Torqy's photo is more like an "abstract painting", whereas most of the other pictures in this thread are like "landscape paintings" etc. .. ie my opinion.
People who do compose real abstracts, have to first master the normal composition. Throwing paint at the wall and then find meaning is not really art. May work for Paint commercials, but not in reality.

To take an analogy from my work, object oriented design involves creating abstract classes which does nothing but outline broad ideas. It takes lot more experience and very deep understanding of a given domain to design abstract classes for that domain. It is much easier to create non-abstract ideas compared to abstract ideas.

If Torqy's image was indeed an abstract shot, then I would like to know meaning of it. Because I couldn't make much of it.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:28   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If Torqy's image was indeed an abstract shot, then I would like to know meaning of it.
ummmmmm, meaning of an abstract? I thought interpretation of abstract was better done by the audience, to individual taste.

to me, it looks like torqy wanted to show us the dramatic colors in the sky, and it does look good. I have seen other pics involving sky alone, and it makes a good subject.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:32   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I had a good collection of pictures taken there,but lost it all when my computer got infected with a virus..
which is another reason I keep an online album of selected pics from every occasion. I would be interested to know what other members use for their long term storage. I am planning to buy another external HDD and use it as a backup.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:46   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be interested to know what other members use for their long term storage.
Burn DVD's !! Simple
Old 20th November 2007, 00:49   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Burn DVD's !! Simple
Yup,..its the best way to store pics. Ever since my comp crashed,I've been burning DVDs/CDs and clearing my hard drive for free space.
Interesting pic..Mayavi..
Old 20th November 2007, 01:04   #1868
BHPian

@samurai san, getting abstract and concrete all over us eh? I better get my factories to churn out some concretes then before your interfaces turn our sockets inside out.
All of this over a puff of orange water vapors. @Torqy thats quite some stir you have created. I agree with san in a way. Your exposure is good. Colours are vivid and its got a volcanic eruption like quality. However the frame seems a bit unfinished.
Every canvas has a story. What is yours?

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 20th November 2007 at 01:06.
Old 20th November 2007, 01:29   #1869
BHPian

I too agree with Samurai on composition. It should've included other elements to make the picture look great. It looks like a crop from a larger image, am I right torqy?

Other than that, the dark cloud on the bottom left is a distraction and would look good if cloned out.
Old 20th November 2007, 05:19   #1870
BHPian

Shot this at Tirupati in May this year.

Old 20th November 2007, 12:21   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
People who do compose real abstracts, have to first master the normal composition. Throwing paint at the wall and then find meaning is not really art. May work for Paint commercials, but not in reality.
It DOES work. M.F.Hussain sells......just kidding...not meant to make fun of him as an artist.

Quote:
If Torqy's image was indeed an abstract shot, then I would like to know meaning of it. Because I couldn't make much of it.
Well, to be frank, i have no idea. I liked what i saw and i just captured it. That's my photography. Earlier i used to just look at nature and appreciate the beauty. But once i got my first camera (E-500), i started seeing nature in "frames", think about compositions, avoid unnecessary clutter in the background etc. I just click when i like something. Sometimes they do end up abstract. Sometimes i try abstract.

But i'm not going to find the depth of life's meaning from a mish-mash of colours. Some people can. I can't.

BTW, that was shot from the apartment terrace and we DO NOT have a skyline to boast of.

I have a ZOOMED-OUT version of the picture which i'll post later.

-- Torqy
Old 20th November 2007, 12:23   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
This will seem OT since everyone is posting sunsets, but I dont have a sunset pic...
Good composition Mayavi. Can we do something on the DOF?
Old 20th November 2007, 12:31   #1873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
which is another reason I keep an online album of selected pics from every occasion. I would be interested to know what other members use for their long term storage. I am planning to buy another external HDD and use it as a backup.
All my pics go to smugmug, and the good RAWs go to DVD.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:33   #1874
Senior - BHPian

------DELETED---------
I took this picture in 1985; Place: Baroda; Camera: One of those day's Ordinary Auto-Focus; Man in Picture: my friend Suresh Kumar, in action of a catch position.
He complained that I cut his head off.. But it turned out to be a great action picture..

Last edited by Samurai : 20th November 2007 at 16:20. Reason: Oversized image, stick around 800pix of width
Old 20th November 2007, 14:34   #1875
Senior - BHPian

-----------deleted---------

Last edited by Samurai : 20th November 2007 at 16:20. Reason: Oversized image, stick around 800pix of width

Most Viewed