Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2005, 11:58   #256
Team-BHP Support

Here are a few pics from my uttaranchal(Chamba/mussorie) trip
Old 29th July 2005, 22:23   #257
Senior - BHPian

Photography Thread!!

All Images were taken by a Sony DSC-W1, the same which I have.
  1. 1/15s f/2.8 at 7.9mm iso400 and no flash, matrix metering, exposure program (2)

At such a slow shutter speed and high ISO, the image should've been grainy AND the guy in the picture should've been blurred, because surely he wasn't keeping soooo still. Even then, you can see that he is sharp in the image.
    How?

2. 1/160s f/8.0 at 16.7mm iso100 and no flash, matrix metering, exposure - program (2)

To get a f-stop of 8.0, he must've used optical zoom of around 3x, which would've required the shutter speed to fall. Anyways, with such a slow shutter speed, what happened to the light coming from under the bridge??
Old 30th July 2005, 10:40   #258
Senior - BHPian

I got the answer to the first question. My mistake, I misunderstood. Anyways another question.
  • How do you remove pictures in low light places without flash and expect the subject to come sharp?? Consider a room where the lighting is low, but you can see people's faces etc. But then if you try it with your digital camera, it'll go to a very slow shutter speed like 1 second. If you manually keep it at 1/8 it will be very dark and still blurry.

Rudra Sir, please help.
Old 30th July 2005, 12:06   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
How do you remove pictures in low light places without flash and expect the subject to come sharp??
I suppose you mean to say how do you record(take) picture in low light without flash.

Main issue here is is the speed of your lens. Speed of any lens is the maximum opening of the lens. For example f2.8 as you mentioned. For low light photography you need to have high speed lens and faster film speed setting. If you have a maximum 2.8 opening and maximum 400 ISO film speed setting then it may not be enough for your liking of low light photography.

I don't know if you can increase ISO speed in your camera. If not then you have to live with tripod mounted camera situation and telling your subject to pose still.
Old 30th July 2005, 12:06   #260
BHPian

Quote:
How do you remove pictures in low light places without flash and expect the subject to come sharp?? Consider a room where the lighting is low, but you can see people's faces etc. But then if you try it with your digital camera, it'll go to a very slow shutter speed like 1 second. If you manually keep it at 1/8 it will be very dark and still blurry.
Hey Gordon,

I was unable to view the photos on your first thread so can not really comment (I was getting the picture placeholders and even the show picture command was not working. At a later time, perhaps.)

As for the 2nd thread, could not figure out the "How do you remove pictures" part. Please explain.

With lowlights, using a higher (read faster) ISO film helps and the o/b computer will inrease the shutter speed for the same f-stop since the film will expose faster. However, if the light is LOW it is LOW - can not do much about it other than using a fill-in flash/bounce flash/diffused lighting. Other option is to use a tripod and ask the subject(s) to remain very still - I know, not very practical.

Shutter speeds less than 1/25 are rather tricky to manage w/out a tripod and especially on small digicams with poor ergonomics - older SLRs provide better grips. H'ever, have seen guys shoot with 2~3 secs exposure also w/out tripods and acceptable results.

The fact remains that low light is low light and not much can be done about it. You can play with the EV settings a bit but color accuracy loses will creep in.

I'll try review the first thread during the day and revert with what I can.
Old 30th July 2005, 12:15   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
I suppose you mean to say how do you record(take) picture in low light without flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
As for the 2nd thread, could not figure out the "How do you remove pictures" part. Please explain.

Take a picture and remove a picture means "Record a picture", "Click a photo".

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
For example f2.8 as you mentioned. For low light photography you need to have high speed lens and faster film speed setting. If you have a maximum 2.8 opening and maximum 400 ISO film speed setting then it may not be enough for your liking of low light photography.
High Speed lens means f stop should be more or less???

I can manually set ISO to maximum 400.

How do I take a picture of a person in a stadium in the afternoon??! The person is facing his/her back towards the ground. I tried taking full flash, but the person still comes dark. I then tried spot metering on the person, but then the ground loses it color and becomes tooo bright.
Old 30th July 2005, 13:08   #262
BHPian

Ummm.. The query is for strong backlighted subject.
Do not use Spot metering on the subject - the backdrop fill get over exposed. Take a matrix/avg metering and use fill-in flash to light-up the subject (Forced-flash mode in digicams). Also, play a little with the EV settings, if any o/wise play with your ISO settings to get the desired result (go up on the ISOs).

Since Fill-in flash is required, you will have to move in close to the subject, and compensate accordingly for distance, for the flash to be of any use.

HS lenses usually have a notch or two of higher f stops openings thus allowing more light to enter the lens w/out risking over-exposure (Not too sure on this as HSs usually lie in the releam of the pro-professionals! and are very expensive).

Gordon, next time perhaps you can elaborate your query to involve general distances etc. helps in visualizing the scene.

Cheers
Old 31st July 2005, 02:17   #263
Senior - BHPian

my attempt at taking a decent photo

hey guys
i am not very good when it comes to taking photos
however here i have given a serious attempt to take a decent photo

this is the back side view of my house & we do get natural waterfall when raining

Old 31st July 2005, 16:20   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
& we do get natural waterfall when raining
Old 13th August 2005, 21:35   #265
Team-BHP Support

the fastest zoom lenses are about f/2.8 for a faster lens you will have to use prime (single focal length) lenses. for this you need some sort of interchangeable lens camera body like an SLR/DSLR or Medium format.

I too cant see the pics so cant comment. try www.jjmetha.com for help on this.

Last edited by navin : 13th August 2005 at 21:36.
Old 16th August 2005, 14:47   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To get a f-stop of 8.0, he must've used optical zoom of around 3x, which would've required the shutter speed to fall. Anyways, with such a slow shutter speed, what happened to the light coming from under the bridge??
I cant see the pics but your question is somewhat confusing. To get F-8.0 why do you need to do 3x optical zoom. In full manual mode, you can set aperture to anything. If the combination of shutter speed and aperture let too much light in, you will get an overexposed image, and if they let too less light in you will get underexposed image.

Now to get to Sony DSC cameras. If you read the review on any good sight dcresource.com/dpreview.com you will find that the camera has tendency to choose smallest apertures. This leads to softer images(Diffraction). this was an issue most reviewrs noticed. So what i suspect is that camera increased the exposure time and chose a smaller aperture.(F8.0). As for the light under the bridge, need to see the pic to comment
Old 18th September 2005, 18:33   #267
Senior - BHPian

Cst - Pics

A couple of pics of CST station and Flora Fountain from my Nokia 7610

Old 19th September 2005, 01:38   #268
BHPian

building from mumbai

this is a pic of some building near JJ art gallery - was just walking by with camera - can somebody identify it for me ?
Old 19th September 2005, 01:50   #269
Senior - BHPian

its on the opposite side of the art gallery next to all the bus stops.just cant get the name right now.will go by tomorrow and check it out.

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 19th September 2005 at 01:52.
Old 27th September 2005, 17:05   #270

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

amazing pics guys....really pro

Last edited by hellspawn : 27th September 2005 at 17:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks