Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 01:25   #6016
BHPian

@Gandhi
The image looks blown up...the wide color gamut has not been captured. You may need to tone map it better. I would say, the composition is not great, so the HDR effect is anyway being nullified. I was an HDR freak before, these days not much...I guess i am over it now, thanks to the forum . HDR is nice, but exposure blending is even better as it results in a much realistic render. HDR , when done artistically can yield some spectacular surreal results as well.

In the above shot, both HDR quality and photographic composition is missing. Nevertheless I understand that it is a trial shot, nice try. Keep them coming. All the best.

A couple of old HDRs from my Sony H50 Point and Shoot.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3251746620_c1755f6f48_b.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-3280983600_57ffc63183_b.jpg

And one from my K810i Mobile phone camera
The Official non-auto Image thread-3304751290_0914736ee2_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 17th July 2009 at 01:28.
Old 17th July 2009, 05:11   #6017
Senior - BHPian

Panorama shot with a shitty 2MP Phone camera (HTC Touch).

The Official non-auto Image thread-imag0044.jpg
Old 17th July 2009, 07:29   #6018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have no clue about the technical reason for this. It is the outcome in many photographs of buildings that are 5 floors+.

I beg pardon to every poster here. I doubt if I am wasting everyone's time here. People come to this thread only to post or view amazing images, not for an elaborate discussion on post-processing. Sorry folks. May be I have to move to the photoshop thread if required. The only reason for me to post here was by expecting a simple solution to it, but it doesnt look like a simple one anymore. Thanks !
In Photoshop, you can try the transforms.

Copy your image from the background layer to a new layer (Ctrl+J in windows). Then goto Edit-> Transform->Skew.

Now it enters the skew mode wherein you can manually drag the bottom edges of the layer to compress the image from the bottom a bit. When you're done, press Enter.

I hope this can correct the distortion a bit. You may try other transforms like Scale, perspective and Distort as well.
Old 17th July 2009, 09:56   #6019
Team-BHP Support

I used to corrent perpective distortion via Huginm but unless you are shooting very tall buildings, it takes the zing out of arcitechture shots
Old 17th July 2009, 10:02   #6020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Gandhi
In the above shot, both HDR quality and photographic composition is missing. Nevertheless I understand that it is a trial shot, nice try. Keep them coming. All the best.
Main aim for this HDR was to get a natural looking shot (rather than to create an artistic looking image) when it was not possible by normal processes.

The view from my balcony looked exactly how it appears in the image. I know the subject isn't good, but I wanted to try .
Old 17th July 2009, 12:30   #6021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I normally use this distortion to my advantage by trying to go creative while using them. But then i dont shoot much of architecture.....By the way do you live in Sena Vihar?
Yes thats what majority do. Distortion comes to an advantage anything other than architect. Its not sena vihar. Its RMV Clusters, Bangalore North. You will hear every language of our country within its premises, so far I counted around 14 (over 200 families) ! As a rule of the universe, we have around 8 Mallu familes too. You want to know 'who scratched where'? ask a mallu.

By the way, your photo of those rocks and clouds, I was mesmerized bigtime. You stare at it for 10 seconds, you will feel like you are on an express-highway and the rocks will look like fast moving cars and trucks ! How do you do this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I hope this can correct the distortion a bit. You may try other transforms like Scale, perspective and Distort as well.
I tried few things, but the picture gets distorted bigtime. Now the complete lot is given to a professional. We thought of using them in a website, if I post it as it is, people in that block will either eat me alive or shift from there.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:09   #6022
BHPian

Shaju,

Another thing you could try is step back and take the picture. The edges of the frame would be skewed, but you can crop it to get the similar picture as in your previous photo minus the distortion. That's where more megapixels help.

EDIT: You could also step back, zoom in to get the same frame as your previous shot. Both the methods stated might work, but there will be changes in perspective.

Last edited by HellwratH : 17th July 2009 at 13:12.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:56   #6023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
My first attempt at HDR.

This is the view from my balcony. The sun was setting very fast on the horizon and the scene was perfect for human eyes. But my camera refused to capture all the details of both sky and landscape at the same time. So I decided to capture 3 images at different exposures (-2, 0, +2) and create an HDR out of it.

Here is the outcome -
Attachment 159983

The 3 images used to create this HDR can be viewed at - Picasa Web Albums - Ronak Gandhi - HDR attempt

Let me know you views.
Gandhi: Instead of spacing out the exposures by two steps (+2, -2), you could try taking 4 shots with just 1 f-stop between them. this would produce a better HDR than the current one.

When I initially started taking HDRs, the biggestt blunder I used to do was to take shots which are too much spaced out in f-stops. Later, I realized that taking few shots which are just 1 f stops from each other would actually improve the HDR quality. The rule of thumb is, the individual shots do not need to visually differ too much in terms of exposure.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:14   #6024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
You could also step back, zoom in to get the same frame as your previous shot. Both the methods stated might work, but there will be changes in perspective.
Thanks buddy, I will try that this weekend. If that can save time on playing around with the previous lot of photos, defenitely its worth trying. Clicking another set of photos is easier than clicking on the mouse a 100 times !
Old 17th July 2009, 14:25   #6025
BHPian

You are welcome Shaju, do post the pictures.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:21   #6026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Main aim for this HDR was to get a natural looking shot (rather than to create an artistic looking image) when it was not possible by normal processes.

The view from my balcony looked exactly how it appears in the image. I know the subject isn't good, but I wanted to try .
If that's the case, you are your best judge! I understood you wanted to try, hence I mentioned you the very best. Well, to my eye, the shot is missing the Dynamic Range. Realistic or surrealistic, both ways.

@clevermax
Yes. Completely agree with that.

@Shajufx
Well, I didnt quite understand your question!

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 17th July 2009 at 15:26.
Old 17th July 2009, 18:06   #6027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
You are welcome Shaju, do post the pictures.
Do you really really want pictures of some buildings that may not interest to anyone here ? I will go out this weekend and try something new for you. Atleast I dont get thrown out of this thread by die-hard DSLR guys

Quote:
Well, I didnt quite understand your question!
I was appreciating your work, not asking a question. If you got confused with my question "How do you do that?", that was an exclamation! Sometimes I feel whatever you click in your place comes out good. Is it because you are in the States ? Bangalore we sadly miss a beach !!
Old 18th July 2009, 05:08   #6028
Senior - BHPian

one taken from sony ericsson w810i.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc00707_filtered.jpg
Old 18th July 2009, 11:09   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
If that's the case, you are your best judge! I understood you wanted to try, hence I mentioned you the very best. Well, to my eye, the shot is missing the Dynamic Range. Realistic or surrealistic, both ways.
Point noted. Haven't been able to try more HDRs off late, so no progress yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Gandhi: Instead of spacing out the exposures by two steps (+2, -2), you could try taking 4 shots with just 1 f-stop between them. this would produce a better HDR than the current one.

When I initially started taking HDRs, the biggestt blunder I used to do was to take shots which are too much spaced out in f-stops. Later, I realized that taking few shots which are just 1 f stops from each other would actually improve the HDR quality. The rule of thumb is, the individual shots do not need to visually differ too much in terms of exposure.
Will try the next time I try my hands at HDR. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2009, 15:52   #6030
BHPian

A color portrait as per vivek's request.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3731541654_057ab0b810_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks