Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 13:32   #6121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Well, to my eyes it has a blue color cast. The moon in your picture appears too white. To naked eyes, Moon looks a bit yellow, doesn't it?

It must be your WB settings, who's the culprit here.

I have not done any color adjustments in the picture that I've posted. Just worked on the brightness (RGB) curve, so it might have increased the saturation a little bit, but the hue is the same as that of the original RAW image.

i am not too sure why it appears so bright to our naked eyes as well as in photos. but some 2 days back, we 5 friends while having a walk in the night were discussing that why moon is appearing so bright these days. just behind my home there is a levy, which is basically all dark as no street lights are there, it literally lits the whole levy with so much light that we don't feel like walking in the dark. trust me, it appears so bright, because of which it looks more white than yellow to all of us. i have other photos too that shows the moon appears somewhat yellow. but those photos were taken on other days when it is not full.

and may be the wb settings(before this it was used for birthday party) have been changed but to the naked eyes the moon appears bright as well. so i am confused who is the culprit here.

here is a quickie from my side. just went out and clicked some photos of moon by changing some wb settings. its bone stock except for cropping. let me know how it looks compared to yours.

here is the exif

f number:f/4.5
exposure time: 1/250 sec
focal length: 78mm
metering mode: pattern.

ps: i am not trying to prove anything. just thinking a bit aloud - 'does moon's brightness vary from country to country' or my camera is bad?
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc02258.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th August 2009 at 14:00.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:47   #6122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
sorry missed out the 20 mins deadline to edit. mods can merge it if they can with my previous message.

here is a quickie from my side. just went out and clicked some photos of moon by changing some wb settings. its bone stock except for cropping. let me know how it looks compared to yours.

here is the exif

f number:f/4.5
exposure time: 1/250 sec
focal length: 78mm
metering mode: pattern.

ps: i am not trying to prove anything. just thinking a bit aloud - 'does moon's brightness vary from country to country' or my camera is bad?
Nice & Sharp picture there. The moon was definitely not this bright or 'white' when I had a look at the night sky yesterday night. Probably it depends on what time we look at it. It was 8:45 PM or so (Aug 06) and the viewing angle was about 35-40 degrees to the horizontal. May be Moon will become more bright as it rises more. The brightness also could depend on how polluted or dusty the local sky is? well, but in my area dust is far too less compared to much dry terrains in the north.

Another thing I noticed is the orientation of moon's textures in your picture compared to mine is different. Compare the location of the big asteroid hit area (is that it?) at the bottom. Even though we get to see only one face of moon always from earth, there are differences in what we are seeing - may be it depends on the time.

BTW, there's some notable CA around the right and left edges of the moon, in your picture.. didn't you center the moon in your original frame?

Last edited by clevermax : 7th August 2009 at 13:50.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:36   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice & Sharp picture there. The moon was definitely not this bright or 'white' when I had a look at the night sky yesterday night. Probably it depends on what time we look at it. It was 8:45 PM or so (Aug 06) and the viewing angle was about 35-40 degrees to the horizontal. May be Moon will become more bright as it rises more. The brightness also could depend on how polluted or dusty the local sky is? well, but in my area dust is far too less compared to much dry terrains in the north.

Another thing I noticed is the orientation of moon's textures in your picture compared to mine is different. Compare the location of the big asteroid hit area (is that it?) at the bottom. Even though we get to see only one face of moon always from earth, there are differences in what we are seeing - may be it depends on the time.

BTW, there's some notable CA around the right and left edges of the moon, in your picture.. didn't you center the moon in your original frame?
the time i clicked on both days was between 11 pm to 12.15 am. today it was around 12am when i started clicking. the previous one was clicked around 11 pm.

both the times the viewing angle was almost the same. give or take few degrees. ya could be because of pollution. as it clicked from levy, it is devoid of any pollution as no vehicles are allowed in that area. but anywhere i go it looks the same. ain't sure about that one.

in all my photos, the explosion of asteroid hit is at the bottom only. so i am viewing from that angle all the time. yours is a bit towards right. wonder how is that. also these ones are hand held.

i hurriedly cropped the image so forgot to align it in center after cropping from all the sides. will that affect the brightness? don't think so.

also my exposure time is 1/250 sec, yours is 1/800 so may be that's why mine is brighter than your? as mine will allow more light to pass through shutter than yours? i think whenever i went over 1/600 it use to become dark like yours. so may be that's the reason. its really intriguing thinking about this.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:11   #6124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
also my exposure time is 1/250 sec, yours is 1/800 so may be that's why mine is brighter than your? as mine will allow more light to pass through shutter than yours? i think whenever i went over 1/600 it use to become dark like yours. so may be that's the reason. its really intriguing thinking about this.
The minimum ISO speed I can get is 100. In your case its lesser, so I have to use a higher shutter speed than yours for the same brightness of the subject... but I increased it even from 1/500 to ensure than no part of the moon is blown out. Yes, one reason why my picture is darker.
Old 7th August 2009, 20:18   #6125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I am not sure, but 'gimp' will surely have that feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
GIMP does not have this feature. However another open source program has this feature, and a lot more
hugin - Panorama photo stitcher
It can do perspective correction too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Thats a cool software tsk, panorama are my favorites, good you asked this question deky.
Thank you guys, will download hugin and see if i can get a hang of it!!
Old 8th August 2009, 20:29   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to tsk1979's suggestion, I tried using HUGIN to create a panorama from 5 images.

I know a lot can be done in balancing the EV of the various merged images, but what do you guys think considering its my first try??

Suggestions plss!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-z.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 22:43   #6127
lsp
BHPian

Identify the place

Title explains it all.
The Official non-auto Image thread-identify.jpg
C'mon people
Old 9th August 2009, 06:14   #6128
BHPian

Multiple places can have such scenery in winter, 2 prominent options
1. Canadian Rockies
2. Alps in Europe
3. American Rockies in Colorado area
Old 9th August 2009, 10:03   #6129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
1. Canadian Rockies
2. Alps in Europe
I go with the second option, Alps in Europe.
Old 9th August 2009, 11:08   #6130
BHPian

Some clicks i could manage in last weekend :

Although it could've been better composed, i like the way it has turned out.
Ohh.. and couldn't find a nice caption for this one.. suggestions ??
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_0259_1_small.jpg

While enjoying a smoke, spotted this one dog standing in the middle of the road far away..
The Official non-auto Image thread-kiska-rasta-dekhe.jpg

A foggy afternoon at Bombay point can look pretty frightening..
Have de-saturated this pic just for the look. Otherwise the colour pic is not as frightening :P
The Official non-auto Image thread-foggy-afternoon.jpg

Last, but not the least, cna anyone suggest me better way to photograph the moss growth on tree trunks without a Macro lens ? One of my attempts has this results :
The Official non-auto Image thread-moss_1.jpg

Brick-bats/ Bouquets - welcome !!!

Last edited by hkanitkar : 9th August 2009 at 11:11.
Old 9th August 2009, 11:29   #6131
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
1. Canadian Rockies
2. Alps in Europe
Quote:
I go with the second option, Alps in Europe.
Yes thats right. Its the Bavarian Alps and that is a frozen lake near a very famous castle in Bavaria.
Old 9th August 2009, 20:42   #6132
Senior - BHPian

Here's a PP'ed version of the Museum@Trivandrum image which I had posted earlier.

The Official non-auto Image thread-museumtvmhdrwide.jpg
Old 9th August 2009, 21:40   #6133
BHPian

lsp,
Lovely shot. The blue patch in the center is the river?

Hkanitkar,
Second one's my pic. Awesome composition and the dog adds a lot to it.

Clevermax,
Orton effect is it? I like it.

BTW, where is TG? Must be at Hawaii with his 50mm doing a model shoot. :P TG, do check the rules/regulations before posting the models in bikini.

Here is one I took today at Lalbagh, kinda abstract shot. The original bg was more cooler (bluish) than this post processed one. Please don't mind the picture size.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-abstract1.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 22:35   #6134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

Clevermax,
Orton effect is it? I like it.
Yes, you got it right. I like that effect very much. The out of focus image used to blend with the original image is a Gaussian blurred version of the original itself.

The effect you see on the boy who walks over is because the image is an HDR, made from 4 shots. The boy is only there in one of the individual shots.
Old 9th August 2009, 22:41   #6135
BHPian

Clevermax,

Interesting. I use orton effect (the same technique as yours with the gaussian blur and changing the blending option to usually "overlay") on portraits only. Have never tried it on landscapes/structures. Plan to use it with some flower shots that I got off Lalbagh today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks