Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 09:55   #6151
BHPian

The Official non-auto Image thread-vanchi.jpg
The Noise in the picture is because it was taken in normal JPG format instead of Raw.
The Official non-auto Image thread-landscape-shot.jpg
Old 12th August 2009, 10:27   #6152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
And here comes one (three of the same type) of the flowers from Lalbagh flower show. I only had my nifty fifty and this is what came out of it. I love this flower, because of the shades and the kind of dreamy look it portrays.
This look's like a electrical flower. Very nice photography.
Old 12th August 2009, 11:38   #6153
BHPian

Thank you for liking it Clevermax and rjvora.

Clevermax,

No special processing here. Just cropped (for composition), levels and curves. I think the flowers are so beautiful that they do need anything extra to make them look awesome. Realizing that simplicity is the key. About all three flowers being in focus, I stepped a little back, used a narrower aperture. May be it was the angle of the shot as well. Will post the EXIF data tonight as it's not with me as of now.
Old 12th August 2009, 13:41   #6154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Attachment 173203
The Noise in the picture is because it was taken in normal JPG format instead of Raw.
Attachment 173204
Hmm.. actually a jpeg will have less noise than the RAW image of the same frame, if the NR is On. The NR works only for the jpeg images. The RAW images are 'as is' or what your sensor actually see, without any further processing - no NR, no WB, no creative style nothing, at least that's how it is in my camera.

I have a RAW + Jepg mode in my camera and it generates a RAW image and a Jpeg image for every click. For high ISO shots, I can easily notice that the RAW image is having the original image noise but the Jpeg having significantly less noise because of NR being turned on.

BTW, I don't see much of an image noise in your pictures.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2009 at 13:47.
Old 12th August 2009, 13:43   #6155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Hmm.. actually a jpeg will have less noise than the RAW image of the same frame, if the NR is On. The NR works only for the jpeg images. The RAW images are 'as is' or what your sensor actually see, without any further processing - no NR, no WB, no creative style nothing, at least that's how it is in my camera.
Slight correction there. Nr is definitely more in JPEG, but many cams do Noise reduction for "RAW" also.
With the advent of High MP APS-C sensors, noise reduction in RAW has also started, unless you specifically choose "Off" in the custom settings
Old 12th August 2009, 13:51   #6156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Slight correction there. Nr is definitely more in JPEG, but many cams do Noise reduction for "RAW" also.
With the advent of High MP APS-C sensors, noise reduction in RAW has also started, unless you specifically choose "Off" in the custom settings
Thanks for the info tsk1979. That's why I mentioned "at least that's how it is, in my camera"!

What about the WB and other creative styles (sepia etc) ? Are there cameras that apply these also to the RAW images they produce?
Old 12th August 2009, 13:56   #6157
Team-BHP Support

WB etc., do not matter in RAW. when you have RAW you have full information from sensor, so you can set any WB
As for creative styles, they are basically filters. When you do sepia, you filter out selectively, desaturate and give yellow tint.
B&W is saturation, Landscape mode is just boosting blues and greens.
So in your software if you have RAW you can choose the creative style you need, and the JPEG will have that style.
Memory is cheap, so if hardware, so do not cripply your camera by shooting JPEG. Always shoot RAW. I have had some great shots which would have been useless if I hadn't shot RAW. For example, I can overexpose waterfalls in RAW to get dreamy effect and later pull down exposure by 1 stop.
Many of my long exposure night shots are pulled up later by half stop or so.

For those who do not have Canon DPP(excellent program), rawtherapee is a great free software to process RAWs!
Old 12th August 2009, 14:05   #6158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Memory is cheap, so if hardware, so do not cripply your camera by shooting JPEG. Always shoot RAW. I have had some great shots which would have been useless if I hadn't shot RAW. For example, I can overexpose waterfalls in RAW to get dreamy effect and later pull down exposure by 1 stop.
Many of my long exposure night shots are pulled up later by half stop or so.
Completely agree with that, even I have some keeper shots in RAW which would've been useless shots if I had taken them only in Jpeg. Yes, the f stops, pseudo HDR processing, there are many possibilities.

An example from the same thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1412903

In Jpeg, the sky looks so dull and blown out. But procesed a pseudo HDR from the RAW and the sky looks properly exposed and colorful.

But on the other hand, RAW shooting increases your PP time, and if you are out shooting 100s of pictures in a day, it will be a pain if you have to PP all those into jpegs. That's why I always use RAW+Jpeg. I'll take the nice looking Jpegs and process some of the RAW files to make even nicer images than their jpeg counterparts can ever produce with any PP.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th August 2009 at 14:11.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:11   #6159
BHPian

@Hellwrath
One of the best flower images I have ever seen. Well done.

These pelicans were wrecking havoc at the pier today evening. Caught with 70-200 f 2.8
The Official non-auto Image thread-3813578099_654d2df56c_b.jpg

Effects of too much Bacardi
The Official non-auto Image thread-3807490332_ae54b5803f_b.jpg

Regards,
TG.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:14   #6160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Hellwrath
One of the best flower images I have ever seen. Well done.

These pelicans were wrecking havoc at the pier today evening. Caught with 70-200 f 2.8
Attachment 173338

Effects of too much Bacardi
Attachment 173342

Regards,
TG.
Good catch there TG, with the pelican!

OMG!! Is he burning his own leg?!!
Old 12th August 2009, 14:19   #6161
BHPian

@clevermax
I had taken a break since I had my exams, plus was busy with work. I am doing pro photo work now

Haha, no its just the barbecue grill thats in front him,...My friend was a little high which lead him to believe he had mystical powers , hence the shot.

Two more from the pelican set
The Official non-auto Image thread-3814389350_0bec9a6772_b.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-3814389050_c1d129bb2e_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 12th August 2009 at 14:21.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:27   #6162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
... plus was busy with work. I am doing pro photo work now
Wow. you're so lucky to be able to make money out of the things which you have a passion for, unlike my current situation
Mind sharing more about your work?

Nice shot again, the wings almost touch the water.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:37   #6163
BHPian

Just basic portrait and event stuff for now, Summer vacation is on, so I am stepping on the gas Also I am doing direction of photography for a couple of student visual effect short films. Pretty interesting,, yes and about the luck factor you mentioned...well, i just thank god. Here is a shot from a recent shoot, that was omitted from the final set.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3810986123_fa3ebe316f_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 12th August 2009 at 14:41.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:21   #6164
BHPian

TG,

WOW! Amazing portrait that. Please let me know when you are in town (Bangalore), I have to learn a lotta stuff from you. And thank you for liking my picture. It's an achievement getting such a comment from you.

P.S: You sing well. May be we need to start a thread for sharing own compositions? What say?
Old 12th August 2009, 16:51   #6165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
And here comes one (three of the same type) of the flowers from Lalbagh flower show..
Its too good, I cant find words to express ! First I thought there are some kind of LEDs fitted inside the petals, but shockingly realised its natural. Too dreamy kind, any idea about the names of these flowers ? I have never seen them so far, well captured and excellent !

TG; As usual great ones, so you personally know some Pelicans and few beautiful faces around !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks