Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 15:06   #5731
BHPian

@ Torque & Nomad - thanks for the information. would try these. i also downloaded picassa, but still to explore what all it can do.

on another note i had a question to the members and it may sound silly -

if we take a shot and then use software like an adobe photosop to process/touch up/alter/modify/dress up (whatever the right word is) then what good is the photographer, Or is this done to correct limitation of the equipment being used to shoot?
Old 18th June 2009, 16:05   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Photographing kids is too tough a task, very true ! I usually click couple of dozens so that atlest 2 or 3 will come out good enough.
The Official non-auto Image thread-jn07.jpg
Taken in 2007 with a 2 MP camera !
Old 18th June 2009, 16:31   #5733
BHPian

Shaju,

Wonderful shot. conveys the feeling so well. TFS.
Old 18th June 2009, 18:16   #5734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
@ Torque & Nomad - thanks for the information. would try these. i also downloaded picassa, but still to explore what all it can do.

if we take a shot and then use software like an adobe photosop to process/touch up/alter/modify/dress up (whatever the right word is) then what good is the photographer, Or is this done to correct limitation of the equipment being used to shoot?
You can export a jpeg to a smaller resolution using picasa.

I believe in post processing. IMO, it is very important, may not be as important as shooting the image though. Sometimes PP is required for bringing the maximum out of a photograph. Anyway, composing a good image is very important, and Photoshop can't help you with that - thus you require good photographic skills. You can post process good pictures and bad pictures, but it can be comapred to a pretty woman applying makeup and a not-so-pretty woman applying the same makeup.

Post processing is not something which came up with digital photography. There are post procesing techniques which film photograhers do, I believe it existed from the initial days of photography.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th June 2009 at 18:21.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:51   #5735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Maven,
More than the equipment it is the conditions, the subject etc.
Photography is all about creativity. Before a good photograph is captured by the camera it is first conceived and captured by the brain (yes this is a nice frame, a very good composition or a good array of colours etc.) to take our creativity to another level beyond the camera, post processing is an added canvas for the artist to work on. It should not take away marks if a photograph has gone through PP for enhancement and if originality of the photograph is not tampered with.
This is my personal view, others may vary.
regards,
Old 18th June 2009, 20:03   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Torque & Nomad
I hope you are talking about post processing and not photoshopping.

compared to a human eye, a camera has very limited capabilities. that's why after taking photos one needs to play with the data to bring out the best in image so it look as good as seen with human eyes (sometimes better than that). a good photograph to begin with is the basic ingredient, has to be there.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:04   #5737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Wonderful shot. conveys the feeling so well. TFS.
Thanks for the compliment, I wish I could learn everything in 1 year. Just started my DSLR journey 1 month back !

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There are post procesing techniques which film photograhers do, I believe it existed from the initial days of photography.
Very true. I can still recall photographers sit and work on a film negative with pins and brushes to avoid pimples, skin lines, discoloring etc. around 30 years back (my school days). So, post processing could be as old as the invention of still camera films.
Old 18th June 2009, 23:40   #5738
BHPian

@Shajufx
Awesome one, good job.

@Clevermax
Yeah most of the digital processes have their equivalent film processes, but some are purely digital as well.

@Torqy
Haha, they bring you to your knees i guess!

The Official non-auto Image thread-3634812655_f85d239908_b.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-3634808285_178c492778_b.jpg

Regards,
TG.
Old 19th June 2009, 08:08   #5739
BHPian

@Shaju, very good catch of the emotion.That one tear from the eye gives many meanings.
@TG, excellent pp as usual. Liked that expression in first shot a lot.

While at the topic of kids, here is a pic from old files:
There is a small colony of construction workers nearby my office. My habit of solitary evening walks took me oneday through it. I found this pair of friends merrily dashing to a small shop nearby their home,with their little pocket 'paisa' in hand. They bought a sweet, one for each, contended, started walking back. That's when they posed for me:
The Official non-auto Image thread-littlegirls.jpg
Old 19th June 2009, 08:33   #5740
Team-BHP Support

Excellent one there deetee. But I'm somehow not for this kind of treatment. Their expression are so natural as it is. Do you really need to highlight that by this process? Well, it's my opinion only. I would be really happy to capture emotion like this. Very well done.

Peep. At Thakthok monastery. Again from old stock.

The Official non-auto Image thread-peep.jpg
Old 19th June 2009, 13:17   #5741
BHPian

@deetee
I dont think your selective coloring works here...leaving it black and white would have been a cooler idea in my opinion as well.
@Rudra
Is that a little bit of halo I see near the stone block on the left? The lines in the frame are intriguing..nice.

I think I am in portrait mode now I just went for a walk today along the streets San Francisco and met some interesting people.
This is Marta, shes 87 years old....has no one to care for and to be cared by, she is homeless and the streets of San Francisco is what she calls her home.. the few minutes i spoke with her, she was so glad that someone had actually stopped by to say a hi. At end of it I made a new friend and she gladly smiled for a photograph.
The Official non-auto Image thread-3640105703_a501319ede_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 19th June 2009 at 13:18.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:25   #5742
Team-BHP Support

Nice portrait TG. Looks really good.

Now where do you see halo? Above that mast base? That was the brightest part of the sky.

Since we're talking halo, please repair that area next to left arm.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:38   #5743
BHPian

Yeah i noticed it but after posting, damn!
One more
The Official non-auto Image thread-3640101769_ff1e0db800_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 19th June 2009 at 13:52.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:56   #5744
BHPian

Rudraji and TG,
Thank you for the encouraging comments and criticism.
Here is the original colour snap and below it the b/w version. Please comment as to which of the two looks better:
The Official non-auto Image thread-littlegirls_01.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-littlegirls_bw.jpg

TG,
I think I see some halo around the hair band of the woman too,apart from shoulders.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:58   #5745
BHPian

@Deetee
Much better!

Well, thats not halo actually..its the occluded bokeh behind her.

Most Viewed