Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 22:09   #6301
Senior - BHPian

Some more D300 low-light shots

I shot some more pictures with the D300 with 35-70 F/3.3~4.5 Nikkor AF lens. This is a very old lens that came as a kit lens with my F-801.

All the pictures are with their EXIF info. There has been no PP as I don't believe in it. I've only cropped some images. Your comments are solicited.

Metering: Matrix
Mode: P
Shutter: 1/30
Aperture: 4.5
ISO: Auto - 320
Focal Length: 70mm
WB: Auto

The Official non-auto Image thread-bcg_1358.jpg

Aperture: 3.8
ISO: Auto - 500
Focal Length: 52mm

The Official non-auto Image thread-bcg_1367.jpg

ISO: Auto - 200
Flash: In-built TTL

The Official non-auto Image thread-bcg_1376.jpg

Aperture: 3.8
ISO: Auto - 200
Focal Length: 52mm

The Official non-auto Image thread-bcg_1382.jpg

ISO: Auto - 450

The Official non-auto Image thread-bcg_1383.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th August 2009 at 22:10.
Old 26th August 2009, 22:13   #6302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@Tg- thanks for sharing the tutorial

@hellwrath- Cool Thanks i will try it out

@guyonblackybx- oops, didnt check earlier. I have CS4, I will try it out.
@Techno

Here is how you can use PS (CS4 can do 360 degree/spherical panoramas too.)

File-> Automate-> Photomerge..

Here choose "Interactive layout" to have more control over the merg.

Another Panorama clicked on same day as the previous image. But this one is a 180 degree vertical panorama.

Tweaked it on curves

Its original PSD turned out a monster of 138MB. Had to reduce the resolution to minmum.

PS is very effective even if its hand held and with minor change in exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-180-degree-vertial-panorama-060609-curves-small.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 00:04   #6303
Team-BHP Support

The road from Subramanya to Uppinangady sometime early this month.

Shot using Panasonic FX-36.

Good Road

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1010478.jpg

Bad Road

The Official non-auto Image thread-p1010495.jpg
Old 27th August 2009, 00:42   #6304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The road from Subramanya to Uppinangady sometime early this month.
first one after one third crop from bottom looks awsome.
The Official non-auto Image thread-p1010478.jpg
Old 27th August 2009, 07:28   #6305
BHPian

i like that crop much better than the original.
Old 27th August 2009, 08:00   #6306
Senior - BHPian

@guyonblackybx- Thanks Buddy, I will give ita shot over the weekend

I too liked treatment given by Vivek to Samurai's pic

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th August 2009 at 12:44. Reason: Now I know what crop means
Old 27th August 2009, 08:45   #6307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
first one after one third crop from bottom looks awsome.
I have to agree it does look better. But mine is not original either, I had cropped it to fit my desktop resolution of 1920x1080.

Funny thing though, although FX-36 is a 10MP camera, I keep it at 5MP just to limit the file size. Doesn't have any effect on image quality though.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:04   #6308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
There has been no PP as I don't believe in it. I've only cropped some images. Your comments are solicited.
There is no (digital) photography life without post processing. Post processing existed even from the initial days of photography.

All your images tend to look a bit soft. It could be the blur because you have used low shutter speeds (1/30). Don't you have IS (or VR) turned on? And because of this reason, pictures look as if they are from a P&S rather than from a DSLR. No offense meant but just my opinion.

D300 is well capable of delivering outstanding image quality even at higher ISOs. So in these low light situations, may be you could use a higher ISo setting and increase the shutter speed accordingly.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:10   #6309
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax: Thanks for your views and much appreciated; no offense taken either..

I've never done PP, even when pursuing my hobby when films were in vogue. PP glosses over your mistakes while delivering stunning results. Not for me though. I like my shoots the way I take and in prevailing conditions. Mistakes or no mistakes.

I've deliberately used the low shutter speeds because I wanted to do some low-light snaps. The two lenses that I used - 18-135 AF-S & 35-70 AF are both non VR; especially the latter lens. That came as a kit lens with my F-801 and in those days OS, IS or VR were unheard of.

If you shall see the EXIF, I selected Auto-ISO for the setting and you shall note that the ISO values had been changing instead of the shutter & aperture..

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There is no (digital) photography life without post processing. Post processing existed even from the initial days of photography.

All your images tend to look a bit soft. It could be the blur because you have used low shutter speeds (1/30). Don't you have IS (or VR) turned on? And because of this reason, pictures look as if they are from a P&S rather than from a DSLR. No offense meant but just my opinion.

D300 is well capable of delivering outstanding image quality even at higher ISOs. So in these low light situations, may be you could use a higher ISo setting and increase the shutter speed accordingly.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:52   #6310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The two lenses that I used - 18-135 AF-S & 35-70 AF are both non VR; especially the latter lens. That came as a kit lens with my F-801 and in those days OS, IS or VR were unheard of.
Image stabilization (in general) is a much needed feature indeed. Without that, you need to be having real steady hands while clicking. Even if you have, shots like this (low shutter speed) tend to become blurry without IS. Isn't there an option for sensor stabilization in Nikons? So if you use an old lens with no VR, that means you are literally deprived of IS?

Few comparisons that will make you go for a VR lens next time.

http://www.thinkcamera.com/news/imag...REVIEW-SSS.jpg
http://www.markcassino.com/b2evoluti...ia/sr_comp.jpg

I always use SSS (super steady shot) unless I am taking a long exposure shot with camera placed somewhere or on tripod.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:09   #6311
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing called sensor stabilisation in Nikon. It has VR - vibration reduction but that is built in the lens like that in other brands such as Canon. It is only the Olympus that offers OS/IS in the camera body.

Older lenses didn't have VR. It is only the new generation lenses that have VR and that too not in all.

Which camera offers SSR? What gear do you use?

Quote:
Isn't there an option for sensor stabilization in Nikons? So if you use an old lens with no VR, that means you are literally deprived of IS?

I always use SSS (super steady shot) unless I am taking a long exposure shot with camera placed somewhere or on tripod.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:14   #6312
BHPian

@Gd1418
Oh man, I am your opposite! I love PP! Its pretty awesome to see the variety of approaches we photographers have towards approaching our art.
To me, PP is like polishing a diamond, not covering up a stone with shiny material. So yeah, better to start of with a diamond for it to reach it's potential shine!

One of my over the top post processed pictures. Love it or hate it

The Official non-auto Image thread-3841396076_a4c133433b_b.jpg

Regards,
TG.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:35   #6313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have to agree it does look better. But mine is not original either, I had cropped it to fit my desktop resolution of 1920x1080.

Funny thing though, although FX-36 is a 10MP camera, I keep it at 5MP just to limit the file size. Doesn't have any effect on image quality though.
I do that all the time, in 5 MP camera i often reduce the image size to 1 MP or 3 MP. the image quality comes out much better than a native 3 MP or 1 MP cam, probably because the cam resizes it preserving all the details. and our monitors never need a bigger size than 1 MP, so no need for me to store bigger sizes.

what happened was I looked at your post and was mesmerized by the photo, but the effect was lost as I kept scrolling down , so decided to crop it right there.

on the flip side, the point of good road, bad road would have been lost if you had cropped it.

EDIT: @TG, PP is fine but what are you trying to convey with crimson 'pugmarks' (or "pug chinh"). looks straight out of a horror movie !

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 27th August 2009 at 14:38. Reason: comment for TG
Old 27th August 2009, 14:38   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing called sensor stabilization in Nikon. It has VR - vibration reduction but that is built in the lens like that in other brands such as Canon. It is only the Olympus that offers OS/IS in the camera body.
Older lenses didn't have VR. It is only the new generation lenses that have VR and that too not in all.
Which camera offers SSR? What gear do you use?
Sony Alpha series also offers sensor stabilization. Yes, I use Alpha 200. I see it as an advantage over having VR in lens - you are forced to use a lens with VR to get Image stabilization - whereas I can use any old lens (I use one) and still get advantages of Super steady shot.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:56   #6315
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax: please don't take my statement otherwise. When I started photography as a hobby the only brands that I had heard was Leica, Pentax, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Fujiya, Zenza Bronica & Agfa (I've a bellowed Agfa). The more popular lenses were Carl-Zeiss.

The only Sony camera I had heard quite later was a Mavica. I didn't know till late that they made SLRs as well.

Is the SS in your Sony similar to what Olympus offers?

Sometimes I feel that too much of technology takes out the fun. While autofocus is a great help in tight situations and Mode P does the most for you, the fun of adjusting A & S and then turning the focus ring is lost most of the times..

Like TG said that he loves PP, approach of various photographers to their art is varied and different.

Quote:
Sony Alpha series also offers sensor stabilization. Yes, I use Alpha 200. I see it as an advantage over having VR in lens - you are forced to use a lens with VR to get Image stabilization - whereas I can use any old lens (I use one) and still get advantages of Super steady shot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks