Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 18:07   #15301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

I am going to take part in few on the spot photography competitions in coming month but I don't know what all happens in such events. Please let me know how should I prepare? Can i use automatic settings that time or it should be done manually in front of judges. Please guide me.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:48   #15302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I too noticed it yesterday when I went to those 2007 posts. I was a bit stunned to notice you too were a novice once on this thread, I had forgotten. I too have to credit TBHP members for drastically improving my photography.
Add me to the group. I cant say if I have improved, but I surely have learnt. I got hold of my DSLR, through expert advices of folks here. In fact I was not even contemplating having one.
But things just happened and one thing lead to another. I think it was almost the same time me and Chethan Ram got our cameras. He got a D90 while I got a 550D.
And I have seen how his work has progressed. Its been amazing.

I have at least learnt to appreciate the subtlety of details. I at least a try to have a vigilant photographic eye all the time.

Last edited by ampere : 24th January 2013 at 18:56.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:15   #15303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Excellent one, It looks like a studio shot. Have you used any soft light for the face ?
Thanks! Yes, a flash (SB-28) was used for this one. I had a Cheetha Qbox 24 softbox for this one (http://www.cheetahstand.com/Cheetah-...-Pro-p/q24.htm). I love this softbox as it folds down to such a small case and is easy to carry around. I can put it in a backpack and take it anywhere.

Quote:
I too noticed it yesterday when I went to those 2007 posts. I was a bit stunned to notice you too were a novice once on this thread, I had forgotten. I too have to credit TBHP members for drastically improving my photography. Mine happened off the forum, at first by S Pathak who pushed me to understand exposure. He insisted I understand and use only spot metering until I can spot meter a view with my eyes. He was a film user and was yet to make the switch to digital.

Check Pathak's gear: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1251692

Also, knowing every setting of a camera is not as important as knowing photography: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post865130

Only after practicing serious photography for a year, I could start understanding Rudra's tips, not before that.

45mm?
I am still a novice . I was talking to Kaushik (kaushik_s) yesterday about this and told him that what I am still so far away from producing the black and white photographs that Rudra produced in 2007! Though, my interests keep shifting, I still aspire to become half as good as Rudra (for landscapes) and Ram (Image) for flora photography.

I remember your posts about SPathak and I was laughing when I saw the debate about gear and skill with Mayavi. I think, not much has changed in that respect. Also, this place has made professionals from amateurs. I remember seeing TG's first photo on here and now his work is like a million times better. Some of the credit to what I have learn also goes to him. His critique helped me understand the finer aspects of communicating through an image.

The photo was shot with a Fuji X-Pro1 + 35mm. Last weekend I made some photos with the OM-D and 45mm, they're at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Time flies. It is now over 4 years since I joined TBHP in Oct 2008. And yes I fully agree with you. I have learned more here than on most other internet fora including some like Nikonians where I am a contributing (subscription) member. The quality of posts and Moderation at TBHP is simply excellent. On the other hand DPReview disappoints me the most. A majority of the posts in the Nikon sub forums are very childish and there's hardly any action by their Mods.

I like! The child being really cute also helps.

Very good advice HW. Lighting and composition are the 2 bedrocks of photography.
True that. I hardly go to dpreview these days. I come here, read the posts and then the rest of the time is spent on JJ Mehta forum or on mu-43. Both these forums have excellent people talking about photography and the breadth of photographers in terms of style and genres is amazing.

Yes, he's extremely cute. It took three adults making faces to get him to smile and pose though. His dad was to my right, that's the reason he's looking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I am going to take part in few on the spot photography competitions in coming month but I don't know what all happens in such events. Please let me know how should I prepare? Can i use automatic settings that time or it should be done manually in front of judges. Please guide me.
Just go have fun, that's the only advice I can give you. Make friends and don't worry if you are unable to submit anything too. Enjoy the experience. The judges usually don't care about the mode but the story, so get a photograph that tells the story for a theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Add me to the group. I cant say if I have improved, but I surely have learnt. I got hold of my DSLR, through expert advices of folks here. In fact I was not even contemplating having one.
But things just happened and one thing lead to another. I think it was almost the same time me and Chethan Ram got our cameras. He got a D90 while I got a 550D.
And I have seen how his work has progressed. Its been amazing.

I have at least learnt to appreciate the subtlety of details. I at least a try to have a vigilant photographic eye all the time.
I remember the posts about how you guys met up and went to buy the cameras. I don't see Chethan these days, may be he's busy riding his cycle around the town?

Last weekend was a big deal in this area (Washington DC / North Virginia) because of the inauguration. Which means crowd and tourists and that means I get to do street photography. These are from that day:

The Official non-auto Image thread-8404687786_641d198c56_c.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-8404687852_0dfaab0cea_c.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-8403594597_41896a2aea_c.jpg

The above three were shot with OM-D and 45mm and mostly wide open if I remember correctly. That lens is very very sharp.

The bottom one was shot with X-Pro1 and 35mm. I call it "Neo / Mr.Anderson":

The Official non-auto Image thread-8404687730_a173a5bf57_c.jpg

I am slowly getting over my inhibition of shooting in crowd. Also, having a group of street photographers around you helps. I am making new friends on the field and that's good because they are so much more experienced are able to guide me.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:30   #15304
BHPian

From my recent trip to Tadoba/TATR.
Couple of Leopard, Tiger sightings and mild birding (Yellow footed green pigeons and Osprey)
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-_mg_1226-ds-small.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-_mg_1310-ds-small.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-_mg_0362-ds-small.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-_mg_9992-ds-small.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-_mg_9995-ds-small.jpg  

Last edited by guyonblackybx : 25th January 2013 at 16:32. Reason: Forgot to include Bird IDs
Old 25th January 2013, 17:26   #15305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A late evening shot from a moving car while going up the ghats of Nainital, Uttarakhand
Spectacular shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hope everyone is doing great here ! Its been a long long time. I just thought of doing a quick update on my new body D600 to my friends here. Its an awesome camera, bang for the buck. Now 2 full frame bodies will do my routine shoots (D700 & D600). Here is a test, one of the first few images. Cam yet to hit the field
Attachment 1039034
ATB on your 600 boss. Nice shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice hazy shot jacs. Can you point the location on Google map?
That would really help as I can associate to the location more easily.
Thanks Ampere. Let me try to locate this spot in the maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Clicked this last week when I was in Abu Dhabi. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.

Attachment 1040641
Nice one. HDR shot or PP?

Nice story there bluevolt. Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Sunbird @ Okhla bird sanctuary.

Attachment 1041381
Nice one there v&v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Anyway, here's one photograph that is probably my favorite photo of 2012. I know the background sucks, but I like the light. More than that I like the expression on my kiddo nephew's face. What do you guys think? And, this is SOOC JPEG:

Attachment 1041805

To everyone who is just starting their journey of making memories through photographs, always remember that light makes all the difference in your photographs. Get the right light and be there at the right time to see how your photos start taking a different life altogether.
He's so cute Veeresh and offcourse your shot gave him his full glory. I would've used it as my Christmas Greetings if I recieved it earlier
Old 25th January 2013, 19:15   #15306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Last weekend I made some photos with the OM-D and 45mm, they're at the end of this post....I am slowly getting over my inhibition of shooting in crowd.
Nice to hear your updates buddy ! I thought you were already master of streets long back, love your humility. The close up of the white beard face is too good. Details are amazing. Each time you show off the OM-D here, I get enticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
....ATB on your 600 boss. Nice shot....
Thanks bro, I know you have been travelling crazy, but not much is seen these days, collecting everything for a surprise show ?

Here is one from D600 outdoors.
The Official non-auto Image thread-pry.jpg
Old 26th January 2013, 06:10   #15307
BHPian

I clicked some photos of my niece and nephew when I met them last month. It was their study time. Pratham (nephew) was doing his math homework and Khushi (niece) was trying to memorise the multiplication table for 7 using kidney beans. She was making groups of 7 and counting them, I was too busy trying to capture their moods and expressions to figure out what she was really upto!

Here she is drooling over the Jag F-type
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0501.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0504.jpg

I call this one "Freedom from Keys". How I wish I could go back to those days!
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0508.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0512.jpg

The kidney bean count in progress
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0517.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0550.jpg

Random shot, I liked the angle and I could see the hint of a smile on Pratham's face through the viewfinder, I decided to click hoping it will come out well. Is it recognisable ?
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0534.jpg

My final shot, she finished her homework, I finished mine
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_0516.jpg

All the above photos were clicked using Canon EOS 600D and 50mm f1.8 cheapy lens. This was my first go at the lens after I bought it, I find the photos a bit soft in focus. Not sure if I am not using it at the best f-stop. As far as I remember, all the above photos were between f1.8 and f4. I had to open the lens for faster shutter speeds in turn to avoid camera shake.

Any pointers from the gurus to utilise this lens better ?
Old 26th January 2013, 11:00   #15308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post
As far as I remember, all the above photos were between f1.8 and f4. I had to open the lens for faster shutter speeds in turn to avoid camera shake.

I have seen if I use it at f 1.8, the depth of field is so shallow, that, anything around the focussed region looks soft. May be that can be one of the reasons. Even I have experienced this.
Try shooting at f 2.2/2.8. That should solve it a bit.

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2013 at 11:01.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:49   #15309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its been a long long time. I just thought of doing a quick update on my new body D600 to my friends here. Here is a test, one of the first few images.
Shajufx, welcome back to the world of TBHP long time no see.

Congrats on the new camera and that's a nice pic
Old 27th January 2013, 10:56   #15310
Senior - BHPian

Lovely shots HW!

My New Acquisition -

The Official non-auto Image thread-untitled_panorama1.jpg

Got to buy some film rolls and start shooting with film! Can anyone help me to get an idea of the real market value of such a camera? (Will disclose the price I paid later )

Test shot with the Revuenon 28-70 f/4 lens seen in the above picture, mounted on my Sony A35. Not a true mount, but I held the lens tight to the body using hand. ISO and shutter speed controlled in camera while aperture, focus and zoom manually controlled in the lens - difficult job I should say! Need to find an adapter..

The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc9886.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 27th January 2013 at 11:00.
Old 27th January 2013, 11:43   #15311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
He's so cute Veeresh and offcourse your shot gave him his full glory. I would've used it as my Christmas Greetings if I recieved it earlier
Thanks Jacs. He's very cute, so that makes it easy for me .

Quote:
Nice to hear your updates buddy ! I thought you were already master of streets long back, love your humility. The close up of the white beard face is too good. Details are amazing. Each time you show off the OM-D here, I get enticed

Thanks bro, I know you have been travelling crazy, but not much is seen these days, collecting everything for a surprise show ?

Here is one from D600 outdoors.
Attachment 1042329
Thanks buddy. I am no master when it comes to street photography. What we perceive as street is actually not street photography at all. So, trying to learn the tricks of the new trade. You seem to be doing well with the D600, do show us more photos made with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post
All the above photos were clicked using Canon EOS 600D and 50mm f1.8 cheapy lens. This was my first go at the lens after I bought it, I find the photos a bit soft in focus. Not sure if I am not using it at the best f-stop. As far as I remember, all the above photos were between f1.8 and f4. I had to open the lens for faster shutter speeds in turn to avoid camera shake.

Not a guru, but let me try. You've done well trying to capture their surrounding and mood but you need to give more space around the frame. Include a bit more of their environment. That cheapy lens is an awesome lens, learn to use it well and it'll reward you with great pleasures. I think f1.8 is a bit soft, but it should do well by f2.8 and f4 is fantastic. Not sure how good high ISO shots are with 600D, but stop down a bit and increase the ISO. Also, the WB is off in the last photograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Lovely shots HW!

My New Acquisition -

Got to buy some film rolls and start shooting with film! Can anyone help me to get an idea of the real market value of such a camera? (Will disclose the price I paid later )

Test shot with the Revuenon 28-70 f/4 lens seen in the above picture, mounted on my Sony A35. Not a true mount, but I held the lens tight to the body using hand. ISO and shutter speed controlled in camera while aperture, focus and zoom manually controlled in the lens - difficult job I should say! Need to find an adapter..
Thanks!

Welcome to the world of film. Now get ready to be stunned on why we can't make such black and white images with digital that we can with film. Shoot a roll of Tri-X before they become extinct forever. The lens seems good though I am not aware of the brand. And the price paid? 100 bucks? :P. These days film cameras and lenses are cheap, so that's my guess.

Since, we're talking film, here are two I made with Olympus 35RC and Ilford HP5+:
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-03210011.jpg  

The Official non-auto Image thread-03210027.jpg  

Old 27th January 2013, 13:26   #15312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to the world of film. Now get ready to be stunned on why we can't make such black and white images with digital that we can with film. Shoot a roll of Tri-X before they become extinct forever. The lens seems good though I am not aware of the brand. And the price paid? 100 bucks? :P. These days film cameras and lenses are cheap, so that's my guess.

Since, we're talking film, here are two I made with Olympus 35RC and Ilford HP5+:
Boss! 100 bucks? You mean INR? No! This lens alone is selling in ebay for prices like 15 euros. The Pentax body in question sells at around 50 USD. So the total value as per ebay is around 3.6K INR. No, I didn't pay anywhere near that!

The lens I got is in mint condition with perfect looking glass elements. Its heavy body made of metal and the manual focus dial's travel is so wide (Around 200 degrees of rotation) that manual focus can be done without focus peeking.

Regarding Film, I am not sure whether I can get anything in Trivandrum. Even if I get, doubtful whether they can be processed after shooting.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th January 2013 at 13:28.
Old 27th January 2013, 16:36   #15313
Senior - BHPian

Window in a window!

The Official non-auto Image thread-image4034465842.jpg
Old 28th January 2013, 15:44   #15314
Senior - BHPian

chicken kebabs! yum..

The Official non-auto Image thread-_mg_9912.jpg
Old 28th January 2013, 16:34   #15315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, knowing every setting of a camera is not as important as knowing photography: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post865130
True, but one needs enough familiarity and practice with one's camera - whether a FX, DX, P&S or mobile camera - to capture the right moment properly (and to shoot instantaneously e.g. for wildlife, sports or kids) . And those photography basics/tips (as given in the PDF - great pithy summary!) need to be internalized with lots of practice.

Some shots taken with the D90/70-300mm combo and a Galaxy S2 camera.

Sunset near Mudumalai. D90, 70-300mm (wider angle lens left in the room, so tried composing with a zoom)
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_1303.jpg

Parking lot. Galaxy S2 camera
The Official non-auto Image thread-20120720-16.55.03.jpg

Yaawn! D90/70-300
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5300.jpg

Wish we humans had such flexible necks. D90/70-300mm
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_3593.jpg

Bhadra sunset. D90/70-300mm (again, wider angle lens left in the car)
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_4076.jpg

A favourite place in the Nilgiri jungles. Galaxy S2 camera
The Official non-auto Image thread-20120709-12.15.00.jpg

Affection among tigers. Cropped image (was too far away with intervening vehicles), but glad about getting the timing right.
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5814.jpg

A tigress on the prowl.
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_5382.jpg

I am planning to take my first formal photography class - one on post processing -with Toehold. Can anyone provide feedback? I am teaching myself GIMP, and want to make sure that the class will be useful e.g. if a class focused on specific Photoshop techniques and not generic techniques useful across various SW, then that doesn't add that much value.

Edit: Edited comment just to tell IronH4WK that his photo made me hungry.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th January 2013 at 16:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks