Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2006, 17:01   #16
BHPian

well i wanted to get some clarification here. in one of the post its been mentioned that the number plates would have to be in english, arabic.....but in b'lore i do see most of the BMTC buses ( owened by the Govt ) writting the numbers in kannada....now my question is is it legal ?? how can the govt, themself break the rule...pls throw some ligh on it...
Old 26th October 2006, 18:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
well i wanted to get some clarification here. in one of the post its been mentioned that the number plates would have to be in english, arabic.....but in b'lore i do see most of the BMTC buses ( owened by the Govt ) writting the numbers in kannada....now my question is is it legal ?? how can the govt, themself break the rule...pls throw some ligh on it...
in maharashtra the state transport buses have their number plates in marathi as well as english

a few years ago something that many people had was a blue neon frame around their number plate.....

Last edited by khanak : 26th October 2006 at 18:39.
Old 25th April 2007, 13:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

I just hate it when i see number plate written in local languages , it make you feel so bad , suppose these guy do some thing and you cant read those plates .. i really abhor these guys , many a time i have thought of taking a snap of their number plates and sending the pic to the traffic police help desk. Moreover i strongly believe that this is illegal .
Old 25th April 2007, 18:30   #19
BHPian

Yeah ,number plates in Kannada is very common here in bangalore.
I have seen vehicles sporting a grey coloured number plates with a kind of blue light on it..frankly speaking its very hard to read the numbers on these plates with those lights ON.
Old 25th April 2007, 19:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I just hate it when i see number plate written in local languages , it make you feel so bad , suppose these guy do some thing and you cant read those plates .. i really abhor these guys , many a time i have thought of taking a snap of their number plates and sending the pic to the traffic police help desk. Moreover i strongly believe that this is illegal .

Totally agree with you, in Delhi Hindi plates are used by "Netji Types" but that is illegal now actually has been for long but prosecutions have started only now. There is also a practise of 2 wheelers having BLANK rear number plates . Somehow the cops never seem to notice that , criminals can have their way if the cops keep snoozing. High time the cops wake up !!
Old 25th April 2007, 20:48   #21
BHPian

Well I too feel that number plates must be written in English numerals.
I don't know why police don't stop any vehicles with local number plates. It is a hazard.
PS: Many countries don't use English number plates! (eg. Bangladesh incl. numerals, Japan, China etc.)
source: Vehicle registration plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26th April 2007, 11:44   #22
Team-BHP Support

Easiest way to have some of these guys who sport number plates in local languages brought to the book is to take a snap of the same, and send them to some local newspaper, asking if these were legal. They would hopefully publish them, and the games would begin.
Old 26th April 2007, 21:36   #23
BHPian

Metro Today- has started a campaign inviting users to send pictures of any violation or Act which is not allowed..Infact the Ad asks Readers to Click pictures of people who do Pee Pee in Public- They say " If the person wants to exhibit themselves-Why just a few people, Let whole of Delhi see..."

Ad today in Delhi Times of TOI

report@metronow.co.in
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:59   #24
BANNED

Number Plate Query

Lat Friday I was traveling from Airport ( picked up my parents and was going to Borivali ) have seen a TOYOTA COROLLA with Number plate RRY -1

Pls find attached pic

Help me to know this number is of where country ? which city ?
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Rajasthan, India....
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:29   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Rajasthan, India....
Black letters on white background number plate means private ownership.

If that number actually appears on any record of the RTO in Rajasthan, some major fraud is taking place. 3 alpha registration has been discontinued from 1 June, 1989. It is RJ for Rajasthan.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Backseatdriver, no fraud involved here, its as simple as transferring the number to a different car.

It is very much possible to transfer registration numbers from one of your old cars to a newer car. For example, a friend of mine bought a Maruti 800 with a three digit delhi number and a 1 from someone for a couple of lacs (the car was worth 20-30k maybe) and transferred the registration to his Cayenne.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

legally possible ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Backseatdriver, no fraud involved here, its as simple as transferring the number to a different car.
It is very much possible to transfer registration numbers from one of your old cars to a newer car. ...
Are you sure that this is legally possible ? I was somehow under the impression that this wouldn't be possible. What happens to the older car : do we re-register it with a new number ?

Old 2nd September 2008, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is legally possible in quite a few states including Delhi.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Are you sure that this is legally possible ? I was somehow under the impression that this wouldn't be possible. What happens to the older car : do we re-register it with a new number ?

I guess in such cases the old car is fully destroyed by scrap dealers,and a certificate is issued that now the chasis no. and the engine no. doesnot exist.

Most Viewed