Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 11:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Could you kindly elaborate on this note please?

Yes, sure. Its like this. Some corrupt official gets caught. CBI will come and take its own steps. Then the corrupt official will use his influence to save himself. So here, some more transfer of money will be done. And as usual, the money will be from the worthless tax structure we have in India. It will be the income tax payer's hard earned money that will be used. So some more corruption here. Moreover, the officials will surely get united here, and corruption will reach CBI officials. They sometimes will have to take the bribe even if they dont have to take it. This is how corruption will increase.

So in short, to save himself, the corrupt officials will use their power and so the rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead View Post

IMO, we've got to start encouraging and appreciating such ideas or stop complaining that nothing is happening in our country.
I feel that its a great step. Irrespective of the outcome, at least some people will make an effort and at least a few corrupt officers will get reprimanded.
As tax payers, we do have a right to complain. What is happening is this: We pay a high tax and then we dont get any thing. We are not supposed to pay tax and improve each and every corrupt official, and for the government to keep these officers in jail we pay tax. Not for corruption.

This is in fact a very dangerous scheme through which the one who can fight for justice will stop raising the voice against the government.

Corruption has reached till the base of our system. And to even make a 0.1% imporvement, the entire system will have to be overhauled by a responsible and understanding power. Or else we will be compalining for the rest of our lives so will generations to come will do.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

While this is a welcome move nevertheless, it may only possibly serve to weed out the small fish. The big ones will continue unscathed.

The CBI as such will not entertain any anonymous information. I certainly will not put myself or my family at risk by trying to expose the bigger fish. Had it been anonymous, i would certainly... but despite how much they insist the informant's data is confidential, we all know about the cracks in the mechanism.
Old 4th September 2008, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

I believe there was a difference in legal terms of being caught red handed and raided for amassing wealth dispropotionate to their income. The red handed (eg taking bribe) is immediately suspended but not the ones raided upon.

Now KA govt has passed/ in the passing a bill in which both are considered as same and any govt servant will be suspended under both conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The officials who are caught read handed or raided by all powerful Lokayukta in Karnataka don't even get suspended let alone procecuted or jailed. All they get is headlines/photographs in first page and few days of infame.
Old 4th September 2008, 13:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Everytime Govt tries to do something, I see many people start demotivating it even before it is implemented. I understand the frustration people have after seeing what happened in the past.
But, if no initiative is taken, then do you think you will see any improvement? We all know that most police have connection with underground, do illegal things etc etc... But just imagine what will happen if Police stations are closed. Do you think its going to help the society?
Same thing with our own freedom. The Mahans for sure know that will be be treated so badly if they raise their voice against, but did it stopped them from doing? No.
So, to all who complaint that India is bad, corrupted etc etc, lets give a chance to Govt to see what change this can bring in. Ofcourse there are always loop holes to play around but lets atleast try to close as much as we can.

Just my 2 cents.

Btw, this is really a great initiative, but will I use this? Doubtfull.
Will others use? Sure, there are many people who still fight.

One recent example is "Petition Ramasamy" in Chennai I guess. He is constantly fighting against corruption etc. I am not sure I got the name right, but Chennai Anna's can help
Old 4th September 2008, 13:48   #20
BHPian

Got a MSG for MTNL Dolphin on 22nd aug, this is what it says

If Any Central Govt. Employee Demands Bribe for official work in Mumbai or Maharshtra pl Conact SP, CBI, ACB @9833400123/22882794 or email at: sp2acmum@cbi.gov.in
Old 4th September 2008, 15:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Now KA govt has passed/ in the passing a bill in which both are considered as same and any govt servant will be suspended under both conditions.
It is a very minor victory, it still doesn't let Lokayutka prosecute the culprits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Everytime Govt tries to do something, I see many people start demotivating it even before it is implemented. I understand the frustration people have after seeing what happened in the past.
But, if no initiative is taken, then do you think you will see any improvement? We all know that most police have connection with underground, do illegal things etc etc... But just imagine what will happen if Police stations are closed. Do you think its going to help the society?

So, to all who complaint that India is bad, corrupted etc etc, lets give a chance to Govt to see what change this can bring in. Of course there are always loop holes to play around but lets at least try to close as much as we can.
Some of us who deal with the government on a daily basis naturally understand this process will be defeated by the officials from the day one.

Actually Brabus E V12 got it right. The only way to remove corruption is to eliminate the corrupt people. I don't mean kill them, just take them out of the equation. Eliminate the opportunity for corruption. Just make every transaction computerized so that there is an audit trail. Remove the babus from sitting on physical files. Let them only click, if they don't act on time without proper cause, they should be penalized for it. Lots of government procedures are unnecessary and are legacy of 20th century, do away with them.

Make government procedures simple, transparent and strip away their discretionary powers. That itself will remove the corruption to a long extent.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:36   #22
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The officials who are caught read handed or raided by all powerful Lokayukta in Karnataka don't even get suspended let alone procecuted or jailed. All they get is headlines/photographs in first page and few days of infame.

In that light, I am not buying this whole SMS business. The officials may actually find out who ratted them out and give more trouble. Example, who would want to squeel on the local police official over a little bribe. Later that guy will make you pay 10 times over. This is a country where witnesses get no protection, in fact the courts will reveal their names in their paperwork.
Exactly

CBI is part of the system not outside the system. If anyone thinks otherwise please wakeup and see what is happening.

Unless there is strong witness protection programme, there is no use of such halfhearted measures.

CBI will not take in to account anonymous complaints even if they have substance. Complainant should give name and address. This itself defeats the purpose
Old 11th September 2008, 17:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Lots of government procedures are unnecessary and are legacy of 20th century, do away with them.

Make government procedures simple, transparent and strip away their discretionary powers. That itself will remove the corruption to a long extent.
Well said Samurai, I agree to this point. All Government transactions should be made transparent and should be publicly displayed and show every penny spent with details like where, how and why.

Other funny thing I saw while I visited the police station for my passport purpose, is that the station has a board suggesting people to call up Lokayukta and their phone numbers and inform them of any corruption inside the vicinity! This means that the government does not even trust its own counterpart I.E "THE POLICE". And they say the police are here to help you and the benefit of the people. What benefit exactly are these guys talking about?
I saw this through my own eyes ones. 2 guys come out of a bar at 10:30 pm at night and are walking completely sober. A cop jeep is outside the bar, The SI calls the guys towards him. They decently work towards him and say "sir"!!. And the SI starts wacking them with a stick?? Getting wacked is a benefit? What kind of loosers democracy is this?

I dont mean to be political here but I have seriously stopped voting these criminals and I will never vote untill there is a suitable candidate to do the job. I heard that somewhere in Madhya Pradesh a group of MBA guys have come up with their own party. I dont know how far is this true but if it has then "MY VOTE IS FOR THEM"
Old 11th September 2008, 17:36   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
I saw this through my own eyes ones. 2 guys come out of a bar at 10:30 pm at night and are walking completely sober. A cop jeep is outside the bar, The SI calls the guys towards him. They decently work towards him and say "sir"!!. And the SI starts wacking them with a stick?? Getting wacked is a benefit? What kind of loosers democracy is this?
In rural towns, every small business owner pays monthly protection money to the cops so that they will leave them alone. The rates change or re-negotiated everytime the SI changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
I dont mean to be political here but I have seriously stopped voting these criminals and I will never vote untill there is a suitable candidate to do the job. I heard that somewhere in Madhya Pradesh a group of MBA guys have come up with their own party. I dont know how far is this true but if it has then "MY VOTE IS FOR THEM"
Think again, you know what happened to the IITian party? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...cal-party.html
Old 11th September 2008, 21:25   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Eliminate the opportunity for corruption. Just make every transaction computerized so that there is an audit trail.
ROTFL. Give the corrupt babu a comp, and he will end up as a comp whiz in no time. We have seen this in railway ticketing.

(Long rant on other issues deleted by self - I have been already transferred 5 times in 30 months).
Old 11th September 2008, 21:25   #26
BANNED

Good initiative but is just that. No thought whatsoever has been given to it, or rather it looks more like someone's initiative to make a name for himself.

Who ever thought about this dosent know anything about the way corruption works or the way it needs to be dealt in India. Or rather that person knows and is willing to let it fail which it eventually will, perhaps with some exceptions.

Like Samurai said we need major changes and such 'thought in a day' idea wont work.

The people against whom the fight is are downright cheap, who can go to any lenghts to protect their interests. India is a poor country and a wad of cash will make a lot of people change their loyalties/principles/ethics easily.

We will support an initiative if it has been thoroughly being thought out, all loop holes need to be analysed and preventive measures need to be put in place.

We need to cure the disease not the symtoms.

Last edited by Spitfire : 11th September 2008 at 21:33.
Old 12th September 2008, 11:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

SMS campaign to net corrupt babus a huge hit

New Delhi: This is one public private partnership that bureaucrats are not going to appreciate. Hamstrung by the scarcity of whistleblowers in the bureaucracy, CBI has roped in members of the general public to keep tabs on corrupt babus, asking them for tip-offs. And the innovation seems to be working.

The agency is getting almost 100 calls a day since it launched a massive campaign involving text messages to inform citizens of numbers where they could leave information about corrupt officials.

A number of preliminary enquiries (PEs) have already been launched against suspects — a prerequisite for filing a regular case if the CBI finds truth in such complaints lodged by the people.

Source: TOI today
Old 12th September 2008, 11:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
A number of preliminary enquiries (PEs) have already been launched against suspects — a prerequisite for filing a regular case if the CBI finds truth in such complaints lodged by the people.
Now, thats something interesting. So whats left? Lets see how the cases proceed and how witness are secured.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks