Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 21:27   #1
BHPian

Exotic Owners Code of Conduct! Must Read

Found this while browsing through NSXPrime - the biggest NSX community in the US. Written by a chappie named Joe Martz. Stunning. Simply stunning.

"
My personal code of conduct as an exotic owner

[1]My cars will always be clean and well-presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

[2]I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I met.

[3]Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In-particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

[4]With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads. When asked to race, I will simply refuse.

[5]Operating my cars as Enzo, Soichiro and Ferruccio intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

[6]I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

[7]I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow-up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

[8]I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets."

Comments welcome!

The link:
Exotic Owners Code of Conduct - NSX-Wiki
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:52   #2
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2008 at 12:00.
manu7781 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2008, 00:16   #3

Well, When i drive my LHD Fiat, I get alot of questions, stupid ones too and ALOT of smiles and Thumbs Ups!! And i always smile back and say thank you!!
Old 4th September 2008, 00:24   #4
BHPian

Very smartly written post..

My San Storm is fetching me so many ,on-the-road compliments ,so I can very well imagine what the blessed ones with Lambos and Ferraris,must be facing.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Well, When i drive my LHD Fiat, I get alot of questions, stupid ones too and ALOT of smiles and Thumbs Ups!! And i always smile back and say thank you!!
And sometimes you do stick your middle finger up half way out of the car at someone
Old 4th September 2008, 00:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That is actually a fantastic code of conduct! I agree with him wholeheartedly too, if you have it & let some people who are not so blessed have a peak or seat in it, it might just make their day/month/year & the resultant smile would be totally worth it!! You might garner some good blessings too!
Old 4th September 2008, 01:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats like true sportsman spirit.
Wonder Indian Owners possess this kind of code of conduct too!
Old 4th September 2008, 01:35   #8
BHPian

This is brilliant. I wholeheartedly request this be made a parked thread
Old 4th September 2008, 03:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Most of these applies to all car / bike owners too!!
Old 5th September 2008, 13:34   #10
BHPian

Reminds me of a point Rtech made in his "How to live with a superbike thread".

"Be ready to answer questions. Answer politely. Given the opportunity, that person too would have loved to ride a big bike."

I feel this humility and politeness is missing in most of the supercar owners.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Brilliantly written and i too follow a similar code. with the exception of sometimes going above the speed limits late at night with some of the cars, caddy extensively. i am trying to curb my need for speed.
I have had people complimenting and ridiculing the cars but i just smile and drive on. Nowhere does it say that everyone has to like your car.
i have had people come and show me pictures of my Caddy and Packard with their children (2-7 years) sitting on the fender or poseing as if they were driving the car. pictures taken all over the city and at rallys. It is touching to see them remembering the car after years, all for one jesture that did not cost me anything. i would stop on the side of the road if someone is genuinly fond of the car and show him/her the entire car.
I believe in one thing if i am fortunate to have these cars i would like to share them with as many people as i can. Maybe i can temporarily fullfill some childs or grown ups fantasy or wish and bring a smile to their face. This is my greatest Prize and achievement.
Old 16th September 2008, 02:20   #12
BHPian

most owners of nice cars whom I know are all really nice. Although I don't think any of them would take a stranger for a spin, they don't mind the occasional photo or a small chat. I try my best to be nice, but there are some people who instead of complementing you or being civil end up being jealous or something and thereby seem to come off as insulting you...

That being said I have come accross my fair share of pompous supercar owners, but I guess that undue pride is there all over the world...
Old 16th September 2008, 05:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Brilliantly written and i too follow a similar code. with the exception of sometimes going above the speed limits late at night with some of the cars, caddy extensively. i am trying to curb my need for speed.
I have had people complimenting and ridiculing the cars but i just smile and drive on. Nowhere does it say that everyone has to like your car.
i have had people come and show me pictures of my Caddy and Packard with their children (2-7 years) sitting on the fender or poseing as if they were driving the car. pictures taken all over the city and at rallys. It is touching to see them remembering the car after years, all for one jesture that did not cost me anything. i would stop on the side of the road if someone is genuinly fond of the car and show him/her the entire car.
I believe in one thing if i am fortunate to have these cars i would like to share them with as many people as i can. Maybe i can temporarily fullfill some childs or grown ups fantasy or wish and bring a smile to their face. This is my greatest Prize and achievement.
Who and how did they ridicule your cars? Thats messed up.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
most owners of nice cars whom I know are all really nice. Although I don't think any of them would take a stranger for a spin, they don't mind the occasional photo or a small chat. I try my best to be nice, but there are some people who instead of complementing you or being civil end up being jealous or something and thereby seem to come off as insulting you...

That being said I have come accross my fair share of pompous supercar owners, but I guess that undue pride is there all over the world...
. there are not many who would take strangers for a spin. I do sometimes if the person is genuinely intersted in the car and if i am not pressed for time. During Rallys i have had a couple of experiences of this too.
Yes people do sometime come off as insulting and seem to know more about your car than you do. these kind off people i do not bother about and ask them to keep a distance from the car. I had this one person come on a bike with his family next to the caddy at a signal and for no reason just say your a showoff and these cars dont deserve to be on the road.
i do know a couple of Supercar owners who seem pompous and arrogant towards others, but with people they know they are very open. i would not blame them as their car is their treasure they dont want to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Who and how did they ridicule your cars? Thats messed up.
When we were running in the 170v i have had people say 'chaddar lagaya kya' (have you put a bedsheet), 'khatara ko hatao' (move the junk), 'dubba' (box), etc
In the Caddy i have heard things like 'DC ne banaya kya' (has DC made it), petrol or diesel, the top fell off, piece of S..., the boats place is in the sea not on the road. etc.
Old 16th September 2008, 23:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
. there are not many who would take strangers for a spin. I do sometimes if the person is genuinely intersted in the car and if i am not pressed for time. During Rallys i have had a couple of experiences of this too.
Yes people do sometime come off as insulting and seem to know more about your car than you do. these kind off people i do not bother about and ask them to keep a distance from the car. I had this one person come on a bike with his family next to the caddy at a signal and for no reason just say your a showoff and these cars dont deserve to be on the road.
i do know a couple of Supercar owners who seem pompous and arrogant towards others, but with people they know they are very open. i would not blame them as their car is their treasure they dont want to share.

When we were running in the 170v i have had people say 'chaddar lagaya kya' (have you put a bedsheet), 'khatara ko hatao' (move the junk), 'dubba' (box), etc
In the Caddy i have heard things like 'DC ne banaya kya' (has DC made it), petrol or diesel, the top fell off, piece of S..., the boats place is in the sea not on the road. etc.
Its sad that people can be that ignorant. Many people think if a car is "old" its worthless, what they do not realize is how valuable they are and th amount of blood and sweat that goes into restoring one of these. I think the worse one was "DC ne banaya kya?".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks