Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 19:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ummm, they do stop cars but only at night it seems. Mostly it's to check whether anyone is driving with alcohol. Mostly they'll ask the name or something to get the smell of alcohol. Yeah, daytime I've seen only bikers being stopped. Dunno the reason, but may be stopping cars will cause traffic jams and that's the last thing they want to do, just my wild guess.
Old 9th September 2008, 20:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
also happening in bombay. cops are coming down hard on 2 wheelers. they stop any person who is not wearing a helmet and also if the pillion is not wearing a helmet.
Thats NOT coming down hard. Thats saving a stupid rider's head from coming down hard on the road.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:04   #18
BHPian

Ajmat, loved that bit!
Maybe when my bottom gets itchy ill call one of those around to do it for me

Edit: Pun intended.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
also happening in bombay. cops are coming down hard on 2 wheelers. they stop any person who is not wearing a helmet and also if the pillion is not wearing a helmet.

and pray, what is wrong with that??
Old 10th September 2008, 13:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I see cops..especially traffic..harrass people every day here in bangalore. Why is it only bikers that get stopped?? i barely ever see cars getting pulled over.
I think I'm an exception to this

I use my bike for 200 to 250 KMS a week. I Haven't been stopped by a cop for more than a year now. For Anything!!!

When ever I see cops checking, I slow down, but never get stopped. (I don't use mobile on bike, I wear Helmet, Dont speed)

During the same period, I've been stopped around 9 times while driving my car. Most of the times during the day.

cheers
Old 10th September 2008, 13:19   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
During the same period, I've been stopped around 9 times while driving my car. Most of the times during the day.
I think it's the car
Old 10th September 2008, 14:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
last week around banashankari i was harassed by two cops for an hour at 11 PM at night just for 50 bucks. Was returning late from office after a release and was using my friends bike since mine had gone for servicing and inspite of showing all the valid documents and work proof they harassed me saying that how could they know that it wasnt a stolen bike. I told them to call up my office or come with me to my office since it was right next to my office that this happened, and check my credentials but still they harassed me till 12 PM in the night and all this for 50 bucks. Initially they demanded for 800 Rs and finally they settled to take whatever was there in my purse which luckily for me was only 50 bucks.
Its because of people like you that they get encouraged to do more of this. Why did you give in when you knew you had done nothing wrong?
Old 10th September 2008, 14:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand why there should be a law to protect one's own head. Are we that stupid ? Yes, we are, still, why ??

Quote:
also happening in bombay. cops are coming down hard on 2 wheelers.
Would you want them to come any other way ?

Sorry i couldn't resist.
Old 10th September 2008, 14:31   #24
BHPian

Hi CaliAtenza, here is my observation. Cops in Bangalore mostly try and stop two wheelers with TN or KL registration and very rarely few the 4-wheelers with TN and KL registration. In the six years that I was riding a bike (1994 - 2000) in Bangalore, I was hardly stopped 3-4 times.

But, these days they are checking for all sorts of things and couple of months back, I was pulled over for speeding on the outer ring road. They caught the speed on the camera. I had to pay the fine and there was no room for either negotiation or argument.
Old 10th September 2008, 15:01   #25
BHPian

Cali, I echo your sentiments. I have seen that happening in Bangalore as well as here in Kerala too. Not only do they stop you for no reason, the cops speak to you as if you are the scum of the earth!

Muralisk, You are right about the plight of TN and KL regn vehicles!
Old 10th April 2012, 20:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Police/Cops In Bangalore..or Maybe all of India

We are talking about cops making us follow the rule book. But in this case who will bell the cat?
Police/Cops In Bangalore..or Maybe all of India-policemobile.jpg
Picture source Lokmat, Aurangabad ( MH 20 is Aurangabad)
Old 10th April 2012, 21:11   #27
BHPian

Keeping aside all the bad cop behaviour and their uncouthness, noone can really comment if the cop in the above pic was actually attending to something important, like reaching a crime scene or maybe something more important (law keeping wise).

But if he was talking about dinner, then the person who took this pic should have recorded a video and exposed the cop in question.
Old 10th April 2012, 21:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Keeping aside all the bad cop behaviour and their uncouthness, noone can really comment if the cop in the above pic was actually attending to something important, like reaching a crime scene or maybe something more important (law keeping wise).

When a cop is under a lot of pressure dealing with a crime scene that has warranted his taking a call while riding, he gets super powers.

The bike will automatically adjust to traffic conditions and he will be able to fly over all obstacles.
Old 10th April 2012, 22:27   #29
BHPian

Maybe i've just been lucky but, I found bangalore cops to be very professional.

Last week, i was stopped for taking a left turn where there was no free left turn. Cop waves me down, approaches my window once i pull over and tells me i jumped the signal. I apologise and say i honestly thought there was a free left (I really did miss the no free left turn sign). He feeds the violation into his blackberry, notices there is one outstanding violation from last year, prints me a receipt for both, i pay the fine and leave. Plain and simple, no shinanigence. I didn't offer an excuse, he didn't ask for one. But then, the fine was Rs.200 :P
Old 10th April 2012, 22:49   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post

But if he was talking about dinner, then the person who took this pic should have recorded a video and exposed the cop in question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
When a cop is under a lot of pressure dealing with a crime scene that has warranted his taking a call while riding, he gets super powers.

The bike will automatically adjust to traffic conditions and he will be able to fly over all obstacles.
Believe whatever be the urgency, criminal case or not, the cop should have slowed down, moved left and stopped to answer the mobile.
As per the very newly amended M V Act, talking on the mobile phone is an offence liable for penalty while driving a motor vehicle. The definition of driving includes stoppages owing to traffic jams or signals, where the person is still supposed to be driving the motor vehicle.

Most Viewed