Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 09:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Police/Cops In Bangalore..or Maybe all of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
a call while riding, he gets super powers.
The bike will automatically adjust to traffic conditions and he will be able to fly over all obstacles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Believe whatever be the urgency, criminal case or not, the cop should have slowed down, moved left and stopped to answer the mobile.
Not being too judgemental here. Superpowers or not, cussing the cop in question is akin to taking him to court and the court replying back to your allegation that "there was a bomb blast 1 Km away" and you were bent upon stopping a law enforcement agency with your excuse that "look, a man in khaki flouting rules"

If i were driving/riding and suffered a heart attack, would I think twice about stopping aside, putting the hazard lights on, getting out of the car and then make a plea for HELP on my cell phone? No, I like everybody else, cop or not cop would dial right away asking for help as the law does not say anything of "while suffering a massive heart attack, please pull over and then use your cell phone for making a call that can save your own life"

This over generalisation of cops as incompetent fools has to stop someday, because I only know too well that my car or bike won't automatically adjust and control itself and dodge all obstacles while i Suffer a heart attack or any other medical condition. On the contrary I would end up hurting someone in an accident!
Old 11th April 2012, 12:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
If i were driving/riding and suffered a heart attack, would I think twice about stopping aside, putting the hazard lights on, getting out of the car and then make a plea for HELP on my cell phone? No, I like everybody else, cop or not cop would dial right away asking for help as the law does not say anything of "while suffering a massive heart attack, please pull over and then use your cell phone for making a call that can save your own life"
So if I suffer a heart attack or a similar medical emergency, the law gives me rights to mow down any pedestrian and road user while saying my goodbyes to loved ones? This is the most illogical justification I have ever heard.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
So if I suffer a heart attack or a similar medical emergency, the law gives me rights to mow down any pedestrian and road user while saying my goodbyes to loved ones? This is the most illogical justification I have ever heard.
@ Jaguar : i think you got Ford5's message wrong. I think he meant about making a call to hospital or a doctor and not saying goodbyes to loved ones.

Nevertheless, i personally wont agree to it too. When having a heart attack, the first thing to do if you are driving or riding is to get to the side of the road and stop the vehicle and then call for help. The risk of killing someone or killing yourself is more if you drive/ride while having a heart attack and even more if you add trying to talk on the mobile to that.

No matter the emergency, either the cop should have stopped and then spoken on the mobile or let someone else ride and should have been a pillion
Old 11th April 2012, 19:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Not being too judgemental here. Superpowers or not, cussing the cop in question is akin to taking him to court and the court replying back to your allegation that "there was a bomb blast 1 Km away" and you were bent upon stopping a law enforcement agency with your excuse that "look, a man in khaki flouting rules"

This over generalisation of cops as incompetent fools has to stop someday, because I only know too well that my car or bike won't automatically adjust and control itself and dodge all obstacles while i Suffer a heart attack or any other medical condition. On the contrary I would end up hurting someone in an accident!
Thats a very hypothetical and imaginary situation.Traffic rules must be followed and we as teambhpians need to set examples by being law abiding, as many non- members too surf here for information.
About cops, the picture does all the talking and we are not generalising here. Its a single case that is being discussed.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
@ Jaguar : i think you got Ford5's message wrong. I think he meant about making a call to hospital or a doctor and not saying goodbyes to loved ones.

Nevertheless, i personally wont agree to it too. When having a heart attack, the first thing to do if you are driving or riding is to get to the side of the road and stop the vehicle and then call for help. The risk of killing someone or killing yourself is more if you drive/ride while having a heart attack and even more if you add trying to talk on the mobile to that.

No matter the emergency, either the cop should have stopped and then spoken on the mobile or let someone else ride and should have been a pillion
Jaguar and D-nav, what you say is quite practical and is the golden rule that needs to be followed by every law-abiding traffic user.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th April 2012 at 19:50.
Old 12th April 2012, 02:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
who said anything about goodbyes? read my reply carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thats a very hypothetical and imaginary situation.Traffic rules must be followed and we as teambhpians need to set examples by being law abiding, as many non- members too surf here for information.
hypothetical & imaginary? let me inform you that my colleague almost died in the same situation exactly 3 years ago on the mumbai-pune expressway in peak traffic. As much as we need to set examples by being law abiding citizens, don't we also need to keep ourselves alive in such a hypothetical situation so that we can pull over after regaining some composure after speaking to a medical help or a family member?

In developed countries such incidents happen routinely on the expressways and the law too is not flouted because the priority is to save the life of the driver in question, not to chide him for being alive and worry about him "following" traffic rules. Non-members too should be made aware of rules and what to do or what not to do.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2012 at 12:25. Reason: Removing last line. It's inappropriate toward another member
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:40   #36
BHPian

I am narrating an incident which happened with me and my family couple of months back.

Myself, my brother and my parents were travelling on Hyderabad highway to our native village which is around 200+ kms from Bangalore.

My father was at wheels and we reached Chikkabalapur around 9am, and my parents wanted to buy vegetables and other provisions to our village, so we stopped at the market. Myself and my brother decided to go to an hotel at the opposite side of the road and place order for breakfast in the meantime, my parents were shopping.

We had just placed an order at the fast food hotel, there is a Cop at the counter enquiring about the car.

Constable: "whose car is that white Maruti?"

I didn't bother coz mine was i20 Hyundai, he was yelling at all customers abt white car. With doubt in my mind, I went and asked which car he was mentioning, he pointed to my car, and I said, its mine.

Constable: "Why didn't you respond when I was enquiring abt the car"
Myself: "Sir, you said it was Maruti, and mine is not Maruti, it's Hyundai "
Constable: "Come take out your car, its NO parking"

NOTE:Traffic cops wear White uniform in Karnataka and Khaki Uniforms are worn by Crime/Civil Cops.

Our constable I am referring worn Khaki, so was not Traffic as per my understanding.

I promptly went to my dad, asked for the keys and moved the car and parked it right in front of the hotel. Upon looking around where my dad had parked earlier, I didn't see any No Parking signs.

After parking I was heading back to my table coz the breakfast was served. While entering, the constable stops me.

Constable: "where are you going, pay the fine"
Myself: "for what?"
Cons: "parking in No parking"
Myself: "there is no sign of no parking there"
Cons: "its No parking"

I called my dad and he said, take a challan and tell him we shall pay in court

I said the same thing to constable. He said no challan and all, no paying in court pay here now. I lost my cool, and said, not possible, you are not even Traffic Cop and without challan, I won't pay fine, I shall pay it in court.

He didn't budge. To my surprise, he started abusing in local Kannada language and badmouthed few filthy words and next minute he is holding my collar.

My dad was walking back and witnessed what was going on and enquired about the incidents and constable started abusing him is filthy language as well. He got very angry and blasted the constable for misusing his right and called the ACP of that Jurisdiction.

My dad is a High Court senior Advocate and so is my mom too. We knew District Magistrate and informed him too. My uncle was posted in Chikkabalapur as RTO, and everyone where there.

Next thing we were taken to Police station, and my dad wanted to file an FIR. The station inspector, requested us not to, as this would suspend the cop and he apologized for the incident. He blasted the constable in station as well.

My dad and DM literally dragged entire police folks to the place where it all started, right in front of the hotel. There were some 11 police cops gathered along with us.

By seeing the commotion there were quite a few people, rather I should say huge crowd.

My dad insisted the Constable apologize him and myself in front of all public present there. Upon insistence of DM as well, the Constable and the Station inspector apologized us for the incident and language used.

My dad said, "you are Public servants and you are officiated to provide service to the public, say we are too among the public. By trying to misuse your position and power, we public will bring you down to your feet and make you understand your very purpose of being in duty, don't take People for granted."
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
My dad said, "you are Public servants and you are officiated to provide service to the public, say we are too among the public. By trying to misuse your position and power, we public will bring you down to your feet and make you understand your very purpose of being in duty, don't take People for granted."
Unfortunately when there is no near and dear ones of that high stature, it is the gunda-raj of the cop that wins on the day :-(. If we go against the cop, it only invites more trouble - however righteous the common man is.

But I felt good that you guys have a nice shock treatment for the cop. Hope he would think twice in future
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
I am narrating an incident which happened with me and my family couple of months back.
hats off to your dad . More people should be brave like him, but then again most people dont have connections like your family :(.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd May 2012 at 13:26.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I see cops..especially traffic..harrass people every day here in bangalore. Why is it only bikers that get stopped?? i barely ever see cars getting pulled over. Im from the US, but im here for studies (MBBS) and it is just terrible. I cannot respect any policeman/woman, regardless of how good their character is, because of their fellow colleagues' actions :(. If these guys were just paid a bit more, i honestly think corruption and harrasment would go down 50%. Another thing, the vehicles they use here are a joke...how would they catch speeders or traffic violators if their jeeps/cars cant keep up. The bikes are ok (pulsars, et all), but the 4 wheelers are just sad :(. I know you cant outrun the radio but still. Cant the forces get surplus cars from abroad from other police departments? Would things work better if the police departments here were organized like those in the US or other western countries? The regular police are never around when you need them to be either. Stoplight cameras (even though i absolutely despise them back home) would work wonders here in catching signal jumpers and stuff. What has gone wrong guys??
Boss,This is my India I love my India, Here if a cop working for traffic dept,police station,crime branch or any other branch are mostly corrupt.
Traffic dept are more corrupt because they can get the easy money in seconds,others have to slog,work,run around for that easy money for more time.
Now it is clear that even if a ordinary constables pay scale is improved and he gets 100000/- per month instead of 3000/- he may be getting presently even after getting that much money he will halt the passing trucks,tempos,taxies,autoricks and collect 10/-,20/- from them.
It has gone in their dirty blood (Corruption),they will die along with it.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think the fact is that the govt guys have started thinking its their right to extract bribes. That's why they feel offended and try to rough you up when you resist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks