Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 09:05   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Been to Papaji Ka Dhaba on Thursday evening for dinner.

Damages : Rs.450
How do I get to this place. I am new to Hyd and can find my way to Big Bazar Abids. Need directions from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I am @ sholay & 20 % discount on total bill is agreed. Give me a few days & Avi will be made i/c of handing out the discount coupons.
Impressive Discount on a restaurant that is being raved for its food.
Keep us posted on ways to avail this benefit.

Last edited by bblost : 14th May 2010 at 10:50.
Old 14th May 2010, 09:55   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was hilarious...LOL

You should say "No to Biryani if it's not Dum"

I tasted Biryani from almost everywhere that i visited in India and one that i recall was once in Calcutta ate a Chicken Biryani that had more boiled potato pieces ( large ones) than chicken
Oh yeah!!! I too had a similar experience in B'lore in 2004!!!

I stayed in B'lore for a month or so in BTM layout. There was this popular restraunt there. I think it was called as Udipi Hotel(i am not sure if the name is correct!!). My room-mate said they are good with chicken biryani. I ordered Chicken Biryani and I was served with some rice item reddish in color with good amounts of tomato pieces. This is what I said to the server "I ordered for chicken biryani not tomato bath!!" ...... lol man another Dum-b(not)found experience!!! It took some time to understand after some discussion with the manager and later some curious queries from others who came to eat "chicken biryani" there that it was indeed chicken biryani which was served to me!!!

BTW, had another funny incident during the same period. This time it was Bannergatta Road. My room-mate took me to a paan dabba and asked whether I would like to have paan. I said sure!! After chewing the paan for couple of times I spit it out making weird faces. Poor paan guy he was really offended why i spit out the paan. He in turn asked me "is there something wrong with the paan". I felt pity for this paan guy and said "that was first time I am having paan(yes indeed first time I am having such a yuck paan!!! even the guys outside udipi hotels in tirupathi served better paan!!). My room mate said this is the best of the paan he could find in B'lore!!!

After the above two incidents I have decided not to have Chicken Biryani or Paan outside of Hyderabad. I hope in other places where they make dum-biryani in India tastes as good or (better than??) Hyderabad. I did see about those places in "Highway on my plate" TV program in NDTV Googtimes channel!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th May 2010 at 09:59.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:57   #1563
BHPian

@kkr2k2
so where are really good Paan shops in Hyderabad who use best quality ingredients?
Old 14th May 2010, 12:08   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
@kkr2k2
so where are really good Paan shops in Hyderabad who use best quality ingredients?
Sorry buddy, I cant say any thing on that front. But there must many paan shops who make good paan. At least I havent come across any paan shop in Hyderabad who makes a bad paan.

But there are some paan shops in Hyderabad which have regular clients. Here are few around Himayathnagar:
1. Opposite HighKing restaurant.
2. Adjacent to Bluefox hotel.
3. One near Niagara hotel (the one in Chadarghat!!)

There could scores of them in Hyderabad. I think Avi, Nikhil and others can list out them.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:30   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
@kkr2k2
i usually go to the shop next to cafe latte on road no 36 j.hills. i quite like the meetha pan one gets there

also if you like to eat typical benarsi sada pan ,the fellow who sits outside sahib sindh sultan is nice
Old 14th May 2010, 12:43   #1566
Senior - BHPian

speaking of Pan - The one opposite Palace heights is also good.
Has anyone tried the Pan Bullets? Pan made in the shape of a small ball without the leaf!
Tried it once at New Club, Secunderabad and it was awesome!
Old 14th May 2010, 13:22   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Opposite HighKing restaurant.
Raj Bhai, is it HIGHKING or HAIKING

Quote:
I think Avi, Nikhil and others can list out them.
I feel elated everytime my name comes up to list out a couple of best places for anything & this time its PAAN.

Here are my favorite Paan Joints around the city. These might be mostly centered around Abids/Begum Bazaar and etc. I would love to write a lot more about various shops in other areas.

1. Triveni Pan Shop, near Palace Heights, Abids
Many people visit this place. Not one of my favourties but surely a good place if you want to taste Meenakshi Paan or any type of Paan. The USP is he keeps his shop open till late in the night. So a sure shot place for those night birds.

2. Mayur Pan Shop, Minister Road or Mayur Pan Shop, Hanuman Tekdi or Mayur Pan Shop, Near Malakpet Gunj, Malakpet
Lovely Pans with ample variety of flavored chutneys. Try their Meenakshi Paan with Flavored Chutney. You will find the juiciest Meenakshi Paan here. Also try Paan Gola here, loved their Meetha Paan Gola.

4. A1 Pan Shop, Begum Bazaar
Situated opposite Lane to Traffic Police Outpost, Begum Bazaar, enroute Begum Bazaar Chatri. You will find the juiciest Meenakshi Paan here. Simply one of the best Paans you will ever find. Marwadi’s are mostly addicted to Meenakshi or Navratan Meenakshi and Paan Shops at Begum Bazaar are a sure shot place to find some of the best paans.

5. Paan Shop, Near Sahib Sindh Sultan City Centre Mall
This is nestled in a corner near Sahib Sindh Sultan restaurant. The paanwala is dressed in typical Benarasi style with a dhoti and a Nehru cap with a nice moustache. This shop’s specialty is its maghai (twin paans). The meetha paan is also quite tasty and the supari is quite soft. Also on offer is the kesar filled rampiyari which is a nice twist to an already popular paan. It’s a must stop after a meal at one of the BJN restaurants here.

6. Hyderabad Paan Mahal, Bazar Ghat
Variety of flavored chutneys are his trademark. You will find chutneys ranging from Pineapple, Litchi, Chandan, Strawberry, Axe and a lot more. You name it, he has it. A good place to have a good paan.

7. Bajrang Pan Shop, Skyline Theatre Lane, Basheer Bagh
Banrang’s Paan reminds me of my childhood memories. You will surely love Meetha Paan at Bajrang’s Paan Shop. You would be surprised to see a Pan the size of KWALITY WALLS CORNETTO Ice Cream. Still remember, we used to eat it as an ice cream, slowly chomping off a byte by byte. No one can eat it at a go, that’s the specialty of that pan. Try it out, if you want to experience something different.

8. Blue Diamond Paan Shop, Near LB Stadium, Basheerbagh, Hyderabad
For a feel of the old neighbourhood corner paan dabba experience, hop over to the Blue Diamond Paan Shop at Basheerbagh. This place has been running successfully for over forty years now. Their specialty is the regular patta meetha paan which is quite nicely folded into a small paan holder. They also have a selection of very traditional paans such as the Navratan and Kashmiri and also offer unique mixes like the Navratan Meenakshi and the Navratan Rampiyari. Looking for suggestions from the paanwala himself? That’s available too.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:24   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
How do I get to this place. I am new to Hyd and can find my way to Big Bazar Abids. Need directions from there.
If you know Ravindra Bharathi in Lakdikapul, from there keep coming towards Mehdipatnam/Panjagutta road. At the signal, if you go straight you will go to mehdipatnam and when you turn right it leads to Panjagutta.

As soon as you turn right, Shahji ka Dhaba is immediately on your left right after the petrol bunk. Its a small joint so you need to keep your eyes peeled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Mr.Bajaj/Avi Bhai... hope i would also get the discount thing at sholay.
Sorry, no discount for you. Please pay the membership fees of Rs.500 each to me and Bajaj saab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.syedfarhan View Post
Are newbeis, like me also eligible for this discount?, or you plan to have some criteria based on number of posts or duration of membership.
Same as above. Please register with Avibajaj Foodie Club to avail discounts. We both work in tandem.

Avi discovers good restuarants
Bajaj saab negotiates for deals with them.

Quote:
But there are some paan shops in Hyderabad which have regular clients. Here are few around Himayathnagar:
1. Opposite HighKing restaurant.
2. Adjacent to Bluefox hotel.
3. One near Niagara hotel (the one in Chadarghat!!)

There could scores of them in Hyderabad. I think Avi, Nikhil and others can list out them.
Apart from that, there are several that i know and frequent regularly where the paan is heavenly. As Raj said, you wont get paan better than Hyderabad anywhere in this country.

A few others that are amazing

1. Palace Heights, Abids
2. Opp to erstwhile Skyline Theatre, Basheerbagh ( he is the most popular)
3. Mayur Paan Palace ( Boggulkunta and Minister Road)
4. Dimpy's Paan Place

My alltime favorite paan ( i never eat meetha, its always calcutta Meenakshi..LOL) is at Uday Cafe in Boggulkunta.

However, if you go to 2, 3, 4. You need to tell them not to make it strong, Kattha and Chunna should be less and meenakshi chutney too also less.

They usually make it for Marwari customers who eat so strong paans, it will burn your toungue. I know some marwari friends who's first visit in morning is at these paan shops and buy for whole day ( 8-12 paans). And, they eat a special one ( not able to recall the name now) which is stronger than Meenakshi and made in a unique way. The chutney applied on paan and is kept to dry for 5-10mins and then they make it.

That paan costs Rs.20 each, so imagine these marwari folks spending easily 200 bucks a day on their paan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
i usually go to the shop next to cafe latte on road no 36 j.hills. i quite like the meetha pan one gets there
Rajesh bhai, Hyd is heaven for "Calcutta Meenakshi Paan". Try that sometime, it takes some getting used to. But, when you do, its addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
speaking of Pan - The one opposite Palace heights is also good.
Has anyone tried the Pan Bullets? Pan made in the shape of a small ball without the leaf!
Tried it once at New Club, Secunderabad and it was awesome!
You get many exotic paans like that but, only in those fancy Paan stores like Dimpy's, Mayurs who started the first AC paan shops in Hyd long time back. Boy! some of there paan is bloody expensive.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:48   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, no discount for you. Please pay the membership fees of Rs.500 each to me and Bajaj saab
Rs. 500/-

Quote:
Same as above. Please register with Avibajaj Foodie Club to avail discounts. We both work in tandem.
I believe I am also a member of AviBajaj Foodie Club as a contributor. I believe I was heading the Indian Breakfast Team, always on lookout for outlets for Breakfast. Kind Consideration requested

Quote:
As Raj said, you wont get paan better than Hyderabad anywhere in this country.
+1 on that. I've had Paan's at many places in various cities in India but never found a one close to our hyderabadi flavour.

Quote:
And, they eat a special one ( not able to recall the name now) which is stronger than Meenakshi and made in a unique way. The chutney applied on paan and is kept to dry for 5-10mins and then they make it.
NAVRATAN MEENAKSHI. They apply Baba90 Chutney on the paan and let it dry for some time. The more the paan dries, the better the taste of Navratan Mix. Once it dries, they apply choicest of Meeakshi Chutneys to give it a distinctive flavor. Its on a stronger side, but worth the try.

I would suggest first timers to taste it once but with caution. Better, have a water bottle handy before trying this. Once you get the hang of this, then you will surely love it. This is not the eat and chew type of paan, this is a eat, keep in your mouth for sometime type of paan.

So all the Paan freaks, enjoy the paan at these outlets for sure. In case we are meeting at somewhere the next time & I am passing through Begum Bazaar, would get a couple of Paans for sure.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th May 2010 at 14:53. Reason: Please refer to the PM
traveloholic is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th May 2010, 14:17   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Now that what I call as answering a query.....yeah!!!

I guess adzegeek got all the info he wants. As I say scores of them, there could be many more. I think brajesh, sai takur, ravveendra, bajaj saab, venu sir, fazal & dkg(if they come to this thread) can add to the list.

@all, need some advice:
Please suggest a quite place to have dinner with the special one. It should be a quite place with out noise and loud music. Softly lit place and well spread out tables is a must. They should serve non-veg as well. Please give more than two options.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:26   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
@all, need some advice:
Please suggest a quite place to have dinner with the special one. It should be a quite place with out noise and loud music. Softly lit place and well spread out tables is a must. They should serve non-veg as well. Please give more than two options.
my my raj tera romantic side yeh post mein dikh raha hai.lol

i would say if budget is not a constraint why don't you try tamara at durgam cherevu. its got all the jazz you've stated above.
Old 14th May 2010, 14:45   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i would say if budget is not a constraint why don't you try tamara at durgam cherevu. its got all the jazz you've stated above.
Hmmm! did a search on it in google to find any pics but came across its description in Indiamike, sounds very nice. Any more options?? We liked the palace heights but I dont want a repeat.

Durgam Cheruvu is quite a far place. may be we can go there some time in the day time on a Sunday.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:07   #1573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, Tamara has closed sometime back.

Quote:
Hmmm! did a search on it in google to find any pics but came across its description in Indiamike, sounds very nice. Any more options?? We liked the palace heights but I dont want a repeat.

Durgam Cheruvu is quite a far place. may be we can go there some time in the day time on a Sunday.
If its romance and ambience that you want. Nothing to beat any of the following restuarants

Zafraan Exotica
Waterfront

I recommend the former as ambience is a knockout and perfect for that special evening.

@Lonelyplanet, My bad, i thought you said Shahji, later saw you wanted directions for Papaji.

From Big Bazaar, its 0.5kms. From BB, go little straight towards Koti, about 50 meters ahead you will see a left which is Jaya International Hotel Lane, take this lane and keep going for about 400 meters and you will see Papaji Ka Dhaba on your left.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:15   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah!!! I too had a similar experience in B'lore in 2004!!!

I stayed in B'lore for a month or so in BTM layout. There was this popular restraunt there. I think it was called as Udipi Hotel(i am not sure if the name is correct!!). My room-mate said they are good with chicken biryani. I ordered Chicken Biryani and I was served with some rice item reddish in color with good amounts of tomato pieces. This is what I said to the server "I ordered for chicken biryani not tomato bath!!" ...... lol man another Dum-b(not)found experience!!! It took some time to understand after some discussion with the manager and later some curious queries from others who came to eat "chicken biryani" there that it was indeed chicken biryani which was served to me!!!

BTW, had another funny incident during the same period. This time it was Bannergatta Road. My room-mate took me to a paan dabba and asked whether I would like to have paan. I said sure!! After chewing the paan for couple of times I spit it out making weird faces. Poor paan guy he was really offended why i spit out the paan. He in turn asked me "is there something wrong with the paan". I felt pity for this paan guy and said "that was first time I am having paan(yes indeed first time I am having such a yuck paan!!! even the guys outside udipi hotels in tirupathi served better paan!!). My room mate said this is the best of the paan he could find in B'lore!!!

After the above two incidents I have decided not to have Chicken Biryani or Paan outside of Hyderabad. I hope in other places where they make dum-biryani in India tastes as good or (better than??) Hyderabad. I did see about those places in "Highway on my plate" TV program in NDTV Googtimes channel!!
I think your roomie had no idea about Bangalore what so ever!! "Udipi" hotel that you are referring to near BTM layout which is very popular is "Udupi Garden" and it's an all vegetarian restaurant and one of the best in it's class.

About Paan, I think your friend again has taken you to a wrong place. I agree that the Paan shops in Hyderabad are way beyond comparison (I have spent couple of years in Hyderabad myself and I belong to Hyderabad-karnataka area which is famous for their tobacco consumption!! especially chewable format! not to mention that I myself am an addict) but, there are few very good paan shops in Bangalore which are generally run by UP/Bihar guys where you can get excellent paan.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:19   #1575
BHPian

Quote:

Avi discovers good restuarants
Bajaj saab negotiates for deals with them.
Hey Avi!! man, what about we non-resident Hyderabadi's? are we eligible for the discount??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks