Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:13   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Waseem Bhai, Shah Ghouse isin't in Barkas, it's at Shah Ali Banda. BTW, Shah Ghouse serves amazing Biryani too.
.I had biriyani last year at Shah Ghouse, it was very nice.Lets plan and vist Shah Ghouse at Toli Chowki soon.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:15   #2072
BHPian

Don't want to be venturing into 'old city' for Haleem - too crowded for my liking.
Any good options in equivalent 'new city' (ToliChowki) ?
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:48   #2073
BHPian

Yesterday i happen to visit "ANGAARA" on Kothaguda Chuorastha(Circle) on the way to Miyapur.Place very good for Tandoor items.The taste was Awesome and the preparation was Clean but had to stand and have on the pavement(table).Great place for takeaway.

Items:
Kalmi Kabab- 1 plate
Fish Tikka-1plate
Malai Kabab- 1 plate
Romali Roti-4
Kinley Water-1

Total Damage to the pocket: Rs 255 only

Last edited by msvg : 2nd August 2010 at 17:53.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:48   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Don't want to be venturing into 'old city' for Haleem - too crowded for my liking.
Shah Ghouse has a new branch at Toli Chowki from this year.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:50   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Yesterday i happen to visit "ANGAARA" on Kothaguda Chuorastha(Circle) on the way to Miyapur road.
What was your experience.? please elaborate.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:56   #2076
BHPian

Whats Haleem?
I have been very fortunate that i visit Hyderabad every year and stay in Ramzan month but never tried Haleem?
What kind of meat is in it? Is it Beef?
Plz guide me
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:02   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another option is to travel a little bit and try the Sarvi Haleem too. (Opp Care Hospital, Road No.1 B'Hills)
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:05   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should. Take a bike ( due to high traffic) to old city during ramzan and go there only after 10:00pm, its a great experience.

Quote:
Whats Haleem?
I have been very fortunate that i visit Hyderabad every year and stay in Ramzan month but never tried Haleem?
Plz guide me
Simple explanation, will leave the elaborate to more knowledegable folks here.

Haleem is made of pure goat meat which is mixed with wheat and ghee and cooked for over 6 hours and is one of the most tastiest dish you will ever eat in your life. DONT MISS IT
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:06   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats Haleem?
Plz guide me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HaleemHere you go.Its primarily made of mutton.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:51   #2080
BHPian

Thanks Guys ,any suggestions for best place to have in Hyderabad?for first timers?
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:20   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
.I had biriyani last year at Shah Ghouse, it was very nice.Lets plan and vist Shah Ghouse at Toli Chowki soon.
Is the Shah Ghouse at Toli Chowki replacing Niagara Hotel already opened? What are they serving? Is it a full fleged restaurant there?
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:10   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Simple explanation, will leave the elaborate to more knowledegable folks here.
There are N number of variants of Haleem available in the Market, Chicken Haleem, Muttom Haleem, Beef Haleem, Veg Haleem. The basic preparation is the same, except for the stuff that goes into it.

What's so special about Haleem?
I've heard a couple of people say that it's a simple milkless porridge with meat in it. Some people even said that it's just a paste of grated mutton and wheat.

I would say that Haleem is nothing short of being called a HEAVENLY DISH.

Not every place is worth the eat and not every haleem is heavenly. Even a cafe at the corner of the street might be serving Haleem, but try to question yourself. Is it really worth it?

Have seen a couple of people having Haleem at the road size cafe's and cribbing about the Haleem, saying "Is this Haleem, i've heard so much about it but it's not that great". I would say, would you have a Gol Gappa/Pani Puri/Gapchup at every eatery you come across? There are some who serve amazing pani puri's, it's the same case with Haleem. Not everyone serves amazing Haleem and not every outlet is worth tasting.

Always stick to the tried and tested ones, rather than experimenting all by yourself. Not every outlet serves 100% Mutton Haleem (if you don't eat BEEF). There's a symbol of purity, that isin't displayed on the outlet but is given here on the forum, that says which outlet serves the most authentic Mutton Biryani.

I remember, the last time we met at Papaji Da Dhaba, myself and Ani had a discussion about What is a Biryani and What isin't? There isin't something called as Chicken Biryani or Prawns Biryani or Fish Biryani, there is only 1 variant of Biryani and that is MUTTON BIRYANI. If you say Biryani, it is MUTTON BIRYANI only. Chicken Biryani or Prawns Biryani or Fish Biryani are only offshoots of Mutton Biryani, that were reworked on to satiate the needs of people, based on their choice and requirement. But the Authentic Biryani is MUTTON BIRYANI only.

On the same lines, Mutton Haleem is the only haleem, all other's are offshoots of this. Meat replaced as per the need and requirements. They've adapted the meat based on the locality it is served in.

You might see 100's of outlets serving Chicken Haleem in Ameerpet, where as you will see 100's of outlets serving Beef Haleem in Charminar. This is as per the needs of the locality. It's more of a locale based variant of Haleem that is served.

Mutton Haleem is served at many places across the city but the best are the ones that've been tried and tested for years. I never go by the TOI Best Haleem Award, that is passed on every year. I go by the level at which, the haleem satiates my haleemistic soul.

Listing down a couple of outlets, who serve amazing Haleem.

1. Shah Ghouse, Shah Ali Banda, Char Minar
2. Sarvi, Banjara Hills
3. Sarvi, Mehdipatnam
4. Shahdaab, Madina X Roads, Madina, Charminar
5. Bahar, Hyderguda
6. Pista House, Shah Ali Banda, Charminar (I would suggest this outlet as compared to Take Away located all over the city)
7. Paradise, Secunderabad (Like this albeit, the innumerable amount of bones that somehow make their way into Haleem. I would call it HADDIeem - HADDI means Bone)
8. New Gold Shahi Haleem, Azampura
9. Hotel Sohail, Saidabad Road, Malakpet
10. Bawarchi, RTC X Roads
11. Astoria, RTC X Roads
12. Niagara, Chaderghat
13. Alpha Hotel, Opposite Secunderabad Station
14. Nizam Club, Saifabad/Lakdi Ka Pul
15. Fateh Maidan Club, L. B. Stadium, Nampally
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:48   #2083
Team-BHP Support

traveloholic, that is a true tribute to the Haleem.

And I can understand the frustration of listening to people berating a dish simply because the roadside cafe did not serve it well.

I would include Cafe 555, to your list.
You must try it this year.

Anyways, I hate my haleem with the gravy they pour on top. I like it just the way it is. The first plate of haleem I had was at the shop they would set up outside the Mosque opposite q-mart, Banjara Hills.
Almost seven years have passed and I am loving it.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:16   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would include Cafe 555, to your list.
< The first plate of haleem I had was at the shop they would set up outside the Mosque opposite q-mart, Banjara Hills.
Almost seven years have passed and I am loving it.
Nikhil, How about Hotel Nayaab and Bombay restaurent @ Rani gunj.?bblost; Are you talking about Hussaini Masjid.?Simply awesome, he serves both the variants of Mutton and Chicken.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:19   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslamHussain View Post
Is the Shah Ghouse at Toli Chowki replacing Niagara Hotel already opened? What are they serving? Is it a full fleged restaurant there?
Yes, a full fledged Shah Ghouse replacing Niagara Hotel @ Toli chowki.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks