Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 12:19   #2266
Senior - BHPian

Raagi Mudde it is!

Now all this talk about Raagi Mudde has made my mouth water and I decided to try. Now the question is who is treating me to it.

P.S: I don't know what is Raagi Mudde and hence would a littlemore description with pictures would be highly appreciated.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:28   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Now all this talk about Raagi Mudde has made my mouth water and I decided to try. Now the question is who is treating me to it.

P.S: I don't know what is Raagi Mudde and hence would a littlemore description with pictures would be highly appreciated.
Ragi mudde (in kannada) also Ragi Sangati(in telugu) is a wholesome meal in Karnataka and Rayalaseema region in India. It is mainly popular with the rural folk of Karnataka. In Tamil, especially in Western Tamil Nadu it is called Ragi Kali.

It is made of ragi (finger millet) flour by pouring the flour (with some amount of salt) into boiling water and mixing the two together to make a soft dough. The dough is then made into tennis-ball sized balls (mudde) and served hot. Ragi mudde is usually eaten with sambar. It can also be eaten with curd. Adding boiled rice to the mixture is a variation in the preparation of Ragi Mudde. The speciality of the dish is that is dipped in sambar or saaru and swallowed.

Ragi mudde is a wholesome food and is a storehouse of numerous nutrients.

This food is also good for diabetic patients and most doctors recommend this

@Avi bhai- Not an appealing pic, but melts in your mouth when served with desi ghee.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-ragi_mudde2.jpg  

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 31st August 2010 at 12:30. Reason: Edit
Old 31st August 2010, 12:31   #2268
BHPian

Guys, don't get too exited about Ragi mudde, you will be thoroughly disappointed.

Its just ragi powder which is mixed with hot water and cooked while stirring at the same time. It is not even supposed to be chewed, but only swallowed. The real taste is of the gravy accompanying the mudde which,most of the time will be a non-veg gravy.

You are supposed to break a bit of the ragi mudde, dip it in gravy and swallow. Be careful when doing that, as it will be hot.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:32   #2269
Senior - BHPian

My Tryst with Haleem Haven

After hearing so many rave reviews about Haleem in the old city, me and a friend decided to visit the primary outlets like Shadab, Pista House, Shah Ghouse and Deccan Paradise.

We started off from my house at 10.15 PM but traffic was horrible after Karachi Bakery and we could only reach Shah Ghouse by 11PM. Ordered 1 plate amongst both of us and the innumerable small bones in the serving just turned off my friend. They should be for this kind of blasphemous act on Irani Haleem. The taste was ok but nothing great. Rating 2.5/5

We decided to skip Pista House as their boxes are available all over the city and instead headed to Shadab. Shadab haleem was of the right consistency and slightly spicy with the flavour of the meat coming out in every morsel. Seemed that the meat had got thoroughly mixed with the wheat and give this consistency and flavour. The presence of whole black pepper also added to the flavour. And not to forget, not a single bone pieces big or small.
Rating 4.5/5

Now need to taste Pista House and ITC Haleem. Anybody got any 50%-100% off coupons left
Old 31st August 2010, 12:35   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post

We never argue while discussing a Haleem 'cos Haleem is our STAPLE food
+1 on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Guys, don't get too exited about Ragi mudde, you will be thoroughly disappointed.

Already answered in my previous post.

We Hydeez do not leave anything to chance
Throughtout investigations are are carried out

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 31st August 2010 at 12:39. Reason: Edit
Old 31st August 2010, 12:36   #2271
BHPian

Thanks to my Maid, yesterday we got to eat some amazing Jawari Roti's. Mom finds it hard to make Jawari Roti's & I would rather not eat it than bothering her to make it. Our Maid was a boon in disguise.

Mom wanted to have a couple of Jawari Roti's & Maid promised us to make them. As I was on WFH yesterday, I ensured that the Jawari Roti's plan was executed.

Mom being a Veggie, opted for a Veg Curry & I being a pure Non-Veggie, opted for a Mutton Curry. My main task was to hand over the mutton & the flour to her. Rest all was taken care of. The only thing I told her was the mutton curry should be spicy, as in REAL SPICY.

These Maid's generally make amazing mutton curry & this was one of those amazing mutton curries i've ever eaten.

Amazing Mutton Curry + Hot Jawari Roti's = HEAVENLY EXPERIENCE.

To cool down the burning sensation in tummy due to the overly spiced up Mutton Curry, we ventured out till Nampally to have Mango Ice Cream at Famous.

This whole thing was followed by Mutton Biryani at Home for Dinner.

Utilized the WFH Opportunity to the best possible extent.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:58   #2272
Distinguished - BHPian

From yesterday, I decided to eat one haleem every day till it gets over.

Last evening, after the gym went to Cafe Bahar and took one as take away. It was simply delicious, almost no bones, loaded with ghee and smooth. Not very thick but, very very nice.

They were looking at me and giggling amongst themselves. Maybe because i was in my gym attire ( shorts and tee). They probably were thinking "gym complete hone ke baad sedhe haleem khane aa gaya yeh"

Today, plan to get from Kabashish Inn at Himayathnagar. I see a lot of crowd there every day. So i assume their haleem is good.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:22   #2273
BHPian

Is "Sankati" a variety of Raagi Mudde or it's an alternate name for raagi mudde's itself?
I heard people order and relish that dish at "rayalseema ruchilu" along with nati kodi curry/gongura chicken/mutton. It's not in the form of ball but it comes in semi-solid form served in a bowl. . .I never acquired the taste for raagi mudde. BTW, Raagi Mudde is not staple food all across karnataka, it's staple food in some parts of southern karnataka (Mandya, Mysore etc)

Quote:
Amazing Mutton Curry + Hot Jawari Roti's = HEAVENLY EXPERIENCE.
+1 to that!! lucky to have such good maid cum cook!

Sorry @Mods. Forgot to use edit function or multi quote function. . .btw, how to delete a post?

Last edited by bblost : 31st August 2010 at 13:51. Reason: you can always use report post to request a merge. Thanks.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:10   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Is "Sankati" a variety of Raagi Mudde or it's an alternate name for raagi mudde's itself?
Ragi Sangati(Telugu) = Ragi Mudde (Kannada)!

I have been a regular customer at Dwaraka in Lakdikapul when I used to live in Anand Nagar Colony and they don't serve Ragi Mudde/Sangati!
Apart from Rayalaseema Ruchilu, Malgudi serves good ragi sangati. (had once at the Lumbini Mall)

BTW, Ani, at what time did you go to Shadab yesterday? I was also there around 11:30 PM!
Old 31st August 2010, 14:19   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

BTW, Ani, at what time did you go to Shadab yesterday? I was also there around 11:30 PM!
I was there around 11.30 wonly. Due to the traffic, didn't even get off the car. Got the parcel in the car and then pulled up little ahead to savour the delicacy along with Thumsup!
Old 31st August 2010, 14:41   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was there around 11.30 wonly. Due to the traffic, didn't even get off the car. Got the parcel in the car and then pulled up little ahead to savour the delicacy along with Thumsup!
Since Nikhil bhai has been praising the Deccan Paradise Haleem for a long time now, why not try it out this week?

You should be on a look out for the Team-BHP stickers near Shadab as Ravvs' car was parked just ahead of Shadab last night!
Old 31st August 2010, 15:05   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since Nikhil bhai has been praising the Deccan Paradise Haleem for a long time now, why not try it out this week?

You should be on a look out for the Team-BHP stickers near Shadab as Ravvs' car was parked just ahead of Shadab last night!
Yes lets do Deccan Paradise this week.

I think you guys would have been just behind me as when I reached there were no cars parked in around shadab.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:39   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Since Nikhil bhai has been praising the Deccan Paradise Haleem for a long time now, why not try it out this week
Quote:
Yes lets do Deccan Paradise this week.
Had a word with Avinash the last Sunday, when we met for Kirkiri's wedding. As the End of Haleem Season is fast approaching and Id being around the corner, it's high time that we have a Proper Haleem Meet at Old City. Nothing beats the charm of Ramzan at Old City.

I've taken the liberty of adding a couple of names based on our discussions and prior posts in the thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2050086
Old 31st August 2010, 17:50   #2279
BHPian

Guys any good places for celebrating Krishna janmastami tomorrow in HYD with good Veg festival food.Please advice or somebody invite me home for a homely festival meal
Old 31st August 2010, 19:11   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Naturals do serve amazing ice creams. Love their natural taste a lot. Try their coconut ice cream, its AWESOME.

Naturals is on Banjara Hills - Srinagar Colony road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
When did they come to Hyderabad.I am an ardent fan of Naturals from last 15-20 years.Love to visit their first branch which is at Bandra.

Nihkil, please let me know their exact location.
I wasn't talking of this outlet but there's another swanky new thing which is started by (if I'm not mistaken) a bunch of fellow alums. I could be wrong.

The Mumbaiya naturals you are talking about is really really nice. Certain flavours (especially the dry fruits ones - I'm a sucker for dry fruits anyway any day) are just fantastic.

@SILVERWOOD this is near Ratnadeep super market on the road which goes from Banjara Hills Road #3 to Srinagar Colony (junction after you cross Southern Spice and before the dargah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
+1 on that.Always try to visit them in Bangalore and Mysore.I love their roasted almonds with vanilla ice cream, topped up with chocolate sauce.
DBC is my personal mostest favourite but yeah I like trilogy, almond-vanilla, French apple cake and a couple of other sundaes. And those thick and creamy ice cream shakes! What heart-burn, I say! Especially from the ones laced with honey. Even black coffee can't give that much heart-burn, I'm sure.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks