Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 16:51   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
With 2,429 posts on this thread enlightening me to the best and worst eating venues in the Twin-Cities, I am now more than ever confused where to dine with family.

Any pointers / suggestions to which venue will be the best for tonight's dinner?
Try Deccan ! Its near your house, so you don't have to get out in this mad traffic. Or else you can also go to Kakatiya
Old 27th September 2010, 18:16   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Try Deccan ! Its near your house, so you don't have to get out in this mad traffic. Or else you can also go to Kakatiya
Thanks for the pointers, Ani.

Home delivery is pretty much restricted to Tung Kein (Chinese), Hub (Indian) and Dominos (Pizza).

Kakatiya Dakshin's Sea Food Thali was gorged recently - costed 11K for 7 of us with some veg and some n/v.

So, The Grand Wok, it is ... 2nd time in a week.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:16   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The general ambiance did not appeal to us much when compared to Kakatiya.
My recent experience with the Taj Banjara wasn't that great as well. The maintenance is a shambles compared to other multi-star hotels, and the less said about the food (an outdoor party catering arrangement in the hotel premises so it was food from their kitchen) the better.

I don't know how the a la carte food is.

I thought the buffet in the Taj Residency was "decent", though.

Regards,
Prashanth
Old 28th September 2010, 13:07   #2434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers, Ani.

Home delivery is pretty much restricted to Tung Kein (Chinese), Hub (Indian) and Dominos (Pizza).

Kakatiya Dakshin's Sea Food Thali was gorged recently - costed 11K for 7 of us with some veg and some n/v.

So, The Grand Wok, it is ... 2nd time in a week.
I know its late. I would have suggested "Sigree" which is closer to home as a friend went last week and came back impressed. Rs.525 all inclusive ( fare similar to BBQ Nation) just that they serve it ala-carte on table.

Last evening ordered some snacks from "Shahji-Ka-Dhaba" in Himayathnagar and we made a special request to the owner ( known to us) to make it perfect. We stood outside and watched it being prepared through the open window.

Tandoori Chicken
Chicken Tikka
Pepper Chicken

All the items were quite delicious and is much better quality and quantity than their Lakdikapul outlet.

Pepper chicken was one of the most tastiest that i ever had. Almost no coating on it.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:27   #2435
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Calcutta Cabin this afternoon for lunch and ordered 4 NV thalis. (SILVERWOOD +3)

Food was good,but the quantity of N.V gravies have reduced drastically.

Total Damages:Rs 760.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:44   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With 2,429 posts on this thread enlightening me to the best and worst eating venues in the Twin-Cities, I am now more than ever confused where to dine with family.
While this problem will never go away (and only increase with time) one of the things that we can do before posting about our experience with any outlet is to search the thread for the name of that outlet and read all posts about the experience.

Normally I would suggest not to repost unless you have something new to add but in this case, we could quote the older posts just add an "amen/+1/I agree" thing so that people who are new to this thread can see the name of the outlet and also get some context. This is one of the disadvantages of a bulletin board over a Wiki.

Over time, this approach will lead to a "refresh" of the experience (with context) and also over time, any newcomers to the thread will automatically get to hear/see the names of most of the outlets that they haven't heard before.

Of course, if you have a specific outlet in mind then you can just search the thread, read about it and post after coming back.

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th September 2010, 17:58   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Of course, if you have a specific outlet in mind then you can just search the thread, read about it and post after coming back.
Prashant, Bajaj Saab was asking for suggestions but was not asking or checking about a particular outlet. Moreover, Bajaj Saab is the one, who was instrumental in getting the Discount for Hydies TBHP Members. If this post comes from Bajaj Saab, it means that he is in true search for a new outlet or a new place to eat, rather the tried and tested ones. No Hard feelings, but just wanted to let you know about it
Old 28th September 2010, 19:28   #2438
BHPian

Even though this isin't a foodie report/review about some restaurant i've been to offlate, but about something i've done the last weekend. It's been long since i've stopped eating out. Not because I am on a diet regime but more of religious reasons. Ganesh Chaturthi, followed by Shrad Season, which would be followed by Navratri. So, it's gonna be home made food or mostly vegetarian food at home or when ever I go out.

It was raining cats and dogs the last saturday evening & this was the reason, why we wanted to venture out... Go out on a long drive, have some fun riding in the rain, getting drenched in the rain and then get some food from outside for dinner.

Apart from getting drenched in rain, the plan was to go to Maharaj's Chat Bandi near Begum Bazaar Chatri, have some amazing chat & cutlet-ragda there and then move on to Santosh Dhaba for a take away.

However we started off late from home as the rains were not permitting us to step out. The mere 12 seconds of it was more than enough for us as the rain drops the size of a buffalo was hitting us left-right-corner. So, we returned back home for a hot cup of coffee and some snacks.

Atlast, we ventured out at 7.30 after the rain subsided. As we started, we got calls from family members updating us about the road conditions as shown on TV9. Believe, the flooding of Malakpet Roads as mentioned on TV9 wasn't true at all. There wasn't even a single puddle of water in the Malakpet area. Looks like News Channels take it for granted about the condition and say what they feel like.

Driving through practically empty streets, we take the Kothapet - DSNR - Malakpet - Dabeerpura - High Court route.

My evil eyes sighted the fresh sheermal's being made at the numerous outlets near City College. If it would have been the regular Square shaped one, I would have carried on and moved ahead. But, it was those heart shaped smaller ones, which I love a lot. So, it was bound to be purchased at any cost. Hence, stopped my bike bang in the middle of the road to buy those Hot Off The Kiln Heart Shaped Sheermal's. 10 Fresh Sheermals packed for Dinner

Bang opposite to High Court, we see our regular Chat waala's stall. So we stop over for a plate of Kachori Ragda & Ragda Cutlet. All I can say is, His Kachori Ragda is simply amazing and heavenly. Nothing beats the taste of this Kachori Ragda. 3 Plates of Ragda (wifey had 1.15 Ragds & 1.85 Ragda was devoured by me) later, we felt its time to move on.

Reached Maharaj's Chat Bandi near Begum Bazaar Chatri. Had one Dahi Papdi Chat and then moved on to our planned destination "Santosh Dhaba"

The menu was pretty much decided as we wanted to have Kaju Butter Masala, which has been our favourite for ages & would be for ages to come for sure. So, packed 2 plates of Kaju Butter Masala from Santosh Dhaba.

During out wait for Take Away at Santosh Dhaba, that my evil mind hatched another plan, why not take a couple of Fresh Irani Samosa's home. Only a couple of places serve hot Irani Samosa's at that time of the night. Either Bombay Hotel at Rani Gunj or the Irani Samosa Bhatti at Musheerabad. This was a hard choice as such as we were at Begum Bazaar and Samosa's were at the other side of the city. In order to buy those Samosa's we would have to forego our idea to have Ice Cream at Famous & also take home a litre of Mango Pot Ice Cream as Take Away from Famous.

We took a unanimous decission, which I know was more of enforced by me... Lets go directly to Musheerabad, buy Samosa's & then come back to Famous Ice Cream, have Ice Cream and then go home.

Reached Musheerabad & Purchased Irani Samosa's from the Outlet. One of the most amazing Samosa's i've ever eaten. Been a fan of this days, right from my College Days.

Post the Samosa Buying Session, we reached Famous for a quick round of Mango Pot Ice Cream and then packed a litre of Mango Ice Cream for home.

All said & done, this was one of those foodie adventures, that very few people take in order to satisfy their taste buds.

Imagine driving in drizzling rain, loittering around the city, buying stuff from various outlets for a one time meal called as DINNER.

We did have dinner after we reached home at 10.30.

10 Hot Off The Kiln Heart Shaped Sheermal: Rs. 50/-
3 Ragda Cutlet & Kachori Ragda: Rs. 54/-
Dahi Papdi Chat: Rs. 20/-
Kaju Butter Masala: Rs. 110/-
20 Hot Irani Samosa's: Rs. 20/-
2 Scoops Mango Ice Cream: Rs. 24/-
1 Ltr Mango Pot Ice Cream: Rs. 80/-
Overall cost: Rs. 358/-

Overall Fun Factor: UNLIMITED.

This is life & we've lived it to the fullest the other day too.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:24   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Prashant, Bajaj Saab was asking for suggestions but was not asking or checking about a particular outlet. No Hard feelings, but just wanted to let you know about it
Yeah when I added in that last line I knew it was not coming out right. I should've worded that better. Definitely no hard feelings on my side.

When I used the word "you" in that line I was referring in the general - i.e. to anyone who hops on to this thread later and perhaps chances upon that post.

My sincere apologies to Bajaj sahab!

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th September 2010, 21:31   #2440
BHPian

Arre bhai, nothing to be sorry for. It was just a casual post from my side.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:33   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre bhai, nothing to be sorry for. It was just a casual post from my side.
So where did you go finally?

Meanwhile, I gave a try to Sheek and Chicken kebabs from Bade Miyan Kebabs @ Somajiguda and all of us enjoyed those to the hilt.

Is it true that the ones on Tank Bund taste better?
Old 28th September 2010, 22:12   #2442
BHPian

Thats true that their Tank Bund stuff tastes a lot better. Been a regular at their original outlet for ages. Love all most everything served there. Especially if you are going there on sunday, then be ready for their Patthar Ka Gosth. Even though it is sold everyday at their Somajiguda outlet, but the one at Tank Bund tastes a lot different. Try it out once is all i can say.
Old 29th September 2010, 07:48   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I know its late. I would have suggested "Sigree" which is closer to home as a friend went last week and came back impressed. Rs.525 all inclusive ( fare similar to BBQ Nation) just that they serve it ala-carte on table.
I think it is Flame & Grill which competes with BBQ-N while Sigree serves peshawari cuisine on Bukhara lines. With BBQ-N around, Flame & Grill stands no chance of attracting me. I have been to Sigree twice and found it to be highly overated and expensive.

Off topic, even after expanding their seating capacity to double size, BBQ-N is facing a situation where people need to wait 45 minutes for a table. Me-thinks it is time we reviewed the 1st floor of the restaurant.

Quote:
My evil eyes sighted the fresh sheermal's being made at the numerous outlets near City College. If it would have been the regular Square shaped one, I would have carried on and moved ahead. But, it was those heart shaped smaller ones, which I love a lot. So, it was bound to be purchased at any cost. Hence, stopped my bike bang in the middle of the road to buy those Hot Off The Kiln Heart Shaped Sheermal's. 10 Fresh Sheermals packed for Dinner
10 Hot Off The Kiln Heart Shaped Sheermal: Rs. 50/-
Slurp .... I need the address and detailed guide to the best "sheermal" in Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Yeah when I added in that last line I knew it was not coming out right. I should've worded that better. Definitely no hard feelings on my side.

When I used the word "you" in that line I was referring in the general - i.e. to anyone who hops on to this thread later and perhaps chances upon that post.

My sincere apologies to Bajaj sahab!

Regards,
spadix
Hey, no apologies needed as that will lower the high standards of this group. No offence meant by you and no offence taken by me. Let there be only one winner - good food. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So where did you go finally?

Meanwhile, I gave a try to Sheek and Chicken kebabs from Bade Miyan Kebabs @ Somajiguda and all of us enjoyed those to the hilt.

Is it true that the ones on Tank Bund taste better?
I hit The Grand Wok next to BBQ-N for chinese buffet.

Did you try any of their 3 new items : fish and 2 types of chicken?

There is no difference in taste between the TankBund & Somajiguda outlets as the marinations, making of chutneys, etc. is from a common kitchen - their ancesteral home. The only difference is ambience of the 2 outlets and I do believe that ambience does make a difference to taste.
Old 1st October 2010, 11:34   #2444
Team-BHP Support

Last night decided to have a short drive, given that there was hardly any traffic.

Found Ohri's Rd 12 open. Decided to have a Chola Batura and ice cream.

Once inside found a good looking Bengali buffet. Price 349++.
Final bill for two and a bottle of water was Rs 837.

The spread was decent. But turns out I am not a fan of Bengali cuisine. The slightly bitter taste in mustard is a problem.

The spread had poori's. Soft and nice.
Some fish gravy. The fish was Rohu. I think the fish is fried and then added to the gravy. It was quite nice and well cooked.
A oily mutton dish. The mutton was tender but dark. All the cuts were karela gosh. I dont know the English term for it.
There was also some rice dish. In color and consistency it looked like khichda. But was made with fish. It was ok.

There were a couple of veg dishes as well. They contained bitter gourd. I don't like bitter gourd. My wife did enjoy this dish. Me not so much.

I liked the Veg pulao.
There was a plastic chutney. Tangy and sweet. I liked it.

Desert had rosagolla and malai roll.
There was also rice kheer and some dal halwa.
The rice kheer was a lot like milk rice.
There was also the mandatory ice cream and fruit salad.

Service as usual was good. We were waited on my a guy called Vijay Anand. If someone from Ohri's is reading this. That is a very GOOD guy you have there.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:42   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Courtyard has a Buffet lunch this Sunday priced at 299+ at their Momo cafe.Expect it to be good.

Most Viewed