Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 14:16   #2446
BHPian

FYI, there is a new outlet of McDonalds opened up on S.D.Road today. This is bang opposite Minerva Complex.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:47   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
FYI, there is a new outlet of McDonalds opened up on S.D.Road today. This is bang opposite Minerva Complex.
That road is super-clogged as it is (which is probably why McD opened there, come to think of it).

This is going to make it worse :(.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st October 2010, 14:54   #2448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Courtyard has a Buffet lunch this Sunday priced at 299+ at their Momo cafe.Expect it to be good.
Just a 4-course lunch. Nevertheless, should be good

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Finally they opened. Saw their sign that their opening many months ago. Nice to know but, i am a fan of Zinger Burger or best of all in hyderabad. King and Cardinal. No burger to beat it.

So macha as its walking distance from your work, your lunch this week is fixed there..huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That road is super-clogged as it is (which is probably why McD opened there, come to think of it).

This is going to make it worse :(.

Regards,
spadix
+1. I wouldnt even think of going to parklane on a bike during afternoons. Completely chaotic. Mostly due to crowds visiting CTC.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:58   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
best of all in hyderabad. King and Cardinal. No burger to beat it.
I've heard a lot about King and Cardinal even when I was in school, but somehow never had the opportunity to taste one. Universal Bakery (both MG Road and Himayatnagar) is my long-time favourite for burgers.

There also used to be this joint called Burgerola behind Sangeet Theatre which we never would go to because of the "slippery floor" (excuse for not having enough pocket money to afford the stuff there ). That was supposed to be good too.

These days though it's mostly McD because better half likes those more.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st October 2010, 15:07   #2450
Team-BHP Support

I don't remember the name.

But I came back super impressed.
From Hi Tech city side, you come to Kothaguda Xroads. Take the right. This restaurant is on the immediately left.
Adjacent to a bakery called Krisps and Bakes or something.

1 Chicken Biryani.
1 Butter Chicken
3 Rotis.

Bill Rs 265/-

Totally worth it and great VFM.
Old 1st October 2010, 15:13   #2451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've heard a lot about King and Cardinal even when I was in school, but somehow never had the opportunity to taste one. Universal Bakery (both MG Road and Himayatnagar) is my long-time favourite for burgers.

There also used to be this joint called Burgerola behind Sangeet Theatre which we never would go to because of the "slippery floor" (excuse for not having enough pocket money to afford the stuff there ). That was supposed to be good too.

These days though it's mostly McD because better half likes those more.

Regards,
spadix
Universal Bakers burgers have gone down the drain long back. Actually since that handsome owner who chain smokes behind the counter stopped being the management. Their burgers ( both outlets) taste CRAP

Again samething goes for Burgerola, used to be decent but not as good as K&C. That used to be my date meeting point long long back

K&C is the king of burgers and his unique style of burger is uncomparble with generous doses of mayo. Actually, i had a burger yesterday night for dinner. Chicken Burger and Thumbs-Up...superb combination and a nice light dinner

Only other place that i like where burgers are comparable or come a close second is ( Forgot the name of the bakers) in Srinagar Colony just before the famous wedding hall. Here, their mutton burgers are better than chicken whereas in K&C, its vice-versa.
Old 1st October 2010, 15:35   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
You missed the best thing Prashanth. Anyways, it not that late either. KC's still there and waiting for you to pay a visit. One of the eateries i would love going back to, at any given point of time.

Quote:
There also used to be this joint called Burgerola behind Sangeet Theatre which we never would go to because of the "slippery floor" (excuse for not having enough pocket money to afford the stuff there). That was supposed to be good too.
Quote:
Again samething goes for Burgerola, used to be decent but not as good as K&C. That used to be my date meeting point long long back
Burgerola was in the same place, where you see Sharradha Exclusive outlet now. Burgerola does make me feel nostalgic. Those were the days, we used to hang out and have fun at these outlets. There was more to Burgerola, than just Burgers or Pizza's. It was more about being at the hippest hangout joint of those days in Secunderabad.

Avinash Bhai, hope you also remember Fantasy, in the Sangeet Theatre Compound. We've always been fans of that place & were regular patrons there. I've always loved their Root B**r & Fantasy Special Ch*mp*gn*(mod's no infractions please as Root B**r & Fantasy Special Ch*mp*gn* were the names of the fruit punches he used to sell there.)

Their Fruit Juices with French Fries were the best in the world and very very economical during those times. It used to be Save Some Money, Drive to Sangeet, Have a juice or two with French Fries & Back Home

Quote:
Universal Bakers burgers have gone down the drain long back. Their burgers ( both outlets) taste CRAP
I would say, everything at UB has gone down in drain. Other day, I had to purchase a cake at Himayat Nagar & Cake House was closed due to reasons unknown. That's when I landed at UB for the Cake. It was the worst cake i've ever had in my whole life. Wish UB rectifies its mistake before its toooo late.

Quote:
K&C is the king of burgers and his unique style of burger is uncomparble with generous doses of mayo.
I love his Chicken Salad Snack, which has the most generous amount of mayo on it. It looks like, the Base is only to support the Mayo on top. I still love his Chocolate Eclairs, Chicken Croissant a lot. Why are you reminding me of all these today

Quote:
Only other place that i like where burgers are comparable or come a close second is ( Forgot the name of the bakers) in Srinagar Colony just before the famous wedding hall.
Big Bite Bakery at Sri Nagar Colony.

Last edited by traveloholic : 1st October 2010 at 15:36.
Old 1st October 2010, 15:58   #2453
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil, I agree with you. Fantasy was another hotspot for great snacks like burgers, soft drinks with good ambience.

Like Fantasy and Burgerola was to Sec'bad. Gosh, again the name eludes me even though its so close to home. Next to Minerva Coffee Shop, Himayathnagar?? This used to be god for young teenagers to catch up in those days.

P.S: You got it right. But, its Big Byte !!!. Owner of that place knows me very well. Imagine how many times i must have visited him...LOL
Old 1st October 2010, 16:03   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Next to Minerva Coffee Shop, Himayathnagar?? This used to be god for young teenagers to catch up in those days.
Pick'n'Move. Was one of the best places to have Chicken Fried Rice or Chicken Noodles. He had everything under one roof. Right from Bakery to Ice Creams to Dining, everything. Most of the hottest properties of hyderabad were spotted here.

If Pick'n'Move was one of the hottest places of Hyderabad, then the other one was Wimpy's at Country Club. Pick'n'Move, Universal Bakers, Wimpy's used to do brisk business during their hay days.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:32   #2455
BHPian

Been a Vegetarian for a couple of days and would be for a couple of days to come. Been off the Non-Veg hook for the past 3 weeks and would continue so for another 3 weeks.

In a situation like this, a visit to any restuarant is out of the list. I am bound to bounce back to my Non-Veggie fare at the mere sight of it & the temptation is hard to resist. Hence I am sticking to Veggie Restaurants mostly.

Yesterday, Thursday was no different from any other day of the week. As usual, I was YAWNING & trying to catch a wink at office, when my team member comes up to me to wake me up from my Golden Slumber to declare his intention of treating the team for Lunch. He asked me for options & I was real shrewd in finalizing the options.

I was more interested not to tempt myself with the Non-Veggie food. Hence, I had 2 options on hand. Either Sattva, near DLF Cyber City or The Red Bean. That's when I remembered MAST KALANDAR. I've spotted the very same day, while coming to office & hence it was something worth the try. Given the 100% VEG tag it carries with itself. It was bound to be finalized and it was.

Have seen the outlet daily while driving to office & the lively color combinations used for interiors were amazing. The whole thing looked LIVELY.

Something I would like to highlight before I move on explaining what I had & my experience: "Man, am bowled over by the food served there. Never ever knew Veg Food tastes this good."

The Menu at Mast Kalandar is more of pre-planned platter. But the variety is amazing. They've a special offer on, for every 3 Plates ordered, the 4th one comes free.

Ordered the following:
2 plates of Maxi Kebab Platter @ Rs.145/-
3 Plates of Full Full Biryani Combo @ Rs.111/-
2 Plates of The Great Indian Maha Combo @ Rs.125/-
4 Mango Lassi @ Rs.48/-
1 Masala Shikanji @ Rs.36/-
2 Gulab Jamuns @ Rs.44/-

We opted for Maxi Kebab Platter as it was far more better than ordering each individual one. The Maxi Kebab Platter consisted of 4 pieces of Paneer Tikka, 4 pieces of Aloo Sikandari & 4 pieces of Subz Sheek Kebab.

The mere mention of Maxi Kebab Platter unleashes a Tsunami in my mouth.

The Kebabs are cooked to perfection and are amazing. The marination on Paneer Tikka and Aloo Sikandari is amazing and is bound to make you feel hungry. The waiter forgot bringing the Subz Sheek Kebab & it was delivered much later as he got the platter in a hurry and forgot the Sheek Kebab's inside. The Chef came out running and personally apologized for the mistake. In order to ensure and build up the required clientele, he offered us another 4 pieces of Paneer Tikka as a freebie.

Mango Lassi was thick and was short of becoming a Shrikhand. Wish it was a bit more thicker and I would have had it with a Spoon for sure.

Appetizers done, main course was served.

Full Full Biryani Combo is made up of the following: Lucknowi Veg Biryani served with Daal Makhani, Butter Naan, Raita, Salad & one Papad. Don't go by the mere listing of 4 items. Imagine, a person like me found it hard to finish off my Full Full Biryani Combo. It was too tempting to see & equally tempting to devour. I would strongly recommend this, if you would love to have some veg biryani.

The Great Indian Maha Combo is made up of the following: 2 Laccha Parantha's served with Daal Makhani, Paneer Curry, Rice, Raita, Salad, Desert. The Laccha Parantha's were kind of dipped in pure ghee types. Which had the taste of Pure Ghee till the deepest crust of the parantha. Even at the last layer, you can feel the ghee and the taste of it. It's awesome and tastes great. The whole combo on the whole is very very economical and amazing.

As the people, who ordered Full Full Biryani Combo were deprived of the Deserts, we orderd 2 Gulab Jamuns. One of the most softest gulab jamuns & if you love Gulab Jamuns, then this is a MAST have at Mast Kalandar.

Overall, I would rate it 4 out of 5 for the food & ambience. It's very very economical and truly value for money.

The whole of this costed us about Rs.1100/-. Found this to be TRUE VFM.

Address: Mast Kalandar, Above The Cream & Fudge Factory & Pizza Corner, Near HDFC Bank/Wanton/Shanghai Chef.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:38   #2456
Team-BHP Support

Mast kalandar in the Shilaramam Complex is very good.
But the seats are limited.
My advice is to go early around noon for lunch.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:49   #2457
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, thats the one. Pick n Move. It is still open but, come to think of it. Its closed. If i may offer you a riddle

Been to Mast Kalandhar twice for lunch. Found them to be good. Rich veggie food like how you get back in Delhi and upwards.

Only complaint, its way too rich ( read butter, ghee etc) and very noisy.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:54   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, thats the one. Pick n Move. It is still open but, come to think of it. Its closed. If i may offer you a riddle
Pick N Move's been replaced by Spicy King Restaurant.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:10   #2459
Senior - BHPian

Big Byte is totally awesome! We regularly order cakes from there now (as it's closer than Cakes 'n' More). The owner there recognizes my in-laws and other relatives of the better half, so you have company Avi .

Also try Hungry Jack in SR Nagar (near Umesh Chandra statue). Used to be very good in 2003. I don't know about now but every time I drive past I still see a huge crowd.

Also, Kesava Reddy Sweets (in particular the outlet enroute Gachibowli X roads from Kothaguda X roads). Very nice burgers, and absolutely amazing, mind-blowing Calcutta-style pani puri (the pani is not for the faint-hearted).

Couple of other favourites from school days - Baker's Inn (not that great now) and another place whose name I forget. This is at Nagarjuna Circle, while going from P'gutta towards Road No. 1, just after you cross Bata. It's Midways or Midlands or something - just can't remember now (and too lazy to check Google Maps).

The general theme is that these oldies seem to be losing their touch. In fact I don't think even Corn Club (not that old) operates now. We used to love the stuff there.

Mast Kalandar food is good, but the torture you have to subject yourself to get a plate of that food is just too much. It's worse than the Minerva outlet at Himayatnagar. I generally like it when I spend more time eating than waiting (which is why I hate cooking as well). This reminds me - how is the Minerva behind Maithrivanam now? It used to be very empty during my halcyon days (read: first few months as a working man) in 2003.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 1st October 2010 at 18:13.
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:00   #2460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Pick N Move's been replaced by Spicy King Restaurant.
Is it? I still see P "N" M still open. And, Spicy King is not replaced it. Its in the lane and behind P "N" M.

It's owned by the same person ( Babul Reddy) who also owns :-

Hotel Siddhartha ( Koti)
Palace Heights
Minverva Coffee Shop ( All outlets)
Blue Fox ( All outlets)

Quote:
Big Byte is totally awesome! We regularly order cakes from there now (as it's closer than Cakes 'n' More). The owner there recognizes my in-laws and other relatives of the better half, so you have company Avi .
He compliments me each time. Saying you lost lot of weight...looking good...your looking handsome today etc.

Is that a business trick so i order more food?

Most Viewed