Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 12:26   #2626
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening, we visited the sandwich shop at Balaji Grand Bazaar in Basheerbagh after a long time.

Had these :-

Regular Sandwiches ( Rs.15 each)
Toasted Sandwiches ( Rs. 25 each)
Samosa with bhel ( Rs. 15 each)

This is easily one of the best place in our city to enjoy sandwiches. Truly marvellous sandwiches

Regulars were very tasty

Toasted were out of this world.

Samosa can be avoided

Need to make it a point to visit them regularly. Apart from good sandwiches there is an added attraction of good crowd
Old 29th October 2010, 12:41   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Last evening, we visited the sandwich shop at Balaji Grand Bazaar in Basheerbagh after a long time.

Apart from good sandwiches there is an added attraction of good crowd
+1 for the great sandwiches and for the good crowd at Balaji

Do not miss the juice on the opp side.He makes the best mango juice (Alphonso) during summers, the best watermelon juice and falsa (Grewia asiatica) juice in Summers .The fruit is an edible drupe 5-12 mm diameter, purple when ripe and has medicinal properties.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 29th October 2010 at 12:42.
Old 29th October 2010, 13:05   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
+1 for the great sandwiches and for the good crowd at Balaji

Do not miss the juice on the opp side.He makes the best mango juice (Alphonso) during summers, the best watermelon juice and falsa (Grewia asiatica) juice in Summers .The fruit is an edible drupe 5-12 mm diameter, purple when ripe and has medicinal properties.
The best falsa juice that i had was at a small bandhi outside Hanuman Temple at Mozamjahi market some years ago.

None of the fancy juice centers could match that taste (yet). Dont even know if that bandhi fellow operates there anymore
Old 29th October 2010, 13:48   #2629
BHPian

He is still there Avi Bhai. He sells Falsa Juice all through out the year. It's Navrang Juice Center on Mozamjahi Road, opposite to Hanuman/Ram Temple. This area is known as Jam Bagh X Roads.

He also sells concentrates. Try his Falsa, Khus, Green Apple. I would say most of his concentrates are amazing and VFM for sure. Each 1ltr bottle of Concentrate costs about 60/-
Old 29th October 2010, 14:30   #2630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
He is still there Avi Bhai. He sells Falsa Juice all through out the year. It's Navrang Juice Center on Mozamjahi Road, opposite to Hanuman/Ram Temple. This area is known as Jam Bagh X Roads.

He also sells concentrates. Try his Falsa, Khus, Green Apple. I would say most of his concentrates are amazing and VFM for sure. Each 1ltr bottle of Concentrate costs about 60/-
Are you sure he sells Falsa through out the year.?

Falsa is a seasonal fruit which is available only for 4-5 weeks in Apr-May.

Grewia asiatica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29th October 2010, 15:18   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
If this is the case, then you should try the Paani Puri at Begum Bazaar. Been a patron of his for ages & believe me or now, he uses ice cold mineral water to make the Paani for Paani Puri, the Paani Puri tastes amazing with Ice Cold Paani. The perfect mixture of Steaming Hot Chanaa's with Ice Cold Paani makes it a worthwhile experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Please give me the exact location?
Will it be open at 11am?
I will be in Begum Bazar to pick up the dry fruits for Diwali from Om tomorrow.
If possible, mark it on GoogleMap/Wikimapia for me.
Thanks!
Nikhil, I missed eating the paani puri at Begum Bazar today. Planning to visit again. Kindly guide me to the exact location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Bajaj saab, any idea what is the price for Chilgoza. I see them at Karachi Bakery and the price was around 1,200 a kilo.
My local vendor does not have these. 1,200 is too high a price but these are so rare here. Have not eaten them in such a long time. Please help.
Thanks.
Imran, I had seen & picked up 100 gm chilgoze last year from Om. Thoroughly disappointed. They were totally soggy. Never thought of buying them with chilka - too much pain to peel them (could this be the reason why I do not eat moongfali). I did not browse this forum today morning so missed seeing your query and hence did not enquire.

SriOmCompany_DryFruits.pdf

Okay, missed eating Paani Puri so compensated it by visiting Ram Singh located just after Siddambar Bazar Mata Mandir for his lovely soft fantastic delicious Gulab-Jamuns which are priced @ 10/- each. Also had a plate of Matare Wali Aloo Tikki priced @ 14/-. He is located at Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 29th October 2010 at 15:38.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:21   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Are you sure he sells Falsa through out the year?
Yes Waseem Bhai, he sells Falsa throughout the year. He makes Falsa concentrate and sells it throughout the year. You should try it once.
Old 29th October 2010, 15:26   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Waseem Bhai, he sells Falsa throughout the year. He makes Falsa concentrate and sells it throughout the year. You should try it once.
Haan sir, i know that.I had picked up one bottle of Falsa concentrate last summer.

I was talking about juice made out of Falsa fruit.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:15   #2634
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Residency hotel in Nampally. I don't recollect its full name but it's got this lunch buffet with stupendous variety ranging from average to good in taste. And it's total paisa vasool stuff.

Now, the task is to identify something similar/equivalent closer to KPHB/Miyapur/[BJ] Hills/Madhapur/Kondapur. Similarity is a must because most of the people who are going to attend this dinner are those who don't want to try new things, and anything "different" will be a total party-downer.

Any pointers?

Regards,
spadix
Old 31st October 2010, 11:24   #2635
BHPian

Not exactly about eating out in the Twin Cities ...

Come Diwali and it is time to light up and enjoy. Crackers are an integral part of the festival though they are the source of very severe air and sound pollution.

Shanthi Fireworks in Feelkhana/OsmanGunj and Bhavani in Secunderabad are the most famous but I tend to stick to "Vishnu" Fire Works since I find the shop to be better organised ... ample parking, shopping carts like in supermarkets to make purchases, electronic billing via check out counters like in supermarkets, etc.

Vishnu Fireworks have started an outlet on Balkampet Road thus saving me the petrol and time to travel to OsmanGunj. Their outlet is located at Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Today being the last sunday before Diwali, I went and finished my purchases (or should I say I went and paid the bill while my kid made the purchases).

Samples of pricing :
1) Standard brand "TriColour Fountain" - 5 Anars, MRP 878, Purchase Price 180.
2) Standard brand "Colour Flowers" - 10 Giant Anars, MRP 757, Purchase Price 150.
3) Standard brand "Zameen Chakkars Deluxe" - 50 pieces, MRP 1930, Purchase Price 400.
4) Standard "Gold Sparklers" 15 cm - 50 pieces, MRP 695, Purchase Price 150.
5) Standard brand "Electric Crackers" - 25 Ladis, MRP 1175, Purchase Price 250.

All in all, MRP of my bill was 17,797 while I paid 3,130 in all. A whopping 82.4 % discount on MRP.

Happy Diwali!!!
Old 1st November 2010, 15:36   #2636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Residency hotel in Nampally.
My reception was held in this hotel. So i think i remember this hotel

Friday ( Oct 29th)

Dinner was at "Sholay"

Tomato Soup
Veg Platter
Ragda Mutton
Paneer Tikka Masala
Roti Platter

First time noticed, Tomato Soup comes with 2 bread buns and butter.

All other dishes were as usual excellent

Ragda Mutton was the highlight. It had meat kheema as gravy and large chunks of meat as the pieces. I like the pieces to be small not huge sized. Taste wise it was excellent.

Total Damages : Rs.850

Then from there visited Naturals at Secunderabad and enjoyed Sithapal and Roasted Almonds. Delicious is a subtle word

Then took a U-turn and headed towards Lakdi ka pul for some masala thums-up. Superb. Btw, he hiked the rate from Rs.20 to Rs.25

Saturday ( Oct 30)

There was a pre-diwali meet at Milecrunchers place and there were 15+ friends who turned up to wish each other for a safe and happy diwali

Food was ordered from Deccan something ( at Somajiguda)

All gravy dishes were superb and Andhra Mutton stood out like a "fine thumb"

There was a mughlai chicken cooked in white sauce or gravy. It was different and quite nice in a blandish way.

Mutton Biryani was quite sad

Sunday ( Oct 31)

Got up early for a thing that i dont do usually.

Enjoy breakfast. Went to Minerva Coffee Shop and had Button Idli with Butter ( excellent), Wada ( Better than excellent) and Masala Dosa ( Shame on them)

Idlis are Rs.40 a plate
Wadas Rs.45
Masala Dosa is Rs.55 which was not worth at all

But, the ambience and eye catching crowd on a sunday morning for breakfast is worth the moolah you shell out

Followed by a lovely drive to Gandipet and Himayathsagar and return home via. the ORR. Gandipet has so much water, its worth a visit if someone wants a quick picnic close to home.

Lunch was home made food with a Chicken Fry ( Rs.80) and Gongura Mutton (Rs.95) from Megha Spicy Food in Ameerpet. Quite nice and meat was really tender

Dinner was Burgers and Wings from KFC

Whew! That was too much eating out. This entire week switched back to starvation and exercise mode
Old 1st November 2010, 16:22   #2637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My reception was held in this hotel. So i think i remember this hotel
You "think"? I should let your better half know about this inappropriate choice of word .

Update: The venue for the buffet dinner has been decided as Taj Tristar. I don't know if heart of Sec'bad at around 8:30 pm is any "closer" to KPHB/Miyapur than Nampally :(.

Does anyone know of any temple with a car God that can listen to prayers to protect car clutches from "bad things"? I promise to become a believer.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st November 2010, 19:18   #2638
Senior - BHPian

I had my lunch at Hotel Shyam, opp Jain temple,MG,road on last Saturday (SILVERWOOD + 4 adults and 3 kids)

Amazing Veg thali and wonderful service.70rs for adults and 35 for kids.

Yesterday, i had my lunch at Mohini Restaurant @ basheer bagh (SILVERWOOD +5) and ordered the following

1, Paneer tikka-Did not taste
2, Kadai chicken-Liked it.
3, Mutton biriyani-2 No's-Great taste
4, Boness chicken biriyani-This was for me, liked it a lot.
5, Rumali roti
6, Kulfi-4 No's-My favorite.

Total damages- Rs 900 with tips.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:11   #2639
BHPian

Been to pongal at one place KPHB for lunch on sunday after Pulsar56 recommended It,The veg thali lives up to its expectations and VFM for Rs.90+taxes.The menu changes every day and on sunday it was,

Mixed veg curry
Alu fry
Tomato dal
Sambar
Rasam
Pachi pulusu
Dahi wada 1 pc.
Tomato rice 1 cup.
Khaja 1pc.
Avakai & lime pickle
Kandi podi & curryleaf podi
Papad
Curd
All this served with 2 Pc.Puri and Rice followed by meetha pan.

Last edited by arcotsrinivas : 1st November 2010 at 20:14.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:42   #2640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcotsrinivas View Post
Been to pongal at one place KPHB for lunch on sunday after Pulsar56 recommended It,The veg thali lives up to its expectations and VFM for Rs.90+taxes.
100 bucks for a Veg thali doesnt sound too VFM. I think same price you can get one in Chutney's, Southern Spice and much lesser with almost same items in places like Minvera, Shanbagh etc.

Its been a few years since i had a thali. My favorite was the Andhra Mess ( Kakatiya) at Ameerpet opp. to Swathi. However, that was many years ago and now we cannot visit that place as its too small and not at all decent for a meal ( ambience wise)

But, since you seemed to have enjoyed it so much. Then its got to be worth it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks