Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 12:16   #271
BHPian

Anybody visited Shanghai chef @ madhapur?

Also saw this place called Sweet Nirvana on rd no 44 -jubilee hills (next to some state art gallery),anyone been there ?
Old 16th December 2008, 13:31   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post

Also saw this place called Sweet Nirvana on rd no 44 -jubilee hills (next to some state art gallery),anyone been there ?

Shanghai Chef- Please avoid- it is pretty crap.

Sweet Nirvana- fairly decent deserts, food OK OK, ambience great, prices on the higher side. I happen to know the owner.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:31   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening went out for drinks and dinner with a close friend who came down from US. We went to a place called Sai Prakash in Nampally. It's like a 2 * property and has good ambience and tasty food. I use to go there for drinks quite a few times in the past.

We had :

Black Dog Scotch - 6 Pegs ( Bloody reasonable price of Rs.200 for a 60ML)
Tawa Fish ( Rs.200)
Andhra Fish Fry ( Rs.185)
Chicken Tikka Masala ( Rs.185)
Rotis
Egg Fried Rice ( Rs.140)

Bill was approximately Rs.2000

Fish was absolutely fabulous and we just wanted to have fish and my friend started relishing good fish since our trip to Goa together this year in february.

Nice cozy place for discussion and relaxation as no music et.all.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:52   #274
BHPian

Quote:

Soups are good - main course - not so much!

Quote:
Don't know if this qualifies - more like desert place - went to Sweet Nirvana (next to State Gallery of Art - Madhapur) last night - severe case of sweet tooth!

The ambience was lovely - there was real grass under my feet! Quite a rarity in the age of the concrete jungles. Options to sit both inside & outside on a sprawling lawn & pretty creative nooks & sitting options.

Had an apple pie with cinnamon icecream & one of their in-house sundaes - both were heavenly. However, the price tag is anything but heavenly :-) deserts range from just over a hundred rupees to just over 300. They also have salads & main course by the way - none of which we tried.
Old 19th December 2008, 20:47   #275
BHPian

i want to know more abt this Kairali in gachibowli. can anyone provide me directions/location/address?

another thing: is there a vegetarian andhra restaurant in hyderabad? my mom loves andhra food but wont go to any restaurant that serves non-veg food. all the famous andhra restaurants in hydbad i have seen or heard of serve non-veg.
Old 20th December 2008, 12:16   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i want to know more abt this Kairali in gachibowli. can anyone provide me directions/location/address?

another thing: is there a vegetarian andhra restaurant in hyderabad? my mom loves andhra food but wont go to any restaurant that serves non-veg food. all the famous andhra restaurants in hydbad i have seen or heard of serve non-veg.

are there any specific veg andhra specialities? i thought its just kodi polusu or kodi iguru(chicken) which rocks! (spicy venue @ rd no 10 -jubilee hills)

this place chutneys ,its veg isnt it ! but thats dosa and the veg thali!

Last edited by Rajesh Rawal : 20th December 2008 at 12:17. Reason: adds!
Old 20th December 2008, 13:03   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, you have Utsav that serves veg buffets. It's located near Lamba theatre, but their fare is a bit on the expensive side.
There is one more restaurant at Ameerpet on Dharam Karan Road. It is the first buiding on the right of D K Road as soon as you turn into that road from the Green Park road. It starts with 'A'. Is it Amravati...? I've visited that place twice, but the last time was 3 years ago. The food was awesome--the type you get in coastal Andhra
Old 20th December 2008, 14:39   #278
BHPian

Public..

Theodore and me had this lunch buffet @ haveli -kondapur...

please dont go there ,the food is tasteless ,we paid inr 235 for the buffet (one person) and no where got the feeling of our money's worth...

our canteen food tastes better
Old 20th December 2008, 15:07   #279
BHPian

Quote:
are there any specific veg andhra specialities? i thought its just kodi polusu or kodi iguru(chicken) which rocks! (spicy venue @ rd no 10 -jubilee hills)

this place chutneys ,its veg isnt it ! but thats dosa and the veg thali!
andhra food is not all non-veg, bhai saab! there are great veggie options too, which are also available in the usual non-veg restaurants (if you look beyond chaapa or kodi ).

next time you visit an andhra restaurant ask for Ulava Chaaru, gutti vankai and a paapu apart from the non-veg curries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Well, you have Utsav that serves veg buffets. It's located near Lamba theatre, but their fare is a bit on the expensive side.
but its not "andhra" food. Utsav (and Chutneys), like most other restaurants, offers a generic "south indian" buffet that is neither here nor there. there is nothing called a "south indian meal". every state in south india has a distinct cuisine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
There is one more restaurant at Ameerpet on Dharam Karan Road. It is the first buiding on the right of D K Road as soon as you turn into that road from the Green Park road. It starts with 'A'. Is it Amravati...? I've visited that place twice, but the last time was 3 years ago. The food was awesome--the type you get in coastal Andhra
are you talking about Annalakshmi? its no longer there. Another restaurant stands in its place and i heard its not vegetarian.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 20th December 2008 at 15:10.
Old 20th December 2008, 15:15   #280
BHPian

Quote:
next time you visit an andhra restaurant ask for Ulava Chaaru, gutti vankai and a paapu apart from the non-veg curries!
ctrlatldel garu :- i hope the taste is as interesting as the names above! imagine me saying ,hey folks i ate paapu with roti today

want to try atleast one in our meet tommorrow i.e:- if they have the above ones! else there's nothing like chappa vepadu,i jst love it ,goes perfect with daru!
Old 20th December 2008, 15:21   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I have been to the same restuarant on the corner of DK road and found the food really good. But, i dont recall its name and it is not only andhra and most definetly not a wholly veggie restuarant
Old 20th December 2008, 22:23   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have been to the same restuarant on the corner of DK road and found the food really good. But, i dont recall its name and it is not only andhra and most definetly not a wholly veggie restuarant
it used to be 100% veggie in its earlier avtar as "Annalakshmi", a south indian veggie thali place. since last couple of yrs, it changed management, name n cuisine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh_Rawal
ctrlatldel garu :- i hope the taste is as interesting as the names above! imagine me saying ,hey folks i ate paapu with roti today
arre yaar! dont you eat daal-roti?

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 20th December 2008 at 22:24.
Old 21st December 2008, 09:30   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
arre yaar! dont you eat daal-roti?
Being a full bred punjabi does not allow you to consume such un-meaningful things. Definition of food takes a whole new meaning to them

I know as part of my family is punjabi
Old 21st December 2008, 10:24   #284
BHPian

oh! i thought RR was gujju coz of his last name
Old 21st December 2008, 12:38   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

... are you talking about Annalakshmi? its no longer there. Another restaurant stands in its place and i heard its not vegetarian.
No, it was a hotel named 'Athithi Inn'. I don't know if it is still there. It used to serve pure Andhra Veg Thali food, in good ambience.

Annalakshmi was good too.

Most Viewed