Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 15:19   #2896
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Spar Supermarket, Somajiguda has Rotisserie Chicken.
It costs around 157 Rs a Kilo.

A full bird would typically clock in at about 1.3 to 1.4 kgs.

Its chicken with the skin on.
Taste is quite nice and the price very reasonable.

In fact the last time I got the full bird, my dad skipped rice etc and polished off half the bird as his lunch.

You can also buy a chicken tikka kind of piece. In fact I had the same for my lunch today. Nice.
+1 to this:Spar indeed has the highest quality of meat and chicken in the city today(prices are slightly above market rates but I guess for the quality it is worth the money,chicken is priced at INR 140/kg),and what makes it attractive is the way they are presented-clean and professional.

The place is a sea-food lover's paradise,with every possible fish available.The people who clean and cut the fishes are so familiar with the different cuts that the 1st thing they ask you is whether you want a Bengali cut or a Kerala cut!!!That just speaks volumes about their fish clientele being a majority of these two communities!

They even had some fantastic salamis/fresh sausages counter,but sadly that has shut down.Not sure if it has reopened.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:50   #2897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
They even had some fantastic salamis/fresh sausages counter,but sadly that has shut down.Not sure if it has reopened.
Spar being right across the road from my place, my grocery shopping happens there. The Salami and sausage counter is still there, its just been shifted in to the meat section.

The only section that has closed down was the place where TBHPians from nearby areas used to bump into each other
Old 18th February 2011, 17:39   #2898
BHPian

Australian Kebabs in Madhapur

I had read a review of the same by Rr and now by Bblost.

Getting into the mood for some Turkish.

Where exactly is this place?

Please note that I am not knowing much about Madhapur/Kondapur/Kothapet area, so will need landmarks and directions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th February 2011, 18:00   #2899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Wow, that was the most orgasmic description of Bhatinde De Kukkad I ever read. You should go on those foodie shows on TV. You might give the current presenters a run for their money!
Thanks Neil. I reckon HOMP should replace Mayur and take me on. Me and Rocky can rock the show

Last evening had a wonderful snack session at Clove Restuarant,Himayathnagar

Apollo Fish ( Not again..huh) : It was perfectly marinated and spicy like hell and we were oh ahi'ng but, nevertheless digging in.

Some pre-fix Fish Tikka : This was like the Reshmi Kebab version. White, perfectly tandoor grilled and medium spiced but, excellent quality

Nargisi Chicken Tikka : This was so good that we were sighing to each other when the plate was wiped clean

We should have a meet here. The ambience is excellent and food quality is really good. However, the pricing is slightly on higher side. For e.g : Fish dishes are priced at 245/255 Rs. But, they have an offer on other items.

It was an excellent time spent there and after that meal, we burrped back home
Old 18th February 2011, 18:11   #2900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanx Spadix,is Lahari that good or passable?Any other reccomended places for a weekend stay?Lahari seems to be going all out,they even have a fb profile (Lahari Resorts | Facebook)
I don't think Lahari has enough to keep you interested for an entire weekend, but it's good for a day outing with the family. It's got bowling and a kid's gaming arcade (totally air-conditioned) that's good if the sun's beating down. Otherwise you have the usual outdoorsy stuff (cricket ground, swimming pool, tennis courts etc.).

Just don't try the paintball though. I don't think they ever wash those suits!

The food's better than the fare at Leonia.

Leonia's got Euro Bungy and the "wave surfing" attractions which are cool, but those are the only good things about it. It's simply too crowded anyway. Lahari is better in that regard.

It's been a few years (~7) since I last went to Alankritha, so I don't know much about how that place is doing now.

By the way, I've heard that the water attractions at Mount Opera have closed down for maintenance.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 18th February 2011 at 18:14.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:22   #2901
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Australian Kebabs in Madhapur

I had read a review of the same by Rr and now by Bblost.

Getting into the mood for some Turkish.

Where exactly is this place?

Please note that I am not knowing much about Madhapur/Kondapur/Kothapet area, so will need landmarks and directions.

Thanks in advance.
On the left hand side roughly half way when coming from Cyber Towers towards the Police Station.

Last edited by bblost : 18th February 2011 at 22:09.
Old 18th February 2011, 21:45   #2902
Distinguished - BHPian

Been to Ohri's " Nautanki Galli" at Cyber Pearl, Madhapur today for a team lunch.

We were about 35 folks and the lunch buffet was priced at Rs.249++

Firstly, the ambience is a mish-mash of some weird stuff something on similar lines of 70mm but, more crass. A complete kitchen set of steel plates, spoons hanging over your head. Bicyle rims used as partitions and a few gross stores created to add to overall ambience with deliberate wrong spelling et. all

Secondly, crowd was so much, it was suffocating. People are flocking in hordes as if Ravi Ohri was giving free food. For a second, it almost looked like a Langar

It was really horrible to stand in long queues for food after paying so much. Primarily due to this reason i tried only selected items.

Over the years, Ohri's beileves in quantity of dishes over quality. Slowly but, steadily their food quality has gone down the dumps.

There were some 10-15 snacks, 10-15 odd main course items and some 10 dessert items. Not to mention the huge line of salads et. all

When such a spread is there with so much crowd, it gets claustrophobic and you dont know what your eating. You just tend to stuff food in your mouth.

Quality of the food was good to average. Not a single dish that i tried made my taste buds do a somersault.

As it was company paid, it was fine but, i would not pay from my pocket and go for such a buffet with so much madness around. Moreover, iam not a fan of buffet. Ala-Carte is my way of enjoying food.

If anyone wants to see humungous food around. Then Nautanki Galli is the place to go. I would rather stick to a smaller, quiet place to enjoy a good meal.
Old 19th February 2011, 20:01   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If anyone wants to see humungous food around. Then Nautanki Galli is the place to go. I would rather stick to a smaller, quiet place to enjoy a good meal.
Very apt review. The crowd is the biggest put-off of the place. For 249 in a hugely price-inflated world I could live with average food.

The crowds were *much* higher in the introductory week or so when the buffet was priced at around 200. People complained that the food in the casseroles was not replenished fast enough!

In general I want to avoid Ohri's. I tried out the chaat once a very long time back (i.e. when the outlet opened) at their Road No.12 joint and didn't like it. I didn't like HavMor + Metro at Liberty/Basheerbagh as well.

Tansen was good, though.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th February 2011, 20:14   #2904
Team-BHP Support

I noticed a opening shortly signboard for Spar in Ashoka Mall. The mall with the least footfalls at the Rd 12 junction with Rd 1, Banjara Hills.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:34   #2905
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening had dinner at " Bawarchi" at R.T.C Crossroads

Tandoori Chicken-1/2

Large pieces, well marinated and quite good

Chicken Biryani

I am slowly but steadily losing the taste for these supposedly quintessential hydeez biryani. Biryani in joints like Bawarchi, Astoria, Bahar, Paradise etc. have almost a similar taste.

Yesterday, it was good without being extraordinary and major put-off in such places is they plonk a "HUGE" piece of chicken in the biryani which i mentioned in my previous posts as well

My favorite biryani still remains from Sholay & Papaji Ka Dhaba

Damages : Rs.250 ( including tips)
Old 21st February 2011, 13:28   #2906
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening was spent with Ghazal Maestro ( Jagjit Singh) at Chowmohallah Palace who was performing his 4th concert out of 70 concerts ( He turned 70 on Feb 8th, 2011) in 2011.

Must confess, he looks and sings still the same. Fabulous evening. Wish him a few more decades of good health and may he continue to delight us with his melodious voice.

Post all the madness of getting in and out of that concert. Around 11pm, we decided to head to Green Park for Midnight Buffet

Priced at a reasonable Rs.331 AI

Haleem is the main draw of this buffet. I think people come mainly for haleem. It was simply outstanding. You can keep on re-filling this delicacy

Paya Shorba. I generally dont eat this but, tried yesterday. Superb

Mutton Biryani. As we reached exactly at the starting time, this dish was brought out in front of us. Bloody hot, meat so well cooked it was just falling of the bone, masala just seeped into the rice which was long grained and flavoursome. Splendid is a mild word.

Chicken Biryani. Looked good but, didnt try

Live Counter was serving Kheema Dosa, Parathas etc. Dosa was soggy and not good at all but, parathas were excellent.

Gulab Jamun and Ice-cream was delicious

There were a few veggies dishes. I didnt bother to even glance at them

All in all, Green Park has improved their quality a lot and there were hordes of people at that time.

I would just go back for their Haleem, Kheema and sumptous biryani.

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st February 2011 at 13:30.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:43   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Was at Rajdhani over the weekend,and must admit,they serve the most authentic Gujarati/Rajasthani thalis in town(if not India,have been to most of their outlets in GJ/MH/KA)

Amazing fare and the ever-friendly service just takes the place notches higher.Priced at INR 225(AI) its a steal and just sitting there and watching their art of service itself is value for money!Bikanervala (imo) is just crass and is another Ohris in the making in terms of crowd/taste/fare!
Old 21st February 2011, 14:10   #2908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Haleem is the main draw of this buffet. I think people come mainly for haleem. It was simply outstanding. You can keep on re-filling this delicacy
Haleem and Tawa Kheema are the two main dishes which has kept this midnight buffet afloat even in turbulent times.

Good to know that the quality of food has improved at Green park.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:29   #2909
Senior - BHPian

After the Jagjit Singh concert, we went to Shadab to do a take away. Thank god for that decision as there was a wait of atleast an hour with about 50 people waiting to get their tables. We ordered the following:
Mutton Rana
Dum Murgh
Sheermal
Tandoori Roti

The Mutton Rana at Rs.180/plate had a little less quantity but had red colour gravy with a slightly hot taste.
Dum Murgh had 4 large pieces and the gravy was good.

Overall damages Rs.500/- with tips.

Verdict: Good as always
Old 21st February 2011, 14:36   #2910
BHPian

OT: Drove to Nalgonda on Saturday with FleetMaster (Abhijeet) for some Project related Site Visits at Nalgonda. Had lunch at Chetney's, Ramagiri, Nalgonda. We both devoured Mutton Biryani there, the taste was amazing. Loved the spicier variant of the Biryani with loads of spices threw in to give that zangy taste. The pieces were melt in the mouth types. Would surely visit Chetney's on my next visit to Nalgonda.

Most Viewed