Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:34   #3031
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

I had been to Delhi Smackers for dinner last evening (SILVERWOOD+3) and ordered

Chat Platter-Was devoured by others,all praises for the delectable chat.
Roti Sabzi-5 chapatis served with Punjabi Dum Aaloo.-Yours truly enjoyed it a lot.
Meal Combo-Was devoured by the rest.

The food seems to VFM, however they need to improve on their service.

Total Damages-Rs 360.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:55   #3032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Which Ohri's outlet is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Looks like Avi is refering to Havmor. The must visit ice cream shop for old time Hydies.
That's right. Havmore (Basheerbagh outlet) is still my all time favorite for ice-creams in town despite trying almost every other brand.

I had forgotten to mention after finishing our meal at Delhi Smackers we had ice-cream from Naturals at S.D Road then my favorite Midnight Beauty and Monica Lewinsky from Havmore on Sunday afternoon.

Naturals can't light a candle to Havmore
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:25   #3033
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Naturals can't light a candle to Havmore
I don't think its a fair comparison. As Havmor makes great Sundae's, while Naturals is well ice creams with natural flavour.

I am a big fan of the Tender Coconut at Natural. Its perfect for the hot afternoon.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:24   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right. Havmore (Basheerbagh outlet) is still my all time favorite for ice-creams in town despite trying almost every other brand.
Hmm - I never liked Havmor ice cream. They're creamy and fresh, but absolutely tasteless at best. And stuff like 'Awful awful' and 'Volcano' actually taste horrible. I still can't forgive the waiter for asking me to try 'Volcano' when I ordered another sundae. He said it was a promotional offer and was looking for feedback. I said why not. The sundae I originally had in mind was around 170 bucks. Volcano was close to 300 (i.e. 2x the price). When he came looking for feedback I showed him the half-finished lump and told him that's the feedback I had to give. I hope they've done away with it now.

I liked (relative term) only two of their offerings - Titanic and something else I can't remember (probably Midnight Beauty).

I think Melting Moments, before the fire at least, was just in a different league. Now, sadly, they're an also ran :(. I have half a mind to just give up my job and persuade Corner House to open a franchise here. After Melting Moments 1.0, CH is the only ice cream that I liked.

I agree with bblost. Havmor and Naturals should probably not be compared.

Regards,
spadix
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:49   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I have half a mind to just give up my job and persuade Corner House to open a franchise here. After Melting Moments 1.0, CH is the only ice cream that I liked.
I have been a CH fan since late 90's during my college day trips to Bangalore. As a matter of fact I have earmarked being a restaurateur as my next profession. Lets talk sometime
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:03   #3036
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering Naturals offer natural fruit based options maybe comparing it with sundae's from Havemore was not a good idea.

Let me re-phrase. I like sundaes more than natural fruit based ice-creams.

If i want natural fruit-based. I'd rather eat the fruit itself
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:04   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree on the Corner House part.I have been a fan of their from my college years,though the DBC has gone through inflation and is now priced at 120(up from the 60 6years back).We make it a point to stopover in Bangalore whenever we drive anywhere south just to have the Hot Choco fudge and the DBC after a thoroughly enjoyable meal at Casa Picola.(Pizza Jardiniere,Chicken Casserole,UFO Burger!!!).

As for franchisee of CH,it just will not happen.I did ask him a couple of years back and he said he is not interested in expanding and this was when he had just two outlets in blore!!!His conditions were very weird and funny as well for him to grant a franchisee in Hyd!Atleast I found them funny at that time.Now they have opened a food court serving chaat and dosas alongwith the icecreams at Marthahalli and people are actually standing in Queues for it.

Ok enough of all this,I write all this when I have a DBC(Death By Chocolate on my right hand side and a Hot Choco Fudge on my left side!!In bangalore currently

For the uninitiated heres a link to the two must not miss places when in Bnagalore.

www.cornerhouse.in

Casa Cottage in Bangalore, Budget Hotels, Bangalore Hotel Booking, Service Apartments, European Ambience, Restaurants & Hotels
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:11   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have been a CH fan since late 90's during my college day trips to Bangalore. As a matter of fact I have earmarked being a restaurateur as my next profession. Lets talk sometime

As Ranjit also mentioned in his post, I've heard from someone else that the CH owner is hardly interested in moving out of his Blr-Mysore comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Absolutely agree on the Corner House part.I have been a fan of their from my college years,though the DBC has gone through inflation and is now priced at 120(up from the 60 6years back).We make it a point to stopover in Bangalore whenever we drive anywhere south just to have the Hot Choco fudge and the DBC
Oh it used to be 60? I don't remember how much I paid for it the first time I had it. Probably 75 (sometime in 2005/6 when they opened their Koramangala branch -- I used to live a stone's throw away from that outlet). But for the most part I remember paying 110 (2007/8/9). So when we drove to Blr in Oct '10 for the express purpose of having one DBC per meal per head over 2 days, I was very pleasantly surprised to see it priced at only 120/125!

Now that the summer is upon us, one more DBC run is on the charts.

In fact I should make it a point to take a DBCtour via Blr to go to TTD in future. Better/faster roads through and through and a nice way to break the journey.

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:33   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Ordered 2 Kathi rolls from Baba's Chulha last evening.

Chicken Tikka Roll and Tiranga Roll.(double egg)

Both the rolls were yummy.He took 40 mins to deliver.

Total Damages-Rs 180.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:19   #3040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Ordered 2 Kathi rolls from Baba's Chulha last evening. He took 40 mins to deliver.
He delivers from Somajiguda to Bowenpally? If yes, then maybe to Himayathnagar too
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:58   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He delivers from Somajiguda to Bowenpally? If yes, then maybe to Himayathnagar too
OT.

I have moved my house from Bowenpally to Raj Bhavan road, near fortune katriya.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:44   #3042
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday evening was a special evening. Ind Vs. Aussie match. So a couple of friends and me decided to head to Hotel Clove in Himayathnagar to check out the match on big screen.

There was a special offer for this semis.

The more I devour their food, better I like it's taste.

Snacks ordered were :-

Chilly Chicken-2 No's
Veg Crispy Fry--1 No

Above were part of the deal. What was not was :-

Apollo Fish
Chicken Garlic Kebab
Chicken Tikka

Taste was simply outstanding for all items except the Chilly chicken were the coating was slightly on higher side.

Post the match, we headed to Mega City, Basheerbagh for their world famous Sambhar Rice.

Not sure of world famous but, it surely is the best sambhar rice in town and followed by Choc Cake and Cassata.

Wheww....that was an eventful evening with a lot of boisterous crowd to keep us company. Something on similar planned for Ind vs. Pak match next wednesday where the venue will be either Extreme Sports Restuarant OR Secunderabad Club.

P.S: Spotted a Black Jag XF in basement of Hotel Clove. Apparently the owner's.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:33   #3043
Senior - BHPian

I went to KFC for lunch and noticed on the bill that the VAT has been increased to 14.5% from 14%. I wonder how much more will the Govt. squeeze us.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:38   #3044
BHPian

One of the best pav-bajji in Hyd is Maharaja Chat.... Behind Madhapur police station. Tastes awesome. My regular eatout. And it amazes how much junta come over there and eat.

And if you want to have some quiet dinner with someone... than u can try "Our Place" in Banjara Hills. Lots of space and decent ambiance and good food.
Old 28th March 2011, 17:00   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I went to KFC for lunch and noticed on the bill that the VAT has been increased to 14.5% from 14%. I wonder how much more will the Govt. squeeze us.
Ani,

You seem to have not paid attention to bills for quite some time.

VAT in Andhra Pradesh on readymade food served is chargeable at 3 levels : (1) 14.5 % ; (2) 4 % ; (3) 0 % ;

The levels depend on the class of the establishment and the yearly turn-over reported/anticipated.

KFC/Dominos/Ohris/3/4/5-Stars are all in the 14.5 % bracket.

Harry's Diner is in the 4 % bracket.

Baba's Chulha is in the 0 % bracket.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks