Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 12:04   #3121
Team-BHP Support

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

I feel Harry's Diner does have its heart in the right place. The head is missing. The chef needs to be there. You cannot run a restaurant this way. It will fall apart. This guy is a good cook. He has everything correctly put in place. But unless he is there and runs the show, it will crash. A classic case of what could have been. Sad.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:28   #3122
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening, met couple of ex-colleagues ( American & Italian guys) along with some of the TBHPians at Xtreme Sports Bar, Banjara Hills.

We ordered 2 NV platters ( one spicy for Us & American and non-spicy for the Italian)

It consisted of Reshmi Chicken, Chicken Tikka, Tawa Mutton, Fish Tandoori etc.

Both platters were wonderful and each and every dish was absolutely delectable and both our guests were digging in to these delicacies with gusto. Most of us liked the Tawa Mutton in that platter and thus, followed several more plates of same.

It was a pleasant suprise to find good food in a pub apart from the several goodies that we all won thanks to a promotion.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 04:37   #3123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Last evening, met couple of ex-colleagues ( American & Italian guys) along with some of the TBHPians at Xtreme Sports Bar, Banjara Hills.

We ordered 2 NV platters ( one spicy for Us & American and non-spicy for the Italian)

It consisted of Reshmi Chicken, Chicken Tikka, Tawa Mutton, Fish Tandoori etc.

Both platters were wonderful and each and every dish was absolutely delectable and both our guests were digging in to these delicacies with gusto. Most of us liked the Tawa Mutton in that platter and thus, followed several more plates of same.

It was a pleasant suprise to find good food in a pub apart from the several goodies that we all won thanks to a promotion.
Xtreme Sports is a pretty nice place for food and ofcourse . Both Xtreme Sports and Club 8 are a usual hangout place for me and my friends for watching Live Cricket/Football/Tennis or F1 Races. Even I loved the Spicy NV Platter ! I was thinking of a writeup about this place since long and there you have it, anyways thanks for the post !

By the way, Heard Food on Fire - Mehdipatnam has re-opened once again, anyone hit the place of lately ?

Last edited by ShortShifter : 29th April 2011 at 04:57.
Old 29th April 2011, 08:27   #3124
Senior - BHPian

guys, any reviews on hall of fame? esp when compared to xtreme sports bar? also are there any other sport bars in hyd expect these two?

Quote:
I feel Harry's Diner does have its heart in the right place. The head is missing. The chef needs to be there. You cannot run a restaurant this way. It will fall apart. This guy is a good cook. He has everything correctly put in place. But unless he is there and runs the show, it will crash. A classic case of what could have been. Sad.
totally true, i had awesome food and awesome service when ever he was there. also a fun guy to chat up with. am pretty sure it will bounce back soon.

Last edited by aadix : 29th April 2011 at 08:29.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:25   #3125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
totally true, i had awesome food and awesome service when ever he was there. also a fun guy to chat up with. am pretty sure it will bounce back soon.
+1.

I normally eat my dinner by 8pm but when I go to Harry's Diner, I make it a point to go around 8:30/8:45pm because Harish comes in only then. I have not yet eaten there when Harish was absent.

The thin lanky guy taking orders and serving is actually a kitchen staff who is doubling up as a waiter.

I do not see the place improving because, though Harish may be a good cook, he is not a good business man / administrator and thus is lacking management acumen.

Someone had pointed out here recently very accurately that the place needs to look more hygenic and clean.

To sum up, I will still continue to patronise Harrys' Diner as I am enjoying the food there and will still continue till I continue to enjoy the food there.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:48   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
By the way, Heard Food on Fire - Mehdipatnam has re-opened once again, anyone hit the place of lately ?
Kailash, Food-On-Fire was never closed, it just got renovated recently, but not to the level, which would entice people to visit and have food. I know the owner on a personal level and the main reason of renovation was to give his patrons a good experience. Most of his customers are people travelling to Bangalore and who board the bus at Rethibowli. There isin't much great to write about Food-On-Fire, which was an Irani Cafe turned into Fast Food Joint. The owner of that place always used to crib when they had this Irani Cafe that he wants to get into Food Business but the present day scenario did not allow him to. The moment he got a chance, he turned that into a full fledged Fast Food Joint.
Old 30th April 2011, 10:01   #3127
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of the Team BHP'ains met on Thursday evening at Sailing Club Annexe to host a small get together for soon to be converted "bachelor to married" status tbhpian ( Rajesh Rawal)

As usual, the ambience there continued to floor us. We were 10+ folks and we all sat right by the lakeside and enjoyed the newly installed fountains in tank bund with some mesmerizing lights.

Snacks consisted of :-

Fish Fry with Tartar Sauce ( Outstanding is a mild word)
Loose Prawns ( Average)
Veg Cutlets ( Excellent)
Toast laden with baked beans ( Superb)

Dinner consisted of :-

Chicken Curry and rotis
Paneer curry and rotis
Dal
Mutton Biryani

Dessert consisted of :-

Kulfi
Black Forest Cake

I didnt have dinner and desserts so cannot comment on it. By the look of the food, it looked quite enticing.

Overall, a fantastic evening,thanks to the member (Ravvs)

Last evening, picked up Tandoori Chicken from Pakwaan for dinner. First time, thought it was close to horrible. This place has become so popular and the amount of orders he churns out is phenomenal. Perhaps, this is the reason for this inconsistency ( maybe downfall in future)
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:53   #3128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dahi Ke Kebas are simply superb but, this time the curd inside was a bit sour so didnt enjoy it thoroughly

They reduced the discount to MSFT employees to 10% and VAT charged is 14.5%.

This restuarant is no longer VFM. Wont be visiting this place again in a long time.
+1 to all of that.

We visited FnI on 16th and just had a couple of starters as we were feeling full. The curd was a bit sour. That's how I like it but I'm in the minority. It was wife's first visit to FnI so she liked it a lot. I guess the rising temperatures these days mean that they should not leave those kababs out in the open for as long as they used to earlier. That should fix it.

I was really surprised to find they slashed the discount by 10%.

The veg main course items weren't VFM to begin with. They are tasty but are expensive. If we go there again it'll only be for the starters. It was OK with 20% off but at 10% it doesn't make sense to have anything other than the starters, I feel.

An interesting point to note is that on my very first visit to FnI, when we ordered some juices and soft drinks, the waiter advised us against it saying they anyway procure the order from Ratnadeep downstairs and mark it up!

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 2nd May 2011 at 17:55.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:07   #3129
BHPian

Reshmi
Had been to the MI v/s DC match so decided to eat on the Secunderabad side. My second visit to Reshmi's was similar to the first one.
Decent food but not so good service sums up my experience - eg a wait of 15+ minutes for second round of rotis to arrive and a wait of 15 minutes after finger bowls for the bill talks a lot about the slowness of the service.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:37   #3130
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Nanking @ Road no.2 (ahead of mountain bakery) for lunch today and ordered the following.(SILVERWOOD+2)

Chicken Soft Noodles-Nothing to write about
Chicken Fried Noodles-Taste was ok
Apollo Fish-This was the star dish, very very tasty and enough quantity to give you a heart attack.

Total Damages-Rs 410.

Will go their again for Apollo fish-
Old 9th May 2011, 19:20   #3131
Team-BHP Support

A big thumbs down to Hotel Ebony buffet lunch.
Rs 300 or so per person.

Its nothing more than a coffee shop with a buffet spread.

Starters are not on the buffet table. Served just once.
Bad soup.
Food not filled at the buffet table. Needed multiple reminders.

Desert was very basic.

Not worth it. Even the tables did not have the spoons etc. They had to be asked for.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:25   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Some of the Team BHP'ains met on Thursday evening at Sailing Club Annexe .......

........Fish Fry with Tartar Sauce ( Outstanding is a mild word)
i will vouch for this.

taste is always consistent and is amazing stuff!
Old 11th May 2011, 14:24   #3133
Senior - BHPian

I had Chicken Biriyani (2 No.'s) for today's lunch at KIMS Hospital canteen. (SILVERWOOD+1)

Zimbly, awesome.

Total Damages-Rs 160
Old 11th May 2011, 14:33   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had Chicken Biriyani (2 No.'s) for today's lunch at KIMS Hospital canteen. (SILVERWOOD+1)
Zimbly, awesome.
Total Damages-Rs 160
When are we going to KIMS for Lunch? What time do they start serving this Biryani bhai? Looks like you would turn the KIMS Hospital Canteen into a full fledged Biryani point by praising it so much. I am tempted to drive down and try it.
Old 11th May 2011, 15:04   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
When are we going to KIMS for Lunch?
Any time Nikhil Bhai.

They serve biriyani from 1pm.

Most Viewed