Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 15:27   #3136
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Any time Nikhil Bhai.

They serve biriyani from 1pm.

Where is the Canteen in KIMS? Is it the same small place right next to the entrance to the KIMS building(inside the main gate)? The last time I went there they did not have anything except for some juices and biscuits.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:00   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Dinner was at Chinese Wok,and the place is on its way down as well I guess.Whats happening to all these places?

1.Service is still fast and efficient

2.Prices have been increased.It is INR 349 PLUS taxes plus service charge.

3.You need to choose between fish or prawns

4.The taste has gone down drastically.

I am not going back there in a hurry:(
Old 11th May 2011, 16:57   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Where is the Canteen in KIMS? Is it the same small place right next to the entrance to the KIMS building(inside the main gate)? The last time I went there they did not have anything except for some juices and biscuits.
The canteen is located on the ground floor, very near to the stair case in the main building.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:01   #3139
Senior - BHPian

All you foodies out there, can someone suggest where can I get Fruit chaat or salad. Urgently required for late evening snack or dinner.

TIA.

Cheers
Old 11th May 2011, 18:10   #3140
Team-BHP Support

Spar used to have fruit salad.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:49   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Spar used to have fruit salad.
Nil, Nada, Non!

Went there in in the afternoon but seem to have done away with that counter, so had to make do with one apple and some juice for lunch. Any other place where I can get fruit plate?
Old 11th May 2011, 21:02   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
All you foodies out there, can someone suggest where can I get Fruit chaat or salad. Urgently required for late evening snack or dinner.
MS office, building 3 food court.

Just sayin'.

Loved Juice Junction and Laaza (?) in Krooramangala (Blr) for this and this alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Dinner was at Chinese Wok,and the place is on its way down as well I guess.Whats happening to all these places?
The food business is bloody tough to be in.

I don't know how long you've been put up in Sainikpuri but way back when there was this place called Maricar's Kitchen in Trimulgherry, just ahead of the junction coming towards Bowenpally. I've never come across such amazing taste and VFM *ever*. They floundered, got back on to their feet, then floundered again (I guess they had some personnel problems and fire accident as well) and then died for good, last I heard.

Nanking is another example. Used to be brilliant in the '80s and early '90s. Then I don't know what happened to them. They seem to have gotten back on track now, and hope that continues for good.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2011 at 18:01.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:44   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Loved Juice Junction and Laaza (?) in Krooramangala (Blr) for this and this alone.

Regards,
spadix
Go to any Ganesh Juice Center in Bangalore and its pure heaven.I just went to one of them in Blore just to rekindly my college days and the mango juices and shakes are still heavenly.They are priced at INR18 for one big mug!

Quote:

TIA.

Cheers
You get excellent fruit salads at the fruit shop just before Harry's Diner,the lone fruit shop in that lane.Amazing fruit salads priced at INR30.He has an excellent collection of mangoes as well during the season,we have been buying mangoes from him for the past 3-4 years and havent been disappointed.

Quote:
The food business is bloody tough to be in.

I don't know how long you've been put up in Sainikpuri but way back when there was this place called Maricar's Kitchen in Trimulgherry, just ahead of the junction coming towards Bowenpally. I've never come across such amazing taste and VFM *ever*. They floundered, got back on to their feet, then floundered again (I guess they had some personnel problems and fire accident as well) and then died for good, last I heard.

Nanking is another example. Used to be brilliant in the '80s and early '90s. Then I don't know what happened to them. They seem to have gotten back on track now, and hope that continues for good.

Regards,
spadix
How I wish Nanking died peacefully in the 90s.It is so damn sick now a days,the dishes all smell of something and the place is so unhygienic,but look at the people waiting outside,its maddening,but the place is the pits.Staff are so arrogant as well.Secunderabad so desperately needs a good Chinese place,the one on Ministers road is just about-Chung Hua.I would still vote Chinese Pavilion as the best place for Chinese in Hyderabad today.

On a different note,looks like Harry's Diner has bitten the dust.For the past two days I have been going past it and its been closed and I can see a board hanging in front of it,its too small to be read from a moving vehicle but I think it is a TO-LET board.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:15   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
On a different note,looks like Harry's Diner has bitten the dust.For the past two days I have been going past it and its been closed and I can see a board hanging in front of it,its too small to be read from a moving vehicle but I think it is a TO-LET board.
Damn and blast!

I did like the place and so fervently hoped that the place survived. Lets hope its opening up at some other place.

Cheers
Old 12th May 2011, 08:22   #3145
BHPian

Bit late, but there's a healthy little fruit chat and smoothies shop that opened up in the White house building compound - bang in the middle of the compound past the frankie shops and all.

Damn!, should have remembered this for W1 D1. Some quirky stuff they got too.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:41   #3146
BHPian

Got this email from the owner of Harry's Diner today morning :

"Dear Mr. Bajaj,
I hope this mail finds you in the best of your health and in high sprits. I am sorry to inform you that I have closed my business in Hyderabad due to few issues. But I am relocating to Bangalore in 2 to 3 months time with the same name and with dinner concept.
I had a wonderful time serving you and gives me more pleasure to serve people who know the cusine and quality of the food. when i was telling my customers that i am taing my business to Bangalore I could see them being more dissapointed, which gave me hope that i have done something right.
for a cheff, it helps him to get customres who understands his cusine and give a feedback be it good or bad. It is sad that Hyderabad has a long way to go in terms of developing a taste for continental food. no wonder places like Indi Joes are serving Biryani in Hyderabad.
i thought of just doing home deliveries, but italiam and conti cusine is such it has to had hot and in proper cuttlery (i might think in old fashon way) as they add up to the flavour as well. so i gave up that thought.
I found an investor in Bangalore and i feel its a better place for me to showcase my skill with some real tough competition and customers. there is more to my cusine that pizzas and pastas and with proper staff i beleive i will be more happy there than in hyderabad.
its been a pleasure to know you and to serve you and your family and i request you that after 3 months once ur coming to b'lore do drop in my restro. i will send you the details once the restro starts up. please tell your friends in hyderabad that Harrys Diner is not a failure project but has been a successful one which had to close down as it was just run by one person.
i am looking forward to get new clients and team bhp members to my restro in blore.
have a great day.
warm regards
Harish"

Wish he had informed me the decision before actually closing down. At least I could have visited the venue for "The Last Supper".
Anyway, now I know one more place I will visit apart from Koshy's.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:55   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Wish he had informed me the decision before actually closing down. At least I could have visited the venue for "The Last Supper".
From what little I know of both Hyderabad (born and brought up here and spent 20 years of my life in total) and Bengaluru (worked there for 5 years), I think he makes a very good point. Each city has its strengths and weaknesses and cosmopolitanism isn't one of Hyderabad's great strengths.

I've never been to this place but will definitely check it out on my next visit to Bengaluru.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th May 2011, 14:18   #3148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got this email from the owner of Harry's Diner today morning :

"Dear Mr. Bajaj,
warm regards
Harish"

I'm terribly saddened by this news and am sure wifey also will be. I guess Hyderabad's loss is Bengaluru's gain!
Quote:
From what little I know of both Hyderabad (born and brought up here and spent 20 years of my life in total) and Bengaluru (worked there for 5 years), I think he makes a very good point. Each city has its strengths and weaknesses and cosmopolitanism isn't one of Hyderabad's great strengths.
+1 to that.

Hyderabad still has to develop a taste for non-Indian cuisine. Indian style chineses and thai doesn't count
Old 12th May 2011, 14:29   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is sad that Hyderabad has a long way to go in terms of developing a taste for continental food. no wonder places like Indi Joes are serving Biryani in Hyderabad.
Quote:
Each city has its strengths and weaknesses and cosmopolitanism isn't one of Hyderabad's great strengths.
Quote:
Hyderabad still has to develop a taste for non-Indian cuisine.
Hyderabad is and will remain the epicenter of Biriyani.

No wonder why eateries like The French Loaf, Au bon pain etc decided not to come to Hyderabad.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:38   #3150
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to Ranjit's view on Nanking. I would not eat there even if its for FREE. Wish they had closed down instead of Harry's Diner which i found to be alright but, nothing spectacular.

Hope his venture in Bangalore does well.

Yeah, Hyderabad indeed needs to develop a palate for international cuisine. I would love not just the regular Thai, Chinese and Italian stuff. I would like to see reasonable priced restuarants who serve Lebanese, Mongolian, Greek and German ( Want to try a bratwurst )

But, the bottom line is reasonable. Not the types of 750 bucks a plate New Zealand Lamb Chops at N-Grille

Anyways, bad news for you guys. I have reduced my eating out considerably so you will see me pretty inactive on this thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks