Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 13:23   #3811
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Went to Shah Ghouse, Tolichowki for lunch yesterday.

NoRules + Wife + 2 kids

Arabic Chicken @ 140/- No where close to what Dinehill serves. Okie dokie stuff.
Tandoori chicken @ 90/- Average
Special Mutton Biryani @ 160/- Excellent biryani, lot of meat which was spicy and tasty and the rice was perfectly cooked. The difference between regular biryani and special biryani is only the quantity. Nothing else is different.

Total cost (incl water, coke etc) - Rs.470/-
Old 17th October 2011, 15:12   #3812
Senior - BHPian

Was at Mast Kalandar,Hitec City the other night.What a gross disappointment.If only their food was as interesting and tasty as their wall advertisements painted on their walls.Ordered 2 Lassis,One of their HP3 thalis,a mini kebab platter and it costed us INR500.Total waste of money and the place is downright shabby and dirty.Never again.

Did try out the newly launched KFC chicken popcorn-as usual atrociously priced at INR110 for a serving which they call as "Large"(which makes me think what would be the size of their "small").Hopelessly tasteless and useless and what makes it worse is that they sprinkle some kind of a tangy masala powder on top of it which IMHO totally repulsive.
Old 17th October 2011, 17:23   #3813
BHPian

Guys any suggestions for good veggie eateries in and around Sainikpuri/Alwal etc? I am new to this side of town and I used to go to Shyam Niwas quite often but after moving to Sainikpuri I find that too far away. North Indian is preferred but good South Indian is very welcome as well.

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2011, 17:49   #3814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Guys any suggestions for good veggie eateries in and around Sainikpuri/Alwal etc? I am new to this side of town and I used to go to Shyam Niwas quite often but after moving to Sainikpuri I find that too far away. North Indian is preferred but good South Indian is very welcome as well.

Thanks!
I am at Sainikpuri as well,Defence colony to be precise and sadly not many eateries around,the ones that are worthwhile are the following:

1. Woodlands at AS Rao Nagar opposite the Mcdonalds Drive-In.Good south Indian and udupi style north indian

2.Theres a new Kerala-styled restaurant at Neredmet recently open called Ootushala on the main road.Ok food.

3.Leo's food court serves average north indian cuisine at sainikpuri,next to 5th Avenue bakery

4.There is an atrociously priced restaurant opp the BP COCO pump at AS Rao nagar called Shakahari

5.Jeet's kitchen at Karkhana next to Vacs Bakery and opposite Mcdonalds

6.Pepper Pods in the same complex as Baskin Robbins/FabIndia at Karkhana

7.The Chinese restaurant opposite KFC at Karkhana is pretty good and serves good stuff.

8.There is a place for sandwiches called Grab-n-Refresh in between Secunderabad Club & Picket.Decent sandwiches and pastas.

9.You cant afford to miss the kulfis and faloodas dished out by the guy standing below the big digital clock in front of SBH at karkhana.Amazing stuff

10.Dont ever bother stepping into Sandarshini.It is infested by rats and rodents.I have had personal experiences of it running over my legs inside the A/C section eeeeeks

This is a short review of the places in and around sainikpuri.in short,there are hardly any sit-in places except for woodlands!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 17:57   #3815
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit. Appreciate it. I am a regular at Woodlands but just a trifle bored and I miss north indian food
Old 17th October 2011, 19:28   #3816
BHPian

To all the nawabs of hyderabad,

I am in hyderabad for 2 days and am staying near the GVK 1. Any recommendations on special places to eat here? Somewhere nearby preferable. Paradise is on my list of lunch to have for tomorrow. Anything else?
Old 18th October 2011, 12:48   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post

I am in hyderabad for 2 days and am staying near the GVK 1. Any recommendations on special places to eat here? Somewhere nearby preferable. Paradise is on my list of lunch to have for tomorrow. Anything else?
I suppose you could have mentioned the type of food you are looking for, else it is difficult to respond.

You are staying in the heart of town, and there are lots of options within 2 km radius for you, be it biryani, Chinese, vege, north Indian, etc. For instance, you have decent joints in GVK One and City Center Mall, both of which are walkable. Even Chinese Pavilion opposite Vengal Rao Park is nearby. And then there's Chutneys within a kilometer, Angeethi, Blue Fox, Southern Spice, Hyd House,etc etc.

Let us know what you are looking for.

Last edited by vnabhi : 18th October 2011 at 12:51.
Old 18th October 2011, 13:07   #3818
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I suppose you could have mentioned the type of food you are looking for, else it is difficult to respond.

You are staying in the heart of town, and there are lots of options within 2 km radius for you, be it biryani, Chinese, vege, north Indian, etc. For instance, you have decent joints in GVK One and City Center Mall, both of which are walkable. Even Chinese Pavilion opposite Vengal Rao Park is nearby. And then there's Chutneys within a kilometer, Angeethi, Blue Fox, Southern Spice, Hyd House,etc etc.

Let us know what you are looking for.
vnabhi pretty much covered all the outlets near GVK but it depends on what exactly are you looking for. You have good eateries in that area serving all types of cuisine. There is also Barbeque Nation near GVK and Venky's express. Dine hill and Sarvi are not too far away either. There is a Paradise outlet at Masab Tank which is much closer to GVK than the Sec'bad Paradise. Try out Khaan Saab in GVK mall. Good food, decently priced.
Old 18th October 2011, 19:22   #3819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
vnabhi pretty much covered all the outlets near GVK but it depends on what exactly are you looking for.
@Vnabhi: boy, you really covered everything bro.
@NoRules: Yes.. Near the tank it is. On my way there in 5 mins now.

What I had in mind was some of those shops where you get some of those hyderabadi specialties. I don't know what those would be. Am not looking for the regular chinese or anything regular.
Old 19th October 2011, 13:41   #3820
BHPian

Quote:
@Vnabhi: boy, you really covered everything bro.
@NoRules: Yes.. Near the tank it is. On my way there in 5 mins now.

What I had in mind was some of those shops where you get some of those hyderabadi specialties. I don't know what those would be. Am not looking for the regular chinese or anything regular.
Try Southern Mirchi, Nagarjuna Circle - It is close to GVK. Try thaali meals, fish fry, quail fry, mutton / naatu kodi / prawn iguru. Even chicken biryani is pretty good at SM.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:35   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
5.Jeet's kitchen at Karkhana next to Vacs Bakery and opposite Mcdonalds
Nostalgia: These guys have been around for donkey's years! When they first opened shop - sometime in the early '90s, they were the "upper middle class" outlet compared to other options nearby (Maricar's Kitchen near Tri'gry 'X' Roads, Tanjore Hotel/Restaurant near Karkhana and a funky Chinese outlet - whose name I don't remember now - right next to the Karkhana PS). I wonder how they're doing now.

Maricar's used to be awesome. Too bad they got destroyed in a fire and unfortunately didn't have the firepower to carry on after rebuilding. They had the best taste and VFM factor of the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
6.Pepper Pods in the same complex as Baskin Robbins/FabIndia at Karkhana
Maybe we caught PP on a bad day but we didn't feel like a place worth going back to again after one very recent visit. Not bad, but not enthralling either.

I still think the hop, skip and jump from this neighbourhood to Yatri Niwas at Paradise is worth it, especially for the awesome methi chaman that's available at Tamarind Tree (the outdoor restaurant).

Regards,
spadix
Old 20th October 2011, 11:34   #3822
Distinguished - BHPian

Been to "Olives & Cheese" at Kharkhana that I visited sometime last week. Been thinking of going there and comparing it with OTF.

We were 4 Pax and total bill came to a measly Rs.700

Garlic Bread stuffed with cheese and Olives was excellent as the cheese was hot and dripping from the bread

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-garlic-bread.jpg

Owner Abhijeet ( who happens to live in Himayathnagar as well) suggested this mexican styled chicken snack. It tasted like pepper chicken to me. It was good but, nothing unique

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-pepper-chicken.jpg

Veg Spring Roll (Some exotic name, cannot recall it now). Very tasty

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-spring-roll.jpg

Veg Fussili Pasta which according to Abhijeet is not available anywhere else (except Little Italy). It was creamy, cheesy and extremely sinful !!!

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-fussili-pasta.jpg

Veg Pizza (again some exotic name). This was the biggest dissapointment, we asked for a thin crust and got this one. It was like a stuffed paratha. Lot of stuffings but, just not like a Pizza. OTF is anyday better than them on this front.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-veg-pizza.jpg

As a comparison, here is the OTF Poultry Pizza. Super thin crust, crunchy and absolutely delectable

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-poultry-pizza.jpg

We had some chocolate dessert which was very very good. Note, the quantity of desserts are better in O&C. However, blueberry cheese cake of OTF will take the award any day.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:38   #3823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
However, blueberry cheese cake of OTF will take the award any day.
+1 on that Avinash Bhai. Blueberry Cheese Cake of OTF wins by leaps and bounds. Looks like O&C needs to see me soon. Location & details please.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:45   #3824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Looks like O&C needs to see me soon. Location & details please.
Its about 100 meters before Tirumulgherry X roads on your left side and just besides Axis Bank. Its on the 1st floor and has a big board outside, can't miss it

This place is better than OTF in terms of sitting arrangement and ambience wise, space wise its just about equal
Old 20th October 2011, 16:12   #3825
BHPian

Quote:
Been to "Olives & Cheese" at Kharkhana that I visited sometime last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Looks like O&C needs to see me soon. Location & details please.
Quote:
Its about 100 meters before Tirumulgherry X roads on your left side and just besides Axis Bank. Its on the 1st floor and has a big board outside, can't miss it.

Menu : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2394940

Most Viewed