Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 09:08   #3901
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

On my way back from Vijayawada I stopped for lunch at Chaudary gaari mess @ Nandigama to eat their very famous prawn curry and boy, it was the best prawn curry I have eaten.

At 200 bucks a plate I thought it was expensive but it was so good, I got 2 portions packed for wife n kids.

Anyone travelling to or from Vijayawada and likes Prawns please do try it out. The place is a small joint, they serve thaali meals and prawn curry.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 11:36   #3902
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening after a good workout, decided to replinish the calories at Papaji Ka Dhaba as wifey wanted something good to eat

We ordered :-

Tandoori Mutton (Rs.200)

They have started making snacks of the day from some months now and this is a unique dish as i dont see this available anywhere. Super yummy

Chicken Tikka Masala (Rs.160)---Increased by 20 bucks

Wifey's alltime favorite dish whereas mine is Ginger Chicken. Excellent taste, texture and flavour

Tandoori Roti's (Kadak...as in stiff).

Chicken Biryani (Rs. 150).....Increased by 10 bucks

I never had CB here but my favorite waiter said MB is not dum today and coaxed me to go for chicken biryani saying it was just out of the handi

And, since he knows exactly how i like it..it came with extra masala and chicken was awesomely marinated and tender completely blended in masalas.

Papaji Ka Dhaba biryani is one of my favorite biryanis in town and it never disappoints me

Total Damages : Rs.590 ( including a generous 35 bucks tip)
Old 10th November 2011, 13:37   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Tandoori Mutton (Rs.200)

They have started making snacks of the day from some months now and this is a unique dish as i dont see this available anywhere. Super yummy
Oh yes. This is not a dish you usually get elsewhere and it was super yumm.

Quote:

whereas mine is Ginger Chicken.
Have to try this during my next visit.
Quote:

Tandoori Roti's (Kadak...as in stiff).
And they are wheat rotis unlike most places where you get Maida rotis.
Quote:

Papaji Ka Dhaba biryani is one of my favorite biryanis in town and it never disappoints me
Have you tasted their pulao rice? Full of flavor and goes well with any gravy.

BTW, where did you park your car? I parked in the basement which has a teeny weeny entrance. Was apprehensive but the guy there guided me into the cellar.
Old 10th November 2011, 13:46   #3904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Have you tasted their pulao rice? Full of flavor and goes well with any gravy.

BTW, where did you park your car? I parked in the basement which has a teeny weeny entrance. Was apprehensive but the guy there guided me into the cellar.
I never tasted their pulao rice as it never wins over the biryani. The 3 signature gravy dishes of Papaji are :-

1. Butter Chicken Boneless (served as a plate)
2. Ginger Chicken (1/2 or full)
3. Chicken Tikka Masala (served as a plate)

I like all 3 but, my favorite is the ginger chicken

I am visiting Papaji from over mid-90's and till date taste for above 3 dishes hasnt changed. The quantity may have come down, prices gone up but, taste remains the same.

Normally, visit them on my bike but, yesterday was in i10 and as basement parking was full the lean chap outside guided me to park it in front of a store ahead.

P.S: I noted, he started stocking up Diet Coke's too. Next time one to wash their awesome spices down ...
Old 10th November 2011, 13:53   #3905
BHPian

Quote:
Papaji Ka Dhaba

avi where is this place , directions please.
Old 10th November 2011, 13:58   #3906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
avi where is this place , directions please.
Its not worth living in Hyderabad if you dont know where Papaji is

The address has been outlined many times in the past on the thread. One final time again :-

When coming from Abids. At GPO, take the left towards Koti and within 50 meters there is a left lane which is popularly known as Jaya International Hotel lane and also famous for being the wholesale spectacle frames market in Hyderabad.

When you enter the lane, go for 100 meters and Papaji will fall on your left hand side.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 13:59   #3907
BHPian

When: Yesterday lunch

Where: Over The Flame

Who: NoRules and 3 friends

What: Basil fried chicken, thyme flavored chicken, golden fried mushrooms, Paprika chicken pizza, Spaghetti arabiata chicken pasta, spicy chicken salad, blue berry cheese cake, chocolate fudge icecream.

Cost: Rs.1076/-

The place is small and when we reached there, almost all the tables were occupied. We placed our order and waited outside for 15 mins before we got a table. The kitchen was super busy and so was the owner who looked harried and was running everywhere.

The food: OTF more than lived upto the expectations except for thyme flavored chicken - I did not find any thyme flavor in it and it was bland. Pizza was the winner. Thin crispy edges, soft middle and lots of toppings - super like. Pasta was good too though I thought the portion size could have been little bigger. Mushroom was another hit but thought they could have given couple of more mushrooms. Salad was fresh and tasty. Basil fried chicken was very good and we ordered another portion. I personally do not eat ice creams / cakes / sweets but tasted both blue berry cake and chocolate fudge. Both were sinfully delicious.

OTF will see me coming more often and I already promised my kids a lunch or dinner next week. All my friends were impressed with the taste of the food and I am sure all of them will come back for more. They thanked me for suggesting the place and I in turn thank you all.

PS: Though I felt the portion size was small, for the money they charge it is good enough. A wholesome lunch for 4 guys for just Rs.1076/- is pretty good.
Old 12th November 2011, 16:15   #3908
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening went to Reshmi's at Parklane for dinner and when we entered to everyone's aghast and my quick eye noted a CC machine faulty board.

I wasnt carrying any cash, Wifey was carrying only her card. Mom and Maasi came along with both their arms nicely swinging

As I am known there, lady offered us a free meal but, to be paid the next day. We settled down and asked for Fresh Lime Soda ( Sorry, not available), Litchee something ( Sorry, not available).

Maji Satak Li ( I got upset).

We got up and headed to our favorite adda, Sholay. Due to entire begumpet stretch being dug up for some cable work, we spent 20 mins in heavy traffic to reach Sholay from there and at 9:30pm. Whew !!!

There was a bengali festival going on there ( 350++). Except me, all are poor eaters, so didnt even contemplate

We ordered :-

Veg Platter : Outstanding like always
Fresh Lime Sodas
Pindi Chole : Excellent and a new discovery. Will eat again
Paneer Butter Masala : Excellent
Rotis and Kulchas : Good
Chicken Biryani : Slurrrp

After the customory stakeholder discount. The damages was just Rs.825 and some take-away

I love this place but, getting bored. Need to stay away for a while....
Old 16th November 2011, 16:58   #3909
BHPian

Hyderabad House, Punjagutta branch closes down due to lack of patronisation by customers, though I feel that customers stopped visiting the place due to declining quality and spiralling prices.
Old 17th November 2011, 08:20   #3910
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening me and some friends decided to try out Dinehill at Masabtank as it was close to the hotel where they were staying

Since most of them were from Mumbai on a visit here and unlike us rice eaters were terrified to see the quantity of the chicken biryani priced at Rs.120

Even I was taken aback when we got the special chicken biryani, it was served in a huge bowl with chicken 65 and egg laid out on top. And, to my surprise considering the ambience and rough style of service, I have to grudgingly admit the biryani was quite good

I noticed at some other table they were served in a HUGE thali. Never saw anything like that before

Overall, parking was an issue, ambience a little shady and definetly not for family but, for guys who want to dig into some good and cheap priced food, do look up this place
Old 17th November 2011, 11:04   #3911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Anyway, nowhere to go so sitting at home idling away the evening, I started browsing some old albums and here I come across a photo of me eating merrily at Souza Lobo in Goa.
Souza Lobo has opened an outlet in Delhi. FYI.
Quote:
I wish to eat a nice Pork Vindaloo!

Any pointers where I can get to eat this dish in Hyderabad?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To my knowledge, Pork Vindaloo is not available anywhere in Hyderabad. Few months back I had a chance to savour Mutton Vindaloo at Ambroasia, a restaurant serving Goan cuisine. But the Vindaloo was nothing to talk home about and I guess that's why the restaurant has closed down as well.

I would also like to have Vindaloo (any meat will do) and if one finds it, please let me know.

Cheers
Quote:
Thanks. My bad. Will have to eat bacon for breakfast to manage.
No more feeling bad. Westin is running a Goan Food Festival till Nov 20,2011. You can have Pork Vindaloo to your heart's content in Hyderabad or ask anyone coming from Delhi to get it parcelled from Souza Lobo.
Old 17th November 2011, 12:00   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed at some other table they were served in a HUGE thali. Never saw anything like that before
That is a Saudi/Gulf/African tradition, where in during any community event, they serve the food in a big plate and everyone eats from that single plate. Have seen the Somalian/Yemeni students having food off this plate N number of times at DineHill. This has also been absorbed by our guys. Have seen this many a times at DineHill, where in he serves Biryani/Grilled Chicken on that plate, where everyone eats from that Big Plate.

Have been a regular patron of DineHill from ages, right from the day they started their first outlet at Masab Tank. It used to be exactly opposite to where it is right now. The building that houses Hotel Basra Pride as of now. This was the exact place, where DineHill started their Business. That was the days, when Grilled Chicken was served only at DineHill and no other place all over Hyderabad. I am speaking about 1997-1998. Then they shifted out to Garden Towers at Masab Tank - First Lancer Road and then back to the present location. Their present location earlier was called as "Hotel Diamond Point", which was very famous for their Irani Chai and Tie Biscuit.

Worth trying at DineHill: Arabic Tandoori Chicken, Khabsa & Mutton Raan. Should also mention their amazing Garlic Sauce, which is had best with Arabic Tandoori Chicken. If you are ordering ATC, then also make sure that you buy an extra box of Garlic Sauce.

Last edited by traveloholic : 17th November 2011 at 12:01.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 14:12   #3913
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been a while that we had a decent chinese meal. So after indulging in north indian and hyderabadi so often, kind of got bored with it

Today planning to visit Ohri "Ming's Court" for dinner

Can anyone recommend some dishes they feel are good? Veg mostly, maybe one NV dish for snack?
Old 17th November 2011, 14:31   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Souza Lobo has opened an outlet in Delhi. FYI.
Thanks. I am aware of it.

Quote:
No more feeling bad. Westin is running a Goan Food Festival till Nov 20,2011. You can have Pork Vindaloo to your heart's content in Hyderabad or ask anyone coming from Delhi to get it parcelled from Souza Lobo.
Hmm, what are you hinting at?
You desire that after attending the concert tonight, you and me go to Westin?
Regret, cannot make it. Just gave the car for servicing. Further, not in a mood for Goan food at the moment, thinking of South Indian for tonight.

By the way, packed food just cannot be the right taste. Food is best had fresh.
Old 18th November 2011, 12:17   #3915
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening went to "Ming Court" from Ohris in Basheerbagh. It must be over 6 months that we have been there last and wanted to enjoy a extensive chinese meal after a long time

The ambience is as splendid as ever and there was not much crowd. The sofas were all taken up but, within 5 minutes someone was leaving so we got our favorite seating place

We ordered the following

1. Hunan Diced Chicken (Rs. 240) : It was spicy, tangy and succulent with loads of special onion ( forgetting the name). Excellent stuff

2. Seasame Corn Toast (Rs. 175) : It was like 2 pairs of bread nicely cut with seasame on top after toasting it. Unique and great taste. Mom loved it

3. Love Bags (Rs.190) : One of the signature items from Ming Court. Delectable as always

4. 3 Mocktails (Rs. 360) : It was specially made by the barman for the 3 ladies. It looked like we were transported to some resort and they were sipping it by the poolside ( pics to follow)

5. Myself being a poor guy stuck to soft drinks

6. Veg Shangai Sczewan Rice & Noodles (Rs.150) : This was mindblowingly excellent. Though slightly on spicy side ( I was cursed at by mom for it). The quality is so easily identifyable that its really high class unlike other smaller joints wherein you can make out the class just by a single morsel of rice or a thread of noodle. Loved it !

7. Mixed Vegetables Chilly/Garlic/Schzewan Gravy (Rs.180) : All of us were bowled over by this dish. It was superb

Total Damages : Rs.1875

They charge 10% SC, ST at some 3.XX% and VAT at 12.5% taking the bill to extreme levels.. Obviously, I didnt leave them a tip. Was I wrong?

After digging into that sinful meal, we ambled down to Havemore and ordered for " Monica Lewinsky (Rs.130) & " Midnight Beauty (Rs.115)" which were the same high quality stuff that we are used from Havemore

From the begining, i enjoyed food photography but, it gets embarrasing to click pictures in restuarant when folks around you are watching. But, i still manage to snap away whereever its possible.

Veg Sesame Toast

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20111117681.jpg

Hunan Diced Chicken

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20111117679.jpg

Attachment 843771

My favorite sczhewan sauce that I liberally use when i am here.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20111117682.jpg

I think this one is the Midnight beauty

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20111117685.jpg

Overall, a satisfying, excellent and stuffed to the gut experience and one of the best two grand spent in a long time

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th November 2011 at 12:20.

Most Viewed